AVS Forum banner

47401 - 47420 of 47736 Posts

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
Hi all! About to take the plunge on the new contour i 60’s. Anyone hear any good (or bad) things about the new i contour series? Anything else new coming down the dynaudio pike that i should consider?
Otto on here might be able to enlighten you on the subtle changes, you can't go wrong on any flavor Dyn you pick up, well maybe the Evoke 20.... ;) You might get a better deal on the non (i) versions since they are trying to clear them out. I heard from a friend that demoed bot Contour 20's and (i) version, that he heard no differences between the two, but he lives in Europe and not sure when we will get them in the States..

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Otto on here might be able to enlighten you on the subtle changes, you can't go wrong on any flavor Dyn you pick up, well maybe the Evoke 20.... ;) You might get a better deal on the non (i) versions since they are trying to clear them out. I heard from a friend that demoed bot Contour 20's and (i) version, that he heard no differences between the two, but he lives in Europe and not sure when we will get them in the States..
I'm not going to share my subjective opinion on sound of each individual speaker, but I will say that I don't consider the difference between 60 and 60i to be subtle... More so on the 20 vs 20i, there's less difference in those (both technically and sonically).

Noticable 60i improvements over 60:

New tweeter w. Hexis
New midrange chamber
New woofers (much higher BL, meaning better control)
Improved cabinet construction
Improved internal damping
Improved frequency response, especially off-axis, through better tuning (Jupiter measurements helps significantly in the tuning work - often downplayed by engineers who haven't tried it...)

·
Registered
76 Posts
@no quarter...I believe that a better streamer makes a difference too. But for now I’m cashed out. Difference is big already and it’s going to get better every day. 🙂
For the first time in my life I can enjoy “full-bodied” music at low volume. So much detail and stage and “bigness.” I always had to crank it up before.
On weekend I’ll install Gaias, then run it for few weeks and after that install a new firmware.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
I'm not going to share my subjective opinion on sound of each individual speaker, but I will say that I don't consider the difference between 60 and 60i to be subtle... More so on the 20 vs 20i, there's less difference in those (both technically and sonically).

New tweeter w. Hexis
New midrange chamber
Improved frequency response, especially off-axis, through better tuning (Jupiter measurements helps significantly in the tuning work - often downplayed by engineers who haven't tried it...)
Thanks for the input and info!

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Sounds like more of the same in the review.

I find this funny, "Look past the impressive sonic authority and scale and you’ll find that these Dynaudios dig up a lot of detail, more than we remember for the first-generation model." They can remember the amount of detail a speaker retrieved from two years ago? Riiiight.....lol

·
Registered
2,678 Posts

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
No affiliation with this seller, but wow...68,000.00 Canadian + tax, which brings you to 77K.:eek:
No wonder we do not hear much about the Confidence line. We hear more about the Contour I than Confidence, no wonder, who can afford them?

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649635342-dynaudio-confidence-60-tower-spkrs-rosewood-mint-demo-full-wrnty-free-ship-priced-too-low-to-adverti/
Interesting, I guess they new Evidence line is now the Confidence line... ;)

Funny thing is the Contour 20 (i) my buddy just heard along with the originals he had, said he heard zero difference, but did state the new pair only had 50 hours on them so the dealer told him. Sorry right now we don't need new models costing more, people for the next couple of years are going to be looking for more reasonable prices, and we haven't seen huge drops audio gear prices just yet.

Not much changes in the review and both 5 stars..... not making me go run out and exchange them that's for sure! ;)

https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/dynaudio-contour-20-review

·
Registered
372 Posts

New tweeter w. Hexis
New midrange chamber

is it right to assume that all these modifications account for c20i also, except midrange chamber?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
No affiliation with this seller, but wow...68,000.00 Canadian + tax, which brings you to 77K.:eek:
No wonder we do not hear much about the Confidence line. We hear more about the Contour I than Confidence, no wonder, who can afford them?

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649635342-dynaudio-confidence-60-tower-spkrs-rosewood-mint-demo-full-wrnty-free-ship-priced-too-low-to-adverti/
i'm on their e-mail newsletter thing and they blasted this out today.

No affiliation either...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
i'm on their e-mail newsletter thing and they blasted this out today.

No affiliation either...
That company has some questionable prices for sure, when I bought my special 40’s brand new, I think I paid around $3,500 Canadian for them. The same company selling the 60’s has an ad for the wave wood special 40’s, at what seems like a crazy price to me. I think they are inflating the MSRP they list, to make you feel like you are getting a good deal.
. https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649630961-dynaudio-special-forty-spkrs-ebony-wave-new-full-wrnty-free-ship-calle-mail-for-more-details/

Again, no affiliation.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
is it right to assume that all these modifications account for c20i also, except midrange chamber?
The 20i/30i/25Ci has updated spider in the woofer, but the magnet is the same. The 60i has updated spider, as well as improved magnet system.

The other updates are technically the same, but have more impact on the bigger speakers.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Hello,

I'm considering getting the new Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers. The room is approximately 25m2. Now I just wonder if there are any amplifiers that are know to work well with these speakers. Currently I've got an Accuphase E-460 amplifier, and wonder if anyone has experience from pairing that one (or other similar Accuphase amplifiers) with the Dynaudio Contour speaker series?

I know the Dynaudio speakers have quite low sensitivity (Contour 30i is rated at 87db), but hopefully the E-460 would have sufficient power? Also, does the Accuphase have a "sound profile" that matches well with Dynaudio speakers (not too bright/dark/...)? Or are there other amplifiers that are a better match for Dynaudio speakers?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Hello,

I'm considering getting the new Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers. The room is approximately 25m2. Now I just wonder if there are any amplifiers that are know to work well with these speakers. Currently I've got an Accuphase E-460 amplifier, and wonder if anyone has experience from pairing that one (or other similar Accuphase amplifiers) with the Dynaudio Contour speaker series?

I know the Dynaudio speakers have quite low sensitivity (Contour 30i is rated at 87db), but hopefully the E-460 would have sufficient power? Also, does the Accuphase have a "sound profile" that matches well with Dynaudio speakers (not too bright/dark/...)? Or are there other amplifiers that are a better match for Dynaudio speakers?

I am a fan of Accuphase and their amps tend to pair well with Dynaudio. Your amp is rated at 180 watts at 8 Ohms and 260 at 4 Ohms. I would personally get the speakers and pair them with your current gear. I think you will be fine. The Contour 30/30i are an amazing set of speakers.

Reactions: Fjodor2000

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
The 20i/30i/25Ci has updated spider in the woofer, but the magnet is the same. The 60i has updated spider, as well as improved magnet system.

The other updates are technically the same, but have more impact on the bigger speakers.

Ugh. I agree that the Contour 60 got more "i" treatment than any of the other Contour speakers, with the 20 perhaps getting the least "i" treatment. I am sorry but I still think it is a slap in the face, especially for those that dropped $10K USD on a pair of speakers even as late as 2019. My biggest gripe, even though it does not affect me personally, is that you all did not provide an upgrade path for Contour 60 owners. Either to have them brought to 60i standards or be able to buy 60i at a steep discount.

Anyway, great to know you all are healthy out there in Denmark. Congrats for defeating the virus. The US is the Titantic and most of us are on it without a lifeboat. Pandemic, economic collapse, race war, and Civil War 2.0 coming soon. Probably by January. Either that or China invades Taiwan and Trump declares war against China in the South China Sea, declares Marshall Law, and suspends the election. Neither is an appealing option.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Anyway, great to know you all are healthy out there in Denmark. Congrats for defeating the virus. The US is the Titantic and most of us are on it without a lifeboat. Pandemic, economic collapse, race war, and Civil War 2.0 coming soon. Probably by January. Either that or China invades Taiwan and Trump declares war against China in the South China Sea, declares Marshall Law, and suspends the election. Neither is an appealing option.
We get the point. You've stated your thoughts numerous times. This is a speaker thread, and general audio forum. Take your pessimism, apocalyptic predictions, and dislike for our current leadership somewhere else. No one wants to hear it.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Interesting, I guess they new Evidence line is now the Confidence line... ;)

Funny thing is the Contour 20 (i) my buddy just heard along with the originals he had, said he heard zero difference, but did state the new pair only had 50 hours on them so the dealer told him. Sorry right now we don't need new models costing more, people for the next couple of years are going to be looking for more reasonable prices, and we haven't seen huge drops audio gear prices just yet.

Not much changes in the review and both 5 stars..... not making me go run out and exchange them that's for sure! ;)

https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/dynaudio-contour-20-review

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah, I've been looking at used Contour 60 for a while now, and people are still asking way too much for them. I would not pay more than $6k for Contour 60 and not more than $4,200 for Contour 30.

Marc, I paid $7500 for my Contour 60 and I consider it a steal. Quite literally the least expensive component in my stereo and the C60 is by no means the lowest common denominator. I agree $6k used should be the ceiling but you can score these guys BNIB for way less the asking price, and you certainly know my dealer from another audio site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Marc, I paid $7500 for my Contour 60 and I consider it a steal. Quite literally the least expensive component in my stereo and the C60 is by no means the lowest common denominator. I agree $6k used should be the ceiling but you can score these guys BNIB for way less the asking price, and you certainly know my dealer from another audio site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I do? I'm sure you're right, but I'm just drawing a blank right now. PM me if you want, I can't come up with it right now, getting too old, I guess.

47401 - 47420 of 47736 Posts