AVS Forum banner

32881 - 32900 of 47718 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
GT,do they play louder than the 260's,as Otto has mentioned numerous times?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
GT,do they play louder than the 260's,as Otto has mentioned numerous times?
Hard to say as the setup at JS was sooooo different than what I have at home and Joe didn't want me cranking them too much as he had other customers, phone calls, etc. They were easily able to fill the room with sound at the volumes I heard...quite effortlessly so.

Reactions: no quarter

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I think I will add that the C30 (at least in that setup/room) definitely offered a more 3D sound in a sense that the layers were more pronounced. It would be like looking at not just one "wall" of sound but perhaps first a smaller wall, then the one behind it, and the one behind it. The "wall" on the Focus 260 is less 3D perhaps in general. But then again, it would take putting my 260s in the same room with the same amplification to really know for sure.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I think I will add that the C30 (at least in that setup/room) definitely offered a more 3D sound in a sense that the layers were more pronounced. It would be like looking at not just one "wall" of sound but perhaps first a smaller wall, then the one behind it, and the one behind it. The "wall" on the Focus 260 is less 3D perhaps in general. But then again, it would take putting my 260s in the same room with the same amplification to really know for sure.
GT,that is exactly the effect I get when listening to my xd 600's running from my 272...it is like depth of the soundstage is very 3 dimensional.I also hear the same thing when I switched from SN2, to the 272/250dr,everything is more lifelike...as if in the room with the band,as opposed to a stereo trying to reproduce the sound of a band,if that makes any sense...good to hear!

·
Banned
125 Posts
I would say the overall sound was more jaw-dropping than foot-tapping. Meaning, I would say the entire setup made me feel more absorbed in a relaxed way, laid back. I came home to repeat the tracks at home on my lowly system and the Focus 260 + NAIM SN2 combo, while not as smooth, coherent, or linear, was definitely more forward and aggressive I'd say. The C30 definitely has the edge on treble smoothness and mid-range clarity. The 260 still seems to want to dig deeper at times and offer that more sub-woofer-like bass response, whereas this would be too "vulgar" for the C30 setup I heard.

The fit-and-finish of C20/C30 is wayyyy ahead of Focus and on-par or better than Confidence. No surprise here. From this standpoint, the C30 is deserving of its nearly 100% price premium over the Focus 260 ($7000-ish vs. $4000-ish) BUT from a sound standpoint, it is not twice the speaker. It is far superior than the Old Contour I heard. It is Focus + improvement in every way + far superior fit and finish + a healthy dose of literally rounding and polishing all of the edges, both physically and from a sound signature standpoint. That is the best I can put it.
I'd be more interested to hear comparisons on the same equipment before making any decision one way or the other. There is a huge difference in sound between different brands of amplification, and also a $5,000 integrated amp vs. $300,000 worth of separates.

I think the most surprising of your comments is you stating that the Focus 260 is not as coherent as the C30. That is one of the shining factors of the 260, and what lacks in the lower Dynaudio lines.

·
Banned
125 Posts

This has a lot to do with placement and position; mostly.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I'd be more interested to hear comparisons on the same equipment before making any decision one way or the other. There is a huge difference in sound between different brands of amplification, and also a $5,000 integrated amp vs. $300,000 worth of separates.

I think the most surprising of your comments is you stating that the Focus 260 is not as coherent as the C30. That is one of the shining factors of the 260, and what lacks in the lower Dynaudio lines.
Then I would say, based on my experience, the coherency is augmented. It was simply seamless. But you are right, hardly apples vs. apples here.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Its a bit hard to tell sarcasm on teh internets. Were you impressed with the sound? I have only heard a pair of Watt Puppies 15+ years ago, but the Wilson website makes me want to gag with all the non-science audiophile type hyperbole.

I used to think they looked cool but the designs look a bit dated now to me (all models)
Personally not my taste in terms of look, the sound is good and cabinets absolutely silent but i find them a bit dull sounding for what ever reason.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Um, was the back wall of that listening room just brick with no absorption panels??? :confused:
Panels in the corners but otherwise bare.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
This has a lot to do with placement and position; mostly.
I am not so sure about that Shample,in my 2 channel room I have my speakers sitting on granite slabs,which I do not move,differences in 3D soundstage I hear were from switching from excite 12's to xd 600's...also when switching from Naim SN2,to Naim 272/250dr,in both cases the speakers were basically in the exact same spot,better speakers and better electronics do affect 3D imaging/soundstage in my room.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Disclaimer: the C30s I auditioned arrived at JS Audio 24 hours ago. I was one of the first to demo them. They were not broken in.

All in all, I have to stick with the "sublim coherency" descriptor. Just a smooth, 3D wall of sound throughout the range. Excellent imaging to boot. The speaker was dead quiet when it needed to be. In addition to the $300K+ of equipment that was powering the C30s, the front end was a Roon / TIDAL setup on a Mac Pro laptop, all in a specially treated room.

I would say the overall sound was more jaw-dropping than foot-tapping. Meaning, I would say the entire setup made me feel more absorbed in a relaxed way, laid back. I came home to repeat the tracks at home on my lowly system and the Focus 260 + NAIM SN2 combo, while not as smooth, coherent, or linear, was definitely more forward and aggressive I'd say. The C30 definitely has the edge on treble smoothness and mid-range clarity. The 260 still seems to want to dig deeper at times and offer that more sub-woofer-like bass response, whereas this would be too "vulgar" for the C30 setup I heard.
I wonder how much this will change once they get broken in... You are definitely going to have to return and find that out for us!

·
Banned
125 Posts
I am not so sure about that Shample,in my 2 channel room I have my speakers sitting on granite slabs,which I do not move, differences in 3D soundstage I hear were from switching from excite 12's to xd 600's...also when switching from Naim SN2,to Naim 272/250dr, in both cases the speakers were basically in the exact same spot,better speakers and better electronics do affect 3D imaging/soundstage in my room.
The fact that your speakers are placed on granite is moot. I've heard many speakers play a flat good stage, and then after hours of position changes and toe in trials, they all of the sudden leave the room leaving nothing behind but a huge stage with 6+ feet of depth and a huge sweet spot.

Comparing the tiny x12 to the full size xd600 floor stander doesn't make much sense. You gained HUGE scale. That in itself plays a huge roll in stage presentation.

No one stated electronics don't lend a hand, but most people don't spend enough time properly positioning their speakers to give them their best shot. WAF and/or the way they look in a room plays a huge role in deciding where speakers are placed.

I currently have a room that is longer than it is wide. The normal seating position is way too far away from my speakers. I've got my speakers placed the best I can within the room. I've probably spent 100 hours tweaking placement over the years. They have to stay where they are until I buy a new home in the next few years. That being said, I can pull the speakers out 3 feet more into the center of the room, and toe them in; they all of the sudden create a huge extremely deep stage that they can't play where they are now.

We can agree to disagree.

·
Registered
110 Posts

The fit-and-finish of C20/C30 is wayyyy ahead of Focus and on-par or better than Confidence. No surprise here. From this standpoint, the C30 is deserving of its nearly 100% price premium over the Focus 260 ($7000-ish vs. $4000-ish) BUT from a sound standpoint, it is not twice the speaker. It is far superior than the Old Contour I heard. It is Focus + improvement in every way + far superior fit and finish + a healthy dose of literally rounding and polishing all of the edges, both physically and from a sound signature standpoint. That is the best I can put it.
So the earlier review which states that the C20 is smooth and not so suitable for rock/EDM is true? I am so curious about these... Maybe in a month I will get the chance to listen to the new Contours.

For the appearance of these, as much as I like the wooden finish, I still can not stand how the baffle does not match at all in terms of color and pattern to that wooden finish. I am thinking in my head like: OK we have a black baffle, now let's stick it to all kinds of woods and consider it done... :confused:

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
So the earlier review which states that the C20 is smooth and not so suitable for rock/EDM is true? I am so curious about these... Maybe in a month I will get the chance to listen to the new Contours.

For the appearance of these, as much as I like the wooden finish, I still can not stand how the baffle does not match at all in terms of color and pattern to that wooden finish. I am thinking in my head like: OK we have a black baffle, now let's stick it to all kinds of woods and consider it done... :confused:
I never saw a review stating the c20's were NOT good for rock music,did you hear that on this site?
There is the option of the silver baffle,all color options are on the dyn site.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Is that from Audio magazine?

The elevated response in the upper bass & lower midrange (up to 700 Hz) and the general downward sloping frequency response is not what I expect from a Dynaudio design. It looks like a fairly warm sounding loudspeaker.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Is that from Audio magazine?

The elevated response in the upper bass & lower midrange (up to 700 Hz) and the general downward sloping frequency response is not what I expect from a Dynaudio design. It looks like a fairly warm sounding loudspeaker.
I'm not sure I'd say warm. It's not like a PMC, for instance. I'd say their Twenty line sounds warm to my ears. But the C30 sounds cozy, laid-back perhaps. Not dark or bass heavy like Old Contour. But I think all of the Dynaudio dynamics we love are still there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks, @lesc, for the input. One of the reasons the Line Magnetic line is appealing is that it has taps for 4 and 8 ohm speakers. That would seem to address the impedance matching if I'm understanding your concern correctly.

Unless you already own the Line Magnetic, it's usually best practice to try to match the amp to the speaker, not the other way around.

After all, the speaker is the transducer.

32881 - 32900 of 47718 Posts