AVS Forum banner

47141 - 47160 of 47716 Posts

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Hi :) I am looking for an amplifier that creates a good synergy with the Dynaudio Emit M10, I know that Naim equipment is used by many but my budget for only amp is around €1000-1300€, what I am looking for from an amplifier is the power, rhythmic sense, energy, punch, dynamic but not at the expense of details, to have the feeling of being wrapped in a 3D dimension. I would like the mid range to be slightly rounded and warm and that the high frequencies are not too bright, I also like a sound with a large and deep soundtage and a good separation of instruments, I like a general warmth but also to distinguish transients well, I would also like it to listen well at low volumes without losing any information of the musical track. I will use my PC as a source in a configuration in the nearfield, the speakers will be positioned on stands "Norstone Stylum 3" I would prefer to use a separate DAC, I also use headphones for listening at night, so I would appreciate if the amplifier also had a headphone output

Big thanks and everyone for your support ;) I hope you can direct me in the best choice

Best Regards!
Plenty of good stuff out there new and used market... Lots of good stuff on used market that barely gets used... Good Int. Amps like Musical Fidelity, McIntosh, Belles Int. Aria, Rega, etc.. The used market is full of good stuff and in a lot of cases some of that gear has been barely used in some cases. Also plenty of good dac's and some good Int. Amps like Hegel do have good dacs also built in.. I have Belles Amps and Pre/Amp, but I really like the Belles Aria Int. Amp, shocked on how good it sounds for the money........

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I have the Modi 3, for $99 it’s a very good dac. I like it much more then the dac in my Bluesound Node 2.
I’m all reality I don’t like the BSN2 at all. Although it does allow for many streaming options.
Thanks x2 for the Modi 3 recommendations! I'm definitely inclined to try it now, especially at $99. (I still remember back when the very first stand-alone DACs were the size of a shoe box and cost as much as a small car.)

Incidentally, I've spent my first 24 hours streaming music from my Chromecast audio to these Xeo 2 speakers, and I'm now officially a Dynaudio fanatic!! Holy s--t, I haven't heard this kind of bang for the buck since I bought a pair of PSB Alpha's when I left for college. I'm already rationalizing how I can spend the $ to upgrade to the newer Xeo or Focus. (I swear, being a Hi Fi enthusiast is an addiction!)

Re. the Bluesound Node, what's the general consensus around here on it? I'm already discovering some of the limitations of the Chromecast, e.g. not working at full resolution with Amazon HD, and I've read that the Bluesound Node is the best alternative without spending $1,000. (Does it work with things like Google Assistant/Home?)
I don’t know if the BSN2 or 2i works with Google or Amazon products.

My experience with the BSN2 is different as I came from a high end streamer to this unit. The response is a little slow when accessing the app and trying to play music. There’s a ground loop that creates a hum and so I have fixed that by making a ground cable and attaching it to the RCA output on the BSN2 and putting it into an outlets ground receptacle. The search function seems antiquated and sometimes you can see all songs by popularity and other times just artists albums display. The Naim was more like ROON in that it would search your local files, Tidal, & Qobuz for artists or songs you were searching. Plus it didn’t cause ground loop issues. The dac/analog section of the BSN2 is an in-your-face sound, so I use the Modi 3 which has a wider soundstage and less aggressive presentation and also a more detailed presentation.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Hi /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif I am looking for an amplifier that creates a good synergy with the Dynaudio Emit M10, I know that Naim equipment is used by many but my budget for only amp is around €1000-1300€, what I am looking for from an amplifier is the power, rhythmic sense, energy, punch, dynamic but not at the expense of details, to have the feeling of being wrapped in a 3D dimension. I would like the mid range to be slightly rounded and warm and that the high frequencies are not too bright, I also like a sound with a large and deep soundtage and a good separation of instruments, I like a general warmth but also to distinguish transients well, I would also like it to listen well at low volumes without losing any information of the musical track. I will use my PC as a source in a configuration in the nearfield, the speakers will be positioned on stands "Norstone Stylum 3" I would prefer to use a separate DAC, I also use headphones for listening at night, so I would appreciate if the amplifier also had a headphone output

Big thanks and everyone for your support /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif I hope you can direct me in the best choice

Best Regards!
Don’t be afraid of used gear, audiogon.com and USaudiomart.com have always had reputable sellers.
Naim, Hegel, Simaudio, NAD, Arcam, Creek, Exposure, and rogue may be good places to start.
Schiit could work too.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
I get where you're coming from but I think it's just that we've become acclimatised to what cheap digital does. Clearly digital has better linearity, extension and channel separation. However even cheap analog has an ease to it that's hard to quantify.

Digital (particularly at the low end) can be sterile and a bit rough/edgy. I actually have found that as you move upward digital actually starts to be more analog sounding, ironically. Digital has the convenience factor though, and with Tidal et al a huge library of music is dirt cheap.

But cueing up a record, and the whole ritual, just makes listening more, I don't know, special somehow? More of an event? And personally I can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday than browsing racks of records.. :)
Yeah I am talking about comparing a really good, fairly high end DAC like the PS Audio DirectStream to a turntable setup. The PS Audio is very analog sounding. But in order to match it with a turntable setup within the scope you mentioned above plus detail, spacial cues, and the other audiophile atributes we look for, it is going to cost quite a bit more then the price of the $6K DAC.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
less than ideal environment for the S40s but i make do.. still sounds pretty good to me!

Very nice maybe some small speaker stands just something under them . What are you powering with...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
Very nice maybe some small speaker stands just something under them . What are you powering with...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes i think ill soon add some isoacoustic pucks underneath or their short stand

i need an all in one due to space, i plan to get the new lyngdorf TDAI-1120 but currently using a bluesound powernode 2i as a stop gap

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
koven: Nice looking setup! I had the S40 (twice) very nice speaker.... Right now I am comparing a buddies pair of Elac Vela 403 to the Contours, very good speaker for the money! Not sure what they did with these speakers but they nailed it, its very good.. My Dyn's of choice are the Confidence C2 Platinums and Contour 20's.. The Elac's are much better than the KEF LS50s, kind of wish I had the S40 to compare, very similar in size. Shocked at the bass response and over all presentation, now we will see if I get listeners fatigue with these as with some ribbons other than Maggies I tend to get some listeners fatigue, never get them with Dyns, and never have. I run the Node 2i as well, but run it through my Dac, but primarily I am using "Audirvana Software" via a PC on my network with their App running on my phone or a tablet with great results instead of buying a separate streamer.

Attachments

Reactions: GTaudiophile

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Yeah I am talking about comparing a really good, fairly high end DAC like the PS Audio DirectStream to a turntable setup. The PS Audio is very analog sounding. But in order to match it with a turntable setup within the scope you mentioned above plus detail, spacial cues, and the other audiophile atributes we look for, it is going to cost quite a bit more then the price of the $6K DAC.
You also need a source to feed your 6K DAC, and at this level of gear, I would not use a 500 dollar source. Maybe an Auralic G2 would be a nicely balanced system, but then you are getting up there around the price of my RP10 with phonostage...would be a nice shootout.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwil3snI7oTqAhXBQjABHQMpAPQQFjABegQIAhAB&url=https://upscaleaudio.com/products/auralic-aries-g2-streamer-music-server&usg=AOvVaw1jv7TfPa-sJ8ETiQjgszsu

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Well I have a good digital and Vinyl setup, but since I am just getting back into Vinyl it is hard for me to know the quality of the few records I have bought. I may splurge and buy a few known “audiophile” pressings from Discogs or somewhere similar, just so I know what a known great recorded album can, or should sound like on my new TT. I am all ears for recommendations from the Vinyl guys, you know, that one or two albums that set the bar really high.😲
What kind of music do you like? Depending on answer I might be able to recommend some music that has been mastered and pressed well. FWIW: I'm not one who buys music to see what my system sounds like. I buy records to get maximum enjoyment of the music. The point of my system is to reveal as much of it as possible. IOW: I'm not into the audiophile orgasma recordings, but if there's music I like and I can get a great mastering/pressing of it that makes me happy. If you know what I mean.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
What kind of music do you like? Depending on answer I might be able to recommend some music that has been mastered and pressed well. FWIW: I'm not one who buys music to see what my system sounds like. I buy records to get maximum enjoyment of the music. The point of my system is to reveal as much of it as possible. IOW: I'm not into the audiophile orgasma recordings, but if there's music I like and I can get a great mastering/pressing of it that makes me happy. If you know what I mean.
Rock, classic rock, blues, and lately I have been listening to a lot of jazz, and a little classical. When I had my NDS I listened to a lot of the Radio Paradise channels, there was a nice mix of music there, I really enjoyed the eclectic mix.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Rock, classic rock, blues, and lately I have been listening to a lot of jazz, and a little classical. When I had my NDS I listened to a lot of the Radio Paradise channels, there was a nice mix of music there, I really enjoyed the eclectic mix.
For classical, go to Elusive Disc and search Analogphonic. If you see something you like, this is a German outfit that remasters classical titles from the original analog tapes. They do an outstanding job. Everything is first rate. If you see a title you like try it.

For some jazz check out the Tone Poet reissues from Blue Note. They are very reasonably priced, discounted at Amazon and mastered by Kevin Gray, one of the best in the business.

For some classic rock, if you like Dire Straits, check out the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs (MoFi) 45 RPM resissues of their first three albums. They are just truely amazing!!! I like the music, and the job they did remastering them is just magical. Other MoFi reissues of classic rock and jazz are great too. I have all the Miles Davis they did, which sound awesome.

Otherwise, go to Acoustic Sounds and search on Speakers Corner. That's a German company that remasters reissues of rock, jazz, classical,... everything, from original master tapes. They are first rate. I have a lot of their reissues of all genres, probably close to a 100 titles in my collection.

Anything remastered by Kevin Gray for any reissue label is likely a winner. He does everything (classical, blues, jazz, rock, you name it).

Acoustic Sounds is great for a lot of stuff. Their own remastering label – Analogue Productions – releases a lot of great stuff in all genres.

So pick the music you love and see if it has had a great reissue. If not, look for good quality originals. Those can sound great too. We have an original Deja Vu and Aqualung. Despite their flaws due to age and too many parties they sound great.

HTH

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Thanks RT, lots of homework to do then. My problem is that I do not own a credit card, haven’t since 2007 when I lost everything, so I either have to try and get one, get a friend to order for me, or see if any local shops can order what I want, without raping me too badly .:D

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Thanks RT, lots of homework to do then. My problem is that I do not own a credit card, haven’t since 2007 when I lost everything, so I either have to try and get one, get a friend to order for me, or see if any local shops can order what I want, without raping me too badly .:D
Can you load up a Paypal account? I know Acoustic Sounds takes it, and pretty sure the others do as well.

I'll bet I've spent about $15k at Acoustic Sounds in the past 10 years. I should ask them sometime.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Can you load up a Paypal account? I know Acoustic Sounds takes it, and pretty sure the others do as well.

I'll bet I've spent about $15k at Acoustic Sounds in the past 10 years. I should ask them sometime.
I tried that a few years back when I wanted a Tidal subscription, I even had a friend help me who is better on computers than me. No luck, kept hitting roadblocks, so I gave up, and my friend put it in his name for a year. That is why I steer clear of buying anything online, always feel like I hit roadblocks, and do not really trust anything online that has my banking info, kind of old school I guess.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I tried that a few years back when I wanted a Tidal subscription, I even had a friend help me who is better on computers than me. No luck, kept hitting roadblocks, so I gave up, and my friend put it in his name for a year. That is why I steer clear of buying anything online, always feel like I hit roadblocks, and do not really trust anything online that has my banking info, kind of old school I guess.
OK, I have no suggestions for you otherwise. I do online transactions all the time, but I do take measures to protect myself. I haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Reactions: Garman
47141 - 47160 of 47716 Posts