AVS Forum banner

48081 - 48100 of 48195 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
The second part of your statement is correct, however the first is not. The relationship between current and voltage at the loudspeaker terminal is dictated 100% by the loudspeaker itself. It is amplifier invariant

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can't choose how you deliver power to speakers by Amps or Volts. Two amps driving the same speaker at the same power level are both producing precisely identical voltage and current. The relationship of volts to amps is defined by the speakers impedance. In the DC sense power is the voltage^2 / speaker resistance since the current is voltage over resistance. Its a bit more complicated for AC and reactive speaker loads, but voltage drives speakers and their impedance causes to current flow.
You are correct. Audio is AC, so how amplifiers manage power vs time vs load impedence is where the bigger differences are in amps when it comes to bass reproduction. Speakers often go to very low impedences ( 2 ohms) at woofer crossover points with steep phase angles and amps that have a lot of reserve current will sound much different than an amp that does not.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The second part of your statement is correct, however the first is not. The relationship between current and voltage at the loudspeaker terminal is dictated 100% by the loudspeaker itself. It is amplifier invariant
you’re right!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just want to share customer service experience. After just over 2 year of owning/using my Xeo 30, spekers stopped “talking”to each other. Brought them to my dealer and after a while (from my corespondents with Dynaudio support in Denmark) we pinpointed the issue. Transmitter/receiver parts in soeakers were faulty. As the don’t have the necessary replacement parts here in Australia, they had to ship them from Denmark. After about 2 months got my speakers back repaired free of charge (under warranty even though it already expired). Happy.
Bought 400 XD in the meantime, so will probably be selling Xeos.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I’m using Contour 30s and Contour 25c in my living room, where we watch lots of movies and I listen to music.

The Contours excel at both.
Cool! Similar to what I'm considering.

Is there anyone that has tried running a Dynaudio Contour based 5.1 setup with a high quality/power AVR (e.g. Arcam AVR20)? If so, can you please share your experiences, good or bad?

And have you tried upgrading to something more powerful, and then what benefits did you notice?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Streamer that directly rip a CD.

I’m using an Innuos Zen Mini with the optional power supply. I really like the hardware, and I have found the software to be fantastic. From my experience, their support has been excellent as well.

It has been a good source for my (weak sauce) Naim SN3 and SP40’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ok I will google it ..thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have a buddy using the Röst (now called the 120) with Excite X34s. He really likes his system and he’s had $20k systems in the past. As for a ripping streamer... Bluesound Vault 2i. I will say I have a Bluesound Node 2, it’s ok, I liked my Naim streamer way better, but they do t have what you’re looking for unless you want an all in one streamer like the Uniti Star. Which is what I had before.
Ok I will look into bluesound vault looks quite good

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Seems like with new updates you can add CD drive to Auralic streamers and rip to them now.

Reactions: bertholomey

·
Registered
14 Posts
how's does the new contour 20i's sound compare to a SP40? anyone had a demo compare between those 2?
I have heard the SP40 in comparison with the C20 ( the older version not i). For S40 there was a Nova driving them while for the C20 was SN 1 ( this was an option for me to buy a second hand system).
The C20 with the SN1 was way superior to the SP40 with Nova. More details, greater sound stage, no struggle, warm and human. I was listening to a Hotel California accoustic and finally understood how would have been to attend one of their concerts. The SP40 didn't provided that concert like experience. Now, for sure the comparison is not fair, due to the amplification, but for me was a eye oppener.

·
Registered
705 Posts
From my experience, SP40s need even better amp than C20s to shine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have heard the SP40 in comparison with the C20 ( the older version not i). For S40 there was a Nova driving them while for the C20 was SN 1 ( this was an option for me to buy a second hand system).
The C20 with the SN1 was way superior to the SP40 with Nova. More details, greater sound stage, no struggle, warm and human. I was listening to a Hotel California accoustic and finally understood how would have been to attend one of their concerts. The SP40 didn't provided that concert like experience. Now, for sure the comparison is not fair, due to the amplification, but for me was a eye oppener.
i see....thanks for the impression of those two....makes me wonder how much better can they improve on the "i" version saw images that alot had changed in the box of the "i" i used my SP40 as desktop speaker previously it was very detail and mids are great and full better than my another speaker the pmc twenty5....one thing i like about pmc is i listen to female vocal they have those sweet sound that all my other speaker don't have so it makes it unique....SP40 in terms of soundstage it was lacking like you said....then i brought a new pair of 805D3 totally a different league.... there is a lot of depth and the treble is amazing at first it was a bit harsh out of the box but after few weeks of burning in....it becoming more amazing the highs really smoother out....tried games with it sound very surround like i having back speakers....playing single call of duty modern warfare when firing using sniper can hear the bullet eject out and fell onto the flooring and the bang and echo effect...those D3 had the best bass ever....i still have my SP40 though i think listening to all round it still sounds great....sometimes i listen to some poor recording like youtube and 320kbps mp3, D3 and my floorstander focal they just show u trash but SP40 they are non picky....

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Contour 20i vs Contour 20

German website Lowbeats listened to the two together and concluded that the tweeter performs noticeably more agile or nimble than before. Overall score 4.7 vs 4.6 for the older model.
Thanks for posting.

A few key points from my reading:

They are surprised that the new model has the same price in Europe of 4,500 EUR.

They remind readers that the original Contour 20 is one of their most favorite speakers, having spent more time in their comparison shop than any other speaker. They also remind readers that the Contour 20 bested the three anniversary speakers in their comparison test of Contour 1.3SE, Special25, and Special40.

In the opening paragraphs, they keep on emphasizing the new Esotar2i tweeter as the main difference between the 20i and 20. They barely mention other upgrades.

They recognize that parts of the Esotar2i had their genesis in Special40 but otherwise refer to that "anniversary speaker" as not being one of their favorites.

To translate the "meat" of the review:

The Contour 20 was always a benchmark for us because it sounds so unpretentiously authentic, earthy and spatial, and also plays pleasingly crisp in the upper bass range (where many a Dynaudio has significantly more fat on the hips)...And it became even more so when we switched to the new Contour 20i. Basically, all the advantages of the old 20s are retained. Some members of the listening crew even thought that they could hear even more clarity in the basic tone range...Here, too, the new Contour 20i has minimal advantages. But it is above all the new tweeter, whose qualities really shine through. It's like a very light curtain that is pulled up when you switch to the i-model. The entire midrange-tweeter range now sounds a bit more splendid, but also more agile and light-footed...The new Esotar-2i tweeter actually makes the Contour 20i audibly better. Not so much that owners of an "old" Contour 20 would have to become restless - this speaker is too good for that. But still so noticeably more light-footed in the tweeter range that I would definitely opt for the model with the "i". The old Contour 20 belongs without question to the world's elite. With the refinement to the i-status this affiliation was sealed once again.
LowBeats also offers audio samples of the two speakers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Contour 20i vs Contour 20

German website Lowbeats listened to the two together and concluded that the tweeter performs noticeably more agile or nimble than before. Overall score 4.7 vs 4.6 for the older model.
Thanks for the post; I respect this magazine's take on things; they do the work needed for a thorough review--now I want a C20i...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I should add their comment to this graph is rather interesting:

Die „alte“ Dynaudio Contour 20 ist messtechnisch etwas besser als die neue 20i: Die Impedanz verläuft etwas flacher, die Phasendrehungen um 1.000 Hertz fallen etwas geringfügiger aus.
Translated: The "old" Dynaudio Contour 20 is slightly better than the new 20i: The impedance is somewhat flatter, the phase shifts of 1,000 Hertz are slightly less.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
After listening to the two tracks on SoundCloud, one for the 20 and one for the 20i, using my Schiit DAC and Sennheiser HD 58X headphones, you have to search hard for the differences. I may have found the opening bass-heavy track to be better on the 20 than 20i. I did find a little more sparkle on the 20i with the guitar-heavy track. I may have also picked up a tad more detail on the 20i (the shaker on one track was a tad more discernible as was the background organ in the chanting track). I did find the classical piece, especially the string-heavy one, to be more fatiguing on the 20i than 20, which would be a negative for the 20i to my ears.

I am curious what others hear.

Reactions: Marquee Moon

·
Registered
400 Posts
I should add their comment to this graph is rather interesting:

Translated: The "old" Dynaudio Contour 20 is slightly better than the new 20i: The impedance is somewhat flatter, the phase shifts of 1,000 Hertz are slightly less.
Didn’t they remove the impedance correction from the filter, because it is not really required anymore in i version? That would explain the difference.

Reactions: Marquee Moon
48081 - 48100 of 48195 Posts