AVS Forum banner

18661 - 18680 of 48082 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
New Member Here - There is some wonderful info on the forum!

I came across the avs "Dynaudio Owners Thread" in my search for more info on these speakers that were given to me recently.

I need some help in identifying the speakers below:

I think they might be DM 2/6? Google image search does not have any speakers with such a color scheme. Any info would be most appreciated!

Many Thanks

acasanis.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Dynaudio Acoustics is Dynaudio's studio speakers division. Your speakers may be older studio monitors. What does the back of the speakers look like?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello,

Can someone describe the sonic signature difference between the Focus 140 and 160? I'm a 140 owner and am curious about the "latest" update/upgrade. Since it would most likely be from memory, a simple "warmer" or "cooler" description would suffice for me.

I did hear the new 260, and I thought it much darker (in the particular room).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
anyone know where I can purchase dynaudio monitors or floorstanding speakers online?

no dealers in my area and cant find much online aside from the active monitors.

looking for the dm 2/6 or 2/7 passive monitors in particular

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23001561

But I can't commit to an "outdated" model. Please Mick; we need us an S1.6 (which I prefer to the simple mkII moniker); or at least word, that it's never going to happen. As I always contended, the Contour would get phased-out. So...Dyn; please ****, or get off the pot!

I don't think the Contour 1.4, 3.4 and 5.4 model will get phased out anytime, my personal feeling anyway. We've been thinking the Contour is on it's last legs for the past two years and we neatly explained the Focus will be it's replacement but at the end of the day here they still are and perhaps here they will remain for another year or two maybe. I think Dynaudio rather likes this extended portfolio speaker range ( sort of like Samsung ) and as long as the Contour models sell well, they'll stay. The Contour and Focus lines look and sound differently enough from each other to offer upgrade options within each other ie 1.4 to 260 or 260 to 3.4 or 380 to 5.4 0r 160 to 1.4.

One thing we don't know was why the Confidence and Focus lines were refreshed, if it was a strategic move ( long term plans, line build-up ) or tactical ( falling sales, new competitors ) and we also don't know the sales numbers but if the sales numbers are healthy and the home thetre crowd accepts and enjoys it why fix it, why not save the upgrade for a rainy day.

Frankly I think you should just buy a used pair on audiogon or get a 140 to re-visit that dyne sound. You're obviously a speaker pilgrim, why settle for just one?

·
Registered
11,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23025385

I don't think the Contour 1.4, 3.4 and 5.4 model will get phased out anytime, my personal feeling anyway. We've been thinking the Contour is on it's last legs for the past two years and we neatly explained the Focus will be it's replacement but at the end of the day here they still are and perhaps here they will remain for another year or two maybe. I think Dynaudio rather likes this extended portfolio speaker range ( sort of like Samsung ) and as long as the Contour models sell well, they'll stay. The Contour and Focus lines look and sound differently enough from each other to offer upgrade options within each other ie 1.4 to 260 or 260 to 3.4 or 380 to 5.4 0r 160 to 1.4.

One thing we don't know was why the Confidence and Focus lines were refreshed, if it was a strategic move ( long term plans, line build-up ) or strategic ( falling sales, new competitors ) and we also don't know the sales numbers but if the sales numbers are healthy and the home thetre crowd accepts and enjoys it why fix it, why not save the upgrade for a rainy day.

Frankly I think you should just buy a used pair on audiogon or get a 140 to re-visit that dyne sound. You're obviously a speaker pilgrim, why settle for just one?

I suppose they might take the "can't hurt to keep 'em" approach. Maybe they're more focused on products like the Xeo line.

As for me...as is evidenced by the above post; I'm searching for my place in the hobby these days. Believe it or not, I've never done something so drastic; just swapped-out plenty. But I might hit the reset button, and build anew.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23029261

As for me...as is evidenced by the above post; I'm searching for my place in the hobby these days. Believe it or not, I've never done something so drastic; just swapped-out plenty. But I might hit the reset button, and build anew.

I think you've maxed out your small speakers, time for floor standers, I've often toyed with the idea of small monitors once in a while but after floor standers there's just no going back ( at least for me ) to stand mounts, the size, impact and bass really connects you to the music in a different way.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23032714

I think you've maxed out your small speakers, time for floor standers, I've often toyed with the idea of small monitors once in a while but after floor standers there's just no going back ( at least for me ) to stand mounts, the size, impact and bass really connects you to the music in a different way.

Maybe. Was just reading about the new Venere line from SF. The 2.5 is a good-looking, good-size FS for my room. That, or an S3.4 (if I hear they're not going anywhere).

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23032714

I gotta agree with you on that one. If anything, I could see myself going to a 3-way (Focus? S5.4?) or the C2s, but I won't go back to a monitor, not even the C1s. At least for classical music, there is no contest. I love my S3.4s. I just upgraded my preamp, and now they sound even better.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23032804

Maybe. Was just reading about the new Venere line from SF. The 2.5 is a good-looking, good-size FS for my room. That, or an S3.4 (if I hear they're not going anywhere).
it seems the Venere line from Sonus Faber is the first to be made in China. Seems even Sonus Faber couldn't resist.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafo  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23036356

it seems the Venere line from Sonus Faber is the first to be made in China. Seems even Sonus Faber couldn't resist.

REL is building in China now too. I have a REL Serie T-7 and it's made in China. The only part of my two channel system that is (with the rest being Germany, U.S., England and -- of course -- Denmark).).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just curious if anyone owns or has heard the C2 mkII or new signature. If so, what are they being driven with? And I'd like to hear your impressions of the speaker, in general. Were they better than the C1 or mkI version of the C2? i have mkI C1's and kind of miss my s3.4's.

The C1's are as much as my apt can handle, so thinking about upgrades when house/townhouse time rolls around later this year or next.

I am driving the C1's with a V70SE with a black box. Do you think this would be adequate to drive a pair of C2's? I listen at moderate volumes at most.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHMMMM  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23037736

Just curious if anyone owns or has heard the C2 mkII or new signature. If so, what are they being driven with? And I'd like to hear your impressions of the speaker, in general. Were they better than the C1 or mkI version of the C2? i have mkI C1's and kind of miss my s3.4's.

The C1's are as much as my apt can handle, so thinking about upgrades when house/townhouse time rolls around later this year or next.

I am driving the C1's with a V70SE with a black box. Do you think this would be adequate to drive a pair of C2's? I listen at moderate volumes at most.
I have heard C2 Signature driven with a V70SE at my dealer and it sounded fantastic.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHMMMM  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23037736

I haven't heard the C2 MKII/Sig but did have the original C2's in my home for a demo. At the time they were driven by a Bryston B100SST. The Bryston worked fine. I have since upgraded the the V70SE. The Octave is even better than the Bryston. My speakers at the time were the original C1's and have since upgraded to the C1 Sig. The Sig's sound much better at lower listening levels which gives me the impression they are easier to drive. So I'm sure the V70SE will have no problems with the C2 MKII

That being said I didn't keep the C2's because of my room (12' X 26'). The speakers have to be on the long wall so I was too close to them.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23037942

I haven't heard the C2 MKII/Sig but did have the original C2's in my home for a demo. At the time they were driven by a Bryston B100SST. The Bryston worked fine. I have since upgraded the the V70SE. The Octave is even better than the Bryston. My speakers at the time were the original C1's and have since upgraded to the C1 Sig. The Sig's sound much better at lower listening levels which gives me the impression they are easier to drive. So I'm sure the V70SE will have no problems with the C2 MKII

That being said I didn't keep the C2's because of my room (12' X 26'). The speakers have to be on the long wall so I was too close to them.

How far away did you feel like you need to be from the C2s. In my room (11 x 17) my S3.4 are on the short wall, about 7' apart, and I sit maybe 8-9' away.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23037979

How far away did you feel like you need to be from the C2s. In my room (11 x 17) my S3.4 are on the short wall, about 7' apart, and I sit maybe 8-9' away.
I was at 9' but my back was on the wall and the speakers less than a foot from the wall. What I heard was a 'wall' of sound. A huge vertical soundstage (like I was sitting front row but the stage was 6 ft tall). When I heard them at Tylers I was about 10-12 ft back. The speakers were 4-5 ft in front of the wall and my seat was 7-8 ft from the back wall. Man did they sound good there.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23038061

I was at 9' but my back was on the wall and the speakers less than a foot from the wall. What I heard was a 'wall' of sound. A huge vertical soundstage (like I was sitting front row but the stage was 6 ft tall). When I heard them at Tylers I was about 10-12 ft back. The speakers were 4-5 ft in front of the wall and my seat was 7-8 ft from the back wall. Man did they sound good there.

My front wall has the shelves for my LPs, about 1.5' deep. The S3.4s sit about 2' in front of that. Where I sit 9' away I still have abut 4' behind me. I would love the hear the C2s or S5.4s in my setup. I have the amplifier power for them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I think speakers the size of C2s are realistically the sweet spot for me (at least at this point in time). I'm going to try to buy a place with a room suitable for a listening room so will take into account some of these dimensions.

18661 - 18680 of 48082 Posts