AVS Forum banner

47201 - 47220 of 47739 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have already seen new Confidence 20 pop up for sale 3 times in the US from people who ended up not liking them compared to older models and other speakers. ,
Remember when C1’s came out, same thing happened, people sold them not getting along with them.
After that they became reference monitor in their pricerange for about 12 years? and in some ways still hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Remember when C1’s came out, same thing happened, people sold them not getting along with them.
After that they became reference monitor in their pricerange for about 12 years? and in some ways still hard to beat.
I wonder if people are selling them before they are even completely broken in? I know I was ready to get rid of my F340's about 200 hours in because they still didn't have any bass compared to my F260's.

·
Registered
247 Posts
not everything new happens to be better than of old
That's true. However, the Special 40 and Contour 20 are better than the Special 25 not because they are new. They are just better speakers.

I have already seen new Confidence 20 pop up for sale 3 times in the US from people who ended up not liking them compared to older models and other speakers.
Can you link to the speakers for sale you are referring to? I've also seen three sets for sale, and only one seller (JAXWIRED), claimed he didn't totally like the new sound. As we all know, he doesn't keep anything long, and has had numerous other speakers since the new Confidence as well.

1st for sale ad - Jaxwireds pair.

2nd for sale ad - TMR's pair which I'd bet were Jaxwireds pair being resold. This is an online reseller/flipper who clearly isn't selling them off because they didn't like them.

3rd for sale ad - Some guy on Audiogon who also didn't say he didn't like the new sound in his ad.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
That's true. However, the Special 40 and Contour 20 are better than the Special 25 not because they are new. They are just better speakers.
Can you link to the speakers for sale you are referring to? I've also seen three sets for sale, and only one seller (JAXWIRED), claimed he didn't totally like the new sound. As we all know, he doesn't keep anything long, and has had numerous other speakers since the new Confidence as well.

1st for sale ad - Jaxwireds pair.
2nd for sale ad - TMR's pair which I'd bet were Jaxwireds pair being resold. This is an online reseller/flipper who clearly isn't selling them off because they didn't like them.
3rd for sale ad - Some guy on Audiogon who also didn't say he didn't like the new sound in his ad.

1.) Jaxwireds pair - Correct, said he didn't care for the sound as much.. many other brands to choose from...
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649621291-dynaudio-confidence-20/

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Yet, you drive a late model car. Actions speak louder than words.
I owned a 68 mustang, and a 67 Camaro many years ago. Even when I owned them, I also had a newer vehicle for a daily driver...does not mean I like it better. In Canada, you do not drive a 1963 Impala all winter, if you want to keep it in the condition of the one in the link.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I wonder if people are selling them before they are even completely broken in? I know I was ready to get rid of my F340's about 200 hours in because they still didn't have any bass compared to my F260's.

Yup, I wondered the same thing. In the early years of the last generation Confidence, C1s and C2s would routinely come up on Agon with very low hours, and there was talk on various forums about them being too lean.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Yup, I wondered the same thing. In the early years of the last generation Confidence, C1s and C2s would routinely come up on Agon with very low hours, and there was talk on various forums about them being too lean.
It took 500-600 hours for my C2 Platinum to fully mature and start to sing.

I can understand people thinking they are too lean. They aren't giving them the amplification they deserve. The C2s sounded great with my Naim 250DR, but was at times maybe a little bit anemic. The Naim 300DR changed everything. They are most certainly not lean or anemic. They have great bass, mid, treble, punch,….everything. They have plenty of slam when I throw a big Mahler symphony at them, and yet they have all the tenderness and delicacy needed when I play Renaissance Lute music or jazz acoustic guitar, etc.

I cannot emphasize enough that C2s need lots of juice and giving them that completely changes their character for the better. It's as if I had different speakers between the 250 and 300 amps. The 250 version sounded great and was very satisfying and I was not unhappy, but it's a different animal with the 300. It took hearing that to realize what they are capable of. My dealer was by recently to deliver a TV, and we played a couple things. He remarked that he liked my C2s better than the Cf30s in the store.

Reactions: yonson and Garman

·
Registered
647 Posts
Audiophiles are a fickle crew not sure Id read too much into the statistics of what comes up for sale

Even supermodels have somebody sick of their (*$& :)

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
RaceTripper: I have heard boat loads of different speakers from Dynaudio and other manufactures, most of them in my own home and I alway seem to gravitate back to Dynaudio, even if I try some else.. I have different speakers throughout my house I use several other manufactures, the C2's and the Maggies along with the C1 and Special 25 I use to own years ago, they all need good amplifications to real make them shine.. Like the Finish on the ones on Ebay, I thought the Special 25s were very well made speaker and they stood behind them with a very long warranty... Not that matters anymore, my question is can you still get parts for them if something where to go wrong... The finish is like a work of art on the Birch pair....

RedMC: If the room is gigantic and not the right Amplification they could be too lean... Never heard that term used very much, now on the 2.8 Contour that was lean.... Bass response was off on those.

Update: Just purchased the pair of Special 25s off of ebay, got them below his asking price! He got them off of the stands sent update pics and they look perfect, I might ask for stands as well... Way too good of a price to pass up! I can compare and just keep whatever pair I feel is a better fit for my room. It's not very often I have the opportunity to do this, but I have gotten lucky over the last couple of months, and some times luck is a good thing... Now the issue is getting them here safely, and having them professional packed... call me an opportunist I guess, I can always turn them around.. First time I have seen 2 pairs on ebay in many years...

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
RaceTripper: I have heard boat loads of different speakers from Dynaudio and other manufactures, most of them in my own home and I alway seem to gravitate back to Dynaudio, even if I try some else.. I have different speakers throughout my house I use several other manufactures, the C2's and the Maggies along with the C1 and Special 25 I use to own years ago, they all need good amplifications to real make them shine.. Like the Finish on the ones on Ebay, I thought the Special 25s were very well made speaker and they stood behind them with a very long warranty... Not that matters anymore, my question is can you still get parts for them if something where to go wrong... The finish is like a work of art on the Birch pair....

RedMC: If the room is gigantic and not the right Amplification they could be too lean... Never heard that term used very much, now on the 2.8 Contour that was lean.... Bass response was off on those.

Update: Just purchased the pair of Special 25s off of ebay, got them below his asking price! He got them off of the stands sent update pics and they look perfect, I might ask for stands as well... Way too good of a price to pass up! I can compare and just keep whatever pair I feel is a better fit for my room, not very often I could do this, but I have gotten lucky over the last couple of months, and some times luck is a good thing... Now the issue is getting them here safely, and having them professional packed... call me an opportunist I guess, I can always turn them around.. First time I have seen 2 pairs on ebay in many years...
Awesome. Congrats. Do you have a link to the eBay sale?

·
Registered
7,718 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts

Update: Just purchased the pair of Special 25s off of ebay, got them below his asking price! He got them off of the stands sent update pics and they look perfect, I might ask for stands as well... Way too good of a price to pass up! I can compare and just keep whatever pair I feel is a better fit for my room. It's not very often I have the opportunity to do this, but I have gotten lucky over the last couple of months, and some times luck is a good thing... Now the issue is getting them here safely, and having them professional packed... call me an opportunist I guess, I can always turn them around.. First time I have seen 2 pairs on ebay in many years...

Congratulations! I am really looking forward to your impressions since you can compare to the newer models.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Nice. I really like that finish. Is this the "attaches stands" version from Oregon or the one in A-gon?

I wish I had $2500 to blow 🙂 looking forward to your comparison versus Contour 20.
Not too often I can burn $2500, but I will be getting rid of a few pairs that's for sure and that will more than make of the difference... Just got off the phone with the guy and he is shipping the stands as well. Stand 4 in Gray finish.

Suboctave: Well I am at work from home till end of July and will be hopefully working with a new company soon, so will have plenty of time to compare.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts

Congrats on the S25s. Someday I may look for a pair in Birds Eye Maple to replace my Audience 52SE if I can find them and get away with making the purchase.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Congrats on the S25s. Someday I may look for a pair in Birds Eye Maple to replace my Audience 52SE if I can find them and get away with making the purchase.
My old place I did not have the right room for them, nor the C4's.. This room is more open and acoustically treated, which I am not done with.. I still have a few items I need to sell off (mostly equipment) and then I will narrow it down my speaker list to a pair of Floor standers a pair of monitors. In my old House I use to sell used Dyns and new out of my house due to guys business going under, which afforded me the luxury to test many different brands out. I always came back to these, I guess my hobby now is no different than collecting cars, guns, etc.. ;) I always tell my wife I could spend it down at the local bar drinking it away... ;) One last speaker hurrah before I compare and clean out... Ironically I talked to the seller for about 30 min, and he is a installer out of work right now and was selling these for a guy he did an install for, said he barely used them... We will see, if that holds true...

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
My old place I did not have the right room for them, nor the C4's.. This room is more open and acoustically treated, which I am not done with.. I still have a few items I have to sell off equipment and then I will narrow it down my speaker list to a pair of Floor standers a pair of monitors. In my old place I use to sell Dyn's out of my home because the company I worked at part time had to close shop because of a death in the family and since then I have sold gear on and off just to feed my hobby. No different than collecting cars, guns, etc I guess.. I always tell my wife I could spend it down at the local bar drinking it away... ;) One last speaker hurrah before I compare and clean out... Ironically I talked to the seller for about 30 min, and he is a installer out of work right now and was selling these for a guy he did an install for, said he barely used them... We will see, if that holds true...
I just haven't collected speakers over the years. The Audience 72/62/122C I have for the home theater are the same I bought nearly 20 years ago. The Audience 52SE I bought a few years later to make my HT 7.1, but were removed again and located to my home office. As for my main two-channel vinyl/digital system I have gone from Contour S1.4 (early 2011) to S3.4 (2013) to Confidence C2 (late 2018) over the course of nearly 10 years. I've been happy with it all and continue to enjoy what I have. I just think the Birds Eye Maple Special 25 are really special and would like to own a pair. They would replace the Audience 52SE and be used with the Atom, even if it's not really enough power to make them shine. I give it about 20% chance that I'll ever get them, even if I see a pair for sale.

Once I retire in a couple/few years I will repurpose the Atom/Audience 52SE system from the home office. At that point I may get a small REL sub and think about whether to keep the 52SE or update them with something else.

Lately I've been thinking about buying a Naim Mu-so Qb2.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not too often I can burn $2500, but I will be getting rid of a few pairs that's for sure and that will more than make of the difference... Just got off the phone with the guy and he is shipping the stands as well. Stand 4 in Gray finish.

Suboctave: Well I am at work from home till end of July and will be hopefully working with a new company soon, so will have plenty of time to compare.

Good luck on the new company and I guess it will be nice to have some transition time. It has been stressful for everyone and music can really help these days to take our minds off the bad stuff.

47201 - 47220 of 47739 Posts