AVS Forum banner

47381 - 47400 of 48063 Posts

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Got the new TV up and running, I tried some 4k video from YouTube, and it is obvious I need faster internet. I got to talking to my buddy that helped me install the TV about internet speeds, and he asked me if I have seen what Elon Musk is doing ??? He showed me these videos of satellites that Musk launched into space, apparently he Wants to take over the world, and the internet with these laser satellites, with lightning fast speeds that will make standard internet useless. Here is a video of them on a test run, imagine smoking some wacky tobacco and seeing this in the sky, I would be tripping.: https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjKyvi3rbzqAhUHXc0KHcKQDx4QtwIwAXoECAIQAQ&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej3IV_WW0LE&usg=AOvVaw3FXSQAy4WWTySQXcPTAogU

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Really? Links please. Thanks.

Check your PM, I don't want to flood off topic thread on here... If anyone ever wants "Scientific Info on these topics" I have access to a ton of it, leaving out political biases as most of the Science Articles I see on the net are written by political bloggers and or writers trying to spin it one way or the other.

On a lighter note, guy that owns the other pair of Dynaudio Special 25s at the dealership in Houston, will not ship them as he doesn't have the boxes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm considering a Focus XD system for my living room. I was wondering if, running them wired, they're fully synced (i.e. not the master speaker playing milliseconds earlier than the slave, or similar), and if the same holds true when running the master wired and the slave wirelessly.

Thanks from Italy :)

·
Premium Member
6,879 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm considering a Focus XD system for my living room. I was wondering if, running them wired, they're fully synced (i.e. not the master speaker playing milliseconds earlier than the slave, or similar), and if the same holds true when running the master wired and the slave wirelessly.

I don't know if there is a millisecond difference but have run 60XD both ways with no sonic difference.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts

Short answer: We control the delay so that left and right speakers are in sync, regardless of connection type.

Slightly longer answer: Note that there are two types of "latency" or "delay" generally referred to, when discussing wireless speakers, and people tend to call them different things. One is what I prefer to call Global Delay, which is the total delay between the signal entering the speaker, and the sound coming out. This is the delay that affects lip sync between the picture on a screen, and the sound. Focus XD has a global delay of around 20 miliseconds, which is low enough to not be noticeable in essentially any normal use. When used together with cabled speakers in a surround sound setup for instance, you do need to take this delay into account.

The potential delay between the two speakers on the other hand, what I prefer to call inter-speaker latency, is crucial to have proper stereo imaging. This generally needs to be in the vicinity of 1 microsecond, not miliseconds. In the Focus XD, when you are running a wireless signal between the speakers, we delay the Master speaker accordingly, so that you have the same global delay in both speakers, with accurate imaging. We do recommend using a cabled connection if you want the ultimately best quality - a cabled connection will always be better than the wireless one - but the imaging when running wireless is generally very good. In fact, I almost always demonstrate the speakers using the wireless option, in effect not showing off the peak potential of the system, because then you know when you get them home that you will get at least the performance that was demonstrated.

It should be noted that several companies are marketing "latency" without further definition of what that term covers, and claiming for instance 1 microsecond latency - but not stating what the global latency (lip sync) is. Often, this is because the global latency is 50+ miliseconds, which causes noticeable lip sync issues. In general, you can trust that if a claim is in microseconds, it's about inter-speaker latency, and if it's in miliseconds, it's about global delay/lip sync. The optimum system is good at both.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Short answer: We control the delay so that left and right speakers are in sync, regardless of connection type.

Slightly longer answer: Note that there are two types of "latency" or "delay" generally referred to, when discussing wireless speakers, and people tend to call them different things. One is what I prefer to call Global Delay, which is the total delay between the signal entering the speaker, and the sound coming out. This is the delay that affects lip sync between the picture on a screen, and the sound. Focus XD has a global delay of around 20 miliseconds, which is low enough to not be noticeable in essentially any normal use. When used together with cabled speakers in a surround sound setup for instance, you do need to take this delay into account.

The potential delay between the two speakers on the other hand, what I prefer to call inter-speaker latency, is crucial to have proper stereo imaging. This generally needs to be in the vicinity of 1 microsecond, not miliseconds. In the Focus XD, when you are running a wireless signal between the speakers, we delay the Master speaker accordingly, so that you have the same global delay in both speakers, with accurate imaging. We do recommend using a cabled connection if you want the ultimately best quality - a cabled connection will always be better than the wireless one - but the imaging when running wireless is generally very good. In fact, I almost always demonstrate the speakers using the wireless option, in effect not showing off the peak potential of the system, because then you know when you get them home that you will get at least the performance that was demonstrated.

It should be noted that several companies are marketing "latency" without further definition of what that term covers, and claiming for instance 1 microsecond latency - but not stating what the global latency (lip sync) is. Often, this is because the global latency is 50+ miliseconds, which causes noticeable lip sync issues. In general, you can trust that if a claim is in microseconds, it's about inter-speaker latency, and if it's in miliseconds, it's about global delay/lip sync. The optimum system is good at both.

Thank you Otto J for the thorough reply, that covers exactly all the doubts I had in mind!
1 microsecond... wow, you can't even measure/correct such a small delay with a UMIK/miniDSP!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just received my new 400 XDs.
Oh my...the difference to Xeo 30 is quite big...and I’m yet to run them in, install Isoacustic legs and do a firmware update. I’m also waiting for Bluejeans cables to connect the 2 speakers.
Every aspect of music/sound is on another level. They only come closer together when listening to slow, “elementary,” non engaging music. Source: BS Node 2i
Will post some pics later in the day.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Just received my new 400 XDs.
Oh my...the difference to Xeo 30 is quite big...and I’m yet to run them in, install Isoacustic legs and do a firmware update. I’m also waiting for Bluejeans cables to connect the 2 speakers.
Every aspect of music/sound is on another level. They only come closer together when listening to slow, “elementary,” non engaging music. Source: BS Node 2i
Will post some pics later in the day.
I only remember one firmware update for my XD 600’s over the entire time I owned them, and it was a very significant step forward. You will be surprised how much better they will sound. They will also play much louder at max volume after the update.I also had Isoacoustics GAIA 3’s under mine, another uplift. You also might not want to hear this, but a better source, or streamer sounds significantly better too. Just when you thought going active would close the door on the upgrade itch, it doesn’t.;)

·
Premium Member
6,879 Posts
I only remember one firmware update for my XD 600’s over the entire time I owned them, and it was a very significant step forward. You will be surprised how much better they will sound. They will also play much louder at max volume after the update.I also had Isoacoustics GAIA 3’s under mine, another uplift. You also might not want to hear this, but a better source, or streamer sounds significantly better too. Just when you thought going active would close the door on the upgrade itch, it doesn’t.;)
If you're going out from the streamer digitally to the Dynaudio, what mechanism would cause it to sound "significantly better"? Aren't bits bits?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
If you're going out from the streamer digitally to the Dynaudio, what mechanism would cause it to sound "significantly better"? Aren't bits bits?
Nope, not in my experience. I went from a Unitiqute 2 digital out, to a N272 digital out, to an NDS digital out feeding my XD’s. Each step was an upgrade, why does a Naim ND555 with dual power supplies out perform a bluesound node 2? Better components, isolation, power supplies etc. I am by no means an expert on these things, but bits are not just bits.
Well maybe the bits are the same, but the thing delivering them matters.

·
Premium Member
6,879 Posts
Nope, not in my experience. I went from a Unitiqute 2 digital out, to a N272 digital out, to an NDS digital out feeding my XD’s. Each step was an upgrade, why does a Naim ND555 with dual power supplies out perform a bluesound node 2? Better components, isolation, power supplies etc. I am by no means an expert on these things, but bits are not just bits.
Well maybe the bits are the same, but the thing delivering them matters.
Really? I bet a level matched double blind test would prove differently. But whatever makes you happy.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I'm running Contour 20 with a 45w/ch tube amp which is a sublime combination. My thoughts on the whole Dyns love power "myth" is that they actually like a robust power supply, rather than pure 'watts'. Possibly that's why Naim works better than Hegel, and why class D isn't ideal. Just my thoughts though, definitely not backed by any science, just my experience.
Current, not just power; goes back...to my Focus 140s, lol.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Actually, we're going nowhere. If you're having fun, that's all that matters.
Nowhere is some times a good place to be, especially now! ;)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hi all! About to take the plunge on the new contour i 60’s. Anyone hear any good (or bad) things about the new i contour series? Anything else new coming down the dynaudio pike that i should consider?

47381 - 47400 of 48063 Posts