AVS Forum banner

47061 - 47080 of 47739 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've been looking at the various lines in the Dynaudio Home section but something I've noticed are the lack of 1st order crossovers. I only see the Special Forty having 1st order. I thought Dynaudio was a big proponent of 1st order, or unless there are more Dyns I'm not seeing?
Pretty much everything that has come out since the new Contours have been 2nd order. I believe Otto mentioned why in here a few hundred pages back...

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Well I think I'm set on the Special Forty. The woofer is baller, smashes most woofers out there.

Look at that voice coil!
Take this for what you will. I’ve owned both towers and bookshelf’s from Dynaudio, Focus 160 & 260s and also now the Contour 20s. The bass on the 20s is superior to the 160s, and nearly matches the 260s. My 160s could bottom out quite easily, the 260s never had that issue and I have yet to have that issue with the 20s either. Of those 3 speakers the best one has been the Contour 20s. Of course everyone’s preferences will be their own. In the end the 260s could dig the deepest, but the 20s dig pretty close to the 260s, which is also much further then the 160s would reach. To me the old woofer had great upper mid-bass punch, but the newer woofers have a deeper bass punch and extension.

I haven’t heard the S40s, they do seem like a speaker I’d eventually own in my second living room one day... probably post kids! I’d expect these to sound better then the 160s. I’ve seen the C1s bottom out, not as much as the 160s, and I know this speakers uses the C1 woofer, just doesn’t have as much cabinet space.

But no doubt the S40 will be special. Never heard anything overtly negative.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've owned both Special 40 and Contour 20. The Contour 20 is clearly a step up in nearly every way. But, I'd say the S40 suits a small room far more than the C20. The C20 goes lower and has far more output, in fact I'd say it really isn't what I'd call a 'small' or 'bookshelf' speaker at all. If you have a small room then yeah, the S40 is IMHO the better choice as it won't exacerbate room node issues like the C20s.

Also, I think that the C20 is less friendly toward poor recordings. It is an extremely neutral and revealing speaker and there are times that the less revealing nature of the S40 is going to be easier to live with in that respect. That could be why the S40 is such a popular model, it's just easier to live with.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well I think I'm set on the Special Forty. The woofer is baller, smashes most woofers out there.
Great choice. You won't be disappointed.

I, too, have owned the Focus 160, 260, and the Contour 20 others are speaking of. The Special 40 is leagues better than the Focus 160 or 260. The 260 beats the Special 40 in low end extension only. Period. The old Contour 20 beats the Special 40 in stage depth only. The Contour 20 is a bit more laid back and not as fast or dynamic as the Special 40. The new Contour "i" series that is now being released takes some build aspects from the Special 40, so I'd expect it to sound a bit different than the old model. Namely, the Nomex spider material on the mid bass driver, and the Special 40 tweeter with the addition of the plastic hexi under the dome.

For what's it worth. I sold the old Contour 20's I owned for over a year, and kept the Special 40.

Take this for what you will. I’ve owned both towers and bookshelf’s from Dynaudio, Focus 160 & 260s and also now the Contour 20s. The bass on the 20s is superior to the 160s, and nearly matches the 260s. My 160s could bottom out quite easily, the 260s never had that issue and I have yet to have that issue with the 20s either. Of those 3 speakers the best one has been the Contour 20s. Of course everyone’s preferences will be their own. In the end the 260s could dig the deepest, but the 20s dig pretty close to the 260s, which is also much further then the 160s would reach. To me the old woofer had great upper mid-bass punch, but the newer woofers have a deeper bass punch and extension.

I haven’t heard the S40s, they do seem like a speaker I’d eventually own in my second living room one day... probably post kids! I’d expect these to sound better then the 160s. I’ve seen the C1s bottom out, not as much as the 160s, and I know this speakers uses the C1 woofer, just doesn’t have as much cabinet space.

Why do you continually compare the Special 40 to the Focus 160? The mid bass driver, port tuning, and cabinet size are all TOTALLY different. The mid bass drivers themselves couldn't be any more different. They use different magnet material, different spider material, different voice coil former material, and the Special 40 driver has extended throw. The x18 has way more in common with the previous Focus series than the Special 40 does.

Also, the Special 40 driver isn't the same as the C1 driver. It's an IMPROVED version of that driver. Once again, it uses a different voice coil former and spider material in comparison to the old C1 driver.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Glad you are enjoying them. I previously had mine in a "medium" sized room at my old house and I actually think they did a bit better there than currently in my large open plan space.
Contrary to the current models, those 'older' Confidences were not tuned in a space measuring 13 meter at each side. :smile:
But yes, properly driven and controlled, a larger speaker can show its qualities in terms of dynamics, resolution details and depth also at lower volume levels and more clearly so in a more smallish room.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts

Look at that voice coil!

Don't forget my 3 hour 3-way shoot-out between Contour 20, Special Forty, and Contour 1.4LE. I could get the latter two to bottom out with bass heavy tracks. While S40 is better than Focus 160, its woofer suffers the same bass limitation. If you like bass, I assume s S40+Sub6 is a killer combo.

Reactions: Suboctave

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm glad someone brought up the "laid back" sound sig. That is NOT what I want.

I like an aggressive, dynamic presentation. I hate polite, relaxed speakers. So if the Special 40s are more forward than the other speakers dicussed here, then that's good news as its closer to my preference.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts

I like an aggressive, dynamic presentation. I hate polite, relaxed speakers. So if the Special 40s are more forward than the other speakers dicussed here, then that's good news as its closer to my preference.

I don't disagree. I've auditioned Contour 20 and 30 the most out of that series and when mated to the right equipment I felt that the experience was much wider and immersive than Special 40. The difference of being a few rows back in the audience versus right at the front of the mosh pit. Towards the end of my ownership of Focus 260, my ears were frankly getting a little fatigued. They were perhaps too focused. Hence why I began auditioning Contour back in 2017 or so. At the time, I was not anticipating buying a home and my living room could accommodate Contour 30. Then we bought a place, moved, and the size of the living room is more appropriate for Contour 20. So, yes, Contour may be a little bit more relaxed but I still feel they are more capable and will improve/scale even more with better equipment than Special 40.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Anyone here...ever had to deal, with ear/hearing problems?

As audiophiles; our ears, are our treasure. Mine...have started, not to drain properly; and I seem to have, an ever-increasing case of tinnitus.

Sure...I'll see my ENT; but just wonderin'. Anyone had to go through something similar, and come out improved on the other side?
My ears over-produce wax, so I have to clean them out periodically. It's a PITA. When my ears are clear, I have very faint tinnitus that I don't notice most of the time. I believe it comes from years of motorcycle touring. When I first started riding, I didn't wear earplugs. I used to hunt when I was younger, so gunshots might be a contributor as well.

When my ears are getting plugged up with wax, the tinnitus gets worse. Listening to loud music also makes it worse. I can't go to a rock concert without earplugs, otherwise my ears will be killing me for a couple days afterward. Live music at bars can sometimes get loud enough to do that too. I also suffer from high blood pressure that I take medication for. When my blood pressure is drifting high, I also notice a lower-pitched tinnitus, more like a faint whooshing sound. Finally, alcohol and aspirin make it worse as well.

Hopefully, you just have a wax buildup problem like me and not something more serious. There's lots of different causes of tinnitus. Meniere’s disease is one to worry about, but it's usually accompanied by dizziness.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't disagree. I've auditioned Contour 20 and 30 the most out of that series and when mated to the right equipment I felt that the experience was much wider and immersive than Special 40. The difference of being a few rows back in the audience versus right at the front of the mosh pit. Towards the end of my ownership of Focus 260, my ears were frankly getting a little fatigued. They were perhaps too focused. Hence why I began auditioning Contour back in 2017 or so. At the time, I was not anticipating buying a home and my living room could accommodate Contour 30. Then we bought a place, moved, and the size of the living room is more appropriate for Contour 20. So, yes, Contour may be a little bit more relaxed but I still feel they are more capable and will improve/scale even more with better equipment than Special 40.
Sorry, are you saying the Special 40 has more upfront staging like being in a most pit or is it staged back a few rows?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry, are you saying the Special 40 has more upfront staging like being in a most pit or is it staged back a few rows?
The S40 has less soundstage depth and width than the C20 and I think that coupled with slightly hotter mids pushes the sound forward to the speaker plane which makes it feel a bit more insistent. The C20 is just more neutral and the soundstage and presentation will more closely reflect what was recorded (or in most cases mixed in ie reverb/delay).

Reactions: GTaudiophile

·
Registered
114 Posts

You might be better served looking at a different brand if you want aggressive and dynamic. Something like Klipsch would give you that dynamic, aggressive sound in spades.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
You might be better served looking at a different brand if you want aggressive and dynamic. Something like Klipsch would give you that dynamic, aggressive sound in spades.
Dyns have no problem sounding aggressive and dynamic if you back them up with the right high-current amp. Mine can boogy like crazy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Dyns have no problem sounding aggressive and dynamic if you back them up with the right high-current amp. Mine can boogy like crazy.
While that's true to a degree I just don't think it's a Dynaudio strength if you see what I mean. Dyns are kind of known for being warm, polite and not shouty and irritating. You really have to work at making them sound like s***. :D

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
While that's true to a degree I just don't think it's a Dynaudio strength if you see what I mean. Dyns are kind of known for being warm, polite and not shouty and irritating. You really have to work at making them sound like s***. :D
I may not be hearing what you are.

I never thought of any Dyns (S1.4, S3.4, C2) in my music system as "polite." They are punchy, toe-tapping and dynamic, with a very neutral presentation that does a great job showing what was mastered, IMHO. At least that's my experience with the music I play (mostly acoustic jazz and classical, but rock too). They never even sounded warm enough to me until I stepped up the game on amplification, and they are never too warm. They seem a perfect match for the great PrAT of my Naim gear.

Reactions: Make Em' Dance

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
The S40 has less soundstage depth and width than the C20 and I think that coupled with slightly hotter mids pushes the sound forward to the speaker plane which makes it feel a bit more insistent. The C20 is just more neutral and the soundstage and presentation will more closely reflect what was recorded (or in most cases mixed in ie reverb/delay).

Sounds about right.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You should also consider the fact that the Special 40 driver has a lighter suspension in combination with a NEO hybrid magnet. This alone gives it more sensitivity and allows the motor to be more in control of the cone.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I wouldn't say I consider my C4s overly polite, I just think some other speakers are downright rude at times. My older contours arn't impolite but forget to say please and thank you every now and again.

I do love torturing a good analogy

·
Registered
8 Posts

Everything is subjective and I'm not saying that this speaker is better than that speaker .I am saying that in the right space the Dynaudio C4 Platinum is amazing .

47061 - 47080 of 47739 Posts