AVS Forum banner

47081 - 47100 of 47724 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Garman
You have been awfully quiet since you got the Aqua Dac, how is it sounding after living with it for a while?

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJSiKtYnyZI

Everything is subjective and I'm not saying that this speaker is better than that speaker .I am saying that in the right space the Dynaudio C4 Platinum is amazing .
So is the video your current setup? I use to have a much bigger room, wife made me move my C4 to the basement and they were way too big, so I went to the C2's, lost a tad bit of bass but still kept the overall great sound quality. Here is my setup now, I switch out from time to time with the Contour 20's.. which are pretty damn good for a monitor. Nice looking room, what music is playing and who is the artist and thanks for sharing!

First pic is a pair of C4 originals and then S5.4s....
Second is my old room with the original C2s and new Mocha Platinums which I still currently have see 3rd pic..
Third Pic is my current setup... I had the pleasure of working for a dealer years ago, so I have had a ton of different Dyn's come though my house..

no quarter: enjoying the music, and enjoying the dac as well... Going through a big buyout right now, company is buying ours, so interviewing just incase I do not get retained. Good news is I landed a whale of a customer during a "pandemic" and its enough for a years salary... so who knows I might sell everything off and start from scratch! LOL "Not" Although I am going to try a pair of Elac Vela 403 monitors for kicks... The C2's are just a great match for my room, however I would love if they had the same finish as the Gray Oak Contours I have.... ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I hope things work out for you Garman with the buyout, I actually just started back at work yesterday after over 5 months off from my knee injury. My shop is deemed “essential”, so they have been open throughout the pandemic. My gear buying days are over now, I will only be spending money on music from now on...mostly LP’s.😎

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I'm glad someone brought up the "laid back" sound sig. That is NOT what I want.

I like an aggressive, dynamic presentation. I hate polite, relaxed speakers. So if the Special 40s are more forward than the other speakers dicussed here, then that's good news as its closer to my preference.
Maybe you should also listen to the KEF LS50 and the Monitor Audio Gold series too..

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Maybe you should also listen to the KEF LS50 and the Monitor Audio Gold series too..
Great NearField speaker.... Loved them and I was going to keep them for my office, but decided on the smaller LSX for computer system... If I had a medium to smaller size room, I would definitely get another pair of these.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So is the video your current setup? I use to have a much bigger room, wife made me move my C4 to the basement and they were way too big, so I went to the C2's, lost a tad bit of bass but still kept the overall great sound quality. Here is my setup now, I switch out from time to time with the Contour 20's.. which are pretty damn good for a monitor. Nice looking room, what music is playing and who is the artist and thanks for sharing!

First pic is a pair of C4 originals and then S5.4s....
Second is my old room with the original C2s and new Mocha Platinums which I still currently have see 3rd pic..
Third Pic is my current setup... I had the pleasure of working for a dealer years ago, so I have had a ton of different Dyn's come though my house..

no quarter: enjoying the music, and enjoying the dac as well... Going through a big buyout right now, company is buying ours, so interviewing just incase I do not get retained. Good news is I landed a whale of a customer during a "pandemic" and its enough for a years salary... so who knows I might sell everything off and start from scratch! LOL "Not" Although I am going to try a pair of Elac Vela 403 monitors for kicks... The C2's are just a great match for my room, however I would love if they had the same finish as the Gray Oak Contours I have.... ;)
Nice pictures ! No that is not my room, the room in the video belongs to a reviewer . He has interesting videos on sound equipment .

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Here is a great deal on a pair of Speakers! Unfortunately the guy is kind off the ranch, and most likely not the original owner. He won't sell the speakers by themselves and will not detach the speakers and sell them by themselves... So if anyone lives near by here you go.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254619043442?ul_noapp=true

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Here is a great deal on a pair of Speakers! Unfortunately the guy is kind off the ranch, and most likely not the original owner. He won't sell the speakers by themselves and will not detach the speakers and sell them by themselves... So if anyone lives near by here you go.....

I've always wanted a pair of Special 25, but I want them in birds-eye maple and with black stands. Even if they come up I can't justify buying them, and don't have an application for them anyway.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts

Geez. He used some sort of adhesive to attach the stands, sand included! Yeah, not shipping those. Probably would destroy the speakers to attempt to remove the stands. Kind of idiot move IMO. Shame.

Reactions: Garman

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Geez. He used some sort of adhesive to attach the stands, sand included! Yeah, not shipping those. Probably would destroy the speakers to attempt to remove the stands. Kind of idiot move IMO. Shame.
Yeah, I was wondering about that. I would just use BluTac or Sorbothane, if anything at all.

Also, looks like one of the tweeters was crushed and sucked out again.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I am surprised the Special 25s didn't come with threaded holes on bottom to properly mount it. Didn't like that about the Special 40s either. How much can it cost to add four threads per speaker?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've always wanted a pair of Special 25, but I want them in birds-eye maple and with black stands. Even if they come up I can't justify buying them, and don't have an application for them anyway.

I still have a pair and use them for 2 channel HT. They are perfect for that application being that they are very incisive and dynamic with great vocal articulation. I tired for many years to fit them with the right amplification; they never worked for me as an all around speaker for music when it came to naturalness--but when you had the right music and everything worked they would transport you to the venue like no other speaker I have ever heard.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I still have a pair and use them for 2 channel HT. They are perfect for that application being that they are very incisive and dynamic with great vocal articulation. I tired for many years to fit them with the right amplification; they never worked for me as an all around speaker for music when it came to naturalness--but when you had the right music and everything worked they would transport you to the venue like no other speaker I have ever heard.
I would love to hear what they sound like for music in my Naim system, not that I'm looking to change anything. My HT has an older NAD T758 and maybe not enough juice to make them really shine.

Reactions: Suboctave

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I am surprised the Special 25s didn't come with threaded holes on bottom to properly mount it. Didn't like that about the Special 40s either. How much can it cost to add four threads per speaker?

Another aspect of the Contour 20 I like.

·
Registered
548 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Awesome thank you! My Special Fortys arrive on Saturday! Super excited. I love my BM15s and curious how the 40s will be.
Congrats, they are a great speaker!

47081 - 47100 of 47724 Posts