AVS Forum banner

18641 - 18660 of 48079 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18630#post_22982440

That's funny; because Jax has owned 2 of the 3 of those speakers...within the last week!

That guy gets 2 things right though: comparing Dyn and Harbeth, is like comparing apples and celery; not even the same animal. And...Harbeth has midrange to die for. I know some people think it's just because there's nothing else...no lows, no highs; but I think there's more to it than that.
I know that's why I included the link

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all,

Picked up my X12s last weekend. I hooked them up to the family room system since my amp is still not in. Out of the box they are just amazing! My wife and I spent hours just listening to music. Also Idecided to go big with the sub and got the REL T-7. I figure I can always ease off the gain with the bass, but with the T-5 I wasn't sure if it was enough.

Anyway for those who are looking the REL goes very well with the Dynaudio X12.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18630#post_22978325

My next upgrade is on the way. No, not a pair of C2s. I bought a Naim NAC282 preamp to replace the NAC202 I have. I should have it later this week.

Congratulations Dean! I have certainly enjoyed my 282 for a number of months now.

I just sent my Hi-Cap in for the DR upgrade and will have it back this week.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio 1  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18630#post_22984298

Congratulations Dean! I have certainly enjoyed my 282 for a number of months now.

I just sent my Hi-Cap in for the DR upgrade and will have it back this week.

How much did the DR upgrade cost, and how long did it take. I am interested in doing the DR upgrade, but I have no way to power my 282 while the HC is away.

I have thought about just waiting until some HC-DRs show up used and getting it that way.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18630#post_22984366

How much did the DR upgrade cost, and how long did it take. I am interested in doing the DR upgrade, but I have no way to power my 282 while the HC is away.

I have thought about just waiting until some HC-DRs show up used and getting it that way.

My Hi-Cap was one of the late units produced just prior to the announcement of the 'DR' change. So it fell into the serial number range for the Naim subsidized program. My cost was $424- plus shipping charges, but I believe without the subsidy the cost is about double. Your dealer should be able to help you out with the cost for your unit based on the serial number.

I did not want the down time either, but decided to deal with it and take advantage of the upgrade. My total down time including shipping, which in my case is about 3-business days each direction, will be slightly less than 3-weeks.

Considering that the current power supplies being produced with the 'DR' change are not much more than the prior version I question if the upgrade is worthwhile if not receiving the subsidized price from Naim. If I were not able to take part in that program I most likely would have waited and purchased a new Hi-Cap DR as spending money on the upgrade does not really add value.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio 1  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18630#post_22985156

My Hi-Cap was one of the late units produced just prior to the announcement of the 'DR' change. So it fell into the serial number range for the Naim subsidized program. My cost was $424- plus shipping charges, but I believe without the subsidy the cost is about double. Your dealer should be able to help you out with the cost for your unit based on the serial number.

I did not want the down time either, but decided to deal with it and take advantage of the upgrade. My total down time including shipping, which in my case is about 3-business days each direction, will be slightly less than 3-weeks.

Considering that the current power supplies being produced with the 'DR' change are not much more than the prior version I question if the upgrade is worthwhile if not receiving the subsidized price from Naim. If I were not able to take part in that program I most likely would have waited and purchased a new Hi-Cap DR as spending money on the upgrade does not really add value.

That all makes sense to me. It may make more sense to just buy a new one and sell mine on AGon.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18630#post_22983402

I know that's why I included the link

OIC; duh.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Posted this in the Denon AVP A1HDCI section as well... Thinking of upgrading my HT amp using the Denon connected to ATI 1505 which drive Dynaudio Focus 220 MKII, Focus 200 C and Audience 42 surrounds. Other pieces in the system, Oppo BDP-105, SVS PB-13 Ultra, XBOX 360, Logitech Squeezebox and Directv HD DVR. I have a separate 2 channel system so this is used mostly for TV/movies, infrequent gaming and only occasional music. Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btscott  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18630#post_22986912

Posted this in the Denon AVP A1HDCI section as well... Thinking of upgrading my HT amp using the Denon connected to ATI 1505 which drive Dynaudio Focus 220 MKII, Focus 200 C and Audience 42 surrounds. Other pieces in the system, Oppo BDP-105, SVS PB-13 Ultra, XBOX 360, Logitech Squeezebox and Directv HD DVR. I have a separate 2 channel system so this is used mostly for TV/movies, infrequent gaming and only occasional music. Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

that would be an awesome system. the dyns will ask for juice so that amp should be a great addition. fantastic setup.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18630#post_22992314

that would be an awesome system. the dyns will ask for juice so that amp should be a great addition. fantastic setup.
\

Thank you and sorry.. I guess I should clarify. I have an ATI 1505 and was looking to upgrade it to something a little more powerful and better. Looking for suggestions. Thanks.

·
Banned
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btscott  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18630#post_22992551

\

Thank you and sorry.. I guess I should clarify. I have an ATI 1505 and was looking to upgrade it to something a little more powerful and better. Looking for suggestions. Thanks.

Did you know that when Home Theater Magazine reviewed the Salon2, Revel (Kevin Voecks) told them to use the ATI 150wpc amp?

So I think the AT1505 should work just fine with your speakers.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I know one of the engineers that worked on the ATI 1500 series amps and, he had said...the ATI 1500 amp is a killer amp...better than many costing 3 times as much. It is well-underated in power handling, and the overall design is clean.

I'd keep the amp....without doubt.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18630#post_22993262

Did you know that when Home Theater Magazine reviewed the Salon2, Revel (Kevin Voecks) told them to use the ATI 150wpc amp?

So I think the AT1505 should work just fine with your speakers.

Thank's for the feedback. I just had a look at the article. Power has been the least of my concern as I know the ATI under rates what the 1505 actually puts out. Lately I have been finding the sound to be little too bright and wanted to have a look at some other amps to see if that could be the issue. I haven't had much time to tweak my system to see if I can fix the issue with what I have and I'm also getting my Denon AVP upgraded so will hold off until I get the Audyssey upgrade and see what that does.

Thanks

·
Registered
531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btscott  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18630#post_22994793

Thank's for the feedback. I just had a look at the article. Power has been the least of my concern as I know the ATI under rates what the 1505 actually puts out. Lately I have been finding the sound to be little too bright and wanted to have a look at some other amps to see if that could be the issue. I haven't had much time to tweak my system to see if I can fix the issue with what I have and I'm also getting my Denon AVP upgraded so will hold off until I get the Audyssey upgrade and see what that does.

Thanks

Room treatments?

·
Banned
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btscott  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18630#post_22994793

Thanks

I know everyone thinks differently, but I doubt the ATI amp is bright, forward, warm, or anything in between. It is just completely neutral and accurate.

I have the DENON AVP-A1HD + ATI AT3005, and they are not bright (Audyssey Off).

It may be the room or speaker placement. Or a lot of times, it is just the actual songs that are bright.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhead  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18630#post_22995666

Room treatments?

+1

·
Registered
166 Posts
ATI makes very good amps that, in my experience, mate well with Dynaudio. Personally, unless I wanted to spend five figures or so on a high-end amp, I'd probably stick with the ATI. If I were you I'd upgrade the other parts of my system before I'd upgrade the ATI.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18630#post_22995879

I know everyone thinks differently, but I doubt the ATI amp is bright, forward, warm, or anything in between. It is just completely neutral and accurate.

I have the DENON AVP-A1HD + ATI AT3005, and they are not bright (Audyssey Off).

It may be the room or speaker placement. Or a lot of times, it is just the actual songs that are bright.

Good to hear form someone running a similar system. Appreciate your feedback. I'll play with treatments a bit and see if that helps. BTW, this is not with 2 channel, which always sounds fine. It's the center channel that sounds bright which I didn't notice when auditioning. I know the Dyns and ATI are pretty neutral so can just be the source.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Anyone else, anxious for news about the Contour line? I said...ages ago...that the Contour might be odd man out, in the Dyn offerings. It doesn't have obvious bang-for-the-buck, the way say the Excite line has; and it doesn't have world-class pedigree, the way the Confidence line does. Throw in the re-vamped Focus line...now having the "damn good for the middle" designation, and it leaves the Contour even more in the cold.

Don't get me wrong; as I burned through the entire monitor string, I have come to have fond memories of the S1.4 (and I know, some of our most demanding members...love their 3.4s). But let's face it; I think it's becoming harder and harder to buy...if you're making a choice today.

I've had recently...in private...a debate, about a topic I think is under-discussed and quite relevant, within the would of hi-end audio. The notion of a "show-off" system. Now, I used to think...a "show-off" system, was one put together of all the "top" components; but seemingly, without any thought of synergy and cohesiveness. You know; so that when you demo it for your hi-end friends...or participate in forum chats; you've got, what one friend of mine called, hi-end "street cred"...lol. Certainly no way to criticize a system, that's comprised of all the "best" gear; but sometimes (often times?)...it doesn't exactly sound that great.

And while that's certainly still a definition of a "showy" system...this debate took things one step further. We discussed the nature, of gear that...by virtue of its performance...draws attention to itself; and is "showy" in that way...and whether, ultimately, that is a "good" thing or not.

Someone in this debate, called Dynaudio "show off" speakers (well, in fairness, he was talking specifically about the C1). He didn't mean it in a bad way; moreso, he meant it in a good way...in that, the performance is so good, it wows you and draws attention to itself. My own journey...through the Dyn line, struggling with my room, and now trying Harbeth...has kind of focused around this very issue. Did I find myself...through no fault of my own...focusing on the gear; or was I just relaxing, and listening to and enjoying music.

Anyway...I won't continue the nuances of that debate here; except to bring things back full-circle, to the Contour. In hindsight...and it always being 20/20...I do remember the S1.4, as being a much easier speaker to "live with". With the Focus 140, I found my first love of Dynaudio; but I knew there was more to be had. The Special 25...well, my views on that speaker are well documented...lol. I always thought, if I were ever lucky enough...to climb the mountain, and lay-hands on C1s; I'd be done, and have my pair for life.

But...great (not good) as they were; they do demand your attention, IMO. As we all know, and discuss; they're revealing of kit upstream...they need the right room, etc. I found myself too focused. They have so much potential; such a high ceiling to be gained...I was always searching. Would this cable, this pre-amp, this treatment...really allow me to take advantage, of such a great speaker.

But again; with that much energy dedicated on the system...how much was I paying attention to the music? I've said...I don't mean to paint this as everyone's experience (though I do think more hobbyists have it, than will probably admit or talk about). But I needed to go 180-degrees, and try a system that wasn't "fussy"...or demanded much attention at all. Harbeths are like that. A lot of people think of that, and them, as "boring"...lol; maybe that's one way to look at it. They don't "wow" me; they don't "amaze" me. But is that what I want, when I sit down to listen to music? Or do I want to be "wowed" by Cassandra Wilson, or Led Zeppelin.

I guess they don't have to be mutually exclusive; and like most things, the answer probably lies somewhere in the middle. Do I miss the "wow"? Sure, a little. And we keep coming back to the Contour. Maybe he's not the odd man out; maybe, it's the perfectly balanced speaker in the line? Gives you enough performance, that you're not left wanting; but isn't too "showy", so that you're constantly chasing nirvana instead of listening. But how can anyone buy that speaker, as a choice now? Everything else in the line has gotten a face-lift; and I'd be worried, that if I bought one now...I might have missed an update, that was just around the corner.

Yes; I guess what I'm saying, is I've considered coming back. And that the Contour might be a soft landing spot (someone suggested the Focus 160; and while I'd love to try that model, I will have saved these Stand4s for nothing
). But I can't commit to an "outdated" model. Please Mick; we need us an S1.6 (which I prefer to the simple mkII moniker); or at least word, that it's never going to happen. As I always contended, the Contour would get phased-out. So...Dyn; please ****, or get off the pot!

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Well CD if we are asking dynaudio to revive some speakers or something how about a DM2/6 SAT speaker??? They'd be perfect for the DM/Excite/Focus crowd.

Some of use would love a pair for wall mounting in our HT rooms.

18641 - 18660 of 48079 Posts