AVS Forum banner

47161 - 47180 of 47716 Posts

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Is this the same guy who glued the stands to his Special25 speakers? If not, these are priced the same as the Special40 (now)...and sound even better I think.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa34a2-dynaudio-special-twenty-five-bookshelf-speakers-25s-maple-pair-w-stands-25878-monitors

Not affiliated with seller.
GT, different speakers.... Other guy was in California and had birds eye maple, defiantly different version... I am wondering what they might take for just the speakers... Don't need the stands. ;)

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Is this the same guy who glued the stands to his Special25 speakers? If not, these are priced the same as the Special40 (now)...and sound even better I think.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa34a2-dynaudio-special-twenty-five-bookshelf-speakers-25s-maple-pair-w-stands-25878-monitors

I bought my second REL R-328 sub from this seller in 2018. They were fine. I would deal with them again. They were negotiable on price, shipped promptly, and the sub looked immaculate.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
GT: Good find, I would be all over those on the newer released version that used the darker wood.... Maple just doesn't go with anything in my new home.... :) I did inquire about them......

Ironically I might jump off the Dyn wagon for a bit, as my buddy wants to sell me his Elac Vela 403 at a very good price, and they are remarkably good...... Just tad brighter than the Contour 20's, easy to listen to, and tremendous bass response for a speaker about the same size as the Special 40's..

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
no quarter: Well these Elac Vela monitors are pretty amazing, they retail for $2500... Hard to say if they are better than the Special 40's as I don't have them side by side, so hard to make the comparison, but for under 3K speaker they are absolutely well balanced and very pleasant to listen too.. My buddy is getting the floor standers so I might buy them at a big discount. I have plenty of speakers laying around for a different flavor, don't need to look for the holy grail of speakers as my C2 get there! I am just having fun listening to music again and I have always had a soft spot for a good monitor! I have to say the two best purchases over the last few months have been the Aqua Dac and the Ansuz C2 power distribution unit... Never thought some thing could actual make my system dead quite, use to getting ground loop hiss or a slight hiss from the use of a Tube Dac or the Tube Preamp and now dead calm and silence... Thankfully I am a frugal shopper and found it for a steal, but between the Ansuz Main8 C2 the Aqua Dac I am in Audionirvana!

Just curious if anyone is either using Tidal or Quboz? I like having one or the other but don't like to pay monthly, Quboz has it so you can do a year and get HiRez and you also get a huge discount on downloads you want to buy.... Don't really like renting music, prefer owning it...

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Garman, I was not aware that you now use the Ansuz power, I thought just a few of Tyler’s clients were using them....George, JNelson, and maybe Matrixman18. Quobuz is not available in Canada, and I only tried Tidal for that one year, never renewed it. I have over 2.000 albums on my Core, and a bunch of DSD discs for my Teac PD 501, and now Vinyl is my focus. Like you, I would rather own than rent music.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Garman, I was not aware that you now use the Ansuz power, I thought just a few of Tyler’s clients were using them....George, JNelson, and maybe Matrixman18. Quobuz is not available in Canada, and I only tried Tidal for that one year, never renewed it. I have over 2.000 albums on my Core, and a bunch of DSD discs for my Teac PD 501, and now Vinyl is my focus. Like you, I would rather own than rent music.
no quarter: I have a dedicated circuit on the Music/Home Theater room, I always had some minor hiss coming through my tweeters, nothing huge but decided to try this Ansuz power, for the money they original go for, I wouldn't do it for minor problems but got it at a steal so decided to try it, and it made some marginal improvements, and didn't break the bank. I am with you on owning, not renting... Quboz has a subscription you pay more for, but your able to download "own" the music you like at a fraction of the cost, so I might renew for that feature alone.. However I do like Tidal interface better... Right now I using Audirvana software on my computer and it lumps everything into a huge data base, and I am able to stream over Ethernet HiRez files via this way, works out great and sounds very good.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts

GT, different speakers.... Other guy was in California and had birds eye maple, defiantly different version... I am wondering what they might take for just the speakers... Don't need the stands. /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
See if he'll take $2500 for them? I'd be all over them if it were not for Covid. Job security isn't what it was a few months ago.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Thanks RT, lots of homework to do then. My problem is that I do not own a credit card, haven’t since 2007 when I lost everything, so I either have to try and get one, get a friend to order for me, or see if any local shops can order what I want, without raping me too badly .:D
You can use PayPal with a bank account, or you can also go to your bank and get a secured CC or a pre-loaded CC. You can also just go to most chains such as Target, Meijer etc... and get Visa or Mastercard gift cards.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

These are a different finish than the ones on ebay, plus those were a really low serial number (3 or 4 digit). I seriously thought about getting them and having someone I know in the area go pick them up and ship them to me. But I figured I'd wait... Does it look to anyone else like the tweeters have dimples/creases or is it just the flash? I messaged them, so we'll see.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don’t be afraid of used gear, audiogon.com and USaudiomart.com have always had reputable sellers.
Naim, Hegel, Simaudio, NAD, Arcam, Creek, Exposure, and rogue may be good places to start.
Schiit could work too.
Thank you callas01 for your reply ;)
These are some of my preferences but unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to listen to these combinations with the Dynaudio Emit M10

Cambridge AXR 100

• Musical Fidelity
M2si

• Rega Brio 2017

• Arcam FMJ A19

• Arcam SA10

• Cyrus One

• Marantz PM7000N

• Rega Elex-R

• Naim Nait 5si

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yall want to go all the way off topic to headphones? I have been using my trusty AT50X for several year and I would classify them as "good enough" but I have been bitten by the upgrade bug lately. It is a whole new world out there for headphone brands: Hifiman, Audeze, dan Clark, etc these werent really on my radar a half decade or so ago. I keep coming to reviews that sudgest these newer sub 1k planar headphones can be of dubious build quality. I really only like to spend money on things that last so I have been tempted to get some of the nicer Sennheisers or Beyerdynamics. They seem well engineered and at least I know support will be around for a while.

Part of me wants to splurge for the HD800s but I wonder if wearing 1500$ headphones will take the joy out of them for me, like falling asleep with them on the couch or taking them on a road trip. May just do something from the 600 series. Anyways what is everyone using here?

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Headphones are such a big, meh, for me. I've owned and listened to a bunch from a couple hundred dollars to $4K. Just can't really get into any of them. The HD800s were the ones I could actually sort of get into because their soundstage is pretty big and sound the most like speakers. For a more personal listening experience, I much prefer my nearfield desktop speaker setup.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Headphones are such a big, meh, for me. I've owned and listened to a bunch from a couple hundred dollars to $4K. Just can't really get into any of them. The HD800s were the ones I could actually sort of get into because their soundstage is pretty big and sound the most like speakers. For a more personal listening experience, I much prefer my nearfield desktop speaker setup.
I haven't tried any headphones in decades, but I feel no compelling reason to either. On the nights my wife goes to bed early for work the next day, I can listen to music at low volume thru my C2s and it sounds very good.It's all moot anyway since I don't have a headphone amp for my main system. Other than that I really don't want to spend more money on my system, except maybe for a SuperCap for my phonostage.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I generally prefer speakers to headphones as well, but they have a place in my life. Like when blasting wu tang or watching foul mouthed comedians when my young children are around. That is why I have been happy with the relatively pedestrian AT50x for so long, but I do use them enough to consider something better. Not sure I can justify a 1500$ pair or would jump on the hd800s.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Yall want to go all the way off topic to headphones? I have been using my trusty AT50X for several year and I would classify them as "good enough" but I have been bitten by the upgrade bug lately. It is a whole new world out there for headphone brands: Hifiman, Audeze, dan Clark, etc these werent really on my radar a half decade or so ago. I keep coming to reviews that sudgest these newer sub 1k planar headphones can be of dubious build quality. I really only like to spend money on things that last so I have been tempted to get some of the nicer Sennheisers or Beyerdynamics. They seem well engineered and at least I know support will be around for a while.

Part of me wants to splurge for the HD800s but I wonder if wearing 1500$ headphones will take the joy out of them for me, like falling asleep with them on the couch or taking them on a road trip. May just do something from the 600 series. Anyways what is everyone using here?

That is one heck of a rabbit hole. Lots of better sites for that topic, too. Reddit, Head-fi.org, headphones.com, superbestaudiofriends.org, etc.

I do wish Dynaudio made some headphones...

Headphones are just like speakers...or even running shoes...you got to try them out. Everything from closed to open, the quality of the headband, the earcups and how they feel...so many variables in addition to sound. On Head-fi.org, you can find out if your region or area has meet-ups, which we regularly use to have in the DC metro area, pre-covid.

The best HP setup I have heard was Focal Utopia+Chord Dave+Chord M-Scaler with custom cables, etc. Easily a $15k setup. Way out of my league!

Right now, I am happy with my Sennheiser Massdrop HD 58X Jubilee headphones from drop.com. Be sure to check them out! People also swear by the Sennheiser Massdrop HD 6XX. Each of these costs around $120-180. I am using mine with a Schitt Fulla3. Great setup for under $250.

Reactions: yonson and aschen

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

I have the Drop HD6XX's and HE4XX's (I use these every day with a Antlion mic attachment run off a Schiit HEL) and I've been quite happy with them. I still use my ATH-M50x's for flying though...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I generally prefer speakers to headphones as well, but they have a place in my life. Like when blasting wu tang or watching foul mouthed comedians when my young children are around. That is why I have been happy with the relatively pedestrian AT50x for so long, but I do use them enough to consider something better. Not sure I can justify a 1500$ pair or would jump on the hd800s.
Open back headphones aren't going to help you there...

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yeah the mass drop variants are tempting, but I have heard it takes forever to get the 6xxs. It also bugs me the 6xx are so much cheaper than the sennheiser variants when they are so similar. Makes me feel like I am overpaying for the hd660s (which are also back-ordered everywhere).

Definitely intrigued by Hifiman including those Massdrop versions. The Sundara is apparently amazing, but the internet is littered with people complaining of hifiman stuff falling apart and failing. I am really philosophically against disposable technology, but it may be internet confirmation bias.

I should also say that I have had Etymotic er4s for 15+ years, high end earbuds before they were really a thing. The clarity and detail is above any conventional audio system since the noise floor is 30dB lower than a stereo or normal head phones. Can't say I find them particularly enjoyable for casual listening however.

47161 - 47180 of 47716 Posts