AVS Forum banner

47241 - 47260 of 47696 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
I freaking hate eBay. They side with a buyer no matter what. A buyer can basically return any product back for any reason and in any condition for up to 60 days and you still get hit with charge backs as soon as the tracking number shows delivered back to you. It's crazy because the person could literally return a turd in a box back to you and eBay doesn't care. I now only use to eBay to sell $100 or so items. Anything more and I am putting it up on Agon, craigslist, offerup, etc.
There's a bit of hyperbole here. For one, a buyer only has 30 days to file for a return through eBay. They can go through PayPal after that if they are aware, which has nothing to do with eBay. Also, eBay currently has nothing to do with payment processing. PayPal handles all chargebacks, and as a seller, you are protected against them through PayPal. PayPal fights chargebacks for you. It sounds like you are referring to a forced refund, but calling it a chargeback. If someone "returns a turd in a box" back to you, there is recourse to be reimbursed by eBay.

I do understand your frustrations though. eBay is getting harder to go to as a means to sell. Every new policy change seems to always benefit the buyers, and makes using the site harder on sellers. It's been going this route for 10+ years. That's what happens when you have basically no competition in the market.

yonson: The fees are ebay are like extortion... Even if your a buyer now you get hit with a tax on some items, even if they are used which is total BS. I now use US Audiomart mostly, as people are gravitating towards it because Audiogon fees have gone up.... At least they are not hitting them up with taxes... Ironically if you buy tee shirt or some other less expensive gear you don't see the taxes, but ebay will loose business because of this. Used items should be taxed, and our lovely government is now double dipping and some times triple dipping....
If you sell more than $500 or so a month, paying for an eBay store makes more sense. When you have a store, you only pay 6.15% to sell electronics.

eBay was doing everything they could to get people to send letters to their local Governor's before the legislation was passed. They made it easy to just electronically sign a document, and then it got sent to your state Governor. Believe me, they didn't want to be forced to charge sales tax. They are also making it easier on sellers by collecting sales tax and submitting it to the state it belongs to. Imagine, as a seller, if you sold items to all 50 states annually, and then had to file and submit sales tax to all 50 states separately.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I hate to be Mr. Optimistic here but I expect >50% of us in this forum to be either unemployed, lose our retirement, lose our healthcare, or all the above within 12 months.
The stock market has already recovered, so I doubt it. Smart people put their money in the market when it's down. Scared people stay broke. I'd say you are watching too much mainstream media and it's obscuring your view of the big picture. The money is still out there and people are spending it.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I hate to be Mr. Optimistic here but I expect >50% of us in this forum to be either unemployed, lose our retirement, lose our healthcare, or all the above within 12 months.

The 1930s will look really rosy and we'll be lucky to be talking about Dynaudio still being a solvent company within 24 months.

We're all on the roller coaster right now and we haven't even reached the apex of this global crisis; we're still going up hill. Stop and think: today/now might be the best you have it for the next 10 years and every day from today is downhill.
Oh, ye of little faith!;) I say participate in the economy, and get in the market now, before it goes back over 29,000! The surest way to make what you worry about happen would be for everybody to panic and stop spending any money.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
There's a bit of hyperbole here. For one, a buyer only has 30 days to file for a return through eBay. They can go through PayPal after that if they are aware, which has nothing to do with eBay. Also, eBay currently has nothing to do with payment processing. PayPal handles all chargebacks, and as a seller, you are protected against them through PayPal. PayPal fights chargebacks for you. It sounds like you are referring to a forced refund, but calling it a chargeback. If someone "returns a turd in a box" back to you, there is recourse to be reimbursed by eBay.

I do understand your frustrations though. eBay is getting harder to go to as a means to sell. Every new policy change seems to always benefit the buyers, and makes using the site harder on sellers. It's been going this route for 10+ years. That's what happens when you have basically no competition in the market.

If you sell more than $500 or so a month, paying for an eBay store makes more sense. When you have a store, you only pay 6.15% to sell electronics.

eBay was doing everything they could to get people to send letters to their local Governor's before the legislation was passed. They made it easy to just electronically sign a document, and then it got sent to your state Governor. Believe me, they didn't want to be forced to charge sales tax. They are also making it easier on sellers by collecting sales tax and submitting it to the state it belongs to. Imagine, as a seller, if you sold items to all 50 states annually, and then had to file and submit sales tax to all 50 states separately.
Thanks for the info, I sometimes I might do $500 a month.... Rarely, but trying to open a Ebay store would save money.. Audiogon was great at one point and still isn't nearly as bad as Ebay, I did sign a petition not to put taxes on used items via our State but that obviously failed.. I am with you on the stock market, I wish I would have bought gold back in 2016 it's on the rise again.

mtrot: I like both of your guys thinking..... I am having my best year ever, and I have 3 interviews with some decent companies. I could play the wait and see game, and see if I am retained due to a company buy out or go into hiding like some of my other employees, but I refused to take that course. We try to order out and I have been to a few outdoor restaurants and try to invest in my local economy, and I am meeting with my broker to try to find good stocks to buy at this time.

·
Registered
278 Posts

The 1930s will look really rosy and we'll be lucky to be talking about Dynaudio still being a solvent company within 24 months.

We're all on the roller coaster right now and we haven't even reached the apex of this global crisis; we're still going up hill. Stop and think: today/now might be the best you have it for the next 10 years and every day from today is downhill.
I wish I could say that you’re totally wrong but ... it’s sad to say I can’t. It’s some scary times right now and I feel many people in my life aren’t taking it and what’s going on around us seriously.

I genuinely hope in 12-24 months we all will still be able to and in the position to, be casually chatting and debating about Dynaudio speakers.. stay safe and stay alert everyone.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts

I wish I could say that you’re totally wrong but ... it’s sad to say I can’t. It’s some scary times right now and I feel many people in my life aren’t taking it and what’s going on around us seriously.

I genuinely hope in 12-24 months we all will still be able to and in the position to, be casually chatting and debating about Dynaudio speakers.. stay safe and stay alert everyone.
When wearing/not wearing a face mask becomes more about politics than science and public health then s society is truly sunk. The US is the laughing stock of the world right now and our trajectory is only more downward spiral. Yes, these are still the best of times compared to what's ahead.

Reactions: Bill_B4

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
When wearing/not wearing a face mask becomes more about politics than science and public health then s society is truly sunk. The US is the laughing stock of the world right now and our trajectory is only more downward spiral. Yes, these are still the best of times compared to what's ahead.
GT: I agree with you 100%! When politics take over Science we are all screwed.... I am in the Immunology/Hematology and Public Health Field, and letting "Peaceful Protests" riots and even large gatherings shouldn't be allowed for a while, Governors/Mayors who are telling business owners to stay closed and practice Social Distancing and Wear a Mask, not wear a mask and now wear a mask has everyone completely confused. Yet the same a s s (o)s let protests to happen and riots etc. is beyond disbelief for most of us sane people. The huge issue I have is the complete "Failure" of our media to spin narratives and play off of everyone fears, the fine days of Ethical factual reporting are all but gone! When I see political reporters and or bloggers reporting on Science pieces I usual know where it is going. The Long term mask wearing is not good, if you want to wear it going into a store it's fine, I see morons wearing them in their car/running, biking and walking outside! :rolleyes: A mask will not bode well for peoples immune systems in the long run, as our immune systems are like a army, if not tested on a daily/weekly/monthly basis your immune system can become weak.. Need vitamin D3, sunlight and fresh air, turn off the news and enjoy your music is my new theme, I rarely use Facebook anymore as everyone is hyper focused on the negative things in life.

On another Dynaudio note: It will be interesting to see if these Special 25's show up like the pictures I saw.. Hoping this guys pictures and description turns out, as my idea of Excellent and mint condition is usually at a higher standards like most of us on here.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
We got in the new Ebony Wave Special 40 and I have to be honest. I like this color better then the grey birch. Beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, went to my dealer today to listen to the Evoke 20, am considering them together with an Evoke 25C center - I would say 50/50 between stereo and HT use, paired with a Denon X3600H / Hegel Rost using pre outs and HT bypass for stereo listening.

Long story short, was offered a killer deal on a pair of Contour 20 - basically at the price of Special 40, and just about what I was planning to spend on 3 L/C/R speakers from the Evoke line. Except of course if I do get the Countour 20, I need to figure out what to do about the center speaker..

So, here are my options:
(1) Just get the Contour 20s first because deals like these don’t come along every day, and see if a 4.1 setup with the Contour 20s and a phantom center is good enough.

(2) Get the Evoke 20s and 25C and stop thinking about the Countours.

(3) Pinch some pennies and get the Countour 20s together with the Evoke 25C.. Have been reading a lot on mismatched (and phantom) centers and it seems generally the consensus is that they don’t quite work, but there are some who say with careful calibration it might be possible. Unfortunately the Countour center is absolutely out of the question due to both budget and space constraints.

(4) Can probably procure a PMC Twenty5 Center for use in this setup, but the same problem in (3), without the additional spend.

I’m leaning towards (1), and then if that doesn’t work out I can try (4), and if (4) fails miserably I will wind up with (3). If I’m being honest with myself I don’t think (2) is even on the table anymore...

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
J: New finish looks very good!

elleana:

1.) Looks like to be a good option, I have the Contour 20 and had the Special 40 which are excellent as well. I use a SCX Center Channel that makes very good with them as they use the Esotar 2 tweeter.. Original it was crated for the S5.4 but it works with older Confidence line and newer Contour line, I had mine refinished when I went from the Original C2's in Rosewood then to the Platinums in Mocca, so I had my Center refinished in a flat black. I believe I did see a SCX up for sale, personally I would stay away from the Evoke 20's..

https://www.dynaudio.com/discontinued-models/contour-s/contour-s-cx

·
Registered
246 Posts
So, here are my options:
(1) Just get the Contour 20s first because deals like these don’t come along every day, and see if a 4.1 setup with the Contour 20s and a phantom center is good enough.

Option 1. Then save for a Contour center if you feel you need a center. Be sure to buy the center you really want. Reselling center channels isn't always easy, and you'll almost always take a loss.

Contour 20's in the $3k range are always available if you choose to wait a while. I can only assume they will be even cheaper soon as the new "i" models hit the market.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
So, went to my dealer today to listen to the Evoke 20, am considering them together with an Evoke 25C center - I would say 50/50 between stereo and HT use, paired with a Denon X3600H / Hegel Rost using pre outs and HT bypass for stereo listening.

Long story short, was offered a killer deal on a pair of Contour 20 - basically at the price of Special 40, and just about what I was planning to spend on 3 L/C/R speakers from the Evoke line. Except of course if I do get the Countour 20, I need to figure out what to do about the center speaker..

So, here are my options:

(3) Pinch some pennies and get the Countour 20s together with the Evoke 25C.. Have been reading a lot on mismatched (and phantom) centers and it seems generally the consensus is that they don’t quite work, but there are some who say with careful calibration it might be possible. Unfortunately the Countour center is absolutely out of the question due to both budget and space constraints.

(4) Can probably procure a PMC Twenty5 Center for use in this setup, but the same problem in (3), without the additional spend.

I’m leaning towards (1), and then if that doesn’t work out I can try (4), and if (4) fails miserably I will wind up with (3). If I’m being honest with myself I don’t think (2) is even on the table anymore...

Evoke 20 is the odd dog in the Evoke series. Not a fan imho. Pull the trigger on either a special 40 or Contour 20. Both are right around your price range.

Reactions: Garman

·
Registered
1,111 Posts

So, here are my options:

I'd do 1 for now and see how you like it, if you want more center save up and get one. The C20's are great speakers and at that deal it's a no brainer to me...

·
Registered
8 Posts
J: New finish looks very good!

elleana:

1.) Looks like to be a good option, I have the Contour 20 and had the Special 40 which are excellent as well. I use a SCX Center Channel that makes very good with them as they use the Esotar 2 tweeter.. Original it was crated for the S5.4 but it works with older Confidence line and newer Contour line, I had mine refinished when I went from the Original C2's in Rosewood then to the Platinums in Mocca, so I had my Center refinished in a flat black. I believe I did see a SCX up for sale, personally I would stay away from the Evoke 20's..

https://www.dynaudio.com/discontinued-models/contour-s/contour-s-cx

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
elleana: If you need some thing smaller look for some thing in the used market, like Make Em' Dance stated hard to sell a Center these days, but easy to pick one up on the used market in mint condition cheap.. A older Contour Center are smaller and some LR120 are smaller.. Just look for some thing smaller and that will work, phantom is always the less expensive route, but I like good dialogue during a moving.. No affiliation with sellers... There are several LR120 C for sale on Ebay etc.. My very first Dyn system was 5 of these and it did a great job, good center for the money now, especially if you can find one in good to mint condition. As long as your using Dyn you will be better off verses using another brand.

https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/products/dynaudio-excite-x24-center-channel-speaker?variant=19505946099766&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoN_W7uiR6gIVTdbACh2uMA34EAQYASABEgIxh_D_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DYNAUDIO-AUDIENCE-122C-Hi-End-Center-Channel-Speaker-Very-Good-Condition/164187043057?hash=item263a4f74f1:g:gnsAAOSwGzBd2KdC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynaudio-Audience-C122-Center-Channel-Speaker/254507140059?hash=item3b41cec3db:g:54AAAOSwBTlePxuX

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Ebony Wave is fugly. Looks like someone spilled their coffee on it.
Very difficult to tell from some of the pictures I have seen... My personal favorite is Gray.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Very difficult to tell from some of the pictures I have seen... My personal favorite is Gray.

It doesn’t photograph well. The color is actually beautiful. Much warmer then the grey birch. You’d just have to see it in person.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts

So, here are my options:

Over the years I’ve ran 2.1, 4.1, 6.1, 5.1 and now a 3.0 (family room) 2.0 (bedroom) and 2.1 (living room) system.
Fantom Center can work great if you’re seated in the sweet spot, just like music. However if you’re on the right or left extremes just like with music the sound will be very side oriented.
The center channel will anchor the sound to the center, but if you’re on the extreme sides you may have more lobbing issues and still struggle with dialogue.

I prefer my 2.1 contour 20 setup for movies more then I do the 3.0 DM/Focus setup.

Id say if possible either go phantom or buy the Evoke 25C, but the Contour 20s are the real deal musically so get those either way.

47241 - 47260 of 47696 Posts