AVS Forum banner

39201 - 39220 of 47736 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I wouldn't bet on it. Chinese made doesn't mean all is bad if made to specific standards. Apple sure makes a lot of money with their Chinese made products. Quality is pretty damn good too. My cabinets are made in China and the walnut burl is a work of art. And they are Danish. They even have 3mm of clearcoat.
Exactly. Those guys are making islands so surely they can make some cabinets.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
My son only hears Laurel and I hear Yanny. I have a theory but would like to hear more responses first.

Guess it only proves everyone's hearing is different and unique.
George
I am at work right now,and there are four of us here,we just had our lunch break so I played it...two guys hear yanney and two hear Laurel...WTF!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I think you are over-estimating the sizes. Confidence 30 is about 15 cm lower than C2 (about 135 cm), and the baffle is narrower. I believe the cabinet is wider at it's wides spot, but the curved design makes it look sleeker overall. Confidence 50 is same width but taller, and compared to a C4 is much sleeker. Confidence 60 is the widest due to the 24 cm woofers, but only a couple of cm more than a C4.
What's the height difference in the Confidence 60 and the C4?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Looking over the highlights from the Munich show on Audioshark,this caught my eye...somebody who was there,and actually HEARD the Dynaudio New Evidence,or Confidence 60.Here is a quote from him...

Re: Munich High End 2018
Highlights for me.....

Audionet Stern / Heisenberg into Dynaudio Evidence - control, precision, lifelike, but still with great musicality and timbre. Spinetingling on both occasions we visited.
Ok,so now I am confused,found this video,and it appears that the original evidence were at the show,right at the end.If you scroll to around 5 minutes in,you will see the new Dyns.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Sorry I have not had the time to reply, I haven't yet read all posts since my last answer, but I see some discussions on manufacturing origin, that I would like to adress. Quick answer, yes we have outsourced cabinet manufacturing. Long answer:

Our goal is to deliver the best possible product to our customers. For a long time, delivering the best quality meant making it in Denmark. As little as we would like to admit it, this is no longer the case for every part of the loudspeaker. To achieve the best quality, especially at the scale that we need to be able to meet demand (which is actually our main struggle right now), we have to continually monitor our options for manufacturing. We have been and still are proud of the manufacturing that we are doing in Skanderborg, Denmark - but, we don't want to make things in Denmark simply for the sake of doing it, we want to do it because it adds value. And when it comes to cabinets, we have to realize that for now, there are options on the market that allows us to deliver even better quality in certain (not all) areas. If we were not able to face this reality, we would not be doing our job properly. It does mean that we will put less of an emphasis on "Made in Denmark" in our marketing in the future - we believe in openness and honesty, and we don't want to give a false impression. In line with this, let me point out that final assembly of our CI products, as well as Xeo 2 and it's successor Xeo 10 and the Emit line, either has or will soon be moved to Goertek's manufacturing facilities in China. As we need to increase capacity, it would simply be crazy not to leverage the manufacturing expertise that resides in the Goertek group that we are now part of.

Please note that this is not a result of scaling down the amount of manufacturing done in Denmark - it is rearranged a bit, but we are making more speakers than ever in Denmark - the outsourced manufacturing is added to the significant investments that has been done in our Skanderborg facility, not replacing it. The motivation driver here is not to close down Skanderborg, it is to deliver a better Dynaudio experience, to more people. To increase quality, not decrease it. And by the way, these decisions were made by the management team in Skanderborg, not in China. This includes the responsible Product Manager - me.

As I have mentioned before, the criticism that resides on this and other internet forums, is in quite stark contrast to the reactions on the show floor, where we have received high praise for the perceived quality and finish of the new Confidence. A level of quality and finish that we would not have realized, if we were not able to make these kinds of tough decisions.

I am not going into any heated debates regarding people's opinions and feelings about this change in strategy - the above are the facts.
Great answer! Intelligent, emotion free and factual while incredibly diplomatic

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Both Evidence, Consequence and Contour 20 were being kindly used by other exhibitors (Audionet, Bittner and WBT respectively), to demonstrate their products. New Confidence were not available to them, as the only playing pair in existence (except R&D prototypes) was the pair on display in our booth.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Not to be combative, but just playing around on google and found this statement (from 2014), which I find pertinent.
None of the people quoted are known to me as untrustworthy, quite the contrary. This was their belief at the time, so of course this is what was stated. Since then, we have made some realizations: To move forward, you can't simply just keep doing what you're doing because it worked in the past. Wilfried is still involved in strategic decisions, by the way.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I have received a few private messages asking me why did I suggest we should all go out to get the S40..
Well I have reviewed it in the past :
http://peteswrite.blogspot.dk/2017/07/dynaudio-special-forty-speaker-review.html, and I have both the C1 and the S40..
Now having vistited the factory and seen what goes into the S40, I would say that you have a tremendous value speaker if you have a small space to fill. Well if you have a barn for a listening room, such as the typical American home, then you are better off spending almost 50% more for the C20.. however if you have a more British or perhaps Asian sized listening room, then you can't really go wrong..
They have taken much of the same tweeter used in the C1, made even more mods, then created the best 170mm woofer they have and put it into a box which isn't merely a veneered wrapped box. The woofer has extra mods to prevent bottoming out, and they created the veneer by glueing together many slices of veneer then slicing it thinly to create the look.
It's a real piece of furniture and let's just say it won't be around forever so if you want a bit of history that sounds good, well this is it.
Since Marantz also created a 40th anniversary KI Ruby, I wonder how they will pair up.... very exciting indeed.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
George
I am at work right now,and there are four of us here,we just had our lunch break so I played it...two guys hear yanney and two hear Laurel...WTF!
At work I have super cheap speakers with no bass at all and I hear Laurel. I can't find it now but there was a different link that shifted out the bass and it changed from Yanny to Laurel. So I think people that are more sensitive to bass hear Yanny and that may be why a lot of folks will differ when they say these speakers don't have enough bass and others may say too much bass. Just a guess on my part :eek:

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I have received a few private messages asking me why did I suggest we should all go out to get the S40..
http://peteswrite.blogspot.dk/2017/07/dynaudio-special-forty-speaker-review.html, and I have both the C1 and the S40..
Now having vistited the factory and seen what goes into the S40, I would say that you have a tremendous value speaker if you have a small space to fill. Well if you have a barn for a listening room, such as the typical American home, then you are better off spending almost 50% more for the C20.. however if you have a more British or perhaps Asian sized listening room, then you can't really go wrong..
They have taken much of the same tweeter used in the C1, made even more mods, then created the best 170mm woofer they have and put it into a box which isn't merely a veneered wrapped box. The woofer has extra mods to prevent bottoming out, and they created the veneer by glueing together many slices of veneer then slicing it thinly to create the look.
It's a real piece of furniture and let's just say it won't be around forever so if you want a bit of history that sounds good, well this is it.
Since Marantz also created a 40th anniversary KI Ruby, I wonder how they will pair up.... very exciting indeed.
What center channels and surrounds match well with the S40 for a 5.1 system?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Im thinking I will get the 40s and then eventually buy the sub6 to get the lower end. Sounds like a good plan Solgryn!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
What center channels and surrounds match well with the S40 for a 5.1 system?
The Focus 210C might be the best option for a center channel but you would have to buy used to find one, otherwise there is the X28 Center would probably be next with a lower price point. If you wanted to match color scheme like gray birch then the Contour 25 center might be the correct color (gray) but it’s oak not birch. Surrounds do what you want but X14s or Emit 10/20s would be fine.

Reactions: G-Rex

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Speaking of Sub6, I see that it includes a DSP pre-set even for Special25! Wow! Impressive that they did that. Dare I say, given the components of Special25 (Esotar2+Evidence Driver) AND that it was 100% "Made in Denmark" that it perhaps may go down as the most authentic and "special" Dynaudio speaker ever made? If you own a pair: congrats! Be kind to them. Judging from @petetherock it seems like Special40 is perhaps almost as special too and represents the last of such stand-mount speakers to be made 100% in Denmark? That's what I am reading between the lines.

Interesting to note that Special40 + Stand6 + Sub6 = about $400 more than what my Focus 260 cost ($4900). I have no doubt that this is probably a good combination, given I have auditioned Special40 extensively and felt it not quite on par with Focus 260, mainly in the bass department, and of course the Sub6 would "solve" this and more. What do you think, @callas01 would you sell your 260s for this combo?

Finally, in terms of Dynaudio distributing its manufacturing: well, we knew this was inevitable. I mean, Danish Raidho does it and they cost A LOT more, but we don't give them Schiit, do we? Quite the contrary. At the end of the day, we buy Dynaudio based on how they sound and how they look. BUT I personally felt better that I could envision Danish craftsmen - and women - behind the speakers and I could "rest" comfortably that Danish/EU labor and environmental laws were regulating their production. This was/is indeed a value-add for me. Take this away and I might expect a DROP in prices but we know that won't happen. I just hope that those Danish craftsmen and women, no doubt friends and family of Otto in Skanderborg, continue to find gainful employment, either in other capacities at Dynaudio or beyond, or have found / will find their way to a blissful retirement. Their counterparts in Latvia, China, etc. would only be so lucky.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Great answer! Intelligent, emotion free and factual while incredibly diplomatic

He deftly avoided a direct answer to the question everybody cares about: where are the new Confidence cabinets made? But we can read between the lines.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
@GTaudiophile no there’s really nothing that is going to make me want to trade-in or move the 260s out right now. Resolution is near the old Confidence levels albeit with less refinement, I find them balanced AND fun at the same time, subtle yet powerful as well. So there’s nothing that really I’ve heard aside from really expensive speakers that makes me want to change.
Subs can be great, I have a nice HSU sub, but I don’t use it unless I’m watching movies or tv. With your amp there’s no crossover setting to use unlike the Uniti products so you’d have to run them full range and accept whatever positives and negatives that brings. I think you said you bottomed out the S40s once in a demo.... could you live with that??

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
@GTaudiophile no there’s really nothing that is going to make me want to trade-in or move the 260s out right now. Resolution is near the old Confidence levels albeit with less refinement, I find them balanced AND fun at the same time, subtle yet powerful as well. So there’s nothing that really I’ve heard aside from really expensive speakers that makes me want to change.
Subs can be great, I have a nice HSU sub, but I don’t use it unless I’m watching movies or tv. With your amp there’s no crossover setting to use unlike the Uniti products so you’d have to run them full range and accept whatever positives and negatives that brings. I think you said you bottomed out the S40s once in a demo.... could you live with that??
I do distinctly remember that. Contour S1.4 LE and S40 both bottomed out on a specific part of a specific track, whereas Contour C20 did not. No, I would not prefer that unless I could tune the crossover with Sub6 to eliminate that.

39201 - 39220 of 47736 Posts