AVS Forum banner

47361 - 47380 of 47724 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
yonson: Working things out with seller, good news is FedEx was suppose to professionally pack them and they did not, so this should speed things up... They do sound wonderful... either way I can make them look much more presentable, but if I have to give them up, so be it.. Now compared to the Contour 20's, right now a tad more deeper bass and a very slightly tipped up highs verses the Contour 20's this is only after a few hours of comparing but they do sound better on some music, very similar to the review that was posted. They are like a sonic punch in your face when you crank them up, Contour 20's more laid back. They Look marvelous minus a couple of scratches and slight dent on back of left speaker..

Seems like a fair assessment.

I only auditioned Special 25 once at the dealer using Accuphase, but how you describe them matches my memory of them. They have also been compared in reviews to Focus 260. Meaning, focused, fast, dynamic for their size, but also a bit in your face. Even if I had not moved to a smaller place, the 260s were on their way out because I was getting a bit tired of the focused "in your face" part. I had already auditioned Contour 20 and 30 and knew they offered a sound I was ready for: a few rows back in the audience, wider, more comprehensive, and a little less focused. The result is that I have longer listening sessions with my C20s and keep them on for longer periods of time than I did with my 260s. I also enjoy the C20s more for low-volume listening. Though sometimes you do want it in your face!

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
yonson/GT:

The review GT posted on comparing these is pretty much spot on... The Special 25 have the best low bass and more sparkle to the highs, in this room they work very well, my old room when I had them years go, they where too much.. Pretty much a toss up on any of the Special 25's/40's or Contour 20's.. all do music justice in different subtle ways, and room/equipment will be key on what works best..... right now I lean more towards the Contour 20's in my room, more comparisons needed... With the damaged done to these going from Excellent to fair condition not sure if I will keep them, if I get compensated for this mess up, I might keep them, they are that good, but trying to thin the heard not add to it!

Reactions: Suboctave

·
Registered
59 Posts
What’s considered a high slew rate for an amp?

Well there are a few ways to talk about it. Slew rate for an amplification stage refers the rate of change the stage can go from lower state to a higher state per unit of time typically expressed in volt or watts. In other words from my experience you want to be able to deliver a lot of power in a short amount of time for Dyn's. However audio power amp companies do not typically write power rating specs this way but there are good indicators that an amp has a fast slew rate with regards to power by looking at a few things:

1) Watts per channel is just the basic overall continuous wave (CW) power, it does not tell you very much about dynamic power but the higher the better; for dynamic power a 100w amp may stay below 10w most of the time while listening but you may need a burst of 100w with a drum wack to faithfully produce the waveform.

2) Does the power double when going from 8 ohms to a 4 ohm load, if so this tells you that it has a good strong power supply

3) Dynamic headroom is listed by some manufacturers and indicates the power that can be delivered above the CW power for certain length of time, usually as 3db or 6db

4) Bandwidth of the amp could tell you something about the dynamic power, in others words, an amp that has a bandwidth of 20-100kHz as opposed to 20-30kHz says that it can amplify faster wave forms at rated power

Dyn's have always been on the low sensitivity side of the norm as well as typically a 4 ohms nominal load. There are many things that contribute to this but for our conversation this just means for a certain amount of sound power in your room you need more power to reproduce the waveform correctly compared to 8 ohm speakers with higher sensitivity. This is one of the reasons you always hear that Dyn's love power and you will be rewarded the more power you give them; however, this does not preclude a 45w rated tube amp sounding more dynamic than a 100w SS design, since the tube amp may be able to deliver more dynamic music power compared to SS amp due to some of the reasons above.

·
Registered
278 Posts
What’️s considered a high slew rate for an amp?

Well there are a few ways to talk about it. Slew rate for an amplification stage refers the rate of change the stage can go from lower state to a higher state per unit of time typically expressed in volt or watts. In other words from my experience you want to be able to deliver a lot of power in a short amount of time for Dyn's. However audio power amp companies do not typically write power rating specs this way but there are good indicators that an amp has a fast slew rate with regards to power by looking at a few things:

1) Watts per channel is just the basic overall continuous wave (CW) power, it does not tell you very much about dynamic power but the higher the better; for dynamic power a 100w amp may stay below 10w most of the time while listening but you may need a burst of 100w with a drum wack to faithfully produce the waveform.

2) Does the power double when going from 8 ohms to a 4 ohm load, if so this tells you that it has a good strong power supply

3) Dynamic headroom is listed by some manufacturers and indicates the power that can be delivered above the CW power for certain length of time, usually as 3db or 6db

4) Bandwidth of the amp could tell you something about the dynamic power, in others words, an amp that has a bandwidth of 20-100kHz as opposed to 20-30kHz says that it can amplify faster wave forms at rated power

Dyn's have always been on the low sensitivity side of the norm as well as typically a 4 ohms nominal load. There are many things that contribute to this but for our conversation this just means for a certain amount of sound power in your room you need more power to reproduce the waveform correctly compared to 8 ohm speakers with higher sensitivity. This is one of the reasons you always hear that Dyn's love power and you will be rewarded the more power you give them; however, this does not preclude a 45w rated tube amp sounding more dynamic than a 100w SS design, since the tube amp may be able to deliver more dynamic music power compared to SS amp due to some of the reasons above.

Thanks for explanation.

Would you happen to know if 28volts/us at 1Khz is considered a good slew rate?

·
Registered
59 Posts
no quarter: Just got home from Colorado tonight, unpacked the first one, it looked decent... Second one damaged! Back corner, so much for these being professionally packed or in excellent condition anymore.. LOL I get why the guy didn't want to ship them, without original boxes, this is a FedEx issue.. Not packed properly and not handled well. I guess the best case scenario is he relinquishes the claim to me and I deal recouping my cost on them if they still work or even if I want to keep them at this point. Well at least I will have a while to compare them. ;) Thankfully it's on the back corner.

Well this is going to be a short lived demo...... Speaker that looks like it was dropped, the tweeter doesn't seem to be outputting as much volume, so some thing is way off balanced.... I would say these are awesome sounding but more tipped up on the tweeter side, which some people will like, I however do not... The problem is this is these are 16 year old speakers and they do not sound better than the Contour 20's, but not a fair comparison considering some thing is amiss with these.... We will see how Ebay handles this... I wouldn't even want to keep them after hearing them.. Sadly! The finish on these is one of the better finishes I have ever seen.

So sorry Garman--I hate it when people are so negligent.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for explanation.

Would you happen to know if 28volts/us at 1Khz is considered a good slew rate?

What is the rated power of the amp? Some of the pro-amps use slew rate like this but it is not very meaningful unless they have a power rating for a given frequency response.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for the interesting insights Suboctave.

I find it one of the more bizarre facets of hi-fi audio that specs rarely give the whole picture of real synergy, performance and ultimately satisfaction with a given combination. As always there's more going on than appears on the surface..

Reactions: Suboctave

·
Registered
34 Posts

I find it one of the more bizarre facets of hi-fi audio that specs rarely give the whole picture of real synergy, performance and ultimately satisfaction with a given combination. As always there's more going on than appears on the surface..
Pusko, have you purchase the Focus XD 20?
How does it sound?
Thnx

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi guys.
I have an option to buy Focus XD 20(0) for a good price. Coming from a small floorstander Xeo 30, do you think I would lose a lot of low bass output?
Xeo 30 - 36Hz
Focus 20 XD - 39Hz
Room size approx. 20-25 sqm (230-270 sqft)
I assume everything else is in favour of XDs.

Thanks.
How does it sound?
Thnx

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi guys.
I have an option to buy Focus XD 20(0) for a good price. Coming from a small floorstander Xeo 30, do you think I would lose a lot of low bass output?
Xeo 30 - 36Hz
Focus 20 XD - 39Hz
Room size approx. 20-25 sqm (230-270 sqft)
I assume everything else is in favour of XDs.

Thanks.
How does it sound?
Thnx
I actually stretched my budget a bit and went for XD 400(30) that they had on special price too. They were in store on display (not demo-ed). I hope to get them by the end of next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts

VNVNation: Your welcome, like we all have learned, you really do not know until you listen for yourself if a certain combination works or not. This aspect of our hobby is what makes it fun to me.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Which be you looking to get? Octave is on my want to try list as well.
I've been eyeing the 70 SE. Or go all in with the 80 SE. Just thinking out loud right now. I'd want to keep my Plinius as well so the setup might get a bit convoluted.
Had a long audition with the V40SE in which it powered, X16s, C1, 3.4 and 5.4s. After this demo I purchased the X16s. The V40 powered them all quite well within reason respecting volume and punch. I demo’d the V80 on a pair of Dynaudio Sapphire Anniversary speakers, listened to the entire Phantom of the Opera, I’m not into Operas but it sounded great and dynamic. I was offered the V40 after this demo but the kids were too small for me to be comfortable with hot glass in the house.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wonder how Dynaudio are travelling in these uncertain times? Can't be easy for high-end audio companies and you'd have to assume global production chains would be wrought with problems. I've noticed more discounting/sales of Dynaudio product than I've seen previously, maybe just normal turnover of old stock?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I wonder how Dynaudio are travelling in these uncertain times? Can't be easy for high-end audio companies and you'd have to assume global production chains would be wrought with problems. I've noticed more discounting/sales of Dynaudio product than I've seen previously, maybe just normal turnover of old stock?

My local dealer was closed until recently and now it is by appointment only, one client at a time.

I would assume that only the upper 2% are comfortable enough with such lavish purchases, while the 98% are already either unemployed, underemployed, or are anticipating one or the other by Q4 2020. My wife is in the latter category. We are focused right now and saving and configuring potentially for a single income.

I still expect a good number of brands, including Dynaudio, NAIM, etc. to be insolvent within 24 months.

I expect over 50% of the members of AVS Forum to be unemployed or underemployed within 12 months.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
My local dealer was closed until recently and now it is by appointment only, one client at a time.

I would assume that only the upper 2% are comfortable enough with such lavish purchases, while the 98% are already either unemployed, underemployed, or are anticipating one or the other by Q4 2020. My wife is in the latter category. We are focused right now and saving and configuring potentially for a single income.

I still expect a good number of brands, including Dynaudio, NAIM, etc. to be insolvent within 24 months.

I expect over 50% of the members of AVS Forum to be unemployed or underemployed within 12 months.
Kind of bold statements there GT, what are you basing this on ? I know it is bad in the US right now, but here in Canada things are not too bad. People just needed to stay home for a few months, but that is too much to ask I guess.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Kind of bold statements there GT, what are you basing this on ? I know it is bad in the US right now, but here in Canada things are not too bad. People just needed to stay home for a few months, but that is too much to ask I guess.

Call it a gut feeling? Call it reading the tea leaves from many, diverse sources? Too many idiots in the US both "in charge" and too many gunning for a race/Civil War 2.0. Call it an out-of-control pandemic and a market in need of many corrections.

I truly hope the work goes on just fine, even if the US plummets. If Dynaudio, NAIM, etc. can do with a lot lower sales in the US, then more power to them, even Brexit aside. Maybe all they need is China?

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Call it a gut feeling? Call it reading the tea leaves from many, diverse sources? Too many idiots in the US both "in charge" and too many gunning for a race/Civil War 2.0. Call it an out-of-control pandemic and a market in need of many corrections.

I truly hope the work goes on just fine, even if the US plummets. If Dynaudio, NAIM, etc. can do with a lot lower sales in the US, then more power to them, even Brexit aside. Maybe all they need is China?
Interesting times, my company I work for just got purchased... Not sure what will happen, but I didn't waste anytime and had one of my final interviews today. Relying on China is what got us into this mess and there ineptness to relay critical intel to the rest of the world. I agree with you "All" aspects of government have been failing us.. The Far left pushing us over the top and the far right keeping pretty quite lately, defunding the police the media focusing on negative aspects of everything doesn't help matters. Cases are going up, but they leave out the death rate is dropping like a rock in the US... People say the United Kingdom is doing better yet their death rate is 15.4% the US is 4.4%, death rates for this virus are plummeting, yet our media points the blame and concentrates on cases increasing. Hopefully the media will back the hell up and start showing "real factual intel" of what is really going on.. Same thing goes with the whole Hydroxychloroquine BS they spun, now two huge studies show it works and there is another life saving Steroid that works. One by Henry Ford Clinic and yet another... Political writers need to stay the "F" out of writing about Science! I am with you on one income, wife owns a Montessori School... and it could go belly up, now State is requiring mask be worn everywhere inside, I will comply but there is not much proof some flimsy POS mask that most people "Reuse" work.... Respirator mask yes.... Regardless we will see if this helps reduce count from going up.... Frankly the test are even more flawed than people realize. I been tested twice and plan on being tested again this week, just because of the areas I work in... On the Dynaudio end, Hope things work out and for other manufactures, my last purchase was the Special 25's, and I believe I will either end up with a significant discount or my money back... either way my buying days on equipment are done for now.... We can't rely on government, we see where that gets us... Frankly I think a lot of this is purposely being done, sadly.... :(

Reactions: MUDCAT45

·
Registered
1,967 Posts

I’m think you are bit pessimistic on your views and predictions. Turn off the tv. I don’t see what you see. Not close.

47361 - 47380 of 47724 Posts