AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51957 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ttown.

Out of curiousity what other speaker lines do you carry beside PSB and Dynaudio.

We just brought the Contour line and they are jaw-dropping. The soundstage that they throw up is incredible. The Focus line is incredible for the price especially with its new Esotec tweeter.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The C1 is 6500/pair.

A-stock is brand spanking new sealed. B-stock is a couple different things: magazine reviewer sample, show model, or dealer evaluation. They are pretty much indistinguishable from new so its a great way to get a break over A-stock. B-stock prices can vary depending on circumstance. Always check with your local dealer for any availability and current pricing on these.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Quote:
Out of curiousity what other speaker lines do you carry beside PSB and Dynaudio.

Speakers: Dynaudio, PSB Speakers, KEF Audio, Polk Audio, Niles, Onix Rocket and Atlantic Tech.

Electronics: Krell, Parasound, NAD, Sherbourn, Niles, and many others through distribution.

We chose these lines as they all offer quality rock solid performance and have their own signature sound of sorts. Got you covered from $250 Polks to $90K Master Tempatations.

The b-stock program with Dynaudio is the way to go if someone is not picky on finish color. You can save $$$.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I have Contour 1.3s in the front, Contour 1.1s in the rear, and an Audience center (before they started numbering them, it was the first Audience cc).

Angstrom 200/205 preamp, Acurus 200x3 on the front and A80 for the rear, and an M&K MX-200 sub.

This is what I've had for like 8 years, with no desire to change a single element. It's incredible, awesome sound.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Another car audio note. Just in case this hasn't been brought up, the 06 VW Passat has a 600 watt 10 speaker Dynaudio system as an option. I have it. So if you can't afford to test drive a BMW try the Passat. The sound is so good I am having a hard time not upgrading my sound system at home. It competes with everything I have heard in a car at its price and way beyond.

Maggie

·
Registered
178 Posts
I stumbled upon this link, which Dynaudio owners might find interesting:

Dynaudio' Book of Truth

This piece of propaganda is several years old. Apparently they published a book titled "The Book of Truth" in 1989. It's good to know about a company's philosophy. I don't agree with them on many things, like their generalizing about the sound of American West Coast, Japanese, and British speakers. But I still found their beliefs interesting--for example, their view on exotic cables (skeptic), or speaker break-in (believer):

Quote:
12. The better a driver, the longer it takes to reach its optimum performance.

Several weeks (!) with brand new loudspeakers, a few minutes with samples which have been thoroughly run in.

Danes don't lie.

The complete book isn't accessible online; you'll eventually reach a broken link. Maybe some of you can point out a working mirror site. I'm somewhat annoyed by their lack of modesty, but that's forgivable because their speakers aren't bad.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well I come in at the lower end of the Dynaudio spectrum - I have Audience 52 for fornt speakers, Audience 42c centre and 42 rears, I drive them with a NAD T773 receiver. They are superb, they out perform any other bookshelf within twice their price range in my honest opinion. I had no brand bias when auditioning for this system, they simply came out miles in front. Give them plenty of power and they perform well above their size and price.

·
Registered
869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues /forum/post/0

Yea i know.. I havent driven bmw 7series or sclass. But i KNOW there better than a californian or canadian car.. But honestly dynaudio and quart are legendary in the car audio world with many awards.

yep I had some mb quart seperates back in 92 in my truck very nice, saw some bookshelves go for 22.00 on ebay, dynaudio is just another speaker that gets a lot of great reviews but to hard to get, seems to be the theory behind some companies? I mean sorry but not flying out to L.A. or London to hear speakers, phantom speakers I will probably never hear
, if I did just might buy them

·
Registered
104 Posts
AudioArchitect,

How do Dynaudios compare to the Monitor Audio GS series? I know that you are well versed in both brands and would love to hear your opinion.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect /forum/post/0

What a great find. A very interesting read indeed!

Dang this looks familiar. I may just have this at home. I'll have to check this weekend.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Just out of curiousity, do the Dynaudio speakers sell cheaper in the states than they do in Denmark? I know they have a hefty VAT tax over there but was curious as I may be going over there in the next year or so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would have to say i'm a Dynaudio fan as well. I have Dynaudio in my car - MD-130 tweeters ("Esotec") and MW-160GT run active from a Butler TDB-475 amp, and a Pioneer P9 combo head unit. I was placed 2nd in my first car audio competition less than 2 weeks after completing install. The next time I entered I was placed first.

I heard the Confidence C5 home speakers but it didn't quite do it for me. The fact that I had low powered valve amps for home audio didn't help, so I got something else.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Dynaudio speakers NEED solid state in the home. Tubes simply do not possess the same control of the bass drivers like good solid state. Dynaudio tweeters are extremely neutral so there is no harshness when using large power class solid state gear. They have huge voice coils that are a hallmark design of all their speakers. Given the proper power there is almost no speaker in the world that will compete.

BTW I love their car speakers. That is an interesting combination with the Butler tube amps. I have heard good things about their 12v products. The best car audio system I have ever heard period was Dynaudio separates with Mcintosh car amps. WOW! If you have the dough I urge you to give the Mcintosh car stuff a shot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have given McIntosh a shot. I had a Mac CD player and for a while had a borrowed Mac amplifier (can't remember the model number) in the car. The Mac amplifier was VERY fast with great dynamics. Superb imaging and really good stereo seperation. However, it's got a lean sound which I don't really like. The Mac CD player (a rebadged Clarion HX-D1) was similar - a lot of love treble but the mids were lean and it had almost no bass.

The Butler 475 is much better. The Butler is not a true valve amp, it has a valve input stage and MOSFET outputs. But it has a fatter midrange and a more approachable sound. Not as good stereo seperation as the Mac, but in a car I value frequency response more than imaging.

I would again rate the Pioneer P9 better than the Mac CD player. When I first installed it (EQ set to zero) it gave noticably better bass and better mids and yet could pull out the same amount of detail as the Mac. Now that I have equalized it the sound quality is to die for. Till today I still can't believe that I can get that kind of sound quality in a car. Of course it doesn't compare to my home system but it's still very good

·
Registered
29 Posts
While not in the custom install league of your posts, next time you pass by a VW dealer take a listen to the Dynaudio system they put in the new Passats. 10 speakers, 600 watts and a couple of subs. SO nice that I want to switch my home system to Dynaudio,

Maggie.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Back to topic...

My system:

Dynaudio Contour s3.4

Primare SPA 20 5 channel amp/processor

Primare V25 dvd (used only as CD transport)

Silspeak speaker cable

Will buy a centerspeaker in the contour series, but I want to find one used...

I love the sound of the contours. Have started to buy SACD to enjoy them even more...

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The Contour 3.4's are awesome speakers.

I am curious though how did you come by Primare equipment. Its good stuff but just not a typical pairing I have heard of.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie /forum/post/0

While not in the custom install league of your posts, next time you pass by a VW dealer take a listen to the Dynaudio system they put in the new Passats. 10 speakers, 600 watts and a couple of subs. SO nice that I want to switch my home system to Dynaudio,

Maggie.

Surprisingly they are the same drivers as used in their aftermarket car speaker line. An absolute bargain considering ridiculous priced OEM options from BMW, Mercedes,etc.

I think this was a great idea on Dynaudio's part. Should stimulate interest in their home products.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Before today I didn't even know Dynaudio had car speakers ... well, live and learn.

Anyhow, my setup:

A pair of Contour S 1.4's

Creek Audio 5350SE Amp

Creek Audio CD 50

Goertz cables

Before buying the Contour 1.4, I listened to Tannoy, ProAc and Dynaudio 52s. In the end the 1.4s just had more of what I was looking for. People do state that I picked up a very neutral or even a harsh combination, as all my parts are more for clear sound than softness and musicality.

I'm now upgrading my system so that the 1.4 will be my mains in the upcoming 5.1 (or just 5.0) system and 42s will be my center and backs.

21 - 40 of 51957 Posts