AVS Forum banner

32901 - 32920 of 47718 Posts

·
Banned
125 Posts
Is that from Audio magazine?

The elevated response in the upper bass & lower midrange (up to 700 Hz) and the general downward sloping frequency response is not what I expect from a Dynaudio design. It looks like a fairly warm sounding loudspeaker.
I would say it's to be expected. That's exactly how they achieved that old laid back "house sound" on their speakers.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I ask about the impedance because I'd like to power these with a tube integrated - something like the Line Magnetic 216IA. I know the conventional wisdom is that Dyns love power, but reference volume isn't my goal - tone is.
Here is our take on it:

When you talk about how difficult a speaker is to drive, you can divide this question up into two categories: How loud will it play, and how stable does the amplifier need to be against impedance and phase variations.

High sensitivity, meaning louder output at any given input level, comes at a cost (performance-wise). At Dynaudio, we are generally willing to sacrifice some sensitivity for the sake of accuracy. If you want to play loud, you will need an amplifier with fairly good maximum output power. This is likely much of the reason why we have a reputation of needing good amplifiers (another part is that any good speaker will let you hear the differences between amplifiers)

However, the other part of the equation is that regardless of sensitivity, some speakers have more difficult impedance loads than others. And some amplifiers will react differently to this than others.This is where the question of tube amplifiers come in: Most Dynaudio speakers have a fairly unproblematic impedance load, which makes the job easier for the amplifier. This is where it gets interesting with regards to tube amplifiers, because impedance variations can be very problematic to tube amplifiers, compared to transistor amplifiers. A quite linear impedance around 4 ohms is great for a tube amplifier. This means that the tube amplifier will perform well with a Dynaudio - however, you need to have the maximum SPL in mind, as the sensitivity is generally not that tube-friendly.

Due to this caveat, you will find contradicting opinions on whether or not Dynaudio speakers are a good match for a tube amplifier. Within the SPL limits, it is optimal. If you can't live with the SPL limits, it's unusable.

This is all looking at it from the amplifier's point of view: Given you want to use a tube amplifier, would a Dynaudio work? I am not going to go into a discussion on which amplifier technology is the best, given that you have a Dynaudio speaker... There are too many subjective points in that question, and we want to leave that decision up to the user. We purposely designed the speaker to be as non-problematic as possible for any particular amplifier design. The end result will of course vary, depending on the choice you make.

·
Super Moderator
15,934 Posts
Thread cleaned. This is not a political forum.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I got my glass shelves in and installed on my Naim Fraim lite,converting it to "full Fraim",i think it really looks good,and the sound seems a little better too,nothing transformational,but more focused,and tighter sounding.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
I got my glass shelves in and installed on my Naim Fraim lite,converting it to "full Fraim",i think it really looks good,and the sound seems a little better too,nothing transformational,but more focused,and tighter sounding.:)
Seriously noquarter, I'm sure at this point a Shaman performing a ritual on your system, will improve the sound on it :D
Still, I'm happy for you, you seem to really enjoy this hobby on a next level :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
vs Focus 260

The Focus 260 looks much better.

Now that I've had a second look at the C30 response, it almost looks like they started with a flat response as a two-way and then just added the second woofer. The output on axis looks very close to doubled (+3 dB) across the frequency range that the second woofer is operating in. The step is less apparent in the 30 deg. off axis response, where the tilt reminds me of the Harbeth SLH5.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I never saw a review stating the c20's were NOT good for rock music,did you hear that on this site?
There is the option of the silver baffle,all color options are on the dyn site.
Yes I posted that review which came some pictures of the C20s and the accompanying equipments:
https://stereo.vn/tin-tuc/hi-fi-hi-end/dynaudio-contour-20-khoi-dau-tot-cua-loa-hi-end-nho-4695.html
They gave the C20 4/5 stars (the stars are not there at the moment, maybe removed?) because of the sound leaning a bit to the 'sweet' side and concluded that C20 was not really suitable for rock and EDM. Now of course this is not a popular, world-class magazine so I don't buy everything they said, but then in your review the sound (of the whole system) is also described as relaxed and laid-back.

I looked at the color options of the new Contours on the websites and in other pictures taken. Could not agree with any current combination of colors, except for the black on black, well... because it's all black.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Nice Rack man! :D Pretty cool looking, how do you like the Teac CD Player? I have a small Int. Amp that does DSD for my computer setup which is pretty sweet, and I have a AI-2000 Int. by them that I am very impressed with as well.

Funning thing with all the talk about Amps lately I am finding out more power (Clean Power) isn't always needed for better sound. Example I am comparing several Int. Amp's right now and I have the Hegel H100 and Hegel H360 very similar in sound, just the H360 has more head room if you really want to crank it up, most of my listening is done between 35-65 max on their volume scale and it sounds superb on both, if you go beyond 65 the H360 would be the choice if you need that and have a much larger room. Debating on weather I need this much juice as the Hegel H100 is (220wpc) the H360 is (420wpc), always thought more is better but many factors come into play when building a good Amp of course, and frankly I can't tell too much of a difference between these Amps at those my listening levels. I believe a lot of these manufactures tweak things slap some more marketing about how much better it is, but when you get down to just enjoying the music the differences are very minor at best! Now with that being said my KW-500 sounded great, but the technology was 14 years old, then when comparing int to both of these units it was a no brainer on which to sell.

roland150: I am with you on color options on the Contour 20, I however have heard the Grey Oak in person is fabulous looking!

Attachments

Reactions: BigAl87

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
If the contours are going to struggle with rock music then they probably aren't for me. Most of my music is 90s alternative/grunge and current Alt-rock/indie rock music. It's gotta play loud with clarity and without strain or compression. However I love how last night I can tone it down and play Chopin album with just a piano and violoncello and it gets all the tonal shifts and delicate details - and that goes for jazz and blues as well. Plus they're dynamic enough to handle movies, but clear enough to sit here late at night and at very low volumes watch tv shows with such clarity in vocals so I don't have to bother anyone.

That said no one here or myself has had enough exposure or had them in our own primary systems to really make full assessments - so I do reserve judgement for when I can hear them myself, but I know it will take checking every box to get me to move off the 260s, they do everything I ask and do it great.

GT do you see yourself desiring a change from your audition?

Reactions: Garman

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Looks like I'll have to wait before I can give my own assesment on the C-30 since the new rep in Canada was unaware of my oreder but my dealer talk to him on the phone while I was there and let him know the order was placed long ago, i should get some feedback this week, I hope I don't have to wait another month cause I wont survive:p

Steve I sure hope they do perform well will rock but hey I do listen to mainly Jazz and Symphonic so regardless I'll be happy with them :)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Sorry. I don't buy that shelves do jack **** to improve sound. Wonder what Otto thinks about that? Not that he'll answer...

Reactions: MUDCAT45

·
Registered
355 Posts
Looks great! Congrats!

Reactions: no quarter

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Sorry. I don't buy that shelves do jack **** to improve sound. Wonder what Otto thinks about that? Not that he'll answer...
One could say the same thing about Speaker Cables and Interconnects! :D

·
Registered
1,922 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Well regardless of whether it improves the sound,which I think it does...I have around 700 Canadian dollars in to this rack,which is less than than the coffee table I had my gear on.So now I can use my coffee table as intended,and it looks ten times better...IMO.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Nice Rack man! :D Pretty cool looking, how do you like the Teac CD Player? I have a small Int. Amp that does DSD for my computer setup which is pretty sweet, and I have a AI-2000 Int. by them that I am very impressed with as well.

Funning thing with all the talk about Amps lately I am finding out more power (Clean Power) isn't always needed for better sound. Example I am comparing several Int. Amp's right now and I have the Hegel H100 and Hegel H360 very similar in sound, just the H360 has more head room if you really want to crank it up, most of my listening is done between 35-65 max on their volume scale and it sounds superb on both, if you go beyond 65 the H360 would be the choice if you need that and have a much larger room. Debating on weather I need this much juice as the Hegel H100 is (220wpc) the H360 is (420wpc), always thought more is better but many factors come into play when building a good Amp of course, and frankly I can't tell too much of a difference between these Amps at those my listening levels. I believe a lot of these manufactures tweak things slap some more marketing about how much better it is, but when you get down to just enjoying the music the differences are very minor at best! Now with that being said my KW-500 sounded great, but the technology was 14 years old, then when comparing int to both of these units it was a no brainer on which to sell.

roland150: I am with you on color options on the Contour 20, I however have heard the Grey Oak in person is fabulous looking!
Garman
I really like the Teac,I use it mostly to play Dsd albums,with no conversion,and it sounds pretty good with regular cd's too,because when playing regular cd's I usually channel it through my Hugo and then into my pre amp.I find that I also enjoy lower volume listening more than I used to,a better pre/amp really helps with this...and audio rack.:D

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Nice Rack man!
Pretty cool looking, how do you like the Teac CD Player? I have a small Int. Amp that does DSD for my computer setup which is pretty sweet, and I have a AI-2000 Int. by them that I am very impressed with as well.

Garman
I really like the Teac,I use it mostly to play Dsd albums,with no conversion,and it sounds pretty good with regular cd's too,because when playing regular cd's I usually channel it through my Hugo and then into my pre amp.I find that I also enjoy lower volume listening more than I used to,a better pre/amp really helps with this...and audio rack.
You use the Hugo and not the DAC in the 272 or rip and stream?

32901 - 32920 of 47718 Posts