AVS Forum banner

48161 - 48172 of 48172 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thanks @Garman, I agree more wpc doesn't mean better sound. I have tested both Atom and M10 with Special 40 and I wasn't satisfied with what I heard...maybe because I also heard XS3 or Pier Audio with them.
I am not sure I understand your statement "But looking at the Special 40 being at 6 ohms that something with more juice is in order." What does 6 ohms means and how that plays with the amplification?
If the amp watts is rated @8ohms, then if your speaker is lower impedance, it will request more watts from the amp. Double in ideal amp if going to 4ohm.
This can be ‘uncomfortable’ for the amp resulting in clipping or overheat. Mostly only account for volume going to wide open.

More important i think, you require a bit more juicy amp, is the low sensitivity of the special 40 ( 86db) but measured even lower by reviewers.

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
Dan1331: If you tested the Atom and M10, this direction is the same and I would steer clear of it and look for a good used piece with more juice. Musical Fidelity A5 is a good bet even the A3.5 much older Analog units but built to last, or even some good used Hegel gear.. depending on where you're located and what is available.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Bought my first pair of Dynaudio speakers today, though it'll be probably 6 months or more before I hear them. ;)

I got a pair of used (said to be 80 hours or less) LYD-5, shipped to my brother in North Carolina for $600. Mint condition, not a mark on them and I trust the seller as I've bought from him before. My brother should have them Monday, for use as near-field monitors on his digital music workstation. The XLR inputs is just what he needed.

I'll visit there perhaps in the early spring to see if he moved them to his main studio system and kicked the KEF Q300's I sent him a couple years ago to the curb. :giggle:

Reactions: yonson

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
After a lot of soul searching, I have decided I might jump on-board with the new earbuds.They might be just what I need at work while running my machine, and wandering around the shop. Plus, it keeps me in the Dyn mix, and the right to post here occasionally.👀

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
After a lot of soul searching, I have decided I might jump on-board with the new earbuds.They might be just what I need at work while running my machine, and wandering around the shop. Plus, it keeps me in the Dyn mix, and the right to post here occasionally.👀
Curious, what machine do you run? I run several, including a CNC lathe and a couple different CNC milling machines in a prototype shop of an international medical device manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Curious, what machine do you run? I run several, including a CNC lathe and a couple different CNC milling machines in a prototype shop of an international medical device manufacturer.
Hi Ken, I run a Toshiba BTH CNC Boring mill, like this one.
D695D066-5C1F-49F3-85DD-21DF099B7394.jpeg

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Hi Ken, I run a Toshiba BTH CNC Boring mill, like this one.
I've run machines that big (and larger) before. Lotta fun! We've got a Haas Super MiniMill2 w/2-axis trunnion, a Trak DPM-3 bed mill for quick jobs, a Trak SX1630 lathe, and a spanking new Brother M140X2. That one is still on the implementation curve, lots to learn about its turning and milling capabilities, programming with hyperMILL 2020.

Reactions: no quarter

·
Registered
255 Posts

Just remember that you are buying another manufacturers product that they are marketing with the Dynaudio name. If I were going to spend anything near that, I would just buy Apple AirPods.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I've run machines that big (and larger) before. Lotta fun! We've got a Haas Super MiniMill2 w/2-axis trunnion, a Trak DPM-3 bed mill for quick jobs, a Trak SX1630 lathe, and a spanking new Brother M140X2. That one is still on the implementation curve, lots to learn about its turning and milling capabilities, programming with hyperMILL 2020.
I use Lemoine software on my machine, the guys on the 3-D machines use Work NC. I also cut 3-D now and then, but we mostly do 2-D work on the B-mills.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Just remember that you are buying another manufacturers product that they are marketing with the Dynaudio name. If I were going to spend anything near that, I would just buy Apple AirPods.
Yeah, I read a couple of articles on them, Dyn “tuned” them, but they are built by Oppo. I don’t think they have even hit the market yet, could be a real gem.😉

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Will any wireless IEMs be made available in the US by Christmas?
I don’t know - keep in mind this is an Oppo product, with our cooperation - logistically, it is not a Dynaudio product. Similar to how a car with Dynaudio sound is not a Dynaudio car :) In other words, I can’t give any insight to product details or logistics, you will have to contact Oppo.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yeah, I read a couple of articles on them, Dyn “tuned” them, but they are built by Oppo. I don’t think they have even hit the market yet, could be a real gem.
Just hope Dynaudio will remain focus on high end speakers, and they do not get lost in al kind of plastic toys and stuff wherever the company owners can can put a Dyn label on.

48161 - 48172 of 48172 Posts