AVS Forum banner

36601 - 36620 of 47741 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I apologize for the "test" post, I just wrote a message that did not get displayed so I figured I'd do a test, but now I can't delete the post.

Anyway - thank you for the feedback everyone, I appreciate it!

While I agree that the C60 or perhaps C4 would probably work in this room, the size of the speakers makes them a no-go and I'm afraid I would need to do too much room treatment to avoid having boomy bass at higher volumes. Also, just because I could afford them does not mean I neccesarily have to burn the entire budget I less could do ;)

I am curious why people are recommending Contour 20? What does it do that the Contour 30 does not? It is of course a stand-mount and perhaps images better as a result, but are there other advantages? I have not considered the C20 because I am not too fond of the looks, they look a tad top-heavy unless they are placed on very massive stands. If I would go for another stand-mount, it probably would be the C1 MKII, but they are the same price as the Contour 30 (give and take) and then the decision is not so easy...

Going from the C1 to XD 600, do you feel you miss anything with the XDs that you had with the C1s? Or does it feel like a complete upgrade in every way?
The fine details of the C1's are hard to beat,but overall the XD's are much more to my liking.Some people have tried to bash the XD's lately on this forum as having an excite level tweeter,but whatever it is they do with the tweeter and DSP works very well.Maybe it is not quite on par with the C1's,but it is with this speaker(XD) that I first had that feeling of listening to a live band in my room,not analyzing what the tweeter or woofer is doing.I really can not give you a comparison to the Contour 30,having not heard them,I thought you said that you compared them side by side,so why don't you tell us your thought's,I would be interested?The XD's allow me to play music much louder than with the C1's with no need for a subwoofer for 2 channel.Like I mentioned earlier though,since you have the Hegel,the Contour might be a better choice for you,I have no idea about placing the Contour close to walls,the XD's work great near walls,but it is always better to keep them away from boundaries.I think there are more choices for finishes now on the XD 60's too.
Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Hello all

I got Focus 260, thinking of upgrading to contour 30/60 or confidence C2

is it a big upgrade to contour (I think C2 is a big enough jump)

Thanks
That would be an upgrade on paper,but it will depend on the size of the room,whether or not it works well for you.Can you get a home demo?All the speakers you mention going to have Dyn's best tweeter,and sit further up in the lineup so should be a noticeable improvement.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Like Sonos but higher priced. Going after Bose I guess.

The colored cloth wraps seem inspired by the Linn Series 5, but I think the idea is kind of wasted if all they offer is 4 solid colors.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Looks like they are trying to do battle with Naim Muso,and Muso QB market...I have heard both Naim products,and they are quite good for the size/price.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I was hoping headphones but..

It could be good for a covered patio outside or a bedroom where someone doesn't want the hassle of a full blown set-up.

They should have named it "The Millenial" ;)

Rick

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
"Designed and Engineered in Denmark"

This may be our first Made in China product from Dynaudio. No surprise really. I too would have preferred some IEMs.

·
Registered
314 Posts

This may be our first Made in China product from Dynaudio. No surprise really. I too would have preferred some IEMs.
Interesting.

I was hoping for headphones, too. I might have to jump on the Focal Elear deal while I wait for the Dyns to release theirs.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

Actually, the new Custom Install range is the first Made in China products. Please note that we still consider these products as "in house manufacturing", even though they are not manufactured in Skanderborg. It is not outsourced to a third party. Explanation: As most of you are probably aware of, Dynaudio was purchased by Goertek in 2014. Goertek is an OEM manufacturer with extensive know-how in small-device manufacturing, customers being more or less any major consumer electronics manufacturer you can think of. This know-how gives us a tremendous advantage. The exact ownership structure is a bit complicated, but simply put the manufacturing facilities making these products are owned by Dynaudio, which is in turn owned by Goertek. What this means is, we will no longer be claiming that every Dynaudio labelled product you can buy is "made in Denmark", however, we do claim, as a matter of fact, that they are manufactured "in-house". It just means that the "house" includes more than the Skanderborg facility.

This also does not change the fact that we are manufacturing more products than ever in Skanderborg (basically breaking records each month). The China facility is a (neccesary) addition to our manufacturing capabilites, not a replacement.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for Music line, but I will do my best to answer your questions...

The drivers were custom designed for Music line, so it doesn't quite make sense to compare directly to other Dynaudio products. However, they are true Dynaudio designs, using the known concepts such as MSP diaphragms, soft dome tweeters etc. The drivers make use of the extensive know-how from our other product areas, both from Home, Pro, Custom Install, and Car (very handy when making portable products!). For instance, the 5" woofer is quite similar (although not identical to) the Xeo 2 woofer. We did not step away from the essential elements that make a Dynaudio driver a Dynaudio.

I am of course heavily biased, however, taking the actual performance into consideration, I do not agree that the price is high. The 999EUR Music 7 is comparable in performance to a pair of Xeo 2, of course with the Xeo 2 having the advantage of being a stereo setup. I know the following statement will sound like hyperbole, so feel free to write it off as such - but I honestly mean it: We quickly realized that the performance target was not going to be similar competitor products, we are easily beyond that. The tuning was done comparing to our own high-end stereo speakers, trying to fit as much as possible of that into each Music product - not by comparing to competition. In other words, the aim is not "better than XXX", the aim is delivering as much of a true Dynaudio experience as possible, within the confinements of an all-in-one. Add to that some quite clever features, and I think the price is very reasonable.

I think the cleverness of the Music products will be more apparent as you have more time to take in the finer details of the feature set. For instance, Room Adapt. Instead of requiring a set of test tones to be played whenever you have moved the speaker around, or selecting from presets, we compare the incoming signal from the built-in microphone to the actual music being played, and use that to sense if the speaker is near a boundary - and adjust accordingly, on the fly.
Thanks for the info, as I was once a Dynaudio Car guy as well... Trying to upgrade a sound system in a company car these days is a "No no" ;) The tuning alone with the drivers in place would make them appealing to me.. Heck with TV's sound sounding so poorly it would also be nice to see Dynaudio make a box system that a TV could sit on to help improve the sound as well. If you guys had one of those I would toss my current setup.. Regardless it will be interesting to hear one of these units..

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Thanks for the info, as I was once a Dynaudio Car guy as well... Trying to upgrade a sound system in a company car these days is a "No no" ;) The tuning alone with the drivers in place would make them appealing to me.. Heck with TV's sound sounding so poorly it would also be nice to see Dynaudio make a box system that a TV could sit on to help improve the sound as well. If you guys had one of those I would toss my current setup.. Regardless it will be interesting to hear one of these units..
I realize that the Music 7 doesn't quite fulfill the form factor you are asking for, with regards to placing the TV on top of it, however it is designed to also be usable as a soundbar.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Otto, will the Dynaudio Music Now app be available for anyone on the iOS store, or only compatible with the new Music series?

I ask because, as a F160 owner, and a Tidal subscriber / Airplay user, I'd love to be able to take advantage of the learning capabilities and playlists. Tidal is a great service, but its weak point is clearly music discovery, so it'd be nice to have access to the app, since it seems like I have all the other pieces in place to replicate the Music system.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Otto, will the Dynaudio Music Now app be available for anyone on the iOS store, or only compatible with the new Music series?
It is a Music line only feature for now. There are some limitations on what we are allowed to do as a third party provider, from the various streaming services, so I can't say if we can or will change this in the future.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I suppose these things could be used in a wireless 5.1 system with XD's as mains...use these for center and surrounds,possibly?Otto?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Actually, the new Custom Install range is the first Made in China products. Please note that we still consider these products as "in house manufacturing", even though they are not manufactured in Skanderborg. It is not outsourced to a third party. Explanation: As most of you are probably aware of, Dynaudio was purchased by Goertek in 2014. Goertek is an OEM manufacturer with extensive know-how in small-device manufacturing, customers being more or less any major consumer electronics manufacturer you can think of. This know-how gives us a tremendous advantage. The exact ownership structure is a bit complicated, but simply put the manufacturing facilities making these products are owned by Dynaudio, which is in turn owned by Goertek. What this means is, we will no longer be claiming that every Dynaudio labelled product you can buy is "made in Denmark", however, we do claim, as a matter of fact, that they are manufactured "in-house". It just means that the "house" includes more than the Skanderborg facility.

This also does not change the fact that we are manufacturing more products than ever in Skanderborg (basically breaking records each month). The China facility is a (neccesary) addition to our manufacturing capabilites, not a replacement.
Thanks for being forthright, Otto.

I guess my concern is at what point will the lines get blurred? I would prefer certain products on the Dynaudio website be clearly labeled, perhaps with a specific "stamp" or logo, as being, "Made in Denmark" and not just "Designed and Engineered in Denmark." Am I willing to spend $10K or whatever on Confidence C1 made in China? I am afraid not. The price, IMO, is only justified on certain products when I know Danish craftsmen and craftswomen are building it and I choose to support the EU economy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
36601 - 36620 of 47741 Posts