AVS Forum banner

35681 - 35700 of 47736 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
I think my downstairs listening room would be a good fit for either the S40s or C1s.

The room is relatively small, approximately 4.8m x 4m x 2.3m, with the width reduced towards the rear of the room because the garage takes a 1x1.5m chunk out of one rear corner and a small closet takes a 0.5x1m chunk out of the other corner. Speakers are about 7 feet apart and I sit about 8 feet away. Small speakers with subs are generally preferred because I have very strong room modes at 35 Hz and 42 Hz. I can avoid exciting them with the subs by placing the subs at the midpoints of the long walls, but can't put the main speakers in a position where they don't excite those modes. The Focus 160s excite the 42 Hz mode strongly enough that I can hear some emphasis on bass notes around that frequency, but not strongly enough for it to be distracting. They don't trigger the 35 Hz mode which is the real nasty booming one. I don't think the C1s will either.

The main thing I feel that I'm missing using small speakers with subs is dynamics and impact. I really wanted to buy the F260s instead of the 160s. Actually, what I really wanted at the time was the 3.4LE. But I have tried using small two-way floorstanders before and the result was boom, so I didn't want to take the chance.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Given the pedigree of your gear mate, this S40 will be a no brainer, heck, if it doesn't work out, you can sell it or use it as a rear speaker :)
I might simply box up the pair and hide it, wait until the day I sell my C1s or they give up the ghost and take them out.. or make a small space in my study, simply to use them. Give them a half decent amp like a Marantz PM 6006, they might do well as a desktop setup for near work with a PC too.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Talked to my dealer today,he thought my 40's would of been here by now,but assured me it will be "any day now".

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Otto
If I run my Confidence center upside down,will I be messing up the soundstage in any way?The reason I ask,I had to move to an apartment,so I have bought a new rack to hold my TV,and it has three shelves on it for gear.The center will not fit on the shelf I want to use,unless I take the swivel base off...then the speaker terminals would hang down,and not allow it to sit flat.My options are flip it upside down,or use a lower shelf with the base still attached,but I would have to leave the glass out of the second shelf,rendering it unusable.Just weighing my options here,the center is 11.5 inches tall with the base on it,under nine with it off.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Because they are concentric foams. For more tuning flexibility. Those plugs work.

Regarding the confidence center inverted you would have to swithch the x-over elevation trick off, and depending on height it could work, specially if you could wedege something under the front to incline it up to ear level. The speaker could work inveted over the screen with the tilt switch engaged if mounted above screen, but the waf?....

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Off topic, but there are a lot of 2 channel guys in this thread, are there any MULTICHANNEL ONLY Guys besides me, I have never done stereo since my first quad in 1974.:D

You guys do not know what you are missing!!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Off topic, but there are a lot of 2 channel guys in this thread, are there any MULTICHANNEL ONLY Guys besides me, I have never done stereo since my first quad in 1974.:D

I do HT, where many channels come into play, but for critical listening, stereo still works for me.. cheers.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts

Not multi channel ONLY,but I do use the format...SACD,DVD audio,and blueray concerts.Most of my listening is 2 channel by a wide margin though.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts

Done Multi-Channel Audio, personally you need a much larger room and speakers for it to be come effective in the right way... 5.1 and 7.1 works fine for me, and anything over that is overkill. I have a HT room where I have two systems setup, one for movies and one for music... I was much more into movies long ago and multi-channel music but the simplistic approach works better for me as stereo is more true to a live performance.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Yea, we are here...........

I am running C1's across the front and Excite X-18's as surrounds. I have 2 PSA X-30 subs. The room is treated and dedicated for video and audio performance. The room is 2200 Cu Ft.

It sounds great! My only complaint is that at excessive SPL's, the C1's will pop. So I find myself running the system with caution.

I do a fair amount of stereo listening in this room also, the C1's are amazing.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts

My system is a Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP sub, Marantz 5010, Oppo 103, Naim Uniti2 (ht bypass enabled), Dynaudio Focus 260, 210C and DM2/6 and a 60" 4K LED Samsung SUHD tv.

I switch between HT and stereo at the press of an iPhone app.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Yea, we are here...........

I am running C1's across the front and Excite X-18's as surrounds. I have 2 PSA X-30 subs. The room is treated and dedicated for video and audio performance. The room is 2200 Cu Ft.

It sounds great! My only complaint is that at excessive SPL's, the C1's will pop. So I find myself running the system with caution.

I do a fair amount of stereo listening in this room also, the C1's are amazing.
I too used to use C1's for home theatre,and like you,they would pop on me quite often at higher SPL's,even when crossed at 80hz.It really bothered me that I paid $9,000 for a pair of speakers/stands and was walking on eggshells every time I cranked it up,this was the main reason I switched to the XD 600's,loved the sound of the C1's otherwise.The XD's have never popped on me,even at insane SPL's:)

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I wonder if it's possible to swop out the C1 woofer and ask for the S40 woofer to be installed... hmm
I suppose that might be possible,are they exactly the same size and bolt pattern?
A cool thing to try would be to hook your right speaker cable to the C1's,and the left cable to the special 40,then turn it up loud,see which one gives out first.:D

·
Registered
298 Posts
I too used to use C1's for home theatre,and like you,they would pop on me quite often at higher SPL's,even when crossed at 80hz.It really bothered me that I paid $9,000 for a pair of speakers/stands and was walking on eggshells every time I cranked it up,this was the main reason I switched to the XD 600's,loved the sound of the C1's otherwise.The XD's have never popped on me,even at insane SPL's:)
I have them crossed at 80 Hz also. I have plugged the ports which seemed to help tighten the mid-range. The first time they popped it scarred the crap out of me, I would have never dreamed that this would happen. I am powering them with a Halo A21.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I have them crossed at 80 Hz also. I have plugged the ports which seemed to help tighten the mid-range. The first time they popped it scarred the crap out of me, I would have never dreamed that this would happen. I am powering them with a Halo A21.
Was there any deleterious effect after it popped?
Did it sound the same?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Off topic, but there are a lot of 2 channel guys in this thread, are there any MULTICHANNEL ONLY Guys besides me, I have never done stereo since my first quad in 1974.

I have 7.2 but only for movies and tv, I prefer 2 channel for music...

35681 - 35700 of 47736 Posts