AVS Forum banner

18061 - 18080 of 51962 Posts

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Hey everyone; in the spirit of the season, I wanted to give the Dyn group a little heads-up that I will be listing a very good NAIM Nait XS-2 IA on AVS soon. It was part of a 3-IA shoot-out at the CD household, and was edged-out by the $6500 Conrad Johnson CA-200; so it can hold its head high, lol.

Even then, it was likely a matter of speaker matching and system preference. With my new Harbeths, I preferred the C-J...but with something else, I could see the NAIM being an excellent match. Especially something rumored to be pretty clean and neutral; like the Excite and new Focus line comes to mind. I can certainly see why NAIM and Dyn are thought to be a nice pairing...as I'm sure Dean and George can confirm.

This unit is near new; though I'm the 2nd-owner, it is only about 4 months old (the first owner immediately traded-up to NAIM separates, and you know my story, lol). Make a wonderful gift to yourself; and the little woman doesn't even need to know, lol. PM me if interested.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1446355/naim-nait-xs-2-l-k-near-mint

·
Registered
4,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18060#post_22722207

Hey everyone; in the spirit of the season, I wanted to give the Dyn group a little heads-up that I will be listing a very good NAIM Nait XS-2 IA on AVS soon. It was part of a 3-IA shoot-out at the CD household, and was edged-out by the $6500 Conrad Johnson CA-200; so it can hold its head high, lol.

Even then, it was likely a matter of speaker matching and system preference. With my new Harbeths, I preferred the C-J...but with something else, I could see the NAIM being an excellent match. Especially something rumored to be pretty clean and neutral; like the Excite and new Focus line comes to mind. I can certainly see why NAIM and Dyn are thought to be a nice pairing...as I'm sure Dean and George can confirm.

This unit is near new; though I'm the 2nd-owner, it is only about 4 months old (the first owner immediately traded-up to NAIM separates, and you know my story, lol). Make a wonderful gift to yourself; and the little woman doesn't even need to know, lol. PM me if interested.

Someone with Dyns should jump on this. The Nait XS is an outstanding integrated and very big bang for the buck.

I wonder how the XS might have stood it's ground against the C-J if you had added a Flatcap XS?

·
Registered
11,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18060#post_22722291

Someone with Dyns should jump on this. The Nait XS is an outstanding integrated and very big bang for the buck.

I wonder how the XS might have stood it's ground against the C-J if you had added a Flatcap XS?

Dean, fwiw...had this unit been staying with me, I most certainly would have looked into the excellent option of adding external power/capicitance (akin to an Octave BlackBox I believe). I find the NAIM units to be quite expensive (although, like most kit...there are bargains to be had on the used market), and heard quite good things about the units from Teddy Pardo, at a fraction of the cost; often refered to as TeddyCaps http://teddypardo.com/Products/Power%20Supplies/PowerSuppliesForNaim.html

Ever had a chance to compare?

·
Registered
4,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18060#post_22722323

Dean, fwiw...had this unit been staying with me, I most certainly would have looked into the excellent option of adding external power/capicitance (akin to an Octave BlackBox I believe). I find the NAIM units to be quite expensive (although, like most kit...there are bargains to be had on the used market), and heard quite good things about the units from Teddy Pardo, at a fraction of the cost; often refered to as TeddyCaps http://teddypardo.com/Products/Power%20Supplies/PowerSuppliesForNaim.html

Ever had a chance to compare?

No, I've never had a TeddyCap. When I got my NAC202 I bought a Flatcap XS to power it, but never even connected it. I went straight to a HiCap2 and a NAPSC instead.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Looks awesome Bro!

·
Registered
643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18060#post_22725589

Looks awesome Bro!
Thanks Callas!
 It's sounding awesome too!

Still haven't really tested out the center yet, just going to run it in all channel stereo overnight with just the amp for the center turned on until Saturday afternoon. I'll run Audyessy Pro and start working on the stack of unwatched blu's that I've accumulated while I didn't have a center. Thinking of watching The Dark Knight Returns first. I may have to rearrange things a bit depending on what position the 5.4's measure the best in, hopefully I won't have to.

How was Batman on your system?

·
Registered
4,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18060#post_22725613

Thanks Callas!
 It's sounding awesome too!

Still haven't really tested out the center yet, just going to run it in all channel stereo overnight with just the amp for the center turned on until Saturday afternoon. I'll run Audyessy Pro and start working on the stack of unwatched blu's that I've accumulated while I didn't have a center. Thinking of watching The Dark Knight Returns first. I may have to rearrange things a bit depending on what position the 5.4's measure the best in, hopefully I won't have to.

How was Batman on your system?

Running it overnight for a few days would be good to help break in the drivers and get going. Im sure once you have the system calibrated it will be a whole other story. Im sure you have plenty of blu-rays to run thru and just as much music to mess with to keep you busy for a few days to say the least.

Batman was good. I need to rewatch it tho. The first time I thought there were some great scenes that tested the system well, but there were some scenes that I thought just came up a little short of spectacular, and its not that my system couldnt have dealt with those scenes but just that the mix wasnt there for those scenes. But Ive only seen the movie once, so maybe if I watch it again I could feel differently, but you'd have to let me know if you felt there was a scene or two that could have been mixed better. Cant wait to know what you think of your system and the way it handles movies, especially the center channel.

·
Registered
643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18060#post_22725644

Running it overnight for a few days would be good to help break in the drivers and get going. Im sure once you have the system calibrated it will be a whole other story. Im sure you have plenty of blu-rays to run thru and just as much music to mess with to keep you busy for a few days to say the least.

Batman was good. I need to rewatch it tho. The first time I thought there were some great scenes that tested the system well, but there were some scenes that I thought just came up a little short of spectacular, and its not that my system couldnt have dealt with those scenes but just that the mix wasnt there for those scenes. But Ive only seen the movie once, so maybe if I watch it again I could feel differently, but you'd have to let me know if you felt there was a scene or two that could have been mixed better. Cant wait to know what you think of your system and the way it handles movies, especially the center channel.
The 5.4's are digging much deeper than I thought they would. Just kind of threw them in place to start, I'm sure playing with the positioning a bit I can get them measuring better before any eq. Looks like I might want to try out the port plugs and see if it'll tame the bass a bit.

Forgot to save the first graph so I could overlay them, I think you'll get the point though.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18060#post_22725689

The 5.4's are digging much deeper than I thought they would. Just kind of threw them in place to start, I'm sure playing with the positioning a bit I can get them measuring better before any eq. Looks like I might want to try out the port plugs and see if it'll tame the bass a bit.

wow, the bass jumps up from 20-100hz quite a bit. Im surprised with all those acoustic treatments that you have that much room gain, but I guess it could be the size of the room also, being that is smaller then the other room they will eventually go into. were you expecting that much room gain? probably not. Time to bump some music, sade or deadmau5 let that 20 hz rock. im not surprised given the response the 110s were giving to 30 hz.

·
Registered
643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18060#post_22725726

wow, the bass jumps up from 20-100hz quite a bit. Im surprised with all those acoustic treatments that you have that much room gain, but I guess it could be the size of the room also, being that is smaller then the other room they will eventually go into. were you expecting that much room gain? probably not. Time to bump some music, sade or deadmau5 let that 20 hz rock. im not surprised given the response the 110s were giving to 30 hz.
These speakers are totally overkill for this room but are much more appropriately sized for the the other side of the basement. That was decision that I'll have to live with for the next 6-7 months though, didn't want to under buy and want to switch them out when things get moved.

I pretty much knew about the big time room gain down low, that's how I get the strong response down to 10hz with the subs. The eq does flatten it out nicely and gives a much smoother response, not boomie like you might think. It can still be improved on but that's going to have to wait for the move. You should see the response without all the panels and bass traps, it's really bad.

Give me a minute and I'll try out the port plugs, see if that tames the bass at all.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18060#post_22725427

My Contour 5.4's and SCX have arrived!

Loving them so far.
S5.4s! Cool. I would love the hear those, but they might overwhelm my room. The S3.4s seem to be just about right.

Are these new? If so, you have quite some breaking in to do.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Anyone has experience with Dyn Ocos? I've never known they existed. Care to share your experience/impression (long/short term) if you have them and which Dyn speakers you hook them up with? Thanks.

·
Registered
11,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzhtoo  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18060#post_22727952

Anyone has experience with Dyn Ocos? I've never known they existed. Care to share your experience/impression (long/short term) if you have them and which Dyn speakers you hook them up with? Thanks.

Khin, I almost had Mick twist me a pair! FWIW...it's not terribly expensive; but I don't know anything, first hand, beyond that.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzhtoo  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18060#post_22727952

If you do a search on this thread I'm pretty sure the Occos cable was discussed once before, and not too long ago.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18060#post_22725741

These speakers are totally overkill for this room but are much more appropriately sized for the the other side of the basement. That was decision that I'll have to live with for the next 6-7 months though, didn't want to under buy and want to switch them out when things get moved.

I pretty much knew about the big time room gain down low, that's how I get the strong response down to 10hz with the subs. The eq does flatten it out nicely and gives a much smoother response, not boomie like you might think. It can still be improved on but that's going to have to wait for the move. You should see the response without all the panels and bass traps, it's really bad.

Give me a minute and I'll try out the port plugs, see if that tames the bass at all.

Congrats! I said it when you got it but an uptight mod in another thread who can't spell deleted the post almost instantly. I think he was going off Callas previous posts. Some seriously uptight people online. Get off the computer once in awhile and live life instead of hiding behind a screen/power tripping. You ready to buy my Sapphires? You have overtaken me on changing up ht equipment drastically. Lets keep it going!! Buy my speakers! Haha

·
Registered
643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmf  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18060#post_22730889

Congrats! I said it when you got it but an uptight mod in another thread who can't spell deleted the post almost instantly. I think he was going off Callas previous posts. Some seriously uptight people online. Get off the computer once in awhile and live life instead of hiding behind a screen/power tripping. You ready to buy my Sapphires? You have overtaken me on changing up ht equipment drastically. Lets keep it going!! Buy my speakers! Haha
Thanks Sean!

I'm really enjoying them so far and think my days of switching gear out at a fast pace have come to an end. I have a couple of additions I'd like to make over time but no more drastic changes. Although I have said that before haven't I?

It's vary unfortunate you seem to have become a target for certain people.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18060#post_22730994

Thanks Sean!

I'm really enjoying them so far and think my days of switching gear out at a fast pace have come to an end. I have a couple of additions I'd like to make over time but no more drastic changes. Although I have said that before haven't I?

It's vary unfortunate you seem to have become a target for certain people.

Well if Sapphires are in your future let me know. I'm really in no hurry to sell them and I'll be fine if I do keep them. There is a scenario that tempts me if I can sell them to a private party, but other than that I don't care. I'm going to buy a few things here and there ht related, but mainly paying off bills and fixing up the house is my main concern right now. I figure come spring I'll have a major home theater itch to go all out again.

·
Registered
643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18060#post_22726017

S5.4s! Cool. I would love the hear those, but they might overwhelm my room. The S3.4s seem to be just about right.

Are these new? If so, you have quite some breaking in to do.
Thanks Racetripper!

The SCX was new and the 5.4's were trade ins that I bought from Next Level Audio. So only the center needs any break in.

So far the 5.4's don't overwhelm the smaller room that I've got them in, I do prefer a bigger sound so they work perfectly for me so far.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18060#post_22732464

Thanks Racetripper!

The SCX was new and the 5.4's were trade ins that I bought from Next Level Audio. So only the center needs any break in.

So far the 5.4's don't overwhelm the smaller room that I've got them in, I do prefer a bigger sound so they work perfectly for me so far.

My S3.4s are in a 11'x17' room. I wanted a bigger sound for classical, which is why traded up from the S1.4s. Enjoy your S5.4s. I have no doubt they sound fantastic.

18061 - 18080 of 51962 Posts