AVS Forum banner

32781 - 32800 of 47717 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
To be honest, I think it's a fair comparison.
Woah. I see a long C20 vs. C30 audition in my future. If the C20 can do that then the C30 must be a bass monster!

Any ideas if dealers take a trade-in on discontinued models?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Dynaudio cannot allow New Contour to cannibalize Confidence for long. Makes me wonder if Munich High End will see a huge product launch? Special40, New Confidence, and Confidence XD?

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Good Music for Testing on the Dyns, all depends on your tastes I guess!

Anges Obel Citizen of Glass some of her other previous CDs are excellent! Very well recorded.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Very good choice!!!
Bluvette: Last year she came to Stoughton, WI where she has cousins and played their and I was floored on how talented she was.. Voice like an angel, but she can also play just about any instrument.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mal: I had pair of Xeo2 and never experienced boomy bass, did you make sure that the switches on the bottom of the speaker where switched for how they are suppose to be placed? That can play a huge role on how they sound! Did you use Dynaudio Stands or a different stand? I found my Primacoustic stands sounded better than the stands they sell, but I wanted more bass so maybe I would give them a try.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/04/punch-a-higher-floor-with-the-dynaudio-xeo-2/
Would you mind describing where in the room you placed your speakers, the room dimensions, and what you had them sitting on? (Bookshelf vs stands vs wall-mounted can all greatly affect the sound, much less putting them in a corner or against a wall)

Good luck with your search!
Thanks for your time guys. I actually tried the Xeo 4s and found them to be a more natural sound. But I actually ended up getting a great deal on the X14A (which is basically the Xeo 4) and a Cambridge Audio CXN network streamer/DAC which if you ask me is superior to the Dynaudio Connect (the CXN supports AirPlay for example) and gives me more flexibility if I move into a larger space and end up one day getting Contour 20s (and an amp)

Quick question - are there any stands suitable for the X14A that will "stick" them so they don't fall off? Similar to the mounted C1s I had.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Thanks for your time guys. I actually tried the Xeo 4s and found them to be a more natural sound. But I actually ended up getting a great deal on the X14A (which is basically the Xeo 4) and a Cambridge Audio CXN network streamer/DAC which if you ask me is superior to the Dynaudio Connect (the CXN supports AirPlay for example) and gives me more flexibility if I move into a larger space and end up one day getting Contour 20s (and an amp)

Quick question - are there any stands suitable for the X14A that will "stick" them so they don't fall off? Similar to the mounted C1s I had.
Stand 6X or Stand 3X Most speakers are heavy enough they won't fall off, unless you have kids running round. Sand fill them and that becomes less of an issue, usually.. If your going to use these stands for the Contour 20 down the road you might look at the 6x. I heard good things about the CXN unit....

·
Banned
125 Posts
Woah. I see a long C20 vs. C30 audition in my future. If the C20 can do that then the C30 must be a bass monster!
Don't forget the old adage that "there is no replacement for displacement". I would assume the 260 can still scale better than the C20. The C20 driver will have more extension, but the 260 has dual drivers and a larger enclosure which is why it digs deeper. My guess is the increased extension of the C20 driver will help it keep up with the 260 in bass volume, but would lack scale overall, and also drop off much sooner than the 260; which is backed up by the -3db point on the spec sheets.

Let's also not forget how Dyn has marketed the center magnet larger voice coil design as superior for the past 30 years. Accuracy should be better on the 260, but I doubt they'd admit it under the current marketing scheme.

For those that are getting "dreamy" about the marketing of the Contour's increased bass at high volume levels; did you ever feel your Dyn's lacked bass? IMO, I've always felt they, as a whole, rode the line of too much or just right.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts

By blue tack or quakehold earth quake putty they won't fall or slide off the stands

·
Registered
54 Posts
Stand 6X or Stand 3X Most speakers are heavy enough they won't fall off, unless you have kids running round. Sand fill them and that becomes less of an issue, usually.. If your going to use these stands for the Contour 20 down the road you might look at the 6x. I heard good things about the CXN unit....
Ok cool, is there a difference between the Stand 3x and the Stand 3? I see the Stand 3 available online for a discount...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dynaudio Excite X18 vs Dynaudio LYD 7:

-Cabinet dimensions virtually identical
-Bass extension virtually dentical (44 hz vs 45 hz)
-~ $1758 USD (X18) vs $1338 USD (LYD 7)

...and the LYD 7 is active, built-in amps, DSP crossover, and adjustable EQ.

Seems like the LYD 7 is much more bang for the buck than the X18.

Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Dynaudio Excite X18 vs Dynaudio LYD 7:

-Cabinet dimensions virtually identical
-Bass extension virtually dentical (44 hz vs 45 hz)
-~ $1758 USD (X18) vs $1338 USD (LYD 7)

...and the LYD 7 is active, built-in amps, DSP crossover, and adjustable EQ.

Seems like the LYD 7 is much more bang for the buck than the X18.

Or am I missing something?
I am sure the excite 18 has better quality drivers,specs do not tell the whole story.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Ok cool, is there a difference between the Stand 3x and the Stand 3? I see the Stand 3 available online for a discount...
3x you can hide larger wires like a power cord on the XEO 4. Other than that I don't believe there is a difference.

·
Banned
125 Posts
Why would you be sure of that?

And even if they're a hair better, the advantages of an active crossover are quite large.

I'll agree that they have nicer cabinets.
They are designed for two totally different markets. You are making an assumption that all speakers with the same size drivers and cabinets sound the same.

I believe Dynaudio has stated that the pro audio line uses lower level drivers.

Ask yourself why the active Focus 200XD is $7,000 and the Lyd is so much cheaper. That might be a better question.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Why would you be sure of that?

And even if they're a hair better, the advantages of an active crossover are quite large.

I'll agree that they have nicer cabinets.
Depends on your application, the LYD are made for the Pro market (as stated above) and are more of a NearField Speaker, they excel at low volume and make them perfect for editing rooms and home studios etc..Frankly they would be great speaker next to a computer monitor and if your sitting close up of course. I recently heard a pair at a Studio near me that sells them, I wouldn't use them in a larger room setup though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Don't forget the old adage that "there is no replacement for displacement". I would assume the 260 can still scale better than the C20. The C20 driver will have more extension, but the 260 has dual drivers and a larger enclosure which is why it digs deeper. My guess is the increased extension of the C20 driver will help it keep up with the 260 in bass volume, but would lack scale overall, and also drop off much sooner than the 260; which is backed up by the -3db point on the spec sheets.
Same here, as much as I want to believe it, I would not think that a comparison between C20 and Focus 260 is "fair" in terms of bass unless there are some kinds of LF restrictions in such comparison. For C20's woofer to move the air like dual woofers of 260 it must have crazy excursion limit, not to mention the enclosure.

Talking about bass I really love how the very big speakers (like Magico S7 or Focal Grande Utopia) can pull off the bass. The ultra low-frequency bass just effortlessly diffuses into the room, mildly vibrates things and makes me feel a bit cold :rolleyes: The last time I heard the Consequences, they were in such a huge room that their bass performance was not apparent and I got no ideas how they would compare with the other ones.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I'm not saying C20 beats F260 in every way. I'm saying the comparison is "fair". I will argue that C20 is closer to F260 than F160 wrt bass, and superior to both in many other areas. Same can be said comparing to Contour 1.4/3.4 LE.

And I've already stressed that it's not about "more bass", but what happens to the bass as you increase in volume. In any speaker, the -3 dB point is only valid up to a certain output level. Above that, it starts compressing lower frequencies. More low frequency dynamic range means the stated frequency response can be achieved at higher output levels, and the speaker sounds less strained. Again, I'm not saying it beats the F260 in this particular regard (although I've not heard them directly against each other), but it's at least in the ballpark.

Please reserve judgement until you hear it :)

32781 - 32800 of 47717 Posts