AVS Forum banner

51701 - 51720 of 51962 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
richb51: Local dealer in my town use to carry Aerial and I have had a chance to compare them with some Dyn's I had before they decided not to carry them anymore. Very good speakers but not in the same boat with most Dynaudio in my opinion. Listen for yourself order a pair from Audio Advice, I am getting those ads as well, hopefully, they don't have a huge restocking fee, or you can just resell the pair you don't like as much, I have gone that route before. Frankly, I think some Dyn's are a bargain, especially the Special 40's right now and a few others.
I've no plans to change (at least for a few years -never say never) speakers. It was and is still just a matter of curiosity. Also, I vaguely remembered hearing good things about the aerial speakers and then nothing until being reminded about them from the ads.

Reactions: Suboctave

·
Registered
206 Posts
Does Dyn have anything past or present that offers the muscle & clarity of the Contour 20 but with a tad more sparkle? If not a bookshelf, a small-to-medium tower might suffice. Asking for a friend who had a chance to hear my Contours over the weekend.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Haha. Can I give him your # so you can pass along the price. :D:p How bout something in the 3k and under range?
Mine were close to 3k:cool::p. Ok, granted that was for each speaker;).

Reactions: ToddDavid

·
Registered
588 Posts
Does Dyn have anything past or present that offers the muscle & clarity of the Contour 20 but with a tad more sparkle? If not a bookshelf, a small-to-medium tower might suffice. Asking for a friend who had a chance to hear my Contours over the weekend.
C1 mk2 / platinum or Sapphire

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Special 40's come to mind in the price range he is looking for.... A great speaker for the money!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Interestingly, the Contour 20 digs down to an impressive 39 Hz, while the C1 only hits 45. C20’s go to 42.

How is the Confidence 20 notably larger than Contour 20 but weighs a pound less?
Specifications don't say much.

Confidence 30
Frequency response (± 3 dB): 38Hz–22kHz

Contour 20(i)
Frequency response (± 3 dB): 39Hz–23kHz

Do you really think that their bass performance is comparable? ;)

Reactions: dynfan

·
Registered
206 Posts
Special 40's come to mind in the price range he is looking for.... A great speaker for the money!
I’ve watched a few comparison videos [like the one below], and it seems like the S40’s don’t match the Contour 20’s grunt. I know that they put out surprising bass for their size, but can they truly masquerade as small floorstanders like Contour 20’s can? My buddy doesn’t want to sacrifice anything on the low end.

Contour 20 is a significantly larger speaker than S40 and weighs twice as much.

·
Registered
906 Posts
So, you are saying that your buddy wants better speakers than Contour 20s which cost less than Contour 20s? :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Specifications don't say much.

Confidence 30
Frequency response (± 3 dB): 38Hz–22kHz

Contour 20(i)
Frequency response (± 3 dB): 39Hz–23kHz

Do you really think that their bass performance is comparable? ;)
Fair point.... but then I guess the same could be applied to Special 40 vs Contour 20 where S40 is 41 Hz to Contour 20’s 39 Hz, even though C20 has a larger driver and significantly larger volume.
If Contour 20 is listed at 1 Hz shy of Confidence 30, then that should attest to just how strong the Contour 20’s low end is no matter how you slice it, no?

Case in point, prior to my Contour 20’s, I was running a Y-splitter out of my mains and connecting 2 pairs of speakers to each, running 1 pair as my fronts and the other as front wides. It actually works well for home theater that way if you want greater dynamics & impact but are limited to bookshelfs. I was using Focus 20 XD for my fronts & Excite X18 for front wides. What I immediately noticed when switching to Contour 20 is that they put out as much as or more slam than the other 2 combined, and I no longer needed front wides any more.

·
Registered
206 Posts
So, you are saying that your buddy wants better speakers than Contour 20s which cost less than Contour 20s? :)
:D I’ll pass the message along that he’s screwed.

I wasn’t sure if it was a price thing or not, just like how Emits have more sparkle than the higher priced Excites, w/o sacrificing clarity.

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
5,281 Posts

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
So just have him pick up some Contour 20’s and this?
Or your buddy can pick up an integrated amp with DIRAC or other EQ built in and dial in everything to preference.

Reactions: ToddDavid

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
No idea dude, call them up.

51701 - 51720 of 51962 Posts