AVS Forum banner

46901 - 46920 of 47727 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Speaking of volume, how difficult are the X18’s to blow? If the bass is set to 0 [neutral] and the crossover is at 80, can they play to -5 dB on my older Yamaha HTR 6090 that’s allegedly rated at 840 total watts?
When I had a HT system, I found that a very well placed 5.1 or 5.2 was better then a “fit it in” 7.1 system. Currently my main system is 2.1 because my house now doesn’t support a well laid out 5.1 and it’d be hard to mount speakers and run wires without re-drywalling the rooms. My other room has a 3.0 where my kids are. I honestly don’t miss the surround sound system.

I enjoyed Marantz, I had both a 5010 and a 7007 at different times. Better then the Integra 40.1 I had.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Still others say they prefer the sound of the old speaker, saying the original [Contour] are more true to the Dynaudio house sound [than the new Contour i-series].

Would you care to elaborate on this? Is the original Contour more laid back, and the Contour i-series more forward? Or what does it mean that the Contour i-series is less true to the Dynaudio house sound? :confused:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Would you care to elaborate on this? Is the original Contour more laid back, and the Contour i-series more forward? Or what does it mean that the Contour i-series is less true to the Dynaudio house sound? :confused:

House’ sound is a subjective term. Maybe we prefer what we accustomed of and take it as our reference.

Reading the reviews, to me it seems they retained lot of same character.

The tech they use in the new tweeters though, if i compare between esotar 2 and 3, bring out more natural, clearer, faster and much more (micro) detail.
That could be why some prefer older model, maybe they are more foregiving on source?
Or more relaxed, some further soundstage?
But if your source is fine, than ‘new’ dynaudio gives you more layers in music / sound. At least what i expect in new ‘ i ‘ Contour based on new Confidence experience and reading the latest reviews.

Reactions: Fjodor2000

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Thanks.
Unfortunately I can’️t spend more than $800-1000 for this first amp, and I don’️t know if I can go the route of a 2 channel integrated on top of a new AVR.

Which of the budget amps will pair the best with the Excites?... and also which AVR brands? Within my budget I think I’️m between a Marantz 6013 and Integra DRX 4.2... or perhaps a Marantz 7012.

Am I better off for the time being just using the AVR’️s amp in 2 channel and maybe grabbing something like an Outlaw 5000 to give everything a boost?
Personally, I would buy a decent used receiver in the $300-400 range, save up just a bit more, and then buy a quality amplifier in the $1,000 range to run your front mains. Something like a used Naim 5si can be had in the $1,000 range.

If you care about warranty, you could buy a smaller Marantz NR1510 from accessories4less for $449. You don't need much power to run a center and a pair of surrounds to begin with. They play limited information. Then save up a little more for a quality 2 channel amp to run your mains.
what about a used Rega Elex R for under a grand?
I heard the Rega Brio and Musical Fidelity M3i and Naim Nait 5i, I bought the Naim. I would probably consider Hegel if I ever switched from Naim, but I now have a SuperNait 3 and have no desire to make any changes.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Dane freaks; anyone given Jamo the time of day? /forum/images/smilies/confused.gif
OMG years ago before Klipsch bought them... warm speakers. I ended up buying Energy speakers at the time.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I've done that a few times. In at least three iterations of my HT system, I used a high quality 2-channel integrated with a unity gain/HT bypass input, along with an AVR with pre-out for the front L&R channels. I had my stereo sources going direct to the integrated, and multichannel sources going through the AVR. For me, the priority was to get better sound out of the front L&R channels.
Thanks Red. In that case, should I be wanting an integrated amp capable of streaming its own music [for nights of 2-channel listening], while having my other streaming source running through the AVR for the times I want multi-channel stereo? .... or can I run a single streaming source through the AVR and still have it used by the integrated amp in 2 channel stereo?
I’ve run AVRs with HT Bypass/AV Gain for years, until last year when we bought this house. So call it 12 years or so....

If as you mention above, 2-ch isn’t your preference then don’t worry about an Integrated Amp, just buy a solid receiver I’d say buy something like an Anthem 720. I know it’s over your budget but musically it’ll sound better then the Marantz/Denon and Integra models, I’ve owned both. I even have an Onkyo in my bedroom.

The Anthem is a powerful, uses toroidal transformers, sounds good, can power all the channels you require. Then get a good streaming device later and be complete. It will still sound great in 2-ch if the mood strikes.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
callas01: Not sure what you where using with the KEF LS50 when you had them, but after having them for 5 days in my main system with my main Belles gear, I almost didn't sell them! Compared to the Contour 20, they don't have the class to keep up, but at $899 right now, I would say they would be the speaker to beat under 2K and under, pretty impressive. Very impressive in near field, I am tempted to get the LSX version for my office and just get rid of all the other clutter.... I just put two sets of smaller speakers up for sale and a small Teac Int. I been using in my office, just simplifying and moving stuff sitting out... /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif .
I listened to them with a T+A R series Integrated amp. And then we switched to S1.4 and finally 380s.

Reactions: Garman

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
I've spent time with LSX speakers. Easily 90% of what LS50 Wireless are in sound quality. Get a good app on your desktop PC or phone, stream without using the somewhat inept KEF app.

Of the different fabric finishes, the green with red driver is the only one that has the designer Michael Young's signature. In the UK there's a "Soundwave Edition" from another British designer.
Ken,

Thanks I just sold about 4 pieces of gear and used funds for buying the Aqua Dac which I am extremely pleased with, and I did find a new pair of the KEF LSX in black/grey color that are coming this week. Way too much clutter my desktop and wanted a more clean look.. I was going to look at a pair of 110A which I had before or the XEO but I had issues with 2 pairs, so I decided to give KEF a chance since they do nearfield very well. I was going to use the KEF LS50, but they just were too big for desk and defeated the purpose of simplifying.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I’ve run AVRs with HT Bypass/AV Gain for years, until last year when we bought this house. So call it 12 years or so....

If as you mention above, 2-ch isn’t your preference then don’t worry about an Integrated Amp, just buy a solid receiver I’d say buy something like an Anthem 720. I know it’s over your budget but musically it’ll sound better then the Marantz/Denon and Integra models, I’ve owned both. I even have an Onkyo in my bedroom.

The Anthem is a powerful, uses toroidal transformers, sounds good, can power all the channels you require. Then get a good streaming device later and be complete. It will still sound great in 2-ch if the mood strikes.
Anthem MRX-720 does not have toroidal transformer. 2 of the Atmos channels are class D with 60 watts on both 720 and 1120.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I’️ve run AVRs with HT Bypass/AV Gain for years, until last year when we bought this house. So call it 12 years or so....

If as you mention above, 2-ch isn’️t your preference then don’️t worry about an Integrated Amp, just buy a solid receiver I’️d say buy something like an Anthem 720. I know it’️s over your budget but musically it’️ll sound better then the Marantz/Denon and Integra models, I’️ve owned both. I even have an Onkyo in my bedroom.

Anthem MRX-720 does not have toroidal transformer. 2 of the Atmos channels are class D with 60 watts on both 720 and 1120.
So just the 1120 has the toroidal? Their pics are a bit misleading then.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I've spent time with LSX speakers. Easily 90% of what LS50 Wireless are in sound quality. Get a good app on your desktop PC or phone, stream without using the somewhat inept KEF app.

Of the different fabric finishes, the green with red driver is the only one that has the designer Michael Young's signature. In the UK there's a "Soundwave Edition" from another British designer.
I am digging the LSX in the bedroom and I agree with you them being really close to the LS50. The great midrange is there in spades. The KEF app is pretty awful but I just use Roon to feed them.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Talking about Kef speakers on a Dynaudio forum?, the nerve... :p

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
no quarter: LOL, main system is minus Dynaudio now! ;) I did mention Dynaudio in my post.. lol

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
no quarter: LOL, main system is minus Dynaudio now! ;) I did mention Dynaudio in my post.. lol
Ya it gets awfully boring and slow here if all you talk about is how great Dynaudio is, when in fact, there is a whole world of other gear out there. It appears that a few of us have moved on.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Ya it gets awfully boring and slow here if all you talk about is how great Dynaudio is, when in fact, there is a whole world of other gear out there. It appears that a few of us have moved on.
I still have 10 Dynaudio speakers. Should I seek help? :p

Reactions: yonson

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
I'm right there with you, 12 if you count center channels...
I was counting center channel and sub:
Audience 72
Audience 122C
Audience 62
Audience 52SE
Sub500
Confidence C2 Platinum

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
No intention of moving on, just going to enjoy what I have.... My last piece of the puzzle was just a good Dac, I have a backup system which I could easily live with as well, just don't have time to check anything out right now. Now that could chance once kids are out of the house, but still got a couple more years yet. ;)

RaceTripper/Yonson: Some oldies but good ones! My vary first system was LR120 X 5 for HT.... I had Confidence 3/5 etc.. way too long to list, but pretty easy to go through a ton of Dynaudio's when you work at a store, and they were are number #1 brand... I think I might have had 30-40 different pairs over the years.

·
Registered
798 Posts
On another note: Trying to declutter and simply, any recommendations on a good computer/office system for music Looking at the KEF LSX/Dynaudio possibly but want a near field speaker "powered" that will sound good without breaking the bank. Been using some NAD/PSB speakers and a small Int. Amp and some other Dali speakers as well, getting rid of all of that to simply it more...
If you're willing to go used, I found a mint condition pair of Dynaudio BM-6a mkII for a really great price on the used market locally. They sound incredible, but keep in mind they're not an all-in-one system. They need to be fed with a DAC/preamp for D/A conversion and volume control. Well worth it though.

Reactions: Garman
46901 - 46920 of 47727 Posts