AVS Forum banner

31601 - 31620 of 47741 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I gave it a listen today, I think I know what dead silence is now ;) But I do not think I heard anything new out of my Onix Ref 1s on the H300...

The seller suggested I take the amp to an authorized Hegel repair shop to have it examined and repaired if needed and he will reimburse the cost. I might take up on that offer, however the closest Hegel dealer is 1 hour away without the horrendous LA traffic :(.

Here are more photos of the amp: http://imgur.com/a/GfoK8
ri3eboi: I wouldn't do that, send it fricking back! :eek: I dealing with the same kind of issue with a seller and it's a nightmare! I wonder if it's the same guy! LOL I had a Sony HAP unit, guy said was never opened, I asked him to double box it (Which was his first mistake), he didn't the unit was making a odd sound when playing and it was a screw on the back of the unit, fixed it by replacing it, and then the whole unit died a few days later. Tried to get ahold of him but he was on vacation guy used the excuse of me fixing a screw as me tampering with it (Clown Move) and then files a claim on June 13th doesn't tell me about it, till about a week ago and some how blames me for the whole flipping thing... Send it back as he wasn't honest with you from the very beginning saying it wasn't in mint condition, if shipping did that damage you have no idea what happened internal to the unit, if you didn't see paint flakes inside the box than most likely that volume knob as been that way. Save yourself a huge future headache and send it back!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
ri3eboi: I wouldn't do that, send it fricking back! :eek: I dealing with the same kind of issue with a seller and it's a nightmare! I wonder if it's the same guy! LOL I had a Sony HAP unit, guy said was never opened, I asked him to double box it (Which was his first mistake), he didn't the unit was making a odd sound when playing and it was a screw on the back of the unit, fixed it by replacing it, and then the whole unit died a few days later. Tried to get ahold of him but he was on vacation guy used the excuse of me fixing a screw as me tampering with it (Clown Move) and then files a claim on June 13th doesn't tell me about it, till about a week ago and some how blames me for the whole flipping thing... Send it back as he wasn't honest with you from the very beginning saying it wasn't in mint condition, if shipping did that damage you have no idea what happened internal to the unit, if you didn't see paint flakes inside the box than most likely that volume knob as been that way. Save yourself a huge future headache and send it back!
You know what Garman this is one of the main reasons I really have a hard time with Internet shopping when it comes to equipment this expensive, at least at a dealer you can inspect you can even open the box when you order a new unit to make sure all is in order, not to mention good dealer usually have great customer service. The one thing before buying online or second hand is to verify warranties, historic of the unit itself by asking for serial numbers and double checking them and also ask for original invoice is almost a must since you never know when you can come across some stolen material.

All of this makes it really difficult for me to buy online unless the seller says here are the serial numbers, here is the where I purchased it with original invoice and if manufacturer has transferable warranty then it's a big bonus but sometimes the transferable warranty comes with conditions. For example for Totem speakers I do know it is transferable as long as it's been purchased within the same country it was purchased in originally with an actual proof of purchase so if you have either the original invoice.

Anyhow i encourage people to be very vigilant when it comes to online purchase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in doubt about which pair of (probably) dynaudio speakers I will buy. I have tested the excite X14 and the Focus 220. Both are great speakers, the X14 are very detailed and are sounding big especially for there size. The 220 I found give a warmer sound, more low and a tad smoother but not extremely different. Both I like, I can get a 220 for less than the X14. But I am doubting if a 220 isn't to big for my room. It's 30m2 but it's possible to place the speakers nearly 1 meter away from the wall. On the other side, I have the DM 2/6 now, but I don't like there low end, it's not very powerfull and seems to be hyped in the mid-low section. I am afraid the X14 will be too small, but I cannot afford an X18.

What do you guys think? Should I buy the X14 or the 220's?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I am in doubt about which pair of (probably) dynaudio speakers I will buy. I have tested the excite X14 and the Focus 220. Both are great speakers, the X14 are very detailed and are sounding big especially for there size. The 220 I found give a warmer sound, more low and a tad smoother but not extremely different. Both I like, I can get a 220 for less than the X14. But I am doubting if a 220 isn't to big for my room. It's 30m2 but it's possible to place the speakers nearly 1 meter away from the wall. On the other side, I have the DM 2/6 now, but I don't like there low end, it's not very powerfull and seems to be hyped in the mid-low section. I am afraid the X14 will be too small, but I cannot afford an X18.

What do you guys think? Should I buy the X14 or the 220's?
Well you room is a decent size at 30m2 is more-less 320²ft, How high are the ceilings? I would say the 220 could be a possibility although they have very strong powerful bass. Are we talking 220 MkII or first generation?

The best overall tonal balance would be achieved with the X-14 but not really sure if they produce enough low end for you as your DM 2/6 don't seem to deliver enough I do believe the 220 maybe your best option since the driver size and extension of the 2/6 and X-14 are the same. Could your dealer give you a discount on X-18?

Sometime their is some Focus 160 that can be found for much cheaper than x-18 which could be a good alternative.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
You know what Garman this is one of the main reasons I really have a hard time with Internet shopping when it comes to equipment this expensive, at least at a dealer you can inspect you can even open the box when you order a new unit to make sure all is in order, not to mention good dealer usually have great customer service. The one thing before buying online or second hand is to verify warranties, historic of the unit itself by asking for serial numbers and double checking them and also ask for original invoice is almost a must since you never know when you can come across some stolen material.

All of this makes it really difficult for me to buy online unless the seller says here are the serial numbers, here is the where I purchased it with original invoice and if manufacturer has transferable warranty then it's a big bonus but sometimes the transferable warranty comes with conditions. For example for Totem speakers I do know it is transferable as long as it's been purchased within the same country it was purchased in originally with an actual proof of purchase so if you have either the original invoice.

Anyhow i encourage people to be very vigilant when it comes to online purchase.
Big Al: I agree with you, but I don't have the luxury of a good dealer carrying the equipment I like anymore near me, the one I did like switched over to gear I do like at all. This is the second unit in 20 years of doing internet sales that I have had broke, and the guy had 100% feedback and seemed like a good guy to deal with... I have been asking for receipts lately, especially if the gear is new, that way it's much easier to get stuff repaired under Warranty etc.. I asked the guy for this he stated he had it, then said he never said such things, but the ironic thing is I have it in a e-mail stating so. If the dumb ass would have told me he did a FedEx Claim back on July 13th and not have waited till last week this would be all over with, and on top of the e-mails asking him to double box the unit 4 different times as well! Some people just don't have common sense! :eek: Totally agree with your last statement!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Big Al: I agree with you, but I don't have the luxury of a good dealer carrying the equipment I like anymore near me, the one I did like switched over to gear I do like at all. This is the second unit in 20 years of doing internet sales that I have had broke, and the guy had 100% feedback and seemed like a good guy to deal with... I have been asking for receipts lately, especially if the gear is new, that way it's much easier to get stuff repaired under Warranty etc.. I asked the guy for this he stated he had it, then said he never said such things, but the ironic thing is I have it in a e-mail stating so. If the dumb ass would have told me he did a FedEx Claim back on July 13th and not have waited till last week this would be all over with, and on top of the e-mails asking him to double box the unit 4 different times as well! Some people just don't have common sense! :eek: Totally agree with your last statement!
I could not agree more with you not everything is black or white, it just makes it more difficult and this is why I just encourage people to do background check on equipment and make sure the warranty is not void once you have it in hand. I am sure next time you will ask for a picture of the actual original invoice ;)

Trust me it's difficult sometime you have to take a gamble and it's sometimes very hard to resist to a piece you have been wanting for a long time. I am one of the lucky ones that has a crazy amount of hi-fi equipment withing 30 miles, and this includes dealers selling stuff like Magico and Sonus Faber, I also know in Canada their is only one distributor for Raidho if I ever wanted a pair i can deal with my dealer directly since he has a contact with the distributor. i feel lucky in that regard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well you room is a decent size at 30m2 is more-less 320²ft, How high are the ceilings? I would say the 220 could be a possibility although they have very strong powerful bass. Are we talking 220 MkII or first generation?

The best overall tonal balance would be achieved with the X-14 but not really sure if they produce enough low end for you as your DM 2/6 don't seem to deliver enough I do believe the 220 maybe your best option since the driver size and extension of the 2/6 and X-14 are the same. Could your dealer give you a discount on X-18?

Sometime their is some Focus 160 that can be found for much cheaper than x-18 which could be a good alternative.
Thanks for the reply!

It's the first generation focus 220. The ceilings are a bit special, at the back around 140cm but a meter in front 220cm. (it's not square)

The DM 2/6 sound a little thin with a bit of a mid bass bump. But I like there big soundstage, detail/clarity and excellent tweeter (it's fast but not harsh). Therefore, and because I can ues the 2/6 as surrounds, I like to buy something from Dynaudio to upgrade. The Focus 220 sounds a lot fuller, but I am afraid I will loose detail and soundstage compared to the 2/6. I have to admit I do not use stands for them right know, maybe this will give a improvement ?

Budget is around 1000 euro. I can get the 220 for 850 and the X14 (with discount already) including stands for 1000 exactly. I am afraid I don't get the X18 for the same price.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Budget is around 1000 euro. (...) I am afraid I don't get the X18 for the same price.
With 1000 Euros you should easily be able to get a pair of used Excite X16.
It's the previous model to X18.
I heard it a few years ago and it sounds excellent.
It would give you the increase in bass which you are looking for.

That said, it also matters what amp you're using with your speakers bass-wise.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

It's the first generation focus 220. The ceilings are a bit special, at the back around 140cm but a meter in front 220cm. (it's not square)

The DM 2/6 sound a little thin with a bit of a mid bass bump. But I like there big soundstage, detail/clarity and excellent tweeter (it's fast but not harsh). Therefore, and because I can ues the 2/6 as surrounds, I like to buy something from Dynaudio to upgrade. The Focus 220 sounds a lot fuller, but I am afraid I will loose detail and soundstage compared to the 2/6. I have to admit I do not use stands for them right know, maybe this will give a improvement ?

Budget is around 1000 euro. I can get the 220 for 850 and the X14 (with discount already) including stands for 1000 exactly. I am afraid I don't get the X18 for the same price.

I think X-18 are 1450euros if I base myself on the 1200£ british price tag. Indeed the DM are not harsh nor are the X-14, Have you looked at other options on the used market? I would like to think those 2 options are at your preferred dealer?
2m20 is still not a very high ceiling, is 2m20 the highest point or is there a higher point somewhere in the middle? Your room would be perfect with a standard 2m40 8foot standard North American ceiling. At 2m20 everywhere it would still be OK I guess if your highest point is 2m44, it might actually work with the 220, I am just a little concern about room boundaries. Your biggest challenge is not room size but the shape and height of your ceiling. Is there a possibility for an in home audition? Some times dealer will accommodate you like this, you pay equipment in full and they give you 10 days to return it.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Just to clarify, the equipment we use, whether at the factory or at shows, isn't an endorsement that these brands are "the best", or even the best match.
Honestly; I think this is just common sense...and anyone who were to assume otherwise, isn't using their noggin' :)

Let's see: since I've been participating in this thread...we've had SEVERAL "best" matches, with Dyn speakers; usually...whatever electronics that user has, at that moment in time...lol

When I first came aboard...it was C-J, in large part to PumaCat and RaceTripper; and Simaudio was touted as a great pairing for a while. Now it's NAIM...and Hegel is a darling; and Aaron always kept Belles in the conversation (and David, does actual voice...with Dyns).

Reactions: Matro5

·
Registered
251 Posts
we've had SEVERAL "best" matches, with Dyn speakers; usually...whatever electronics that user has, at that moment in time...lol
(...)
Now it's NAIM...and Hegel is a darling
Well, there's some truth to that :) However I do think there are people in this thread who have owned/tested their speakers vs. multiple different brands/models of amps and thus have a good foundational knowledge for making comparisons between what they think worked for them and what didn't.

I suppose the best advice would be to read reviews and comments/suggestions on forums (even this one :) ) with a grain of salt and then let your ears be the judge.
That is, you gotta go out and listen to whatever options for amps that are within reach for you financially and geographically.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think X-18 are 1450euros if I base myself on the 1200£ british price tag. Indeed the DM are not harsh nor are the X-14, Have you looked at other options on the used market? I would like to think those 2 options are at your preferred dealer?
2m20 is still not a very high ceiling, is 2m20 the highest point or is there a higher point somewhere in the middle? Your room would be perfect with a standard 2m40 8foot standard North American ceiling. At 2m20 everywhere it would still be OK I guess if your highest point is 2m44, it might actually work with the 220, I am just a little concern about room boundaries. Your biggest challenge is not room size but the shape and height of your ceiling. Is there a possibility for an in home audition? Some times dealer will accommodate you like this, you pay equipment in full and they give you 10 days to return it.
Sorry I have to correct myself, it's 2m45 after measuring, highest point.

It's not possible to test the focus 220 at home, because I will buy them not from a shop. The excite will be possible I think, not asked but I think this dealer will sure help me in this situation.

After all, I came across a set of Focus 140 for 800 euro including stands. Seems like a nice deal maybe. Will these give me the strengths of a 2/6 with a fuller bottom end? On hifishark I cannot find my country (Netherlands).
@hbjdk amplifier btw is (for now) the Marantz SR6001.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Sorry I have to correct myself, it's 2m45 after measuring, highest point.

It's not possible to test the focus 220 at home, because I will buy them not from a shop. The excite will be possible I think, not asked but I think this dealer will sure help me in this situation.

After all, I came across a set of Focus 140 for 800 euro including stands. Seems like a nice deal maybe. Will these give me the strengths of a 2/6 with a fuller bottom end? On hifishark I cannot find my country (Netherlands).
@hbjdk amplifier btw is (for now) the Marantz SR6001.
At 2m45 you have I assume for the most party of the ceiling, the 220 will work well considering you have 320²ft or 30²*m. The 140 could be another good alternative. Wish you could listen in your room but I would say the 220 are a relatively safe bet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
At 2m45 you have I assume for the most party of the ceiling, the 220 will work well considering you have 320²ft or 30²*m. The 140 could be another good alternative. Wish you could listen in your room but I would say the 220 are a relatively safe bet.
hmm difficult choise . .
Gives a 140 a different sonic character or is it just a smaller version of the 220?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
hmm difficult choise . .
Gives a 140 a different sonic character or is it just a smaller version of the 220?
Unfortunately I have not heard the 140 only the 160 so It's hard for me to comment on it, Not sure if someone else can chime in to describe the 140 sound. Basically I am just saying that it might be a good alternative since it has more air displacement than the X-14 and DM 2/6 from it's larger woofer.

EDIT:Only from lab measurements, we could see there is a high frequency roll-off passed 15k so it should should pretty nice and warm.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/dynaudio-focus-140-loudspeaker-measurements#iCG7CU3cErp4ZQXE.97

·
Registered
314 Posts
Let's see: since I've been participating in this thread...we've had SEVERAL "best" matches, with Dyn speakers; usually...whatever electronics that user has, at that moment in time...lol

When I first came aboard...it was C-J, in large part to PumaCat and RaceTripper; and Simaudio was touted as a great pairing for a while. Now it's NAIM...and Hegel is a darling; and Aaron always kept Belles in the conversation (and David, does actual voice...with Dyns).
Yep. Exactly this. I'm just waiting for it to be Shindo's turn to be the favored pairing around here, as I'd love to drive my 160s with some exotic green tube gear, but I could use a little moral support before I really take the plunge.

:)

31601 - 31620 of 47741 Posts