AVS Forum banner

51041 - 51060 of 51251 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have the 2 C4 crates and the Evidence center crate (which is about the exact same size) in one of my spare bedrooms (along with boxes for all my other equipment), they take up the majority of the room and closet, but I don't use that room for anything but storage anyway so no big deal, I'd rather keep the crates than have to move the speakers without them if I ever decide to move or sell them...

·
Registered
49 Posts
That’s more than i payed new. What retail in $ there?
retail is $7000 (I think) and 500 for stand 20 and another 80 for plate, I think. but some wiggle room is usually do-able. I think the pair on agon is basically what he paid, but throw in shipping, probably can still pick up a pair for a bit less. I've been waiting for a pair and as I drove past my dealer, I did see a Dynaudio box sitting outside, so that may. be it, but I didn't stop and later, only big tv's were still in front of the store

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yep it is out now--good review but simple as this magazine stays away from the more nerdy stuff.
darn, I keep going to the bookstore but they still only have the January issue and it's in the Feb. issue. But I think the dealer may have my speakers - I did see at least one Dynaudio box sitting out front of the store. Small shop, so deliveries take some manoeuvring to get into the store

·
Registered
391 Posts
There is a listing on Audiogon for a pair of C2's. The guy will only sell locally, because he doesn't have the crates. $4k is the lowest price I've ever seen advertised for C2's. It's a great deal for anyone close in Cali.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think we've known since the day it was announced that the Special 40 uses a Focus-level cabinet with Focus-level crossover but with higher end drivers. Better crossover parts are more expensive.

For the sake of argument, let's assume Danny's $300 crossover cost him $150. If Dynaudio were to include the same in the Special 40, it would likely raise the price by $750-1000.
It's hard for me to imagine that Dynaudio didn't try various slopes and crossover points before settling where they did. Danny is lowering the crossover point of both drivers, and changing the slope on the tweeter. Dynaudio could have done that with a tiny increase in cost if they felt it would be a better option. I'm sure there is a reason why they didn't feel it made sense. My assumption is that they thought staying in phase was more important than decreasing a small bump around 1k.

·
Registered
201 Posts
darn, I keep going to the bookstore but they still only have the January issue and it's in the Feb. issue. But I think the dealer may have my speakers - I did see at least one Dynaudio box sitting out front of the store. Small shop, so deliveries take some manoeuvring to get into the store
You can get it on-line in digital format. Just go the magazine website.

·
Premium Member
7,042 Posts
It's hard for me to imagine that Dynaudio didn't try various slopes and crossover points before settling where they did. Danny is lowering the crossover point of both drivers, and changing the slope on the tweeter. Dynaudio could have done that with a tiny increase in cost if they felt it would be a better option. I'm sure there is a reason why they didn't feel it made sense. My assumption is that they thought staying in phase was more important than decreasing a small bump around 1k.
It's because Danny is in the forefront of speaker design and Dynaudio clearly have no idea what they're doing.:)

·
Registered
653 Posts
And perhaps that bump is cabinet induced/excited.The bump is still somewhat present even in his “after” model. Maybe his “no res” would help if he ever built and tested and listened instead of only using simulations.
Initially I was intrigued by his videos and then it was quick to see what he was doing and what his objective was. I then disconnected in most cases because he cannot see past his own priorities to see if it aligns with that of others.

·
Registered
689 Posts
And perhaps that bump is cabinet induced/excited.The bump is still somewhat present even in his “after” model. Maybe his “no res” would help if he ever built and tested and listened instead of only using simulations.
Initially I was intrigued by his videos and then it was quick to see what he was doing and what his objective was. I then disconnected in most cases because he cannot see past his own priorities to see if it aligns with that of others.
Danny knows loudspeaker design and has made a name for himself doing crossover design work for others. Nevertheless, his motivation behind doing these videos is to sell crossover upgrades, so naturally he's going to talk down the stock performance in order to make owners feel like they have a flawed product that he can fix. In this particular case, he made a different tradeoff than Dynaudio's designer did. Dynaudio changed the yoke for the Esotar 40 to lower the tweeter's resonant frequency, and Danny took advantage of the low fs by using a lower crossover point. He achieved a little better on-axis response and suppressed that 1.1 KHz resonance a little bit, but he made the horizontal dispersion a little bit worse. It's hard to say whether he made the response at the listening position better or worse because it will be room dependent. He may have reduced the power handling of the speaker a little bit as well.

He was unnecessarily critical of the speaker in general though, which is a bit of a turn-off. It's a $3000 speaker but he talks like he expects a top of the line SOTA piece for that price.

He also didn't provide the details of his crossover design. He only talked about a few highlights. I'm not expecting him to post a schematic, but did he even say what crossover frequency and slopes he chose?

LOL! Most articles are fluff, they trying to get you to buy something! ;)
Some reviews are more informative than others, but Hi-Fi+ reviews are rarely more than fluff. Every product I've owned has weaknesses, but I've yet to read a Hi-Fi+ review of a product I owned that identified any of them.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Never mind

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Danny knows loudspeaker design and has made a name for himself doing crossover design work for others. Nevertheless, his motivation behind doing these videos is to sell crossover upgrades, so naturally he's going to talk down the stock performance in order to make owners feel like they have a flawed product that he can fix. In this particular case, he made a different tradeoff than Dynaudio's designer did. Dynaudio changed the yoke for the Esotar 40 to lower the tweeter's resonant frequency, and Danny took advantage of that by using a lower crossover point. He achieved a little better on-axis response and suppressed that 1.1 KHz resonance a little bit, but he made the horizontal dispersion a little bit worse. It's hard to say whether he made the response at the listening position better or worse because it will be room dependent. He may have reduced the power handling of the speaker a little bit as well.

He was unnecessarily critical of the speaker in general though, which is a bit of a turn-off. It's a $3000 speaker but he talks like he expects a top of the line SOTA piece for that price.

Some reviews are more informative than others, but Hi-Fi+ reviews are rarely more than fluff. Every product I've owned has weaknesses, but I've yet to read a Hi-Fi+ review of a product I owned that identified any of them.
I was being sarcastic, but I agree with you. ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, the bookstore finally got the February issue of hi-fi + today, and it's no wonder some months I can't even find a copy in the store - they had two whole copies and so I bought half the supply for the month on the very first day. Granted did not expect much of a review, so was not disappointed , but I found it to be a rather strange review. Most of the review spoke of Dynaudio's history and business. I had hope to at least get some idea of optimum placement or how much space is needed around them. Instead found out they sound " sweet in a good way" and have a large sound-stage. ~Sighs~, so I'll keep waiting for a pair to show up at the dealer, which I do plan to purchase and I'll take my chances.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I’m split on the S40, personally I love the speaker 90% of the time but it’s not great or even good off axis and there are other issues with it and I’ve lived with it for two years. Someone recently said it’s not a perfect speaker but it is a magical speaker and I’ll definitely second that. That said to think it can’t be improved upon is just silly, Otto has said many times with anniversary edition speakers they take certain liberties with the design, while they do some things great there may be some things left on the table. For instance the box does have some unwanted resonances but I with the port chuffing was also addressed, perhaps that was more than difficult based on the physical dimensions of the box. Anyway, maybe I’ll contact ASR and GR Research to see if the three of us are willing to to do some testing. Lastly I’ll say the knee jerk aversion to peer review is in my opinion unhealthy to audio hi fi and furthermore any discipline in general, some of the responses here are almost cultish.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just messaged ASR and GR-Research and offered to put my money where my mouth is. Honestly I doubt Otto would even say the S40 cannot be improved upon, it’s just difficult at the price they’re offered at. Anyway I bet someone calls my bluff and my beautiful Special 40’s sit where where they are.

51041 - 51060 of 51251 Posts