AVS Forum banner

47041 - 47060 of 47741 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Why surprised about SN3? You have C20 right? Plays those right? Why would it struggle with CF20?
Yep and very happy. I just thought CF20 would be a bit harder to drive and sound best with at least a 282/250DR or 300DR combo.
I’m sure most of not all speakers would sound best as you move up to higher electronics but that doesn’t mean a lesser piece in the hierarchy, SN3, isn’t up to the job.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
If you're not going to treat a room then I'd suggest listening in the relative nearfield as that will introduce less room interaction (obviously). Farfield in an untreated room will really make it difficult to know what is the recording and what is the room.

Of course there's a myriad of factors at play, not least personal taste, and there's nothing to say a less 'accurate' representation of the recording can't be subjectively more appealing anyway. And yes 'some' treatments are pretty ugly, although there are plenty of companies making decor friendly panels and traps that are less intrusive. But if you're happy then that is all that matters!
The speakers are about 8 feet apart and we sit about 9 feet from them. We mostly listen to acoustic jazz and classical, about 70% analog source (TT) and about 30% digital source. We love how it sounds and feel no need to change anything. I suppose professional room treatments would improve the sound, but it's not important enough to ruin the look and feel of the room.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That's all fine for smaller[ish] collections, but I have to store 4000 LPs and growing. Spine out like books is most efficient and makes it easier to locate things quickly.
Since you have a rather large collection, how do you clean them? I thought someone had asked you this but I couldn't find the answer....

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Since you have a rather large collection, how do you clean them? I thought someone had asked you this but I couldn't find the answer....
I have an Audio Desk ultrasonic record cleaner. I also have an older Okki Nokki RCM, but I don't use that anymore.

Reactions: yonson

·
Registered
879 Posts
From what I understand, the new Dynaudio Contour i-Series are available in the stores. I.e Contour 20i, 30i and 60i.

So I just wonder if there is anyone that has listened to them yet? If so, if you could share your experiences that would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
From what I understand, the new Dynaudio Contour i-Series are available in the stores. I.e Contour 20i, 30i and 60i.

So I just wonder if there is anyone that has listened to them yet? If so, if you could share your experiences that would be much appreciated.

They won’t be in the states until August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't do room treatments per say. I have wall hangings, rugs, pillows, and the records behind the speakers acting as sort of a diffuser. It all sounds great. Could I do measurements, get anxious about them and start adding room treatments and such to make the graph look good? Yes. Would it all improve my enjoyment of music. Maybe. Would it make me enjoy the room less for looking like a recording studio with ugly treatments? Probably. Do I need to bother? Nope. :)

I've spent a lot of time with speaker positioning to get things sound the best and bring out the staging orchestra/choral music. The isoAcoutsics Gaia II feet helped that too. I'm very happy with it all.

Thanks RaceTripper, good advice and attitude, also my guess is that toe-in angle is probably critical in this sort of room . Looking to go with the Gaia also.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Thanks RaceTripper, good advice and attitude, also my guess is that toe-in angle is probably critical in this sort of room . Looking to go with the Gaia also.
Yeah, I have used well-mastered orchestra/choral music to help with getting optimal toe-in on my speakers for best soundstage. They don't have very much, but some.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Anyone here...ever had to deal, with ear/hearing problems?

As audiophiles; our ears, are our treasure. Mine...have started, not to drain properly; and I seem to have, an ever-increasing case of tinnitus.

Sure...I'll see my ENT; but just wonderin'. Anyone had to go through something similar, and come out improved on the other side?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been looking at the various lines in the Dynaudio Home section but something I've noticed are the lack of 1st order crossovers. I only see the Special Forty having 1st order. I thought Dynaudio was a big proponent of 1st order, or unless there are more Dyns I'm not seeing?

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
They won’️t be in the states until August.

Ok, but they are available in Europe. So maybe someone from there has listened to the new Contour i-Series and can share some experiences?
Try Facebook Dynaudio enthusiasts there a few people that have heard them. Not too many of them frequent this forum.

Reactions: Fjodor2000

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I've been looking at the various lines in the Dynaudio Home section but something I've noticed are the lack of 1st order crossovers. I only see the Special Forty having 1st order. I thought Dynaudio was a big proponent of 1st order, or unless there are more Dyns I'm not seeing?
@Otto can probably give you more details, but in recent designs they’ve moved away from the previous strict adherence of 1st order only.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts

I do believe Special40 is the last Dynaudio speaker with a 1st order Xover. Otto will tell you that the move to 2nd order for newer speakers is an improvement after years of preaching the opposite. Most people will interpret the move as having to do with the Chinese ownership: either for cost-savings or to appeal to Chinese ears over European ears.

At the end of the day, it is best to listen for yourself and do a demo. I would venture to guess that Special40 is perhaps the #1 selling Dynaudio speaking in their history. It is immensely popular for a reason. I can also tell you that I see a lot more used Contour X0 models for sale than Special40, although having demoed Special40 and Contour 20, my ears prefer the latter. The original red birch are special indeed. The other finishes are less so, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice to hear you are digging the C4’s, I have never heard a pair. What are the other speakers that you heard, and felt the C4’s were better?
Sorry , had some personal stuff that kept me away from my computer . I was really liking the Wilson Sacha DAW and almost bought them also I was thinking about the Linn Akubarik or was it the Klima active ? . I was or am a big fan of JM lab Focal , I owned the Mini Utopias with a Sub for about 20 years . They were great until I moved into this space, then I kept playing with the sub . I could not get the bass right and was listening to the sub instead of the music . I was going to get the Scalla evo but then I heard about the C4 and tried it . I find that C 4 sounds a lot like the new Wilson DAW, very strange . I remember when JM Lab and Wilson sounded alike with the titanium tweeter .
I love Sonus Farber but didn't get a chance to audition , very beautiful speakers . For my space and my taste C4s are great and won my heart .

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Anyone here...ever had to deal, with ear/hearing problems?

As audiophiles; our ears, are our treasure. Mine...have started, not to drain properly; and I seem to have, an ever-increasing case of tinnitus.

Sure...I'll see my ENT; but just wonderin'. Anyone had to go through something similar, and come out improved on the other side?
I have a touch of tinnitus after working in a machine shop since age 17, but I just live with it. It comes and goes, like a high pitched ringing, but nothing unbearable.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
47041 - 47060 of 47741 Posts