AVS Forum banner

32801 - 32820 of 47741 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Dynaudio Excite X18 vs Dynaudio LYD 7:

-Cabinet dimensions virtually identical
-Bass extension virtually dentical (44 hz vs 45 hz)
-~ $1758 USD (X18) vs $1338 USD (LYD 7)

...and the LYD 7 is active, built-in amps, DSP crossover, and adjustable EQ.

Seems like the LYD 7 is much more bang for the buck than the X18.

Or am I missing something?
I have a pair of BM Compact MKIII and BM5 MKIII's which were replaced by the LYD's and have been quite impressed with both...

·
Registered
88 Posts
*Better* is a complete apples vs oranges issue when comparing active vs passive speakers as there a huge difference in the required damping factor.

A directly-coupled amp with an active crossover mandates a very different drive arrangement -- using a passive driver would result in an over-damped system.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I'm not saying C20 beats F260 in every way. I'm saying the comparison is "fair". I will argue that C20 is closer to F260 than F160 wrt bass, and superior to both in many other areas. Same can be said comparing to Contour 1.4/3.4 LE.

And I've already stressed that it's not about "more bass", but what happens to the bass as you increase in volume. In any speaker, the -3 dB point is only valid up to a certain output level. Above that, it starts compressing lower frequencies. More low frequency dynamic range means the stated frequency response can be achieved at higher output levels, and the speaker sounds less strained. Again, I'm not saying it beats the F260 in this particular regard (although I've not heard them directly against each other), but it's at least in the ballpark.

Please reserve judgement until you hear it :)
Otto is doing a great job trying to get all of us Focus lovers on the New Contour bandwagon!

Depending on how the wind blows this next Super Tuesday, we'll see how my job prognosis looks lol. Trump would not be a boon for those of us working in the world of transatlantic relations. No job, no Contour... obviously.

Greetings from Heidelberg :)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Dynaudio Excite X18 vs Dynaudio LYD 7:

-Cabinet dimensions virtually identical
-Bass extension virtually dentical (44 hz vs 45 hz)
-~ $1758 USD (X18) vs $1338 USD (LYD 7)

...and the LYD 7 is active, built-in amps, DSP crossover, and adjustable EQ.

Seems like the LYD 7 is much more bang for the buck than the X18.

Or am I missing something?
Completely different products for two different markets. One is for near field desktop use and the other is not.

More of a puzzle to me is X14A/Xeo2/Xeo4. They are all too similar IMO and would be a place for product reduction.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
True...but the BBC LS3/5a was originally intended as a nearfield monitor, as well. That didn't stop it from becoming adopted and loved by audiophiles.
Good point, and I think the same can be said for it's "tribute" speaker, the KEF LS50...and others like it.

·
Banned
125 Posts
*Better* is a complete apples vs oranges issue when comparing active vs passive speakers as there a huge difference in the required damping factor.

A directly-coupled amp with an active crossover mandates a very different drive arrangement -- using a passive driver would result in an over-damped system.
"Apples vs oranges".....isn't that your whole argument? You are comparing a cheap active speaker against a more expensive passive one. What does damping factor have to due with the differences between the two? You can make 1 million different combinations utilizing the damping of the amplifier with a passive speaker, while you are stuck with what you have with the active one.

Why you chose the X18 as a comparison is still puzzling. If you wanted to compare too totally different products in a similar range, then why aren't you singling out the Emit 20?

You keep referencing "active crossover" as if the monitor lets you pick your points and slopes like a true DSP would. The term DSP is thrown around too often on a lot of these active speakers when most of them (not just Dynaudio) give you a few EQ boosts or cuts and not much more. A true DSP would allow full active control; crossover points and slopes, time delay adjustments, independent EQ for all drivers, gain control, etc.

In the end, as many people have stated, the monitor is a near field speaker. If you think the limited "DSP" in the Lyd speakers will outweigh a better outboard amplifier, better drivers, and a better cabinet, then go for it. Just remember that Dynaudio offers many active speakers, in many price ranges, and you are looking at the one one that is the cheapest and made for a specific purpose; to be listened to at close range.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I don't agree with your definition of DSP. Digital Signal Processing is DSP, whether or not you get any control over the DSP, doesn't change that it is DSP. The crossover of LYD is done in DSP (well, actually plus a coil on the woofer that helps the amp perform better). Other than that, I agree with your post above.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

I am not sure I know what you mean by a "passive driver".

·
Registered
32 Posts
My desision is made.

Went to our local dealer and they just got both a C20 and C30, last Friday, so I don't think they are broken in yet, but they sounded great. They were driving them with Simaudio. I will be ordering the C30 once they can figure out lead times and stuff. My plan is to drive them with Parasound Halo, should have enough amps to drive them nicely. Satin Walnut will be our finish choice. AudioVision in San Fransisco is the place.

David.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Went to our local dealer and they just got both a C20 and C30, last Friday, so I don't think they are broken in yet, but they sounded great. They were driving them with Simaudio. I will be ordering the C30 once they can figure out lead times and stuff. My plan is to drive them with Parasound Halo, should have enough amps to drive them nicely. Satin Walnut will be our finish choice. AudioVision in San Fransisco is the place.

David.
Nice! Which Parasound Halo amp? I've got a pair of JC1's running my mains and currently an A31 on my center and surrounds (will be getting another JC1 for my center in the next month or 2) and I've been very happy with them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice! Which Parasound Halo amp? I've got a pair of JC1's running my mains and currently an A31 on my center and surrounds (will be getting another JC1 for my center in the next month or 2) and I've been very happy with them.
The plan is to use the A31 for the mains and center (25c). Maybe in not too distant future upgrade the mains to something from Pass Labs, like a X150.8. I am going to try and use the Xeo2 for the surrounds also heard them today and they would be perfect for that.

David.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts

David.
I couldn't help noticing what looks like Nordost Odin speaker cables,from what I can see hooked up to the c30's...which cost more than the speakers:D:p

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The plan is to use the A31 for the mains and center (25c). Maybe in not too distant future upgrade the mains to something from Pass Labs, like a X150.8. I am going to try and use the Xeo2 for the surrounds also heard them today and they would be perfect for that.

David.
Nice, you should be quite happy with that setup! Once I get the 3rd JC1 I'm going to use a pair of BM6 MKIII's for surrounds.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You keep referencing "active crossover" as if the monitor lets you pick your points and slopes like a true DSP would. The term DSP is thrown around too often on a lot of these active speakers when most of them (not just Dynaudio) give you a few EQ boosts or cuts and not much more. A true DSP would allow full active control; crossover points and slopes, time delay adjustments, independent EQ for all drivers, gain control, etc.
No, I'm using "active crossover" in the way that applies to both analog and digital crossovers used in active studio monitors, i.e:

1. It happens before the amplification stage
2. It isn't a simple passive LCR network using inductors, capacitors and resistors

It's not synonymous with "outboard".

The LYD series all use DSP (as-in, it's digital and it's done by a DSP chip using taps) for their crossovers (P.S. it also has tilt control, adjustments for location, etc). This allows for phase adjustments and extreme slopes that isn't possible in the analog domain. Ever notice that the mid-woofers on the LYDs extend up to the 4k-5k range? That's almost certainly because of the ability to use massively steep slopes.

Prior Dynaudio studio active monitors, such as the BM MKII series and the original BM series, also had active, analog crossovers.

As far as superior external amps....well, there are a lot of speaker designers (e.g. Andrew Jones) who believe a purpose-designed amp to suit a particular driver usually gives better results, at least for a given price point, than a general purpose external amp feeding through a power-sucking passive crossover.

·
Registered
88 Posts

David.
I'd really like to compare/contrast with Contour 20 with the ATC SCM 19.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
32801 - 32820 of 47741 Posts