AVS Forum banner

48121 - 48140 of 48195 Posts

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I think we have a few headphone fans here. I am trying to finalize and I guess justify the purchase of HD800S. I spent a good hour with them and were my favorite over the likes of Focal Clear, Utopia, ZMF. The soundstage is just epic on the Senns. I am wondering what else is out there that compares, especially soundstage/imaging wise and comfort? I am passing on any Hifiman because the subpar build and quality control. Audyze's are just too uncomfortable for longer listening sessions. Maybe the Meze Emperians?

I already got this headphone stand so I need to buy something...lol

Meze Empyream are the headphones I eventually want, but that is only based on reviews and feedback on the headfi forum...I have not heard a pair yet. With COVID 19, I can’t see myself walking into a headphone shop in Toronto any time soon to try a pair. I own Sennheiser Momentums for now, which I hardly ever use, since speakers are my main listening preference.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Meze Empyream are the headphones I eventually want, but that is only based on reviews and feedback on the headfi forum...I have not heard a pair yet. With COVID 19, I can’t see myself walking into a headphone shop in Toronto any time soon to try a pair. I own Sennheiser Momentums for now, which I hardly ever use, since speakers are my main listening preference.
Yeah these would be for my PC desktop setup upstairs with the iDSD Pro. I work from home so I spend a crap ton of time up there. So good headphones would be nice to have to listen to music and for PC gaming. I have desktop monitors from Focal but headphones would be a nice change of pace and not bother my gf downstairs.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think we have a few headphone fans here. I am trying to finalize and I guess justify the purchase of HD800S. I spent a good hour with them and were my favorite over the likes of Focal Clear, Utopia, ZMF. The soundstage is just epic on the Senns. I am wondering what else is out there that compares, especially soundstage/imaging wise and comfort? I am passing on any Hifiman because the subpar build and quality control. Audyze's are just too uncomfortable for longer listening sessions. Maybe the Meze Emperians?

I already got this headphone stand so I need to buy something...lol

You cannot go wrong with the HD800s, it is excellent. However think it might require a very decent headphone stage. The HD700 ( think now replaced by hd660?) @150ohm seems to be more easy and gives a lot of transparancy and fun. Not the big soundstage effect as 800, but very enjoyable

·
Registered
84 Posts
This post is my "Thank You" appreciation note for Mike Miles.

He hooked me up with an awesome deal on a pair of Dynaudio Professional M3XE studio monitors to be my front
mains in my theater room. They are now in my garage, on a pallet, in their boxes waiting until I find a pair of
Lab Gruppen PLM12K44 amps to warm them with.

I still can't believe I actually own these incredible pieces of music-reproducing artwork.

Thanks AGAIN Mike! You ROCK!!!!

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
The upgrade bug has bitten me again, so I have an ex demo pair of Wave Storm BNC cables coming to me. They will go between my Mscaler and TT2, and supposedly are a big upgrade over the stock cables I have been using so far. It will be 2 or 3 weeks before I have them in place, but looking forward to this.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Back before Covid, we would have "headfi" headphone meetups here in the DMV and I had the opportunity to listen to some really nice equipment (Senn HD800S, Focal Utopia) on both Chord DAVE+MSCALER and Schitt Yiggy setups. I have also auditioned other "expensive" ($500+) phones from Grado, Audeze, Beyerdynamic, Shure, B&W, AKG. I keep coming back to Sennheiser (I own the HD 58X Jubilee) and the Focals but for the money/value, the HD58X is hard to beat, especially with an HP amp and mods. It does not need an amp like the HD6XX/650 but it does benefit from one.

I am also a big fan of Schiit DAC/HP amps and prefer their sound to even the Chord DAVE.

Reactions: yonson

·
Registered
45 Posts
I heard the new contour 20i during the weekends is more refine and more balanced sound as compare to the older contour the bass like more control not overwhelm......then i heard the spendor D7.2 those blew those dynaudio away.....didn't know spendor speaker that good look very boxy no design.....then heard the D9.2 that one really impressive very deep & solid voicing soundstage was very wide was very impress by it

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
What, are those ear buds?, still waiting for a proper headphone that I can use with my DAC. I assume those are Bluetooth or something similar...I’ll pass.🤨

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Back before Covid, we would have "headfi" headphone meetups here in the DMV and I had the opportunity to listen to some really nice equipment (Senn HD800S, Focal Utopia) on both Chord DAVE+MSCALER and Schitt Yiggy setups. I have also auditioned other "expensive" ($500+) phones from Grado, Audeze, Beyerdynamic, Shure, B&W, AKG. I keep coming back to Sennheiser (I own the HD 58X Jubilee) and the Focals but for the money/value, the HD58X is hard to beat, especially with an HP amp and mods. It does not need an amp like the HD6XX/650 but it does benefit from one.

I am also a big fan of Schiit DAC/HP amps and prefer their sound to even the Chord DAVE.
All of my systems now are almost entirely composed of Schiit and Dynaudio components...

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
I heard the new contour 20i during the weekends is more refine and more balanced sound as compare to the older contour the bass like more control not overwhelm......then i heard the spendor D7.2 those blew those dynaudio away.....didn't know spendor speaker that good look very boxy no design.....then heard the D9.2 that one really impressive very deep & solid voicing soundstage was very wide was very impress by it
So did you hear the Contour 20 and 20i next to each other to compare? Spendor makes some great speakers, we used to carry them at Audiophiles a long time ago, and it comes down to personal preference when listening to any speaker. I have a multitude of speakers in my home, my wife thinks I am crazy! LOL, but it keeps me sane! They might have blew the Dynaudio away to your ears, but that term doesn't always apply to every listener, that's why there are so many speakers to choose from!. ;) I have a pair of Elac 403 Vela and they are giving the Contour 20 a run for their money but the neutrality of Dynaudio is hard to beat.. The Spendors sensitivity alone make them an easy bet to be run off a very simple amplifier. Plus your comparing a monitor at 5K to a Floorstander at almost 7K and a D9.2 at almost 12K. I wish the finishes looked nicer, regardless they make good stuff!

Although I could see a pair of D9.2 in the Eucalyptus Finish in my rig! ;)

Reactions: andrex99

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
More info about these:

·
Registered
7,793 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
So did you hear the Contour 20 and 20i next to each other to compare? Spendor makes some great speakers, we used to carry them at Audiophiles a long time ago, and it comes down to personal preference when listening to any speaker. I have a multitude of speakers in my home, my wife thinks I am crazy! LOL, but it keeps me sane! They might have blew the Dynaudio away to your ears, but that term doesn't always apply to every listener, that's why there are so many speakers to choose from!. ;) I have a pair of Elac 403 Vela and they are giving the Contour 20 a run for their money but the neutrality of Dynaudio is hard to beat.. The Spendors sensitivity alone make them an easy bet to be run off a very simple amplifier. Plus your comparing a monitor at 5K to a Floorstander at almost 7K and a D9.2 at almost 12K. I wish the finishes looked nicer, regardless they make good stuff!

Although I could see a pair of D9.2 in the Eucalyptus Finish in my rig! ;)

View attachment 3048211
no as they already sold the demo unit but they are playing on the same track before so i based on my memories contour 20 has more bass as compare to contour 20i but contour 20i is more balance in sound as the bass or etc will not overwhelm each other so i say it was more refine than the previous.....as for contour 20i as compared to spendor 7.2 they are price the same in my country.....spendor for male vocal are more solid and muscular an the soundstage is wider as compare to 20i....means spendor is much more worth it in term of performance and have no need for a stand.....like there is a lot of depth those spendor are running with a chord cd player with chord ultima.......so i tried the D9.2 to see what's the next level it blew those 7.2 and contour 20i away of course....as for price wise is definitely more expensive but for the sound getting out from these are amazing

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
Amon86: I heard the 20 and 20i finally side by side and heard zero difference, so the next step would be Confidence 20, but I have a pair of Confidence C2 Platinums and Special 25 that I am redoing. So done on the Dynaudio front but always looking for other speakers that sound equally as good if not better, which I haven't found yet. ;) The Speakers I posted above a dealer has near me, well IL is not too far.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
More info here:

Yes, we have made a collaboration with Oppo, similar to what we have done in the past with MSI laptops. Oppo is providing the hardware, we provide the sound tuning. You should expect to see various types of products from this collaboration in the future.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
@Otto J : any update on the status of the Dynaudio Music app? A new one is supposed to be under development and due this month... Getting Spotify Connect back in the Music speakers wouldn't hurt either! :)
The new app for Music is now live (has been for a couple of weeks actually). I am happy to say that a firmware update to support Spotify Connect will go live today.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Amon86: I heard the 20 and 20i finally side by side and heard zero difference, so the next step would be Confidence 20, but I have a pair of Confidence C2 Platinums and Special 25 that I am redoing. So done on the Dynaudio front but always looking for other speakers that sound equally as good if not better, which I haven't found yet. ;) The Speakers I posted above a dealer has near me, well IL is not too far.
The difference is subtle but audible is not a huge jump from contour 20 is more balanced and refine play some saCD or bluspec cds you might hear the difference is there......if you had a contour 20 is not worth it to buy a pair to upgrade my opinion but if you are using to upgrade sp40 yes is a jump from that......anyways i am impress with the spendor D7.2 and 9.2 it does everything better than dynaudio my own opinion i haven't heard of the confidence 20 though even there's one on demo.....i also owned a lot of speakers all different sound signature Focal,Bowers and Wilkins, PMC, KEF and Dynaudio so i won't get bored

48121 - 48140 of 48195 Posts