AVS Forum banner

31801 - 31820 of 47732 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
To echo Callas above, many of us have dealt with several dealers and it certainly wouldn't hurt to write each one and ask for a quote.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Wow, they sound like they are going to be truly phenomenal, because the C4's are pretty damn amazing as far as Bass perfomance goes...
Think of all the trouble they went to do the controlled directivity of the C2s, C4s, and evidence speakers. I think that pays off big dividends in the clarity and precise imaging of these speakers. I am no expert but i think it must be an even bigger positive in less than perfectly acoustic rooms, like mine.

·
Banned
125 Posts
Yes tyler can help you from just about anywhere. I think many of us here have used him, I have - great guy.

If you're on the west coast Sunil at Sunny components in CA (I use him also)or dedicated audio in AZ, Audio Visions Northern California. Premier Acoustic Lifestyles in TN (and I think Florida also). In Living Stereo in NY.

There was a guy on the forum here @ClydeOberholt if you go back a page or 6 and he was setting up the X38s in his showroom and took a few pictures, he's on the forums so I'm sure he could help too!

Sunil at Sunny components in CA - Talked with this guy once and he offered no discount, and was worse than a used car salesman. Probably the worst experience I've ever had with a Dyn dealer. I wouldn't give him a penny. I've had two other people I've done business with state the same sentiment without even knowing how I felt.

Dedicated Audio - Good place for discontinued stuff, but they're pretty firm on price on the current models.

To sum it up, most dealers recommended here on this forum that cut you a "deal", are only going to go 10%, if that. There are dealers that will give you a better deal than those recommended.

I would suggest getting on Dyn's website, and spend a few hours calling dealers around the country. You'll find a few here and there that aren't so proud of their dealer status and will give you a real deal.

I've never understood the type of dealer that is so stuck on MSRP, or close to it, that he would rather make no money off you, than to give you a good deal and make some money. I mean, you are calling from out of state. You are a free customer from another region. That's what I mean by being too proud. They forget there are hundreds of other dealers willing to make a buck today. Use that to your advantage.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Idk what you do for a living, but I don't easily give away my money. I do work with my repeat customers on discounts and price breaks. However that said I've worked with Tyler and Sunil, and they both been very good to me. YMMV.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Has anyone here compared Focus 160 to KEF LS50?

Yes. The 160s have a big advantage in the bass. They go a lot lower and the bass is cleaner at higher volumes. The 160s also have a fuller sound and can do justice to recordings which are larger in scale. The two speakers are somewhat evenly matched in the midrange, both being fairly neutral. The LS50s have a more forward soundstage presentation, maybe a little more low treble output that enhances detail, and sharper imaging. So they give you a little better illusion of performers in the room on good recordings. The 160s are a little more laid back, smoother, and more forgiving. IMO, the 160s are a more well rounded speaker. They can handle a wider variety of music. The LS50s are pretty impressive when playing well recorded vocals and small-scale acoustic stuff, but they don't rock and don't convey the weight & scale of orchestral recordings. And they can be harder on poor recordings.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Well FedEx came through, check finally in hand since this debacle took place back in May... Sent unit it for repair, crossing fingers it's an easy fix, because it's one of the better Music Servers I have heard for the money, that is for sure.. Made my Dynaudio Sing!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've never understood the type of dealer that is so stuck on MSRP, or close to it, that he would rather make no money off you, than to give you a good deal and make some money. I mean, you are calling from out of state. You are a free customer from another region. That's what I mean by being too proud. They forget there are hundreds of other dealers willing to make a buck today. Use that to your advantage.
Dealers have to make ends meet too. Maybe you've heard the joke:
Q: How do you make a small fortune in audio retail?
A: Start with a large fortune

I've never worked in audio sales, but from everything I've heard and read and seen, it's not a business that's going to make you rich. I'm sure most dealers understand what margins you need to make (on average) to stay in business. If you give a sweeter deal to every random schmuck who asks for it, you won't make your margins and won't stay in business. And if you try to make it up in volume by selling out of your area and undercutting other dealers, you risk getting cut off by manufacturers and importers. Then you end up out of business or trying to make a living off the grey market. Manufacturers who allow their dealers to undercut each other like that will soon find a shortage of dealers, distributors, and importers willing to represent them.

If you don't need any of the traditional services that dealers provide such as auditions, system matching, advice, setup help, support, or service, then just buy used.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Sunil at Sunny components in CA - Talked with this guy once and he offered no discount, and was worse than a used car salesman. Probably the worst experience I've ever had with a Dyn dealer. I wouldn't give him a penny. I've had two other people I've done business with state the same sentiment without even knowing how I felt.

Dedicated Audio - Good place for discontinued stuff, but they're pretty firm on price on the current models.

To sum it up, most dealers recommended here on this forum that cut you a "deal", are only going to go 10%, if that. There are dealers that will give you a better deal than those recommended.

I would suggest getting on Dyn's website, and spend a few hours calling dealers around the country. You'll find a few here and there that aren't so proud of their dealer status and will give you a real deal.

A couple of things. A dealer has to make money to stay in business. How much can be debated. Dealers can lose their line if caught selling too low because like you say they should only make a couple of bucks rather than nothing. You also have to consider territories. You have a dealer within 50 mi from you home but you buy on-line to save a few buck Plus tax. Now you have a problem within the warranty period. The distributor or manufacturer asks for a receipt and sees you skirted the local dealer. The dealer you bought from probably just lost his right to sell that brand anymore.

How much do they have invested in inventory? What is the markup? If a product is selling reasonably well at a 10% discount why sell for less? Also consider warranty. You just bought some new speakers for let's say 3K and the dealer made $200. Now you have a problem aren't you wanting to let the dealer handle the problem or are you content with working with the manufacturer or distributor yourself? Again go back to territories.

Not trying to start an argument but maybe you should just look for pre-owned and take your chances that they were never abused. There are no territories or rules for pre-owned.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts

I've never worked in audio sales, but from everything I've heard and read and seen, it's not a business that's going to make you rich. I'm sure most dealers understand what margins you need to make (on average) to stay in business. If you give a sweeter deal to every random schmuck who asks for it, you won't make your margins and won't stay in business. And if you try to make it up in volume by selling out of your area and undercutting other dealers, you risk getting cut off by manufacturers and importers. Then you end up out of business or trying to make a living off the grey market. Manufacturers who allow their dealers to undercut each other like that will soon find a shortage of dealers, distributors, and importers willing to represent them.

If you don't need any of the traditional services that dealers provide such as auditions, system matching, advice, setup help, support, or service, then just buy used.
OK I'm a little late but +1

·
Banned
125 Posts

I run my own successful business. I understand business.

To not carry on an argument, and state this simply. If you had the chance to make $1,000 off of a guy who calls you today, or make nothing...which would you choose? Let's just assume the person has no local dealer so the territory argument is moot.

Margins on these speakers is 40+%. This isn't a case of them not making enough. Most stock limited inventory as it is, so all they are is a middle man making thousands for a simple phone call and drop ship. I don't feel sorry for them and neither should you. I was just making a point. If the dealer chooses to be a tightwad, and make nothing, so be it. I move on and spend my money elsewhere.

Nonetheless, I've done exactly what I stated. I don't have a local dealer. If 10% is a great discount for you, then fine. Just know that, as with any product, shopping around will benefit you.

To address your last sentence too; just because you don't need the services you mentioned, doesn't mean you have to buy used. They have nothing to do with one another.

·
Banned
125 Posts
@shample
Have you considered a Dyn retail shop? 40+ % seems pretty good.
I've considered a home audio retail store before. I just don't think it's for me. I already have a successful business and day trading on the side creates a second revenue stream. I'm happy where I am.

There is money to be made though. These guys aren't hurting for money as some rumors suggest.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I've considered a home audio retail store before. I just don't think it's for me. I already have a successful business and day trading on the side creates a second revenue stream. I'm happy where I am.

There is money to be made though. These guys aren't hurting for money as some rumors suggest.
I would normally agree if you had a steady stream of customers. But that's not always the case. It's not like Dynaudio is the bargain basement of speakers. Although IMO they have some of the best values for the quality of sound paid for even at retail. One fantastic thing about Dyn's they have everything from a laid back sound to a very forward and punchy sound so they do have a wide variety for most folks.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I run my own successful business. I understand business.

To not carry on an argument, and state this simply. If you had the chance to make $1,000 off of a guy who calls you today, or make nothing...which would you choose? Let's just assume the person has no local dealer so the territory argument is moot.

Margins on these speakers is 40+%. This isn't a case of them not making enough. Most stock limited inventory as it is, so all they are is a middle man making thousands for a simple phone call and drop ship. I don't feel sorry for them and neither should you. I was just making a point. If the dealer chooses to be a tightwad, and make nothing, so be it. I move on and spend my money elsewhere.

Nonetheless, I've done exactly what I stated. I don't have a local dealer. If 10% is a great discount for you, then fine. Just know that, as with any product, shopping around will benefit you.

To address your last sentence too; just because you don't need the services you mentioned, doesn't mean you have to buy used. They have nothing to do with one another.
What is your business? What do you sell?

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I would normally agree if you had a steady stream of customers. But that's not always the case. It's not like Dynaudio is the bargain basement of speakers. Although IMO they have some of the best values for the quality of sound paid for even at retail. One fantastic thing about Dyn's they have everything from a laid back sound to a very forward and punchy sound so they do have a wide variety for most folks.
But here is the thing, too many people are going online to places like forums and asking for the cheapest deals they can find. They don't care about service and support, they want to use their prime shipping account and have the speaker delivered to them, they're too lazy to go to a dealer and audition speakers. Who goes to Kroger and argues the price of eggs and bread??

The. What's a deal for one person may be different to another. I've paid -10% on things from Sunil but made payments for 6 months interest free for things I didn't want to pay $1000 for upfront for. So the benefit of a small discount and interest free payments was better for me then one lump payment. I've also bought things outright and received 22% off for doing so. I paid less then the asking price on Amazon for my Marantz 7007 from Sunil when they launched the 7009. When I bought my Integra from him I told him here's the most I'm going to spend, he said come pick up your receiver. Tyler has let me trade in things for full retail value (XS-2) and I paid far less then the retail price for the U2. So to say you can't get great deals is BS! But call my business and just be some Joe Schmo I'm not giving you the same benefits as my loyal customers get. I don't expect them to either.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
A couple of things. A dealer has to make money to stay in business. How much can be debated. Dealers can lose their line if caught selling too low because like you say they should only make a couple of bucks rather than nothing. You also have to consider territories. You have a dealer within 50 mi from you home but you buy on-line to save a few buck Plus tax. Now you have a problem within the warranty period. The distributor or manufacturer asks for a receipt and sees you skirted the local dealer. The dealer you bought from probably just lost his right to sell that brand anymore.

How much do they have invested in inventory? What is the markup? If a product is selling reasonably well at a 10% discount why sell for less? Also consider warranty. You just bought some new speakers for let's say 3K and the dealer made $200. Now you have a problem aren't you wanting to let the dealer handle the problem or are you content with working with the manufacturer or distributor yourself? Again go back to territories.

Not trying to start an argument but maybe you should just look for pre-owned and take your chances that they were never abused. There are no territories or rules for pre-owned.
Yeah, I see where you are coming from, however I've worked in this industry and I KNOW what the markups are... My local dealer wouldn't even come off MSRP at all! I refuse to pay full retail for anything such as this, so I went with a dealer out of territory that would.

·
Banned
125 Posts
So to say you can't get great deals is BS! But call my business and just be some Joe Schmo I'm not giving you the same benefits as my loyal customers get. I don't expect them to either.
No one stated you can't get great deals. The point was that you can, by shopping around. In regards to Sunny's, I'm not the only one that's had a bad experience with that guy. Maybe he just likes you. Great. But you just suggested a forum member call him for a deal, and now you are stating to not expect a deal from him unless you're a loyal long time customer. Which is it?

If he doesn't cut a deal. You go elsewhere. There is no wrong perspective here. We all make and spend our own money how we feel. Shopping around for any product is good practice.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
But here is the thing, too many people are going online to places like forums and asking for the cheapest deals they can find. They don't care about service and support, they want to use their prime shipping account and have the speaker delivered to them, they're too lazy to go to a dealer and audition speakers. Who goes to Kroger and argues the price of eggs and bread??

The. What's a deal for one person may be different to another. I've paid -10% on things from Sunil but made payments for 6 months interest free for things I didn't want to pay $1000 for upfront for. So the benefit of a small discount and interest free payments was better for me then one lump payment. I've also bought things outright and received 22% off for doing so. I paid less then the asking price on Amazon for my Marantz 7007 from Sunil when they launched the 7009. When I bought my Integra from him I told him here's the most I'm going to spend, he said come pick up your receiver. Tyler has let me trade in things for full retail value (XS-2) and I paid far less then the retail price for the U2. So to say you can't get great deals is BS! But call my business and just be some Joe Schmo I'm not giving you the same benefits as my loyal customers get. I don't expect them to either.
I totally agree with you Callas, you guys may of noticed that I have been demoing a lot of equipment lately, in fact I always have been able to demo pretty much what I want...and I do not ever put a deposit down, or leave a credit card number(don't have one).This is because I have built up a trust with my dealer(local) over time, and have spent a lot of money there...and like you, he allows me to buy things with a small deposit, and pay the rest off over time, granted, i do not usually ask for a huge discount, because he allows me to do this, otherwise I probably would never be able to buy any of the equipment I have. Sadly, he is closing up shop in just over a month, but I can still order things through him, as he will continue to serve his loyal customers from home. He, also told me of a guy that wanted to trade in those Sopra 2's I demoed at another store and a Bryston cube amp on some gear he had in his store, yet the guy lives in this city, but bought the Sopra's in Montreal, and my local dealer sells Focal...so he refused to give this guy any kind of deal, he actually felt kind of insulted that he even asked.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
No one stated you can't get great deals. The point was that you can, by shopping around. In regards to Sunny's, I'm not the only one that's had a bad experience with that guy. Maybe he just likes you. Great. But you just suggested a forum member call him for a deal, and now you are stating to not expect a deal from him unless you're a loyal long time customer. Which is it?

If he doesn't cut a deal. You go elsewhere. There is no wrong perspective here. We all make and spend our own money how we feel. Shopping around for any product is good practice.
I never suggested Sunil would or would not cut a deal. I only recommend him as an optional dealer to work with. However, The first time I bought from him I got 22% off my X16, the second 30%. The next time I bought I got $150 off an $850 center channel, no tax, then I traded up to 160s and got $500 off on top of trade-in. The next time I wanted to make monthly payments and got 15% off my 210C plus $850 trade up of the X22 and paid him off in 6 months. The next time 18% off and 6 months of payments in DM2/6s. Then I bought my Marantz for $799. Then I bought a turntable and was told 10% off pay as u want.

The first time I used tyler I got 20% off. The second I traded in my Nait 5i plus $1k for the XS-2, then I traded in the XS-2 for the U2 plus $1450, do the math there. Then I traded in the 160s for 260s plus $2k - the 160s sold for $1800.

Me I felt like I've gotten decent prices or were willing to work with me to get what I want in a manner it was financially feasible to do so, I know they need to make a living also.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Quote from 6Moons review of the Focus 260:

"The treble is handled by a 28mm silk dome tweeter with a new profile. Initially Dynaudio declared it as the Esotar2 but eventually called it Esotec2. I suspect this is some kind of trick simply to justify the more expensive Dynaudio ranges."
Whoever the source for that information was, even if it came from inside Dynaudio, it is not true. It may have been confusion caused by the 380 having the Esotar2. As mentioned, the back chamber and the dome/voice coil grade is different, and that is the two most differentiating parts of the tweeters.

Esotar2 back chamber left, T380 back chamber right.

31801 - 31820 of 47732 Posts