AVS Forum banner

47261 - 47280 of 47696 Posts

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
no quarter: Well these Elac Vela monitors are pretty amazing, they retail for $2500... Hard to say if they are better than the Special 40's as I don't have them side by side, so hard to make the comparison, but for under 3K speaker they are absolutely well balanced and very pleasant to listen too.. My buddy is getting the floor standers so I might buy them at a big discount. I have plenty of speakers laying around for a different flavor, don't need to look for the holy grail of speakers as my C2 get there! I am just having fun listening to music again and I have always had a soft spot for a good monitor! I have to say the two best purchases over the last few months have been the Aqua Dac and the Ansuz C2 power distribution unit... Never thought some thing could actual make my system dead quite, use to getting ground loop hiss or a slight hiss from the use of a Tube Dac or the Tube Preamp and now dead calm and silence... Thankfully I am a frugal shopper and found it for a steal, but between the Ansuz Main8 C2 the Aqua Dac I am in Audionirvana!

Just curious if anyone is either using Tidal or Quboz? I like having one or the other but don't like to pay monthly, Quboz has it so you can do a year and get HiRez and you also get a huge discount on downloads you want to buy.... Don't really like renting music, prefer owning it...
I use TIDAL a LOT; and have for some time. And Masters/MQA are great.

But...I've been thinking about dumping it soon. I have more files, than I could listen to...in 2 lifetimes, probably; and TIDAL has gone from $9.99...to $19.99...to $29.99! I use it in the car a lot too; but I can work around that.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Thank you callas01 for your reply ;)
These are some of my preferences but unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to listen to these combinations with the Dynaudio Emit M10
You're not in the US, are you?

I just sold, an M2si...but I still have an A29.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Jax may not have cared for the sound; but he has owned a LOT of speakers, and kinda goes from the gut. A piece of kit, grabs him or it doesn't. Doesn't make it a bad speaker, of course; as that kind of thing is sooo subjective.

I can say this: you won't find, a better-cared for pair. And, if he didn't care for them...probably very few hours.
CD: Hope you had a good weekend.... Clearing out a ton of equipment and going to do the same in a few months with speakers.. Ironically is I have a pair of Elac Vela 403 very nice and I just picked up a pair of Special 25 in the Birch finish.. Should be delivered this week, I had them before like you, but they definitely need room to breath and I ended up going the C1 route, and my old room was too small. Got them at a killer price and guy rarely used them as they where in a second system, so hopefully they show up looking like the pictures below! ;) I really don't like any of the finishes on the new Confidence like, more like car finishes and the prices just are too steep even with heavy discounts. Perfectly happy with main system... Just going to narrow it down to a Monitor I can live with for 10 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
CD: Hope you had a good weekend.... Clearing out a ton of equipment and going to do the same in a few months with speakers.. Ironically is I have a pair of Elac Vela 403 very nice and I just picked up a pair of Special 25 in the Birch finish.. Should be delivered this week, I had them before like you, but they definitely need room to breath and I ended up going the C1 route, and my old room was too small. Got them at a killer price and guy rarely used them as they where in a second system, so hopefully they show up looking like the pictures below! ;) I really don't like any of the finishes on the new Confidence like, more like car finishes and the prices just are too steep even with heavy discounts. Perfectly happy with main system... Just going to narrow it down to a Monitor I can live with for 10 years.

It is mint pair there, Garman. My favorite finish too. Great purchase. I am sure you will receive them in as mint condition as long as the seller doesn't screw up the shipping!

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts
I use TIDAL a LOT; and have for some time. And Masters/MQA are great.

But...I've been thinking about dumping it soon. I have more files, than I could listen to...in 2 lifetimes, probably; and TIDAL has gone from $9.99...to $19.99...to $29.99! I use it in the car a lot too; but I can work around that.
Give Qobuz a try. Excellent sound and much less expensive.

$14.99 a month

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/music/streaming/offers

·
Registered
647 Posts
dang tital is 30$ now? I gotta check my credit card statement, I don't think I ever agreed to that. I think I will switch to something else at that price.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Give Qobuz a try. Excellent sound and much less expensive.

$14.99 a month

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/music/streaming/offers
definitely a good savings, especially if you do yearly, I will sign up again. They should give you a free month regardless if your returning or not though.... If you have a ton of music like I do "Audirvana" software is excellent, plus you can stream Quboz through it as well which is a nice feature.. I wish my Sony HAP unit had more streaming software allowed through it.... Very well built and nice sounding and piece of equipment, not sure if I can let go of this unit just yet..

GT: I get them on Friday of these week, ironically Saturday we are going on a well needed short vacation. I still have credit for my vacation to Florida, not sure when the hell I am going to take that based on their Covid-19 numbers... :( At this rate we will have a heard immunity if we don't get a vaccine soon, but thankfully ICUs/ER's now how to treat patients better with this second wave, I hope it's short lived. On the speakers, need to find a good stand for them, or I just use the Stand 20, if I don't keep the Contour 20's, the ones he was going to ship, he said where scratched up.....

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
After trying Tidal on/off again for a good 18 months or so, I finally gave it up. Horrible UI/UX and just too heavy on genres of music that are not my jam. I haven't looked back. $30/mo is outrageous.

Perhaps I'll try Audirvana/Qobuz combo at some point.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I don’t know why Quobuz is not available in Canada... I can see Detroit from my balcony. If they migrate to Canada (Quobuz) I might be inclined to try it, with the High res access. That would also mean I need another streamer, and I might try an Auralic G1 or G2. I like these streamers because they do not come with an on-board DAC, which I would not use.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj7mrrD_JXqAhX3AZ0JHfqzAE0QtwIwDHoECAEQAQ&url=https://us.auralic.com/blogs/news/aries-g2-video-review-by-hans-beekhuyzen&usg=AOvVaw1_teOqt2shBhIk-1b8rb59

·
Registered
7,706 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
@Garman - if the German site Lowbeats is any reference, then I would expect Special25 to punch neck-and-neck with the Contour20. While the latter might be more neutral, I expect S25 to perhaps sound a bit more lively. If there is a spectrum with S40 on one side and C20 on the other, I could see S25 being in the middle. According to Lowbeats - which I think rewards neutrality above all - still gave its nod to the Contour20 over S25. Here are there remarks:

https://www.lowbeats.de/dynaudio-se-4-kompaktboxen-im-online-vergleich/2/

We were surprised how similar the four of them sounded. A high tonal neutrality and a great spatiality with great depth had all four on the plus side. These Dynaudio compact loudspeakers are simply outstandingly good at this - regardless of age.

Two of the four stood out a bit more. On the one hand, the Contour 1.3 SE, because it sounded less precise and detailed in the mids than the other three. Vocals were not quite as concise, brass and percussion instruments sounded less lively. Here the progress of the driver technology becomes especially clear, because the similarly large and similarly expensive Special Forty sounds more open in the mids and yet more smooth and fine.

The other, somewhat eye-catching speaker was the Contour 20, whose outstanding midrange precision and naturalness was also clearly audible in the listening test. Piano stops had even more emphasis and substance and that special sound colouration that makes the recording so authentic. I am sure that the - almost Dynaudio-untypical - precise bass and fundamental range lays the foundation for this convincing midrange precision. The Special 25, with its equally fantastic midrange precision, came closest to the Contour 20 - but without delivering this impressive authenticity.

Nevertheless: the Special 25 impressed us the most. The 16 year old compact loudspeaker played like a young one: with a wonderfully lively mid-high range and a pleasingly powerful and deep bass. Guitar, piano or vocals: the Special 25 masters all these to such an extent that it looks good even against the most modern constructions.

The most modern speaker within the test quartet is the Special Forty. It certainly has the finest tweeter and sounds a bit more pleasing in the mids than the other three. However, the Dynaudio developers have taken a small bow to the zeitgeist of taste, and the hips and upper basses are a bit more chubby. The smallest of the quartet thus masks the fact that it offers the least in the lower low bass range. The somewhat propulsive upper basses make piano and guitars sound a bit too warm and not always precise, but can be quite impressive with electro pop.

And what also distinguishes the modern Special Forty (as well as the Contour 20) from the vintage models: its maximum undistorted level is much higher than with the oldies. With electronic music (such as Yello) this is just a bit more fun...

We were surprised by the result. In spite of all the progress, also postulated by Dynaudio, in terms of less distortion, more dynamics and neutrality, we would have estimated the tonal differences to be greater. Even though the oldest of the Dynaudio SE models, the Contour 1.3 SE, falls off altogether, we have to admit that it still has a high level of sound quality. The differences between the Special 25 and the Special Forty are in the area of taste; the newer's high frequencies are finer, while the low frequencies of the 25-year-old special model are lower and sound more substantial. Beyond all discussions of taste lies the Contour 20: the quartet's largest and most expensive speaker is also the best. Order is maintained here.

What does that mean? Firstly, that Dynaudio has been pursuing a clearly defined sound philosophy for over 40 years - free from all fashionable trends. If you superimpose the frequency and phase responses of all four models, they look like twins. There is probably no other time in the world like this.

Secondly, the good reputation of the older Dynaudio models is absolutely justified. The Contour 1.3 SE is, as described, a little suspended. But if you like the Dynaudio sound philosophy and can find a well-preserved pair of Special 25s at your local dealer or on Ebay (they are currently traded between 2,000 - 2,500 per pair), you can take them without hesitation. This is also because Dynaudio offers every tweeter, midrange or bass driver as a spare part, even after many years. Although this often costs a lot of money, it gives such a purchase a lasting security that is not found in this form at many other suppliers.

Thirdly, because the Danes have implemented their ideas so consistently since the company was founded, the sound differences between comparable loudspeakers from their range are not as great as one might think. Even over as long a period as 20 years. But there are greater differences in the range of maximum levels. Modern designs are capable of much more: they play much louder and without distortion. So the fun factor is higher.

Fourthly, a greater effort is also audible with Dynaudio. The most expensive and elaborate speaker in this comparison, the Contour 20, is without doubt also the best. It was always the easiest to hear on the "virtual listening room" recordings and was also rated best by our test listeners. I'm happy about the result - it is my favourite.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
GT: Thank for posting that article: Funny how the article contradicts itself, it will come down to personal preference. I have owed all the speakers on there list, who knows I just couldn't pass up the deal I got on these. I will have the Contour 20, Special 25 and a pair of Elac Vela 403 to compare... I will be most likely getting rid of 1 or 2 of the pairs... Right now I am very surprised on how the Elac sound, very similar in size as the Special 40's. Again we are comparing a 16 year old speaker, that impressed them the most, but then they give in to the Contour 20 based on more subtle refinements? Well I didn't see that coming! LOL ;) I like the statements highlighted in red! :D

Quote from beginning of article and end:

“ Nevertheless: the Special 25 impressed us the most. The 16 year old compact loudspeaker played like a young one: with a wonderfully lively mid-high range and a pleasingly powerful and deep bass. Guitar, piano or vocals: the Special 25 masters all these to such an extent that it looks good even against the most modern constructions.”

"Fourthly, a greater effort is also audible with Dynaudio. The most expensive and elaborate speaker in this comparison, the Contour 20, is without doubt also the best. It was always the easiest to hear on the "virtual listening room" recordings and was also rated best by our test listeners. I'm happy about the result - it is my favorite."

"Secondly, the good reputation of the older Dynaudio models is absolutely justified. The Contour 1.3 SE is, as described, a little suspended. But if you like the Dynaudio sound philosophy and can find a well-preserved pair of Special 25s at your local dealer or on Ebay (they are currently traded between 2,000 - 2,500 per pair), you can take them without hesitation. This is also because Dynaudio offers every tweeter, midrange or bass driver as a spare part, even after many years. Although this often costs a lot of money, it gives such a purchase a lasting security that is not found in this form at many other suppliers."

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
@Garman I think they mean the S25 surprised them the most due to its age but that the modern speaker can play louder. At least when I read the original German (versus auto translate) this is how I take their meaning. Like I said I think it will be close and wouldn't surprise if you kept S25.

Wonder what Otto would say to that?

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I think you guys are confused. Tidal is $19.99 for a single account and $29.99 for a family account.
I’ll double-check. I do think Masters level is more.

EDIT- Yep; $29.99. Now...I AM on Family. Guess I needed that, to listen in car, Sonos, etc.

Still too much!

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
I’ll double-check. I do think Masters level is more.
Tidal has "HiFi" and "Premium", and it's the HiFi that has the Masters (MQA) and CD-quality stream. their Premium is the 320kbps rate and is cheaper than the $19.99.

I just signed up for Qobuz for $5 month cheaper, probably dumping Tidal HiFi.

As an Amazon Prime member, their Amazon Music HD is another $5 month over the basic fee for all that "free" shipping I get, and is what I stream everywhere but at home on the better systems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tidal has "HiFi" and "Premium", and it's the HiFi that has the Masters (MQA) and CD-quality stream. their Premium is the 320kbps rate and is cheaper than the $19.99.

I just signed up for Qobuz for $5 month cheaper, probably dumping Tidal HiFi.

As an Amazon Prime member, their Amazon Music HD is another $5 month over the basic fee for all that "free" shipping I get, and is what I stream everywhere but at home on the better systems.
For those that jump around the various streaming services, how do you deal with importing / exporting playlists and albums? I have Tidal at the moment and am considering Qobuz, but the thought of redoing all my playlists somewhere else makes me want to give up already.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
For those that jump around the various streaming services, how do you deal with importing / exporting playlists and albums? I have Tidal at the moment and am considering Qobuz, but the thought of redoing all my playlists somewhere else makes me want to give up already.
Sorry, I can't help you there. I gave up creating playlists on Tidal a couple years ago. I have a couple playlists from my own library created on my Bluesound gear, they never go away.

Mostly, I listen to entire albums from start to finish. That applies to streaming as well as playing my LP's.

When I do have a desire for a mindless mix, I use that service's own playlists from within a given genre.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
@Garman I think they mean the S25 surprised them the most due to its age but that the modern speaker can play louder. At least when I read the original German (versus auto translate) this is how I take their meaning. Like I said I think it will be close and wouldn't surprise if you kept S25.

Wonder what Otto would say to that?
The Special 25 will most likely be one of the last Dynaudio I buy... Maybe if the Confidence 20 come down to a more readable price, like 8K retail, I might look at them! For now my main system has been complete for some time, the Platinum C2's and the Belles gear just hit the sweet spot for me and every time I fire it up it gives me goosebumps when playing music! The monitor fixation I have alway had and always try new and used gear looking for that type of monitor that makes my hair stand on end when I hear a female singer hit those high notes that sends goosebumps all over, very few speakers do that for me.. As far as Monitors go, Confidence 3, C1's/Special 25 and Contours come damn close, but all of those where in my old room, even the Elac I am trying out now are amazing, very balanced and for under $2500 one of the better newer speakers I have heard.. Listening to them now..

47261 - 47280 of 47696 Posts