AVS Forum banner

47181 - 47200 of 47724 Posts

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Thank you callas01 for your reply ;)
These are some of my preferences but unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to listen to these combinations with the Dynaudio Emit M10
Kevinhifi, callas01 gave you a good list, and I have had some on that list and I would highly recommend this unit as well and now one of my favorite Int. Amps. I have zero issues driving my Confidence Platinum C2's with ease and it even drives my Maggies 1.7i.. Very good and well built Int. Amp by David Belles... Called the Aria Int. Amp. List is $2295.00, but the last list on here is a store demo, worth every penny even at it's list price. Good luck....

http://www.powermodules.com/products/aria-integrated.html

https://www.hifichoice.com/content/belles-aria

https://www.audioconnect.com/product/belles-aria-preamplifier/

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yeah the mass drop variants are tempting, but I have heard it takes forever to get the 6xxs. It also bugs me the 6xx are so much cheaper than the sennheiser variants when they are so similar. Makes me feel like I am overpaying for the hd660s (which are also back-ordered everywhere).

Definitely intrigued by Hifiman including those Massdrop versions. The Sundara is apparently amazing, but the internet is littered with people complaining of hifiman stuff falling apart and failing. I am really philosophically against disposable technology, but it may be internet confirmation bias.

I should also say that I have had Etymotic er4s for 15+ years, high end earbuds before they were really a thing. The clarity and detail is above any conventional audio system since the noise floor is 30dB lower than a stereo or normal head phones. Can't say I find them particularly enjoyable for casual listening however.
They have a preorder for the current batch that's shipping on June 30th right now. Not too bad of a wait unless you want something in the next week...

·
Registered
647 Posts
They have a preorder for the current batch that's shipping on June 30th right now. Not too bad of a wait unless you want something in the next week...
Ok ive been a bit fuzzy on exactly how drop works. Some of the youtube reviews implied the wait was much longer, and maybe indeterminate.

Pulled the trigger and ordered them. We will see when they arrive I guess. If anything it will give me a taste for better open backs to see if I want to go more crazy in the future.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
no quarter: Well these Elac Vela monitors are pretty amazing, they retail for $2500... Hard to say if they are better than the Special 40's as I don't have them side by side, so hard to make the comparison, but for under 3K speaker they are absolutely well balanced and very pleasant to listen too.. My buddy is getting the floor standers so I might buy them at a big discount. I have plenty of speakers laying around for a different flavor, don't need to look for the holy grail of speakers as my C2 get there! I am just having fun listening to music again and I have always had a soft spot for a good monitor! I have to say the two best purchases over the last few months have been the Aqua Dac and the Ansuz C2 power distribution unit... Never thought some thing could actual make my system dead quite, use to getting ground loop hiss or a slight hiss from the use of a Tube Dac or the Tube Preamp and now dead calm and silence... Thankfully I am a frugal shopper and found it for a steal, but between the Ansuz Main8 C2 the Aqua Dac I am in Audionirvana!

Just curious if anyone is either using Tidal or Quboz? I like having one or the other but don't like to pay monthly, Quboz has it so you can do a year and get HiRez and you also get a huge discount on downloads you want to buy.... Don't really like renting music, prefer owning it...
I almost finalized a deal on a used pair of those Vela 403’s to compare to my Special 40’s, just for fun. Didn’t work out unfortunately. How do you like them compared to your Contour 20’s?

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Brac: Overall very good, decent bass response, compared to the Contour 20's very good, the Contour 20s have more of a soft tone to them and better presentation overall. Previous generations of the Jet tweeters in the Elac line had a tad bit of a shrill to them, you don't get that with these. Bass is quick, Jet tweeters in the past gave me listening fatigue, especially on vocal presentations.. High frequency has a 3D image to them, hard to do without having a brightness, very airy sound, they scored in many ways with this speaker! The 403 mates very well with a good quality Amp/PreAmp with some decent power, imaging is to drool for. I was expecting bright but didn't get that , I didn't get anything like it, still shocked! Very good quality, I haven't done a more extensive comparison yet, I will do this week... I really liked the Walnut dark finish, but he is selling his back ones to get the 407 floor standers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
no quarter: Well these Elac Vela monitors are pretty amazing, they retail for $2500... Hard to say if they are better than the Special 40's as I don't have them side by side, so hard to make the comparison, but for under 3K speaker they are absolutely well balanced and very pleasant to listen too.. My buddy is getting the floor standers so I might buy them at a big discount. I have plenty of speakers laying around for a different flavor, don't need to look for the holy grail of speakers as my C2 get there! I am just having fun listening to music again and I have always had a soft spot for a good monitor! I have to say the two best purchases over the last few months have been the Aqua Dac and the Ansuz C2 power distribution unit... Never thought some thing could actual make my system dead quite, use to getting ground loop hiss or a slight hiss from the use of a Tube Dac or the Tube Preamp and now dead calm and silence... Thankfully I am a frugal shopper and found it for a steal, but between the Ansuz Main8 C2 the Aqua Dac I am in Audionirvana!

Just curious if anyone is either using Tidal or Quboz? I like having one or the other but don't like to pay monthly, Quboz has it so you can do a year and get HiRez and you also get a huge discount on downloads you want to buy.... Don't really like renting music, prefer owning it...

Yes Garman--Quboz is fantastic! A great library, fast, and a lot of hi-rez stuff. Using Audirvana with a Macbook pro, and now they have a Window's version as well, comes with a nice IOS app. I only buy records now.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Yes Garman--Quboz is fantastic! A great library, fast, and a lot of hi-rez stuff. Using Audirvana with a Macbook pro, and now they have a Window's version as well, comes with a nice IOS app. I only buy records now.
I'm also a fan of Qobuz. I use it with Roon. I built a NUC8i7 running Roon ROCK, integrated with Qobuz and my existing digital music files on a 1TB SSD. I never buy digital music anymore, just records. Qobuz sounds great, and the hires service is just $15/mon.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Suboctave: I am with you on Audirvana, very nice... I had Quboz the Sublime version, which I liked as you can purchase HiRez music at a very reduced rate! No need for records for me anymore, as I went through that phase. ;) Much easier to manage now, as I don't have the storage as I once did, a couple of palm sized HD drives of 4-8 Terabytes works very well.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Much easier to manage now, as I don't have the storage as I once did, a couple of palm sized HD drives of 4-8 Terabytes works very well.
Lol, you no longer collect records because of storage, but you collect speakers...last count was four pairs in your listening room, so much for downsizing :D

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Lol, you no longer collect records because of storage, but you collect speakers...last count was four pairs in your listening room, so much for downsizing :D
Well, one pair isn't mine... LOL! ;) You should talk your usually getting more equipment every other week! :D remember I just sold off about 10 items... only picked up the Dac.. Still debating if I keep the Sony HAP unit or sell it... 3 speakers, zero Albums.... ;) I try to stay out of dealers these days, otherwise it might look like Christmas weekly. Done with Equipment, I am sure I will phase out some speakers as well, sooner than later...

Reactions: no quarter

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Well, one pair isn't mine... LOL! ;) You should talk your usually getting more equipment every other week! :D remember I just sold off about 10 items... only picked up the Dac.. Still debating if I keep the Sony HAP unit or sell it... 3 speakers, zero Albums.... ;) I try to stay out of dealers these days, otherwise it might look like Christmas weekly. Done with Equipment, I am sure I will phase out some speakers as well, sooner than later...
I am content where I am at, everything I own is paid for, so buying records is all I will be buying for a while. Came in to work tonight and they told us no more overtime for a while, a lot of our work is on hold. I can’t imagine what people are doing that lost their jobs, Audio is the least of their problems. Buying new records is even on hold for me now, until things pick up.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
no quarter: With you... My company is being purchased by July 2nd or the 9th... No idea if I will be retained or not, I have about a years salary saved up... Only thing I have boughten since the pandemic/riots, is the Aqua Dac and KEF LSX speakers, sold 2 Int. Amps, 1 Amp, 2 Dacs and 3 speakers and misc items "Bluetooth" speakers... Paid for the Dac and speakers and made some money. I still sell stuff on the side and have ever since "Audiogon" and this place existed. I had 4th Interview with biotech company today and I have a different interview next week with another company... Trying to stay ahead of the game, I mean let's get through the pandemic and then some of our lovely governors are being completely moronic and letting things go to hell, this doesn't help matters.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yall want to go all the way off topic to headphones? I have been using my trusty AT50X for several year and I would classify them as "good enough" but I have been bitten by the upgrade bug lately. It is a whole new world out there for headphone brands: Hifiman, Audeze, dan Clark, etc these werent really on my radar a half decade or so ago. I keep coming to reviews that sudgest these newer sub 1k planar headphones can be of dubious build quality. I really only like to spend money on things that last so I have been tempted to get some of the nicer Sennheisers or Beyerdynamics. They seem well engineered and at least I know support will be around for a while.

Part of me wants to splurge for the HD800s but I wonder if wearing 1500$ headphones will take the joy out of them for me, like falling asleep with them on the couch or taking them on a road trip. May just do something from the 600 series. Anyways what is everyone using here?
Bit late to the party but thought I'd chime in. I've been using Sennheiser HD800 for a few years and can highly recommend them. Before that I had HD600 and HD 650. The 800's are a very neutral, clean headphone. In the studio they really are useful for checking a mix for issues as they allow you to pick apart a mix like almost nothing else. They might actually be too clean for some who want a more romantic sound, in which case Grado's, Audeze etc will get you a more coloured sound. But yeah, thumbs up on Senny's here.

As for Dynaudio doing 'phones; there are so many killer 'phones out there that I don't see what exactly they could do to differentiate their product? Just doesn't seem likely to me.

Reactions: Akp2123 and aschen

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Don’️t be afraid of used gear, audiogon.com and USaudiomart.com have always had reputable sellers.
Naim, Hegel, Simaudio, NAD, Arcam, Creek, Exposure, and rogue may be good places to start.
Schiit could work too.
Thank you callas01 for your reply /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
These are some of my preferences but unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to listen to these combinations with the Dynaudio Emit M10

• Cambridge AXR 100

• Musical Fidelity
M2si

• Rega Brio 2017

• Arcam FMJ A19

• Arcam SA10

• Cyrus One

• Marantz PM7000N

• Rega Elex-R

• Naim Nait 5si
So I would put these 3 on that list on the short list

Naim Nait 5si
Rega Elex-R
Cyrus One

I auditioned the 5i vs the MF Mi3 and Rega Brio, and the 5i was much better overall, to me.
Cyrus gets lots of love in Europe, haven’t personally heard it, but I do see people on Facebook pairing Dyns with that brand amp. Rega Elex should do more then the Brio did, which was good, but didn’t make me want to choose the Brio over the Nait.

Low-end marantz hifi fear sounds like their receivers and I wouldn’t use them for HIFI. I heard Cambridge with Focal speakers, I enjoyed the music but never heard them with Dyns, but some people on FB use the 2 and seem happy. I owned the Arcam dac but didn’t love it, haven’t had interest in Arcam since.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Eh. The HD6XX have masses of fans but extensively compared it with the HD58X and bought the latter. I'm not the only one. The HD58X is also easier to drive. The HD6XX needs a bit more amplification to shine.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I use Sennheiser Momentums, I just do not use headphones enough to bother upgrading at this time, maybe some day I will see what’s out there. Prices for TOTL cans is skyrocketing, which scares me away.

·
Registered
246 Posts
GT: Good find, I would be all over those on the newer released version that used the darker wood.... Maple just doesn't go with anything in my new home.... :) I did inquire about them......

Ironically I might jump off the Dyn wagon for a bit, as my buddy wants to sell me his Elac Vela 403 at a very good price, and they are remarkably good...... Just tad brighter than the Contour 20's, easy to listen to, and tremendous bass response for a speaker about the same size as the Special 40's..

I'd take the Special 40 or Contour 20 over the Special 25 any day of the week. What made the Special 25 "special" 18 years ago has been well surpassed. I never felt the symmetry between the drivers in the Special 25 was great either. I never felt like the tweeter and woofer totally blended together when listening. They are good speakers and have a certain natural magic in the midrange, but nostalgia and what they once were doesn't make them better than the best stuff from Dynaudio today.

In addition, they've been selling in the $2,500-$3,000 range for the past almost 10 years so the current offerings on the market aren't great deals anyway.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Ok ive been a bit fuzzy on exactly how drop works. Some of the youtube reviews implied the wait was much longer, and maybe indeterminate.

Pulled the trigger and ordered them. We will see when they arrive I guess. If anything it will give me a taste for better open backs to see if I want to go more crazy in the future.
I bought both of mine while they were in stock, they took less thank a week to arrive.

Has anyone else been experiencing the forum running REALLY slow the last few days?

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
I'd take the Special 40 or Contour 20 over the Special 25 any day of the week. What made the Special 25 "special" 18 years ago has been well surpassed. I never felt the symmetry between the drivers in the Special 25 was great either. I never felt like the tweeter and woofer totally blended together when listening. They are good speakers and have a certain natural magic in the midrange, but nostalgia and what they once were doesn't make them better than the best stuff from Dynaudio today.

In addition, they've been selling in the $2,500-$3,000 range for the past almost 10 years so the current offerings on the market aren't great deals anyway.
You bring up some valid points.. I happen to own a pair of Special 25 years ago, and C1s and decided to keep the C1 because of room and size of the room, the Special 25 were pretty remarkable, not everything new happens to be better than of old, only really way to tell is compare them and the only people that have that ability, is to own a pair...... I have already seen new Confidence 20 pop up for sale 3 times in the US from people who ended up not liking them compared to older models and other speakers. Its very rare to see ones come up for sale, occasionally they pop up, but I just don't have the time to be comparing speakers all the time anymore... The Special 40 and Contour 20, are very well done, not sure what the new (i) models will bring, sound like some minor tweaks.

FYI: From Audiogon:

This is on consignment with us and at the moment the consignee would accept $2900 + shipping for the set. These do not come with original boxes but will be very carefully packaged up by our expert shipping team.
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Speaking of the 'gon that seller got back to me about those S25's with this reply:

This is simply an artifact of our flash photography. The tweeters aren't dimpled in any way.

47181 - 47200 of 47724 Posts