AVS Forum banner

32261 - 32280 of 47732 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Where are you pulling this information? I've always been under the assumption the 260 was a 2.5 way as well.
Focus 260 is 2-way, according to engineering (12 dB/Octave on the tweeter by the way:) ) This is also what is stated on the website:

http://www.dynaudio.com/discontinued-models/focus/focus-260/

Even I have in the past been under the impression that it was a 2.5 way, so I won't blame anyone for assuming that. The original brochure did not include information about the crossover at all, so I guess that many, like myself, assumed 2.5 way as this would be the common approach. Probably including some Dynaudio employees - a limited amount of employees actually have access to all the engineering details.

Even though the C30 is listed as a 2.5 way, it still only lists one crossover point and not the low pass on the second woofer.
C30 is a 2.5 way. At this point we don't disclose the rolloff point for the half-way. Whether we will at some point, I can't say.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Otto, thanks for all the interesting info and details. Really insightful and good sport on Dynaudio having someone like you.
When I bought my 400XD's the dealer told me the 400s had kind of a different approach to the crossover meaning that the extra woofer acted more like a help in the low frequencies making the speaker sound like a two-way rack speaker, but having the extra punch and lower-end frequenzy capabilities. Was he right or did I misunderstand something? My ears are telling me he is right :D
He isnt working there anymore, he got hired by some speaker company, so I cant go there and ask him to elaborate.

@shample
While I agree with most of your points and facts you are approaching it wrong if your goal is to convince anyone, which must be your goal since you get so frustrated when people do not agree without backing up with facts.
If you take the high horse on scientific approach you need to post som references or even links to your statements. Otherwise they are no different than other "facts" of cables or similar posted here.
And also really, tone down on your small stabs on peoples education or intelligence, it does not help with peoples regard for highly educated people of nature science.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Otto, thanks for all the interesting info and details. Really insightful and good sport on Dynaudio having someone like you.
When I bought my 400XD's the dealer told me the 400s had kind of a different approach to the crossover meaning that the extra woofer acted more like a help in the low frequencies making the speaker sound like a two-way rack speaker, but having the extra punch and lower-end frequenzy capabilities. Was he right or did I misunderstand something? My ears are telling me he is right :D
He isnt working there anymore, he got hired by some speaker company, so I cant go there and ask him to elaborate.
Hm, who could that have been...

Basically this incredibly handsome and intelligent salesperson was explaining the fact that the 400 XD is a 2.5 way speaker. The top woofer plays full range, the bottom woofer only adds output at low frequencies. A 2.5 way can be tuned in various ways, with different goals, and with very different rolloff characteristics of the lower woofer. The 400 XD was designed, as explained, to sound as much as possible like a 200 XD, but with better low frequency output. The 600 XD is a "proper" 3-way, with a smaller midrange, and this design gives the possibility of higher total output, but lacks some of the "smoothness" that a good 2-way standmounter has, especially at shorter listening distances. A large 3-way generally needs a bit more room to breathe, so to speak.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I just updated the specs a bit, with corrections to the frequency response of the 30 and the 25C, as well as adding the rolloff point of the second woofer in both: 300 Hz.

Added info from Daniel, the acoustics engineer responsible for the tuning:

The reason we state "2nd order" and not "12 dB/octave" is that there are ways to modify a 2nd order crossover, that changes the slopes to be different from an actual 12 dB/octave, while still technically being a 2nd order crossover. This is done partly to improve the phase response of the overall speaker, not just the filter. One area where the Contour differs from a normal 12 dB/octave filter, is that normally with "standard" 12 dB filters you would have to reverse the polarity of the tweeter to have a smooth frequency response. In the Contour, even though the filter is technically 2nd order, the rolloffs are modified to allow the tweeter to be in phase, yet have a smooth frequency and phase characteristic between the drivers once you factor in the response of the actual drivers themselves.

As the actual rolloffs are varying, it would be complex and not actually very useful to state the actual rolloff characteristics, so we choose to specify them as "2nd order", although the real story is deeper than that.

I'm sure this will cause just as many questions as it puts to rest, but I don't think I can go much more into detail than that, without giving away information that we don't want to share.

By the way, the models are now listed on the website. Unfortunately we are still waiting for the final photoshoot, so no, we still aren't where we need to be regarding showing the available finishes properly. We also just changed the backend for our complete website, so realistically there will be some days of instability and lacking information on the website, for which we can only apologise. Work in progress :)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I just updated the specs a bit, with corrections to the frequency response of the 30 and the 25C, as well as adding the rolloff point of the second woofer in both: 300 Hz.

Added info from Daniel, the acoustics engineer responsible for the tuning:

The reason we state "2nd order" and not "12 dB/octave" is that there are ways to modify a 2nd order crossover, that changes the slopes to be different from an actual 12 dB/octave, while still technically being a 2nd order crossover. This is done partly to improve the phase response of the overall speaker, not just the filter. One area where the Contour differs from a normal 12 dB/octave filter, is that normally with "standard" 12 dB filters you would have to reverse the polarity of the tweeter to have a smooth frequency response. In the Contour, even though the filter is technically 2nd order, the rolloffs are modified to allow the tweeter to be in phase, yet have a smooth frequency and phase characteristic between the drivers once you factor in the response of the actual drivers themselves.

As the actual rolloffs are varying, it would be complex and not actually very useful to state the actual rolloff characteristics, so we choose to specify them as "2nd order", although the real story is deeper than that.

I'm sure this will cause just as many questions as it puts to rest, but I don't think I can go much more into detail than that, without giving away information that we don't want to share.

By the way, the models are now listed on the website. Unfortunately we are still waiting for the final photoshoot, so no, we still aren't where we need to be regarding showing the available finishes properly. We also just changed the backend for our complete website, so realistically there will be some days of instability and lacking information on the website, for which we can only apologise. Work in progress :)
I like how the new site allows you to see the new finishes...but some are still missing...

·
Registered
55 Posts
hey guys,

I'm about to get a pair of Emit M20s and was wondering if it would go well with my NAD D 7050. Does anyone have any thoughts on this setup?. I live in a modest apartment and these will go in the living room that's roughly 16' x 12' placed 2' from the rear wall (measured from the front baffle) and 6' apart (measured from the center of the drivers). Is this a good position for these speakers?. Any recommendations wrt to toe-in?.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
hey guys,

I'm about to get a pair of Emit M20s and was wondering if it would go well with my NAD D 7050. Does anyone have any thoughts on this setup?. I live in a modest apartment and these will go in the living room that's roughly 16' x 12' placed 2' from the rear wall (measured from the front baffle) and 6' apart (measured from the center of the drivers). Is this a good position for these speakers?. Any recommendations wrt to toe-in?.

Thanks in advance.
jinxddeep: The NAD D7050 shouldn't have any issues running the Emit M20, down the road however you could go with a good Int. Amp and or a separate Pre amp/Amp combo to get more out of them.... 6 feet you should be fine with them, but typically you get a more open soundstage in you can get them further apart, of course you need to work with room dimensions and acoustics so I would experiment with them toed in etc... I have a new pair in my main listening room while I break them in a bit and then I will be moving them to my office, very good speaker for the money and even with some of the minor tweaks they sound better to me than the Excite 12's.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Focus 260 is 2-way, according to engineering (12 dB/Octave on the tweeter by the way:) ) This is also what is stated on the website:

http://www.dynaudio.com/discontinued-models/focus/focus-260/

Even I have in the past been under the impression that it was a 2.5 way, so I won't blame anyone for assuming that. The original brochure did not include information about the crossover at all, so I guess that many, like myself, assumed 2.5 way as this would be the common approach. Probably including some Dynaudio employees - a limited amount of employees actually have access to all the engineering details.

C30 is a 2.5 way. At this point we don't disclose the rolloff point for the half-way. Whether we will at some point, I can't say.
I had 2 dealers tell me that they were 2.5 way and they were told by Dyn NA. And one of them even gave me the exact description you just gave about the XD400/200vabout sounding exactly like my previous 160s until the lower frequencies are called.

Either way I'm happy with their performance as a 2 or 2.5 way.

Reactions: Matrixman18

·
Banned
125 Posts
I had 2 dealers tell me that they were 2.5 way and they were told by Dyn NA. And one of them even gave me the exact description you just gave about the XD400/200vabout sounding exactly like my previous 160s until the lower frequencies are called.

Either way I'm happy with their performance as a 2 or 2.5 way.
Same here, Callas. I've actually put my ears to the woofers, in the past, and thought the upper woofer sounded more extended. I own a pair but they're put away because I'm testing something else currently. I'm going to pull them out later, remove the crossovers, and see what's going on with them. I'm not saying Otto is providing false information. I'm just curious now of the circuit design.

·
Registered
55 Posts
jinxddeep: The NAD D7050 shouldn't have any issues running the Emit M20, down the road however you could go with a good Int. Amp and or a separate Pre amp/Amp combo to get more out of them.... 6 feet you should be fine with them, but typically you get a more open soundstage in you can get them further apart, of course you need to work with room dimensions and acoustics so I would experiment with them toed in etc... I have a new pair in my main listening room while I break them in a bit and then I will be moving them to my office, very good speaker for the money and even with some of the minor tweaks they sound better to me than the Excite 12's.
thank you so much for that info...especially the last bit...i actually had the opportunity to buy both the M20s and the Excite 12's for the same price
(both used) and was confused which one to go with. I settled on the M20s in the end since, apart from being really good, they are also newer gen. Once I get them I will experiment with placement and find out what works best for me.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Same here, Callas. I've actually put my ears to the woofers, in the past, and thought the upper woofer sounded more extended. I own a pair but they're put away because I'm testing something else currently. I'm going to pull them out later, remove the crossovers, and see what's going on with them. I'm not saying Otto is providing false information. I'm just curious now of the circuit design.
I'm passing on info from the engineers, but I'll double check monday.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Otto J,

When will the Contour C20's start shipping?
Depends on your area. Small batches are going out now, mostly for shows and reviews around the world. Production should be ramping up in the coming weeks. I don't have the schedules, but we might touch November before meaningful numbers hit the US.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Contour 20s at RMAF

In case anyone is interested Mike confirmed that the Contour 20s will be at the RMAF next weekend. They will be in Room 7024.

David.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
George, is that Tyler's room?

32261 - 32280 of 47732 Posts