AVS Forum banner

48001 - 48020 of 48196 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Would you consider the Contour series to be suitable for both music and movies?
Yes.

And will a high quality AVR be sufficient to drive them, e.g. Arcam AVR20?
I think you need better amplification to get the most out of the speakers. I suggest a multichannel pre/pro and a used 5-channel amp. I'm running a Marantz AV8801 (which I need to upgrade) and a Simaudio Titan. I had a high quality Yamaha AVR in the system for a few months while the Simaudio was in Canada for service (my fault), and it was nowhere close. Alternatively, if you've already got the AVR, then I'd at least get a beefy 3-channel amp for the front L,C,R.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
@Otto J : any update on the status of the Dynaudio Music app? A new one is supposed to be under development and due this month... Getting Spotify Connect back in the Music speakers wouldn't hurt either! :)
It’s in progress, but I’d rather not make promises. The month is not over yet :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
You should get a used pair of Contour 30 if you have the amp for it. Talk about a level up. Sounds like you want a floorstander.
Nah i prefer new pair and only looking for a bookshelf, as i had a desktop setup, a living room setup and a room setup...my room setup using dynaudio sp40 for now......living room setup using focal, desktop setup using B&W right now those sound perfect so next to upgrade was my room setup

·
Registered
400 Posts
I see....cause i wanna know how much of a difference if i am to go one tier level up as i had the SP40....i also had a focal kanta floorstander and 805D3 after listening to those i felt my SP40 weak lol that's why itchy backside
Are those 805D3 double the price?
Must say it crossed my mind to upgrade from S40 to new contours, i wasn’t totally happy anymore with S40.. But i decided to radical upgrade source. It was the right choice at the end, the performance is so much better, and more than happy again. No needs for other speakers now. So don’t give them up to easy. They need high quality input and they will reward it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are those 805D3 double the price?
Must say it crossed my mind to upgrade from S40 to new contours, i wasn’t totally happy anymore with S40.. But i decided to radical upgrade source. It was the right choice at the end, the performance is so much better, and more than happy again. No needs for other speakers now. So don’t give them up to easy. They need high quality input and they will reward it.
May i know what amp you use to pair with those SP40? is Naim XS3 sufficient for those? as i see you have Moon gears

·
Registered
400 Posts
May i know what amp you use to pair with those SP40? is Naim XS3 sufficient for those? as i see you have Moon gears
Think you can compare S40 wit C1, in case of amplification requirements.
So i would say Supernait 3 at least.
Use a simaudio 350p and 330a here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Think you can compare S40 wit C1, in case of amplification requirements.
So i would say Supernait 3 at least.
Use a simaudio 350p and 330a here.
I see....i used to use my SP40 on my desktop after i got my bowers i replace it and sent my SP40 back to my room

now to this

my focal is on my living

my room setup change to SP40 replacing my old bowers

So if the new contour 20i go on par level with my bowers and focal i don't mind upgrading my sp40

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all, I just wanted to share with you that after auditioning several amplifiers at the store I found the perfect match for my S40, and that is the Moon250i, it’s rated at 50W at 8ohms but it has much more power than that, it comes with a huge oversized toroidal and it drives my S40 effortlessly with enough punch and dynamics and a pleasant bass weight along with an expansive soundstage.

So if you’re in the same boat as me I highly recommend give this amplifier a try.

This was one my first posts on the subject:

Hi @Dan1331, good question, I have tried:

Musical Fidelity M6si (all sellers recommend this), the M6si actually sounds nice, it has an expansive soundstage, you can feel the instruments been detached completely from the speakers and it also has great dynamics, huge details, but I found it lacks warmth and can be on the bright side with rock music, at least a lot of songs on my playlist sounded too bright, it can cause ear fatigue on long sessions and the timbre is a bit metallic/sharp.

Rega Aethos: this one has a very nice warm sound, huge dynamics, huge details, huge bass response that can sometimes be too much, timbre is natural, soundstage is good but no as big as with the M6si, but I find it lacks crispy highs and this is accentuated by the S40’s being a bit soft on the highs, you will never get ear fatigue with this amp.

I’m currently driving my S40’s with the Aethos by EQing +3dB on Roon at 7000hz to compensate for the lack on the highs.

The rest of my audio equipment: DAC Exposure 2010S2 DSD, Allo USB bridge and Roon, room is around 20m2 size.

Both amps are really good and capable of driving the S40’s with ease, I think everything boils down to personal liking.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hi all, I just wanted to share with you that after auditioning several amplifiers at the store I found the perfect match for my S40, and that is the Moon250i, it’s rated at 50W at 8ohms but it has much more power than that, it comes with a huge oversized toroidal and it drives my S40 effortlessly with enough punch and dynamics and a pleasant bass weight along with an expansive soundstage.

So if you’re in the same boat as me I highly recommend give this amplifier a try.

This was one my first posts on the subject:
When i bought a moon 340i ( i3.3 older name), i also auditioned the smaller 250i.
The 250i it’s a nice amp, but found it’s bigger brother much better amp in every way.
Now, in the setup it is used above, where the speakers seem very close, or on a desk nearfield, maybe a 250i will do.

Reactions: MosfetMist

·
Registered
9 Posts
When i bought a moon 340i ( i3.3 older name), i also auditioned the smaller 250i.
The 250i it’s a nice amp, but found it’s bigger brother much better amp in every way.
Now, in the setup it is used above, where the speakers seem very close, or on a desk nearfield, maybe a 250i will do.
Yes, I know the 340i is better, but at the moment I don’t need too much power, the room where I have the S40’s is 20m2 size and I rarely go past 10:00 on the 250i’s knob, the 250i fills the room completely and I don’t like the sound too loud, also I own another amplifier which has 150 at 6ohms and can be used as a power amplifier alone. Just out of curiosity this weekend I will connect the 250i’s output preamp to this power amp to see how it sounds.

I think I’ll be getting a used 340i in the future, but for now I’m enjoying the 250i.

I forgot to mention I also have a subwoofer connected along with my S40’s.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes, I know the 340i is better, but at the moment I don’t need so much power, the room where I have the S40’s is 20m2 size and I rarely go past 10:00 on the 250i’s knob, the 250i fills the room completely and I don’t like the sound too loud, also I own another amplifier which has 150 at 6ohms and can be used as a power amplifier alone. Just out of curiosity this weekend I will connect the 250i’s output preamp to this power amp to see how it sounds.

I think I’ll be getting a used 340i in the future, but for now I’m enjoying the 250i.

I forgot to mention I also have a subwoofer connected along with my S40’s.
No problem it’s a good amp. Highh end stuff.
Just that it’s the ‘problem’ with the Dyns in this range, they always work better / best with good current. Also with lower volume.
The sub now will def help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No problem it’s a good amp. Highh end stuff.
Just that it’s the ‘problem’ with the Dyns in this range, they always work better / best with good current. Also with lower volume.
The sub now will def help.
I know what you mean, the Dyns are generally current hungry, the S40’s are a bit less power hungry and easier to drive than other Dyns, by the way I have the subwoofer cut at 40hz, it only adds the lowest note and lends some weight and depth to the soundstage.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I’m using Contour 30s and Contour 25c in my living room, where we watch lots of movies and I listen to music.

The Contours excel at both.
Looks really nice! Very similar to what I'm considering. Do you have a 3.1 or 5.1 setup? Also, what amplifier are you using?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Looks really nice! Very similar to what I'm considering. Do you have a 3.1 or 5.1 setup? Also, what amplifier are you using?

Dynaudio Contour SRs in the back.

JL Audio subwoofers.

I’m using an Acurus Muse and ATI 1505.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Would like to know anybody here using Hegel amp ?? Specially h 190 ?? ,I read many good reviews about this amp ?? Also anybody here using streamer that could directly rip cd ? Any suggestion ?? Not want expensive one but reasonable good ??;):)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just wanted to confirm , the nad m22 v2 and moon 330a I’m assuming are good enough to power the evoke 50’s? And maybe even the contour 30/i in the future? Thanks

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I am really liking what this dealer in Germany is doing in terms of their YouTube comparisons and commentary. Only in German I am afraid.

In this video, they compare Confidence C30 ($21K USD) and TAD Evolution One TX ($28K USD) using high-end T+A equipment. One reviewer (guy on the left) says that the Dynaudio C2 Platinum was his favorite go-to speaker ever sold in the dealer. His new favorite is the new TAD. (I had the pleasure of auditioning TAD a few years ago at a local Maryland HiFi show and was blown away by them.) They are curious how C30 holds up to the TAD using their test tracks.

I won't declare a winner nor tell which one they prefer. But it's close.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
I am really liking what this dealer in Germany is doing in terms of their YouTube comparisons and commentary. Only in German I am afraid.

In this video, they compare Confidence C30 ($21K USD) and TAD Evolution One TX ($28K USD) using high-end T+A equipment. One reviewer (guy on the left) says that the Dynaudio C2 Platinum was his favorite go-to speaker ever sold in the dealer. His new favorite is the new TAD. (I had the pleasure of auditioning TAD a few years ago at a local Maryland HiFi show and was blown away by them.) They are curious how C30 holds up to the TAD using their test tracks.

I won't declare a winner nor tell which one they prefer. But it's close.

Wish you would I don’t speak German and I’m sure many here dont either

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Just wanted to confirm , the nad m22 v2 and moon 330a I’m assuming are good enough to power the evoke 50’s? And maybe even the contour 30/i in the future? Thanks

I’ve never used either, but I’m sure that both will be fine.
what are you going to use as a Pre-pro?

Reactions: skads_187
48001 - 48020 of 48196 Posts