AVS Forum banner

48061 - 48080 of 48157 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Speakers, and in particular tricky-to-drive speakers, tend to respond favourably when the amplifier used has a very beefy power supply and output stage. Power ratings (w/ch, RMS etc) have very little to do with how well an amplifier will perform. I'd take less watts and more current every day of the week all being equal.

·
Registered
254 Posts
So u are saying those like luxman L590AXII class A at 30watts selling at $8,995.00 are nuts? Accuphase A48 at 45watts cost over 10k are snake oil and cheaters.....nah i not gonna argue with you....you had your own opinon same as others if u don't agree then just ignore......besides i owned both hegel and naim so to me hegel do sound detail but naim is more dynamic and it depend on your speakers......as long as i listen happy more important.......peace
No, I'm saying exactly the opposite. Power delivery has very little to do with current delivery. Low powered class A biased amplifiers delivery tons of current. Tube amps normally do the same. The amps you referenced are totally different designs than anything Naim manufactures. You can achieve power in two different ways; more current or more voltage. Naim amps do it with more voltage, which is why they dissipate less heat and require minimal heatsinks for dispersion.

Amps (current) x Voltage = Watts

It's mathematics, not opinion.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have seen test between the Hegel and the Naim, and they say if you want to play loud...go with the Hegel. So i am sure the Hegel have more headroom!. That said i am sure the Naim is a very very good amp to!, but if i had to change my H390 to another amp, it would probarly be the new Nad M33

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
skads_187
I just saw the monoblocks you are talking about on Canuck Audiomart. Those are the Aria’s, not the MB 200’s that Garman has, so I am not sure how they would compare to the
150 A V2 amp. The 150 is 125/250 Watts into 8/4 Ohms...while the Arias are 112/175, so the monos are less powerful....Garman?
I have the MB-200 Monoblocs, more juice than the Aria.. But the Aria mono blocs are excellent, I have heard them and if you want to forgo the Int. Aria Amp the Mono blocs will squeeze out some more power and detail. I been extremely happy with this brand, built rock solid.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Got to spend some time with the Confidence 50's today powered by a Simaudio 600i... Most impressive and they only have ~ 100 hours on them, they sound very similar to the Cf20's just with a WAY bigger sound stage and more bottom end. I haven't listened to music with my C4's in about 2 months because I've had my sim racing setup in the living room, I moved it to a spare bedroom a couple days ago so when I got home I listened to the C4's with a few of the same tracks and I have to say the Cf50's have the advantage even though they aren't even broken in. I know it's 2 different rooms and equipment, but the stage is nowhere near as large as the Cf50's, although I feel the C4's have more bottom end, but I wasn't in control of the volume on the Cf50's so that may be part of it.

I asked about the Contour I's and they said they had them on order, but weren't really expecting them for another couple months.
What do you think - how would Confidence 20 with a pair of good subs (and probably high pass filter - and thus relieved of playing the lowest frequencies) compare with Confidence 50?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
What do you think - how would Confidence 20 with a pair of good subs (and probably high pass filter - and thus relieved of playing the lowest frequencies) compare with Confidence 50?
I don’t know about the Confidence 20’s, I have not heard them (who has?), but I used to use C1 MK 11’s with a pair of JL Audio Fathom 112’s in my home theatre. The problem with the C1’s though, they would “pop” when turned up too loud, even when I had them crossed at 80 Hz with the subs. This was the reason I moved them on in favor of the XD600’s, which played much louder with no popping of the woofer. I guess it depends if you like to play at concert levels, or just casual listening levels, but I would choose the bigger Confidence 50’s right off the bat. The thing about the older Dyn’s that drove me nuts, was they do not distort at all, until you reach their limit...I had the same issue with focus 160’s. Maybe the new line has solved this problem, I will probably never find out.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I personally would go with the 20's/subs vs. the 50's, however the soundstage and presence is obviously smaller with the 20's, but not enough that I would pick them over the 20's especially with the price difference.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I don’t know about the Confidence 20’s, I have not heard them (who has?), but I used to use C1 MK 11’s with a pair of JL Audio Fathom 112’s in my home theatre. The problem with the C1’s though, they would “pop” when turned up too loud, even when I had them crossed at 80 Hz with the subs. This was the reason I moved them on in favor of the XD600’s, which played much louder with no popping of the woofer. I guess it depends if you like to play at concert levels, or just casual listening levels, but I would choose the bigger Confidence 50’s right off the bat. The thing about the older Dyn’s that drove me nuts, was they do not distort at all, until you reach their limit...I had the same issue with focus 160’s. Maybe the new line has solved this problem, I will probably never find out.
I didn't try pushing them to the point of bottoming them out since they weren't mine, but without subs they were as impressive as my Focus 260's on the bottom end and played quite loud.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I have seen test between the Hegel and the Naim, and they say if you want to play loud...go with the Hegel. So i am sure the Hegel have more headroom!. That said i am sure the Naim is a very very good amp to!, but if i had to change my H390 to another amp, it would probarly be the new Nad M33
If I was to switch out my Naim it would probably be to a Hegel amp, provided I could hear one first.

·
Registered
398 Posts
No comparison.
If youwant smaller Cf50, take a Cf30 in my opinion.

·
Registered
45 Posts
No, I'm saying exactly the opposite. Power delivery has very little to do with current delivery. Low powered class A biased amplifiers delivery tons of current. Tube amps normally do the same. The amps you referenced are totally different designs than anything Naim manufactures. You can achieve power in two different ways; more current or more voltage. Naim amps do it with more voltage, which is why they dissipate less heat and require minimal heatsinks for dispersion.

Amps (current) x Voltage = Watts

It's mathematics, not opinion.
I was just stating that high power rating doesn't matters and expensive things are price on it's capability....you won't charge a ps5 same price as a 3080RTX equipped computer as both also can play games....if is expensive it must have it's reason not say oh is a scam or snakeoil....anyways overall it comes to your speakers if you are using focal it goes really well with naim, i pair SN3 with 805D3 have good results with it, dynaudio and pmc i tried also works well with naim gear, KEF on the other hand works really well with HEGEL so it depends.....as for harbeth speaker i don't like it.....more interested in spendor more and if i had that i will use primaluna to drive them as they will bring out sweeter vocal......

Think NAD M33 is a downgrade compare to hegel, heard NAD master series on a Kef reference 1 not impressed by it the salesman also tell me NAD don't sound great on them use Hegel h390 or 590 those kef will shine

Anyways i will save up and see sim moon gear really pair up well with SP40 since got ppl here recommends it

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Kef reference 1’s are known to be very hard to drive. CD Lehner had a pair for a while, and he said you pretty much need a welder to drive them. Mr softdome used Simaudio monoblocks with his...600 Watts I believe.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I'd take Cf20's and a pair of Sub 6's over anything else in the Dynaudio line...
But can you get the SPL’s of the bigger Dyn’s with the little 😉 20’s? Like I said above, SPL’s were severely limited with C1’s and subs. Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott’s blueray deserves at least 100 DB’s...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Because they are that capable. I wasn't lying when I said that I could be happy with them replacing my C4's. Of course they aren't going to do the same SPL, but I find myself listening at higher levels more and more rare these days.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Yeah, and check out post #30 from Ian2001...🤪
The Belles 150 A V2 drove the P3’s with ease at my dealers home, and made me fall in love with Harbeth speakers.
Yes, you keep on referring to the ONE and ONLY person who had issues with the SN3 and specific Harbeths. Certainly does not a trend make.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Yes, you keep on referring to the ONE and ONLY person who had issues with the SN3 and specific Harbeths. Certainly does not a trend make.
He is not the ONLY one, a member called “Newcomer” had issues driving Proacs with the SN3 too. He now uses Musical Fidelity Nuvista 600 with the Proacs...so YOU ARE WRONG!

Here you go

newcomer
Dec '19

I’d say not by far the Atom, and not even the Nova is going to be able to drive those speakers properly.
Note that its 4 Ohms mean that in the most dynamic passages will fall frequently even up to the 2 Ohms, and there Naim does not feel comfortable.
My experience with the ProAC K6, also 4 Ohms nominal but even a better sensitivity than the Dynaudio, has been that neither the SN2 nor the SN3, both 80W in 8 Ohms, have been able to drive them satisfactorily, and in the end I ended up with a Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista 600, which is another story both for synergy with the boxes and by technical specifications, starting with the 200W at 8 Ohms and 400W in 4 Ohms.”

·
Registered
649 Posts
You can't choose how you deliver power to speakers by Amps or Volts. Two amps driving the same speaker at the same power level are both producing precisely identical voltage and current. The relationship of volts to amps is defined by the speakers impedance. In the DC sense power is the voltage^2 / speaker resistance since the current is voltage over resistance. Its a bit more complicated for AC and reactive speaker loads, but voltage drives speakers and their impedance causes to current flow.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You can't choose how you deliver power to speakers by Amps or Volts. Two amps driving the same speaker at the same power level are both producing precisely identical voltage and current.
Correct me if im wrong, but quess that will depent and be different on each amplifier. You regulate the voltage between a certain window (volume) , and the speaker impedance will define the value of current (limited by the amplifier).

48061 - 48080 of 48157 Posts