AVS Forum banner

47341 - 47360 of 47732 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I've been eyeing the 70 SE. Or go all in with the 80 SE. Just thinking out loud right now. I'd want to keep my Plinius as well so the setup might get a bit convoluted.

Tyler has a mint trade V80SE for sale. Still has 4 years left on the warranty. Customer upgraded to an Aavik. Great deal if that’s what you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: drewTT

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
no quarter: I got the 30 min after we left for vacation. Lucky neighbor was nice enough to put them in my nice dry basement. FedEx messed this up, will have them unpacked come Friday.

Reactions: no quarter

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi guys.
I have an option to buy Focus XD 20(0) for a good price. Coming from a small floorstander Xeo 30, do you think I would lose a lot of low bass output?
Xeo 30 - 36Hz
Focus 20 XD - 39Hz
Room size approx. 20-25 sqm (230-270 sqft)
I assume everything else is in favour of XDs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Tyler has a mint trade V80SE for sale. Still has 4 years left on the warranty. Customer upgraded to an Aavik. Great deal if that’s what you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty sure my girlfriend would murder me as I just blew some dough on an e-bike. I'll keep Tyler in mind, I've seen some good deals on his Agon.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Pretty sure my girlfriend would murder me as I just blew some dough on an e-bike. I'll keep Tyler in mind, I've seen some good deals on his Agon.
My biking days are behind me, I bought a 1991 HD Fatboy brand new, right when Terminator 2 came out, same bike he uses in the movie. Too damn dangerous and HOT, I only roll with AC now. Kept the Harley for 8 years, and sold it for 3 grand more than I paid for it.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
I dealt with Tyler for the first time this year when I bought a secondhand NAIM NAC-252, and subsequently some Naim PowerLine cables. He was a good guy to deal with and I'd use him again.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
My biking days are behind me, I bought a 1991 HD Fatboy brand new, right when Terminator 2 came out, same bike he uses in the movie. Too damn dangerous and HOT, I only roll with AC now. Kept the Harley for 8 years, and sold it for 3 grand more than I paid for it.
I am still big into cycling. I have custom built road, gravel, and single-speed bikes, plus an off-the-shelf 27.5+ hardtail mountain bike. I used to ride 6000-8000 miles/year but in the past few years it's been closer to 3600-4800. I rode 28 miles in the awful midday heat today, and will meet some buddies for a 35 mile gravel ride tomorrow.

When I retire in a few years I'll likely divide much of my time between riding and playing my hifi.

Reactions: Akp2123

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I am still big into cycling. I have custom built road, gravel, and single-speed bikes, plus an off-the-shelf 27.5+ hardtail mountain bike. I used to ride 6000-8000 miles/year but in the past few years it's been closer to 3600-4800. I rode 28 miles in the awful midday heat today, and will meet some buddies for a 35 mile gravel ride tomorrow.

When I retire in a few years I'll likely divide much of my time between riding and playing my hifi.
Well I need to stay indoors, I had skin cancer on my forehead a couple of years ago, and it still refuses to heal properly, getting a CT scan next week. Plus my recent knee injury...pretty much falling apart in my old age. My workouts are at home, with my squat rack, inclined bench, and set of Olympic weights. At least I can listen to my music at the same time.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Well I need to stay indoors, I had skin cancer on my forehead a couple of years ago, and it still refuses to heal properly, getting a CT scan next week. Plus my recent knee injury...pretty much falling apart in my old age. My workouts are at home, with my squat rack, inclined bench, and set of Olympic weights. At least I can listen to my music at the same time.
I'm about to turn 62. I don't want this unhealthy crap happening to me. My wife just had a hysterectomy and they found some cancel cells. Now she needs an abdominal CT and second surgery. However, they said she her cancel cells were so small she is likely already cancer free. After her CT next week and surgery a week later we are hoping she is good to go without subsequent chemo/radiation. She is getting treated at CAM/Siteman Center in St. Louis. Her Ob/Gyn Oncologist is one if the best in the business. There are few, if any, places better equiped to heal and observe her.

Meanwhile, I will ride as much and as long as I can.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I'm about to turn 62. I don't want this unhealthy crap happening to me. My wife just had a hysterectomy and they found some cancel cells. Now she needs an abdominal CT and second surgery. However, they said she her cancel cells were so small she is likely already cancer free. After her CT next week and surgery a week later we are hoping she is good to go without subsequent chemo/radiation. She is getting treated at CAM/Siteman Center in St. Louis. Her Ob/Gyn Oncologist is one if the best in the business. There are few, if any, places better equiped to heal and observe her.

Meanwhile, I will ride as much and as long as I can.
I did not have chemo, they removed the cancer, and after I healed for a few months, they sent me for radiation. That is what is causing my trouble, it destroys all the cells, and everything behind it, so my skin grafts have a hard time growing, or healing. It’s like trying to grow a garden on cement.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
no quarter: Just got home from Colorado tonight, unpacked the first one, it looked decent... Second one damaged! Back corner, so much for these being professionally packed or in excellent condition anymore.. LOL I get why the guy didn't want to ship them, without original boxes, this is a FedEx issue.. Not packed properly and not handled well. I guess the best case scenario is he relinquishes the claim to me and I deal recouping my cost on them if they still work or even if I want to keep them at this point. Well at least I will have a while to compare them. ;) Thankfully it's on the back corner.

Well this is going to be a short lived demo...... Speaker that looks like it was dropped, the tweeter doesn't seem to be outputting as much volume, so some thing is way off balanced.... I would say these are awesome sounding but more tipped up on the tweeter side, which some people will like, I however do not... The problem is this is these are 16 year old speakers and they do not sound better than the Contour 20's, but not a fair comparison considering some thing is amiss with these.... We will see how Ebay handles this... I wouldn't even want to keep them after hearing them.. Sadly! The finish on these is one of the better finishes I have ever seen.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
That is disappointing Garman, and the reason I still deal with B &M stores in person. The one in my area is a 20 minute drive, but the other one is a 4-1/2 hour drive each way. Send them back, not worth the BS.;)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
no quarter: Just got home from Colorado tonight, unpacked the first one, it looked decent... Second one damaged! Back corner, so much for these being professionally packed or in excellent condition anymore.. LOL I get why the guy didn't want to ship them, without original boxes, this is a FedEx issue.. Not packed properly and not handled well. I guess the best case scenario is he relinquishes the claim to me and I deal recouping my cost on them if they still work or even if I want to keep them at this point. Well at least I will have a while to compare them. /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif Thankfully it's on the back corner.

Well this is going to be a short lived demo...... Speaker that looks like it was dropped, the tweeter doesn't seem to be outputting as much volume, so some thing is way off balanced.... I would say these are awesome sounding but more tipped up on the tweeter side, which some people will like, I however do not... The problem is this is these are 16 year old speakers and they do not sound better than the Contour 20's, but not a fair comparison considering some thing is amiss with these.... We will see how Ebay handles this... I wouldn't even want to keep them after hearing them.. Sadly! The finish on these is one of the better finishes I have ever seen.
JFC that's unfortunate news. Covid has done its own number on the parcel industry. I've got two UPS shipments MIA.

Did the seller show you pictures of that same back corner prior to shipping? Sure they weren't damaged before shipment? Good luck with FedEx.

Even if you keep them and try to repair them with Dynaudio, I'd venture to guess that process will take a year. They guy who bought my 260s blew one woofer on each speaker and has been waiting for the two replacements since March. Dynaudio can't even really give him an ETA.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
no quarter: Just got home from Colorado tonight, unpacked the first one, it looked decent... Second one damaged! Back corner, so much for these being professionally packed or in excellent condition anymore.. LOL I get why the guy didn't want to ship them, without original boxes, this is a FedEx issue.. Not packed properly and not handled well. I guess the best case scenario is he relinquishes the claim to me and I deal recouping my cost on them if they still work or even if I want to keep them at this point. Well at least I will have a while to compare them. ;) Thankfully it's on the back corner.

UGH!!!!

Sorry to hear this.

Were they at least double boxed? I don't know if that would have helped the tweeter situation much, but it might have saved the cabinet...

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm running Contour 20 with a 45w/ch tube amp which is a sublime combination. My thoughts on the whole Dyns love power "myth" is that they actually like a robust power supply, rather than pure 'watts'. Possibly that's why Naim works better than Hegel, and why class D isn't ideal. Just my thoughts though, definitely not backed by any science, just my experience.

VNVNation: I agree with you; having run Dyn's off so many different amp's in the past, I have learned that dynamic (high slew rate) power is what they really like--tubes or SS--it does not matter.

What’s considered a high slew rate for an amp?

Reactions: Suboctave

·
Registered
278 Posts
I feel bad for you Garman, I hope you get either compensated or better yet get your money back and be able to return the 16 year old speakers back to the seller. Keep fighting it, it is not right that you get the short end of the stick.

Reactions: Garman

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
I feel bad for you Garman, I hope you get either compensated or better yet get your money back and be able to return the 16 year old speakers back to the seller. Keep fighting it, it is not right that you get the short end of the stick.
Well to be fair, I had some major vertigo last night from my 14+ hour drive from Colorado.... Drivers sound much better now I am some what back to normal. Almost fell over 3 times, as I have never experienced vertigo before.... Drivers sound much better this morning and more on balanced and some surface scratches on top that didn't show up in the pics he took... I would keep these, if FedEx or seller heavily reimburses me, heck I could call Dyn and get some replacement drivers as I have fixed there stuff in the past, but Esotar 2 drivers for this unit are not cheap.. At the moment not sure if the tweeter is the problem or I am am still off balance from my drive! LOL :eek: Let them play all last night, going to listen some more today.. We will see, if this "FUBAR" situation turns out in my favor, as a similar situation happen with my Sony HAP Player, guy didn't pack it right, I got to keep it, and got all my money back and it cost me $300 bucks to get it repaired..

yonson: Not double boxed! LOL Dumb a s s es.... Wrapped in bubble wrap and some foam on top and bottom and none on the sides... Definitely not enough to keep them safe! Use to work at a store many years ago now, and every time some one gives me feedback its how well I pack and how fast I get them shipped. We will see what happens, some scratches on bottom from guy getting them off the stands, no biggie and tops some surface scratches a few deep but you can't tell from finish, but the ding and tweeter has me concerned. Already filed an issue with Ebay, will get Paypal and my CC involved if needed.

Reactions: yonson

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
yonson: Working things out with seller, good news is FedEx was suppose to professionally pack them and they did not, so this should speed things up... They do sound wonderful... either way I can make them look much more presentable, but if I have to give them up, so be it.. Now compared to the Contour 20's, right now a tad more deeper bass and a very slightly tipped up highs verses the Contour 20's this is only after a few hours of comparing but they do sound better on some music, very similar to the review that was posted. They are like a sonic punch in your face when you crank them up, Contour 20's more laid back. They Look marvelous minus a couple of scratches and slight dent on back of left speaker..

Attachments

Reactions: yonson

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
yonson: Working things out with seller, good news is FedEx was suppose to professionally pack them and they did not, so this should speed things up... They do sound wonderful... either way I can make them look much more presentable, but if I have to give them up, so be it.. Now compared to the Contour 20's, right now a tad more deeper bass and a very slightly tipped up highs verses the Contour 20's this is only after a few hours of comparing but they do sound better on some music, very similar to the review that was posted. They are like a sonic punch in your face when you crank them up, Contour 20's more laid back. They Look marvelous minus a couple of scratches and slight dent on back of left speaker..
So they sound more like S40's, other than the bass?

47341 - 47360 of 47732 Posts