AVS Forum banner

31901 - 31920 of 47724 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Hi Dynaudio fans: I accompanied a friend to MONACO a-v in Pasadena (CA), where the fellows very nicely demo'd us some M10s among other stuff. My friend really liked those, and was fairly settled on M20s (with ELAC UniFi's as dark horse contenders...but we both felt that while those are good, our feeling in the absence of a direct comparison was that the Dynaudios had more clarity).

Talking afterwards, though, it seems what would really fit his bill would be wireless active speakers. He will basically run everything into an Apple TV, and streams all his music, stereo only.

I'm looking for insight as to different Dynaudio active models, since it was not too clear to me from the website. One set-Excite, I believe-appeared to have analog inputs, which is not what he needs. Can any of the sets simply accept a streaming signal, like from his Apple TV? And if so, is there any way to accommodate a subwoofer if I decide to follow suit? (My friend is in an apartment and can't listen too loud, so he's not as concerned about that).

It kinda seems to me his optimum would be a Focus 400XD and he would need a Connect? But perhaps some other models would work? And then what is the price of the speaker(s) and the Connect?

Fortunately I have convinced him it makes sense to drop a lot of money on speakers that will last him a long time. For space and flexibility, he is NOT interested in towers, and while I'm normally their strong proponent in this case I'm fine with it.
What's his budget? Which Apple TV does he have also? The new gen4 doesn't have optical out, only hdmi, I don't know of any active speakers that have hdmi inputs. It does have Bluetooth so perhaps they can see each other and that would work. If he has the Gen 3 then the optical out will work with the Xeo 2 direct cause it has an optical input. The Xeo 4 or 6 and the XD I believe would need a connect or hub for optical input.

Otherwise Hour friend could just go the more traditional route.... Speaker cables to passive speakers

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Hi Dynaudio fans: I accompanied a friend to MONACO a-v in Pasadena (CA), where the fellows very nicely demo'd us some M10s among other stuff. My friend really liked those, and was fairly settled on M20s (with ELAC UniFi's as dark horse contenders...but we both felt that while those are good, our feeling in the absence of a direct comparison was that the Dynaudios had more clarity).

Talking afterwards, though, it seems what would really fit his bill would be wireless active speakers. He will basically run everything into an Apple TV, and streams all his music, stereo only.

I'm looking for insight as to different Dynaudio active models, since it was not too clear to me from the website. One set-Excite, I believe-appeared to have analog inputs, which is not what he needs. Can any of the sets simply accept a streaming signal, like from his Apple TV? And if so, is there any way to accommodate a subwoofer if I decide to follow suit? (My friend is in an apartment and can't listen too loud, so he's not as concerned about that).

It kinda seems to me his optimum would be a Focus 400XD and he would need a Connect? But perhaps some other models would work? And then what is the price of the speaker(s) and the Connect?

Fortunately I have convinced him it makes sense to drop a lot of money on speakers that will last him a long time. For space and flexibility, he is NOT interested in towers, and while I'm normally their strong proponent in this case I'm fine with it.
My suggestion would be to listen to the Xeo series and XD Series and see what he likes. The Xeo 2 where excellent room filling speakers with great clarity but I still like to have the Amps separate (old school) and I just run my Apple TV through my Dac... and have access through my iTunes library via AIFF files which works out well as I can stream into 3 different rooms this way. There is a ton of different ways to do this as there are a ton of streams out, but since you already have a Apple TV you might as well unitize it.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
What's his budget? Which Apple TV does he have also?
My suggestion would be to listen to the Xeo series and XD Series and see what he likes.
I think he's going to snag the Apple TV with optic out. But while of course he could do passive speakers, I think we both like the wireless idea. Well, first of all we like the active idea, and as a loudspeaker engineer I like the DSP because you can do so much with crossover and time alignment and then internal biamplification.

Now, while optic is possible, what I want to know is if it is possible to really go wireless and HOW. Seems like you can do it with a Connect module.

Budget is not a huge consideration; he was thinking to drop $3k on M10s and a Peachtree then we started discussing spending more on speakers. (And the part we didn't get to was persuading him to spend some of that on a bigger better TV. Which is difficult, because he says he doesn't watch that much. I just keep telling him that a better TV will be more enjoyable when he DOES watch it).

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Now, while optic is possible, what I want to know is if it is possible to really go wireless and HOW. Seems like you can do it with a Connect module.
All following prices are MSRP in USD

With the Xeo 2s, you would need to buy a separate Xeo Hub or Dynaudio Connect, depending on whether you want 16/44 or 24/192 transmission capabilities respectively. I think you may also need to buy a Xeo Master Remote for $50 additionally.
Xeo 2 - 1,599
Xeo Hub - 299
or
Dynaudio Connect - 450

The Xeo 4 and Xeo 6 sets come with the Hub or Connect depending on how much you pay for the set
Xeo 4 w/Hub - 2,399
Xeo 4 w/Connect - 2,549
Xeo 6 w/Hub - 3,999
Xeo 6 w/Connect - 4,149

The Focus XD comes with the Dynaudio Connect, and for 24/192, you must run a coax cable from your source to one of the XD speakers, which wirelessly transmits to the other speaker.
Focus 200 XD - 7,000
Focus 400 XD - 11,000
Focus 600 XD - 13,500

To use the speakers with a sub, you will need to use either the Xeo Hub or Dynaudio Connect in the multi-room mode, and buy a separate Xeo Link for your subwoofer. This limits quality to 16/44, which is still CD quality.

If anyone sees that my post is inaccurate, feel free to correct me below.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
What's his budget? Which Apple TV does he have also?
My suggestion would be to listen to the Xeo series and XD Series and see what he likes.
I think he's going to snag the Apple TV with optic out. But while of course he could do passive speakers, I think we both like the wireless idea. Well, first of all we like the active idea, and as a loudspeaker engineer I like the DSP because you can do so much with crossover and time alignment and then internal biamplification.

Budget is not a huge consideration; he was thinking to drop $3k on M10s and a Peachtree then we started discussing spending more on speakers. (And the part we didn't get to was persuading him to spend some of that on a bigger better TV. Which is difficult, because he says he doesn't watch that much. I just keep telling him that a better TV will be more enjoyable when he DOES watch it).
XEO 5 on Agon for under $2K. I have XEO 3 and think they are great. You can find those for around $1k or under now. Can't use sub with these models.

·
Registered
110 Posts
As an owner of X34 now I have one comment about the X34s' (detachable) feet: hope that for the next-generation models the feet can have tilt function. The reason is this is quite a short floorstander (93cm high) so normally when I sit, my ears are above the tweeter level, and this may cause problems of phase alignment (between woofers & tweeters) and a change in tonal balance. If the feet can be somehow adjusted for slight tilting backwards then it will be easier to make changes and achieve the sound I want.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts

With the Xeo 2s, you would need to buy a separate Xeo Hub or Dynaudio Connect, depending on whether you want 16/44 or 24/192 transmission capabilities respectively. I think you may also need to buy a Xeo Master Remote for $50 additionally.
Xeo 2 - 1,599
Xeo Hub - 299
or
Dynaudio Connect - 450

The Xeo 4 and Xeo 6 sets come with the Hub or Connect depending on how much you pay for the set
Xeo 4 w/Hub - 2,399
Xeo 4 w/Connect - 2,549
Xeo 6 w/Hub - 3,999
Xeo 6 w/Connect - 4,149

The Focus XD comes with the Dynaudio Connect, and for 24/192, you must run a coax cable from your source to one of the XD speakers, which wirelessly transmits to the other speaker.
Focus 200 XD - 7,000
Focus 400 XD - 11,000
Focus 600 XD - 13,500

To use the speakers with a sub, you will need to use either the Xeo Hub or Dynaudio Connect in the multi-room mode, and buy a separate Xeo Link for your subwoofer. This limits quality to 16/44, which is still CD quality.

The xd's only do 24/192 when you use a cable to the master speaker AND a cable from the master to the slave speaker.If you only run the cable to the master and link it to the other one wirelessly,it only does 24/96 i believe...i have not tried mine wireless since i have the necessary cables.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
As an owner of X34 now I have one comment about the X34s' (detachable) feet: hope that for the next-generation models the feet can have tilt function. The reason is this is quite a short floorstander (93cm high) so normally when I sit, my ears are above the tweeter level, and this may cause problems of phase alignment (between woofers & tweeters) and a change in tonal balance. If the feet can be somehow adjusted for slight tilting backwards then it will be easier to make changes and achieve the sound I want.
Roland150
Are you not using the spikes under your speakers?If you are,you can extend the front 2 spikes out as far as you can,then screw the back 2 spikes in as far as they go...which should give you a slight tilt back.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts

Then if it were me, I'd probably go for the Xeo 2 for your friend in his smaller apartment. He can connect the Apple TV directly to the Xeo 2 and still buy a new tv on a $3k budget. Later if he wants to ditch the optical direct he can purchase the Dynaudio Connect for $500 (or up his budget $500 now of course not discussing possible discounts). 2 power outlets will be required to power the speakers and the flexibility of wall or stand mounting.

·
Registered
548 Posts

Xeo 2 - 1,599
Xeo Hub - 299
or
Dynaudio Connect - 450

Xeo 4 w/Hub - 2,399
Xeo 4 w/Connect - 2,549
Xeo 6 w/Hub - 3,999
Xeo 6 w/Connect - 4,149

Focus 200 XD - 7,000
Focus 400 XD - 11,000
Focus 600 XD - 13,500

Is it just me, or are the XD prices way out of line considering the Focus models they are based on?

I've been interested in active speakers for a long time. After being pleasantly surprised by how good the Focus 160s turned out to be, I tried to talk myself into the 400 XD. But couldn't stomach the $11000 price tag. Until recently when stock finally ran out, I could buy a new pair of 260s for $2800. Add a Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 which has similar TI-based digital amplification for $5000. I wouldn't get the benefit of digital crossovers, but I would get room EQ, sub crossover, more inputs, flexibility, and better resale value. For a total of $7800 instead of $11500 for the 400 XD + Connect.

What really killed my interest was the new Contour. For the price of the 400 XD, I can buy the new C30 plus a Hegel H160 (that is, if I didn't already have suitable amplification). Does anyone think the 400 XD would outperform the C30 + H160 combo? I don't.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
What really killed my interest was the new Contour. For the price of the 400 XD, I can buy the new C30 plus a Hegel H160 (that is, if I didn't already have suitable amplification). Does anyone think the 400 XD would outperform the C30 + H160 combo? I don't.
I totally get your point; I also think you're outside of the target audience for the general XD crowd. Convenience is going to be a huge factor for people considering that line of speakers, but I'm sure they sound great as well (haven't heard them yet).

The thing that keeps me from jumping in with both feet is that, I have a pair of PSB Alphas from the early 1990s and a pair of Contour 1.3 Mk1s from the mid 90s. Both pairs still work great over 20 years later, and I'm not sure that speakers with everything built in will age as well. I definitely do like the idea of an all-in-one solution though. It seems so simple in terms of both use and the amount of components you need.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Regarding convenience, it also seems to me that Dynaudio is missing a few obvious features that would make their DSP-based active speakers attractive to more buyers.

For example, they should offer a Connect with multiple HDMI inputs and HDMI passthrough output. A lot of people have or want simple systems with two speakers, a TV, and a handful of devices with HDMI outputs (cable box, BDP, streaming media player, game console). As it is now, they would still need a pre/pro or AVR just for HDMI source switching and to provide a coax or optical output for the speakers. If Dynaudio added HDMI inputs and a delay time setting for syncing the audio and video, the Connect would be all the pre/pro they need.

Since there is already a DSP engine in the speakers, why not offer some parametric EQ for addressing bass modes? I would really like this feature. I use Audyssey in my Marantz AV8801 for the HT system, and I'm using two bands of digital parametic EQ via my Linn DS to cut down 35 Hz and 42 Hz modes in my other system. I would find it hard to give this up, which is part of what drove me away from the XD.

Finally, how about a sub crossover? The Connect documentation shows how to connect a sub via the Link, but with no crossover. Since they're working in the digital domain, they could offer a transparent sub crossover and with time alignment too.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Since there is already a DSP engine in the speakers, why not offer some parametric EQ for addressing bass modes? I would really like this feature. I use Audyssey in my Marantz AV8801 for the HT system, and I'm using two bands of digital parametic EQ via my Linn DS to cut down 35 Hz and 42 Hz modes in my other system. I would find it hard to give this up, which is part of what drove me away from the XD.

Finally, how about a sub crossover? The Connect documentation shows how to connect a sub via the Link, but with no crossover. Since they're working in the digital domain, they could offer a transparent sub crossover and with time alignment too.
I think that "complexity vs simplicity" is what answers why Dynaudio doesn't pursue something like that for now. The whole "plug and play" concept is more and more difficult to promote when you add more options.

The easy comparison in my mind is Apple vs Android. Many like using Apple products because they "just work" when you use them. Android typically offers more flexibility and user-based decisions at the expense of simplicity in use.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Although I don't consider myself an audiophile per se, I do, however, appreciate great sound. I own 200 XD and I'm almost happy with them. Why almost? Although they sound great, they are nothing like C1 Platinums, which I would have bought if they were wireless.

Like amatuerholic says, the Focus XD line was created for a specific audience. I know that many audiophiles love the idea of assembling their own system and constantly mix n matching components, but to me it seems like an unnecessary hassle. I love the simplicity of XD line and that's why I decided to go with 200 XD. Not to mention they are the best sounding wireless loudspeakers out there.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I love the simplicity of XD line and that's why I decided to go with 200 XD. Not to mention they are the best sounding wireless loudspeakers out there.
I think the 600 XD might give them a run for best sounding wireless loudspeaker ;)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Anyone here compare Emit and (new) Excite speakers head to head?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts

Xeo 2 - 1,599
Xeo Hub - 299
or
Dynaudio Connect - 450

Xeo 4 w/Hub - 2,399
Xeo 4 w/Connect - 2,549
Xeo 6 w/Hub - 3,999
Xeo 6 w/Connect - 4,149

Focus 200 XD - 7,000
Focus 400 XD - 11,000
Focus 600 XD - 13,500

Is it just me, or are the XD prices way out of line considering the Focus models they are based on?

I've been interested in active speakers for a long time. After being pleasantly surprised by how good the Focus 160s turned out to be, I tried to talk myself into the 400 XD. But couldn't stomach the $11000 price tag. Until recently when stock finally ran out, I could buy a new pair of 260s for $2800. Add a Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 which has similar TI-based digital amplification for $5000. I wouldn't get the benefit of digital crossovers, but I would get room EQ, sub crossover, more inputs, flexibility, and better resale value. For a total of $7800 instead of $11500 for the 400 XD + Connect.

I'm with you on the price of the XD line. If the 400 was at a better price point I would definetly consider them. Just add a streamer, Aries of Aries Mini, and be done with it. Unfortunately that won't happen unless the price drops or o score on a used pair. Like you I'm positive I can, and have, put together a better system for less.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I agree on both the pricing and features of the XD. I sorta expected they would offer a bit more for a bit less. I have never lived with a set however.

Can you just plug a chrome cast audio into a set btw? I think it supports 24 bit 96khz

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I agree on both the pricing and features of the XD. I sorta expected they would offer a bit more for a bit less. I have never lived with a set however.

Can you just plug a chrome cast audio into a set btw? I think it supports 24 bit 96khz
Is chrome cast hdmi? If so then no.

31901 - 31920 of 47724 Posts