AVS Forum banner

46881 - 46900 of 47724 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I just got the call from the dealer, and we managed to swing a deal for the Nagra amp/Integrated.Unfortunately I had to throw in the excite 12’s and stand 3’s to get it done. This means I will no longer own anything from Dynaudio, but it does open the door for the future I guess. The Nagra is modular, so can be run as a straight amp, or an integrated.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjs3ouk7srpAhUZK80KHVIWCREQFjAAegQIAhAB&url=https://www.nagraaudio.com/product/mpa/&usg=AOvVaw0uFDp93Zu_K53KALaXuwHm

Attachments

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I just got the call from the dealer, and we managed to swing a deal for the Nagra amp/Integrated.Unfortunately I had to throw in the excite 12’s and stand 3’s to get it done. This means I will no longer own anything from Dynaudio, but it does open the door for the future I guess. The Nagra is modular, so can be run as a straight amp, or an integrated.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjs3ouk7srpAhUZK80KHVIWCREQFjAAegQIAhAB&url=https://www.nagraaudio.com/product/mpa/&usg=AOvVaw0uFDp93Zu_K53KALaXuwHm

I might be right behind ya 25cents. My Evoke 10s are the last price of Dynaudio gear outside of my inwalls and center channels. I’m trying out the Kudos X2s in my bedroom. Love that you can put them basically right up on the wall. May be time to put up the 10s for sale to a lucky buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,922 Posts

Awww. Goodbye to the X12s??? Well, so long then. You are now forced to turn in your Dynaudio Forum member badge. Ciao.

Reactions: no quarter

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Awww. Goodbye to the X12s??? Well, so long then. You are now forced to turn in your Dynaudio Forum member badge. Ciao.
I thought we just take them out back and shoot em. :cool:

Reactions: no quarter

·
Registered
5,086 Posts

How old is that amp, older model? Looks like a quality product. The Swiss really know how to make quality stuff. I am pretty sure you won't find any garbage if you lift the lid. I lust after some Soulution gear. The current stuff on the Nagra website looks pretty bad ass too. I am sure it sounds killer.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
How old is that amp, older model? Looks like a quality product. The Swiss really know how to make quality stuff. I am pretty sure you won't find any garbage if you lift the lid. I lust after some Soulution gear. The current stuff on the Nagra website looks pretty bad ass too. I am sure it sounds killer.
I don’t know it’s exact age, I guess I should ask...but I know he just sent it out for a recap and to replace a fan in it that was a little noisy. Basically a fresh refurb from the factory.

The HD amps are the true high end though on that website, I think they only run 67 grand.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Well my Peak consults have drivers built by the founder of Dynaudio, if that let’s me keep my badge?:)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Can we add a quality integrated amp to an older outdated AVR, or does the AVR need to be upgraded in order to achieve the full potential? I can only purchase one or the other right now and then circle back for the leftover in a month or so.
Certainly, for two channel listening, as long as the AVR has analog outputs for the front L/R channels.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
The vast majority of people who listen to music are not self-identifying “audiophiles”, so whenever I hear the phrase jabbed in, “the way music was intended to be heard”, it just rubs me the wrong way. Music is intended to be heard however the particular individual wants to hear it, PERIOD.... which is why there are so many listening modes available beyond 2 channel direct.

Respectfully, I honestly couldn’t care less about your feelings on 5-channel stereo or the way in which you seem to turn your nose up at it. For me, “the most amount of noise from my receiver” is precisely my goal at times. I listen to all sorts of music, but occasionally I simply covet maximum energy over accuracy and finesse. When was the last time someone walked into a club, or sat in a large venue concert, or listened to a loud local band in a bar and thought to themselves, “Man this isn’t in purist 2-channel stereo with .000014 THD, I’m outta here!”??

Additionally, my listening habits will not be affected by the efforts that the recording engineers put in. They were paid for their work. If I happen to want to listen to something in 5-channel stereo, I care not if it affects someone’s delicate sensibilities on the matter.... but I would pay dollars to donuts that the artists I choose to listen to 5-channel music in, would most likely understand the desire to have their s**t cranked than to suppress its energy through 2 channels of bookshelf speakers.
The stuff I play in 5-channel is stuff that’s MEANT to be played loud, and not everyone has X44’s.

I seem to be “ignoring what everyone is telling me anyways”?? That just sounds bitter. I bought my sub based on a direct recommendation from here. I’ve fine-tuned my AVR choices and price range based on input here. Had I not read through this thread, I would’ve stuck with the NHT C3’s rather than continued my search for a great deal on X18’s, so this place has positively influenced my speaker decisions as well. I followed advice from a wise poster here to focus on maximizing my 5.1 setup first before moving onto rears and heights. I also followed advice from here to not go overboard on amps for HT use..... and it now looks like I’ll likely be following the advice to change from a power amp to integrated if it’ll still allow me to play my redheaded-stepchild 5 channel streaming music sessions through the AVR while the integrated amp handles the 2 channel stereo stuff. So your assertion of me ignoring others anyways couldn’t be more unqualified my friend.

But yeah, when it comes to HOW I listen to my music, I don’t need to be told how that needs to happen. If I want energy, or if I’m cooking dinner, or cleaning, I’ll crank it through all channel stereo. If I want relaxed and pure, music that’s more delicate, I’ll listen to 2-channel. If it’s a BluRay concert it’ll be played in the format it was intended. Don’t take everything so literally. I’m not buying an 11.2 receiver to listen to movies in all-channel stereo, so why would I do it for a concert on DVD? 5-channel is for streaming music only, and only when I want it loud, but that’s probably 50% of my music listening. Not everyone’s library consists solely of classical, jazz, opera, and easy listening.
WoW; take it easy man :eek:

I seem to be “ignoring what everyone is telling me anyways”?? That just sounds bitter.

No; you're not exactly...ignoring what everyone is telling you. But...you're asking a lot, of theoretical questions; I guess out of curiosity. And then either saying "I'm not doing it that way; that's snobby"...or "hey...I don't have a lot of money". (that's snobby :rolleyes:)

Like with me: you ask about S40s...and I give you advice, or an opinion. And you're like "oh; I'm perfectly happy...and won't be switching for years". Fine; but stop calling everyone "elitist". You're the one asking about ****, you can't afford.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
The vast majority of people who listen to music are not self-identifying “audiophiles”, so whenever I hear the phrase jabbed in, “the way music was intended to be heard”, it just rubs me the wrong way. Music is intended to be heard however the particular individual wants to hear it, PERIOD.... which is why there are so many listening modes available beyond 2 channel direct.

Respectfully, I honestly couldn’️t care less about your feelings on 5-channel stereo or the way in which you seem to turn your nose up at it. For me, “the most amount of noise from my receiver” is precisely my goal at times. I listen to all sorts of music, but occasionally I simply covet maximum energy over accuracy and finesse. When was the last time someone walked into a club, or sat in a large venue concert, or listened to a loud local band in a bar and thought to themselves, “Man this isn’️t in purist 2-channel stereo with .000014 THD, I’️m outta here!”??

Additionally, my listening habits will not be affected by the efforts that the recording engineers put in. They were paid for their work. If I happen to want to listen to something in 5-channel stereo, I care not if it affects someone’️s delicate sensibilities on the matter.... but I would pay dollars to donuts that the artists I choose to listen to 5-channel music in, would most likely understand the desire to have their s**t cranked than to suppress its energy through 2 channels of bookshelf speakers.
The stuff I play in 5-channel is stuff that’️s MEANT to be played loud, and not everyone has X44’️s.

I seem to be “ignoring what everyone is telling me anyways”?? That just sounds bitter. I bought my sub based on a direct recommendation from here. I’️ve fine-tuned my AVR choices and price range based on input here. Had I not read through this thread, I would’️ve stuck with the NHT C3’️s rather than continued my search for a great deal on X18’️s, so this place has positively influenced my speaker decisions as well. I followed advice from a wise poster here to focus on maximizing my 5.1 setup first before moving onto rears and heights. I also followed advice from here to not go overboard on amps for HT use..... and it now looks like I’️ll likely be following the advice to change from a power amp to integrated if it’️ll still allow me to play my redheaded-stepchild 5 channel streaming music sessions through the AVR while the integrated amp handles the 2 channel stereo stuff. So your assertion of me ignoring others anyways couldn’️t be more unqualified my friend.

But yeah, when it comes to HOW I listen to my music, I don’️t need to be told how that needs to happen. If I want energy, or if I’️m cooking dinner, or cleaning, I’️ll crank it through all channel stereo. If I want relaxed and pure, music that’️s more delicate, I’️ll listen to 2-channel. If it’️s a BluRay concert it’️ll be played in the format it was intended. Don’️t take everything so literally. I’️m not buying an 11.2 receiver to listen to movies in all-channel stereo, so why would I do it for a concert on DVD? 5-channel is for streaming music only, and only when I want it loud, but that’️s probably 50% of my music listening. Not everyone’️s library consists solely of classical, jazz, opera, and easy listening.
WoW; take it easy man /forum/images/smilies/eek.gif

I seem to be “ignoring what everyone is telling me anyways”?? That just sounds bitter.

No; you're not exactly...ignoring what everyone is telling you. But...you're asking a lot, of theoretical questions; I guess out of curiosity. And then either saying "I'm not doing it that way; that's snobby"...or "hey...I don't have a lot of money". (that's snobby /forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif)

Like with me: you ask about S40s...and I give you advice, or an opinion. And you're like "oh; I'm perfectly happy...and won't be switching for years". Fine; but stop calling everyone "elitist". You're the one asking about ****, you can't afford.
Lol. Harsh but true.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
callas01: Not sure what you where using with the KEF LS50 when you had them, but after having them for 5 days in my main system with my main Belles gear, I almost didn't sell them! Compared to the Contour 20, they don't have the class to keep up, but at $899 right now, I would say they would be the speaker to beat under 2K and under, pretty impressive. Very impressive in near field, I am tempted to get the LSX version for my office and just get rid of all the other clutter.... I just put two sets of smaller speakers up for sale and a small Teac Int. I been using in my office, just simplifying and moving stuff sitting out... ;)

CD: What's your take on the KEF, LSX or LS50 as I know you had them at one point... Office system, going to try a good powered speaker set hooked to my computer...

On the Aqua Dac note, so far the Microrendu and Audirvana software is a great combo without having to buy a separate streamer and the sound quality going over Ethernet has been superb.

·
Registered
879 Posts
So the new Contour i-series was released about a month ago as I understand it.

Is there anyone here on the forum that has listened to them, or are there any reviews published?

I'm particularly interested in the Contour 30i, but general listening impressions from any model in the new i-series would be very appreciated. Especially comparisons with the previous non-i Contour models, and how they differ sound-wise.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
So the new Contour i-series was released about a month ago as I understand it.

Is there anyone here on the forum that has listened to them, or are there any reviews published?

I'm particularly interested in the Contour 30i, but general listening impressions from any model in the new i-series would be very appreciated. Especially comparisons with the previous non-i Contour models, and how they differ sound-wise.
I'm a member of two Dynaudio groups on Facebook. The original versus "i" question has come up from a few people, all of which have listened to the new version. Some, likely from dealers, have posted some hyperbole about the new speaker, calling it significantly better. A common phrase is that the bass digs deeper. Still others say they prefer the sound of the old speaker, saying the original are more true to the Dynaudio house sound. Others also question the materials used in the new version; some argue the new one went on a cost cutting diet. The new one does weigh like 1.5kg less than the old if I recall. That's about it. There are one or two formal reviews of the "i" out there and they don't mention anything significant versus the original.

There are quite a few mint used Contour 30 out there. Brilliant speaker!

Reactions: Fjodor2000

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'm a member of two Dynaudio groups on Facebook. The original versus "i" question has come up from a few people, all of which have listened to the new version. Some, likely from dealers, have posted some hyperbole about the new speaker, calling it significantly better. A common phrase is that the bass digs deeper. Still others say they prefer the sound of the old speaker, saying the original are more true to the Dynaudio house sound. Others also question the materials used in the new version; some argue the new one went on a cost cutting diet. The new one does weigh like 1.5kg less than the old if I recall. That's about it. There are one or two formal reviews of the "i" out there and they don't mention anything significant versus the original.

Ok, so mixed impressions so far then. I checked the weight, and the Contour 30 is 34.4 kg, and the new Contour 30i is 31.4 kg. So there's definitely a weight difference like you said. There's are non-weight-dependent improvements on the 30i though; new Esotar 2i tweeter, new crossover, and new woofer spider suspension.

Hard to know what all the differences amounts to sound quality-wise. Regarding the bass that you said it digs a bit deeper on the 30i. I hope this does not make it less tight though (the review in paragraph below indicates that it's actually tighter, so no worries there perhaps). Also, according to the tech specs the lower frequency response threshold is still 32 Hz.

Regarding reviews, I found one of the Contour 20i from hifi.nl in Dutch, Google translated to English here. In general it was very positive. Have you found any reviews of the i-Series in addition to this one (a link would be appreciated in that case)?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ok, so mixed impressions so far then. I checked the weight, and the Contour 30 is 34.4 kg, and the new Contour 30i is 31.4 kg. So there's definitely a weight difference like you said. There's are non-weight-dependent improvements on the 30i though; new Esotar 2i tweeter, new crossover, and new woofer spider suspension.

Hard to know what all the differences amounts to sound quality-wise. Regarding the bass that you said it digs a bit deeper on the 30i. I hope this does not make it less tight though (the review in paragraph below indicates that it's actually tighter, so no worries there perhaps). Also, according to the tech specs the lower frequency response threshold is still 32 Hz.

Regarding reviews, I found one of the Contour 20i from hifi.nl in Dutch, Google translated to English here. In general it was very positive. Have you found any reviews of the i-Series in addition to this one (a link would be appreciated in that case)?
If you dont mind translate, a review from c30i same magazine here with compare to c30.

https://hifi.nl/artikel/28950/Review-Dynaudio-Contour-30i-Een-zeer-aangename-nieuwe-kennismaking.html

Reactions: Fjodor2000

·
Registered
7,711 Posts

I am on a couple of those forums, as though I can't stand "Facebook" lately even false information hits the forums on how much better something is, take it with a grain of salt as Dynaudio Contour series/Special 40 speaker got rave reviews before they changed it to the "i" series, most of the people talking about how much better they are don't have both pairs sitting side by side.. Frankly you can get great deals on current models, the "i" series from my understanding hasn't hit the US yet. Most reviews are going to say they are better, but for them to be "believable" to me, is they have the current versions to compare them... either way you look at it your going to get a great speaker.

Reactions: andrex99

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
On another note: Trying to declutter and simply, any recommendations on a good computer/office system for music Looking at the KEF LSX/Dynaudio possibly but want a near field speaker "powered" that will sound good without breaking the bank. Been using some NAD/PSB speakers and a small Int. Amp and some other Dali speakers as well, getting rid of all of that to simply it more...

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
On another note: Trying to declutter and simply, any recommendations on a good computer/office system for music Looking at the KEF LSX/Dynaudio possibly but want a near field speaker "powered" that will sound good without breaking the bank. Been using some NAD/PSB speakers and a small Int. Amp and some other Dali speakers as well, getting rid of all of that to simply it more...
I've spent time with LSX speakers. Easily 90% of what LS50 Wireless are in sound quality. Get a good app on your desktop PC or phone, stream without using the somewhat inept KEF app.

Of the different fabric finishes, the green with red driver is the only one that has the designer Michael Young's signature. In the UK there's a "Soundwave Edition" from another British designer.

Reactions: Garman

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
CD: What's your take on the KEF, LSX or LS50 as I know you had them at one point... Office system, going to try a good powered speaker set hooked to my computer...
I never had, either powered LS50s; or LSX.

I've certainly, been tempted to buy some LSX; for a Bedroom system, that I've been missing...since I took my pair of Sonos Ones, to the Office.

While I'm sure, the LSX would bury them; you are talking, $1250. vs. 400/pr

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Lol. Harsh but true.
ToddDavid; understandably...you're probably a bit gun-shy. Don't let, any of us; run you off.

Believe it or not; we're a friendly group. Most of us...have been posting a l o n g time; so maybe we're too intolerant of noobies (though we welcome them, enthusiastically, to the Dyn family).

And; we don't like, AVRs much...lol. But please; enjoy those X18s...and stay a part of the community. :)

46881 - 46900 of 47724 Posts