AVS Forum banner

47321 - 47340 of 47720 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Is it just me, or is AVS doing some weird crap, it takes forever to post sometimes, that is why I had a double post earlier, now my edit option is gone?
Make em dance, I get where you are coming from, that is a big concern of mine...is there any 4K material to watch on a regular basis...
Yeah, the forum has been acting nutty for me the last week or so.

Netflix and Amazon both have a decent amount of 4K material and there's always 4K Blu Ray...

·
Registered
234 Posts
elleana: If you need some thing smaller look for some thing in the used market, like Make Em' Dance stated hard to sell a Center these days, but easy to pick one up on the used market in mint condition cheap.. A older Contour Center are smaller and some LR120 are smaller.. Just look for some thing smaller and that will work, phantom is always the less expensive route, but I like good dialogue during a moving.. No affiliation with sellers... There are several LR120 C for sale on Ebay etc.. My very first Dyn system was 5 of these and it did a great job, good center for the money now, especially if you can find one in good to mint condition. As long as your using Dyn you will be better off verses using another brand.

https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/products/dynaudio-excite-x24-center-channel-speaker?variant=19505946099766&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoN_W7uiR6gIVTdbACh2uMA34EAQYASABEgIxh_D_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DYNAUDIO-AUDIENCE-122C-Hi-End-Center-Channel-Speaker-Very-Good-Condition/164187043057?hash=item263a4f74f1:g:gnsAAOSwGzBd2KdC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynaudio-Audience-C122-Center-Channel-Speaker/254507140059?hash=item3b41cec3db:g:54AAAOSwBTlePxuX
Do you know what size drivers are in the C122? I've been looking for a center for my Concept 40 towers, and have been considering Dynaudio X28 as one option. Unfortunately, can't find any X28 in black anywhere.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Some interesting Contour "i" comments trickling in from various sources.

"Dan.S" over at the Naim forum writes:

On my 272+250DR, have recently auditioned the following: S40, Evoke 30, Evoke 50, Contour 20, Contour 30 and Contour 30i, all with enough hours under their belt.
S40: perfect match for this system. Lively sound, forgiving, easy to drive.
Evoke 30: wonderful speakers, a tad below S40 on details but more presence and coherence.
Evoke 50: a true performer. Could write 3 pages on how good these are!
Contour 20: less exciting than S40 but more refined. Would still get the Evoke 30 instead.
Contour 30: only marginally better than Evoke 30. Evoke 50 definitely better. (that’s why they pushed the i series so fast)
Contour 30i: a revelation. Could pair these with 500 series without any hesitation. (never heard a 500 series but I can extrapolate) An end game for most.
There you have it! I’m saving for either C30i or Evoke 50.
Never felt 250DR lacks oomph.

"Chira Muangman" over on the Dynaudio Enthusiasts FB group writes:

No BS, the 20i has better imaging and listenable right out of the box. I remember the pain I had to listen to the 20 during the first week. They were awful right out of the box.

The first thing I noticed was the 20i’s imaging was more precise than the 20. Bass seems to be a bit tighter too. But it still too early to tell. I need to put 200+ hours through them. The past few days I’m very happy with the 20i. At least they are listenable from the box, unlike my 20 that sounded very bad out of the box and during early stage of running in.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
After peeking in on models, for some time now; I think I'm ready to replace the 65" in the Living Room...with a 4k set.

Probably just a Samsung 7-series ($500!); using my Fire TV Cube.

One thing I probably will change...is rather than streaming my movies across the Home Network; I'll probably keep a local drive, at the Cube. Keep that high bit-rate...nice and speedy.

Those files, are HUGE. Somewhere in the 40 -75G range!! :eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
"Chira Muangman" over on the Dynaudio Enthusiasts FB group writes:

No BS, the 20i has better imaging and listenable right out of the box. I remember the pain I had to listen to the 20 during the first week. They were awful right out of the box.

The first thing I noticed was the 20i’s imaging was more precise than the 20. Bass seems to be a bit tighter too. But it still too early to tell. I need to put 200+ hours through them. The past few days I’m very happy with the 20i. At least they are listenable from the box, unlike my 20 that sounded very bad out of the box and during early stage of running in.
He might be an enthousiast, he's also a seller. Imo they were not awful when new but they indeed need a break in to open up, which he is also still expecting here as well. Am still curious to hear both versions side by side.

·
Registered
370 Posts
He might be an enthousiast, he's also a seller. Imo they were not awful when new but they indeed need a break in to open up, which he is also still expecting here as well. Am still curious to hear both versions side by side.

Wait a minute, there is a Dynaudio dealer who is claiming that the “new improved” Contour line up ( of which he would love to make a few sales) is better than the old?

Hmmm...

Lol.

I’ve got $500 that says he can’t tell them apart in a double blind test with random source material.

No, I haven’t heard both but I’m fairly positive the “upgrades” are evolutionary, not revolutionary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wait a minute, there is a Dynaudio dealer who is claiming that the “new improved” Contour line up ( of which he would love to make a few sales) is better than the old?

Hmmm...
FB says he is the general manager of Prestige HiFi in Bangkok and both pages post the same pictures of the grey-oak 20i. He recommends to visit your local Dynaudio dealers for comparison between the two.

In the Enthousiast's page he also notes that "Contour requires much more power than Evoke and Special Forty. I have to use Hegel H590 for Contour 20i. Hegel H190 is good for Special Forty. H120 with Evoke 20." So it would need the biggest of the three amps to come to fair intrinsic, or comparable conclusions.

Lol.

I’ve got $500 that says he can’t tell them apart in a double blind test with random source material.

No, I haven’t heard both but I’m fairly positive the “upgrades” are evolutionary, not revolutionary
If he does, I pay you half of it. :) A revolution would make it a contender for the Confidence 20.

·
Registered
370 Posts
FB says he is the general manager of Prestige HiFi in Bangkok and both pages posted the same pictures of the grey-oak 20i. He recommend to visit your local Dynaudio dealers for comparison between the two.

In the Enthousiast's page he also notes that "Contour requires much more power than Evoke and Special Forty. I have to use Hegel H590 for Contour 20i. Hegel H190 is good for Special Forty. H120 with Evoke 20." So it would need the biggest of the three amps to come to fair intrinsic, or comparable conclusions.

If he does, I pay you half of it. :) A revolution would make it a contender for the Confidence 20.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
This statement is BS to begin with. The H190 can provide a real 250 watts rms per channel at 4 ohms. To think that isn't enough power to drive either Contour model is ridiculous. I'm sure the difference he heard had to do with the amplifier design. The top model integrated amps from Hegel (H300, H360, H390, H590) have always had a totally different sound than the lower to mid level models. The H190 is a $4,000 amp, while the H590 is an $11,000 amp.

I will say that I don't believe Hegel is the last word in current delivery, and lean more towards high voltage designs. Maybe they aren't a good match with Dynaudio. I've owned numerous Hegel amps, and wasn't totally satisfied with any of them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm running Contour 20 with a 45w/ch tube amp which is a sublime combination. My thoughts on the whole Dyns love power "myth" is that they actually like a robust power supply, rather than pure 'watts'. Possibly that's why Naim works better than Hegel, and why class D isn't ideal. Just my thoughts though, definitely not backed by any science, just my experience.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I'm running Contour 20 with a 45w/ch tube amp which is a sublime combination. My thoughts on the whole Dyns love power "myth" is that they actually like a robust power supply, rather than pure 'watts'. Possibly that's why Naim works better than Hegel, and why class D isn't ideal. Just my thoughts though, definitely not backed by any science, just my experience.
I agree on the power, I ran my excite 12’s off my TT2 DAC with no problem, and I know a guy running special 40’s off his TT2. I used the XLR outputs, which gave me 18 watts, the guy with the 40’s is using the RCA outputs, so only 8 Watts. The TT2 however has huge current reserves with the six super capacitors.

Here is a quote from the TT2 product page:

“ Hugo TT 2 eschews the Li-Po battery power supply of the original and ushers in six super capacitors capable of delivering huge, linear dynamic currents when the music demands it with peak output of 5A, 9.3V RMS.”

·
Registered
59 Posts

VNVNation: I agree with you; having run Dyn's off so many different amp's in the past, I have learned that dynamic (high slew rate) power is what they really like--tubes or SS--it does not matter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I purchased an XA25 amp and I'm in sonic nirvana paired with the S40s. Just WOW. Highly recommend it for all the Dyn fans here long as you don't need a lot of watts.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Good to know. I am still thinking about picking up an Octave integrated to play around with.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
So I purchased an XA25 amp and I'm in sonic nirvana paired with the S40s. Just WOW. Highly recommend it for all the Dyn fans here long as you don't need a lot of watts.
Nice, you should have plenty of power with that amp. I was just reading a guys post on the Naim forum, and he said that he felt the SN2 could not drive his special 40’s properly. He went on to add that he is getting new speaker (Contour 20i’s) and a new amp. He does not say what the new amp is. I felt the SN2 was not powerful enough for my C1 Mk11’s when I owned them, yet some folks plod along happily with the SN3 driving Contours, and the SN3 is rumoured to be less powerful than the SN2. I have not heard the SN3 myself, so can not comment on that. Here is what the guy posted on the Naim forum;

“ I’ve had trouble with my SN2 Driving my Dynaudio Special 40’s… so a replacement is on the way and will be unveiled when it comes “
:D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good to know. I am still thinking about picking up an Octave integrated to play around with.
That would be a fantastic combination, Dyns love valves.. :)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Which be you looking to get? Octave is on my want to try list as well.

47321 - 47340 of 47720 Posts