AVS Forum banner

18681 - 18700 of 48079 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23032834

I gotta agree with you on that one. If anything, I could see myself going to a 3-way (Focus? S5.4?) or the C2s, but I won't go back to a monitor, not even the C1s. At least for classical music, there is no contest. I love my S3.4s. I just upgraded my preamp, and now they sound even better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23032804

Maybe. Was just reading about the new Venere line from SF. The 2.5 is a good-looking, good-size FS for my room. That, or an S3.4 (if I hear they're not going anywhere).

RaceTripper I went from the 3.4 to the c1's. The midband of the c1 was cleaner and so was the treble, and the bass of the c1 was surprisingly deep, but in the end I missed the 3.4s' qualities. HOWEVER I also feel that if I started out with c1's and I went to the 3.4 I also feel I would have missed the c1's cleaner midrange and treble and more accurate bass. The mistake for me was trading one set of positive qualities for another without recognising/realising the compromises of the switch. Ideally I should have upgraded either to the Focus 380, 5.4 or c2.

CD, Sonus Faber? Really? Your into the romantic sound now are you?
Somebody as frank as you will always look for fidelity haha SF is too sweet for your personality
You know I speak the truth

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23040663

RaceTripper I went from the 3.4 to the c1's. The midband of the c1 was cleaner and so was the treble, and the bass of the c1 was surprisingly deep, but in the end I missed the 3.4s' qualities. HOWEVER I also feel that if I started out with c1's and I went to the 3.4 I also feel I would have missed the c1's cleaner midrange and treble and more accurate bass. The mistake for me was trading one set of positive qualities for another without recognising/realising the compromises of the switch. Ideally I should have upgraded either to the Focus 380, 5.4 or c2.

Somebody as frank as you will always look for fidelity haha SF is too sweet for your personality

Don't forget I have the Esotar2 tweeters in my S3.4s, so I get a bit of good qualities from both "C" worlds.

But for large scale orchestra music, you just can't knock having the slam of a big cabinet with two mid/bass drivers. A three-way (like S5.4, C4) would be even better. I think my nest step would have to be C2s, but not C1s.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHMMMM  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23037736

Just curious if anyone owns or has heard the C2 mkII or new signature. If so, what are they being driven with? And I'd like to hear your impressions of the speaker, in general. Were they better than the C1 or mkI version of the C2? i have mkI C1's and kind of miss my s3.4's.

vesy astute question re the c2 and amplifiers, I've heard the c2 mk1 with Plinius amps and I loved them ( albeit with a slightly warm treble ), then I heard them with Audio Research amps and hated them, then I heard them with a modwright amp and really really loved em. The c2 for me is definitely better than the c1 in terms of musicality and the speakers imaging was outstanding.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23040663

+1.

Might as well get a McIntosh with that too.

It's like driving an Acura after you've had a BMW.

Reactions: samsung84

·
Registered
2,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23038091

My front wall has the shelves for my LPs, about 1.5' deep. The S3.4s sit about 2' in front of that. Where I sit 9' away I still have abut 4' behind me. I would love the hear the C2s or S5.4s in my setup. I have the amplifier power for them.
Dean your room and set up would be just fine for either the C2's or 5.4's. Just if you do go for the C2's make sure you get the MKII's or Sigs.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23040754

Dean your room and set up would be just fine for either the C2's or 5.4's. Just if you do go for the C2's make sure you get the MKII's or Sigs.
By the time I am ready to upgrade, the C2 IIs should start to show up on the secondhand market.

I'd like to go to a tube phono preamp before I think again about speakers.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18660#post_23040739

+1.

Might as well get a McIntosh with that too.

It's like driving an Acura after you've had a BMW.

Ha; I have to admit...this is pretty funny.

Yes...I've gone a bit "romantic"; I am even trying my first toob amp. IDK guys; I've admitted...I'm a searching audiophile enthusiast these days. I don't poo-poo anything; half the audio world, loves da glass. Are they all wrong? I'm seeing how the other half lives. Part of the journey. The good news is...I've got a bread-crumb trail; so I know my way back.

As for the Venere; they're supposed to be a bit of a departure for SF. But I was really just spit-balling. Good-looking speakers, is all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So I've had the Focus 340's and a 210c for a while now (roughly 9 months) and for two channel music the 340's are awesome, definitely the best speaker I've owned. but have been using a pair of Energy RC-Mini's as rear surrounds for movies. Think it's about time I upraded those and am torn between the Focus 160's or the XEO bookshelves.

Although 160's would be overkill for rear surround speakers for movie/tv/sports watching, there's the fact the 160's would be the better speaker and could be used as fronts if something goes wrong with the 340's, or great quality fronts in another system if needed in the future... whereas the XEO's are wireless which certainly helps for rears, and could also be used as fronts in a smaller system at some point... also price wise they're fairly close to each other, within a few hundred anyway.

So what do you guys think, all Focus in a 5.1 system for surround movie watching... or XEO's as the rears to go along with the Focus front threesome.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I would love to get your opinion on the XEOs if you go that road. The idea of losing my speaker cables I run under an area rug is most appealing.

As far as the Focus line for surrounds they are great. I had the original Focus 220 , Focus Center and Focus 110s for rear. Really nice set-up.

I did finally break down and move to C1s and Confidence Center but kept the 110s for surround as the front three busted the bank but several years later and I still run the 110s and they are excellent for surround even though the front stage are Confidence.

If wires are not an issue I would say go for the Focus monitor in the Focus line. It's too bad they discontinued that little 110 speaker as it was a sweet little surround.

What is MSRP on XEO?

Edit:

I bet even the Excite monitors would work well. I think your rears should be Dynaudio to keep things cohesive but I do not think you are going to get a huge upgrade in rear sound quality as you might think. There is just not enough going on back there. Crowd noise, pans etc. unless you are doing multi-channel audio then the game changes.

Rick

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mr.Softdome - Yeah I hear ya about not much going on in rear channels for movies, that's why I've been content with the Energy's thus far.

I believe the XEO 3's MSRP is $2300, and I can get a pretty good deal on the 160's.

BTW, that Confidence center must be wicked, congrats

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18690#post_23045384

Ha; I have to admit...this is pretty funny.

Yes...I've gone a bit "romantic"; I am even trying my first toob amp. IDK guys; I've admitted...I'm a searching audiophile enthusiast these days. I don't poo-poo anything; half the audio world, loves da glass. Are they all wrong? I'm seeing how the other half lives. Part of the journey. The good news is...I've got a bread-crumb trail; so I know my way back.

As for the Venere; they're supposed to be a bit of a departure for SF. But I was really just spit-balling. Good-looking speakers, is all.

I think it's awesome you are trying some different brands. I love Dynaudio like all here but after years of the same speaker I think it might be fun to cheat on the wife

SF are beautiful speakers and I came dang close to the Cremona's before Confidence. In the end there was a slight veil to Cremona that made me stay with Dynaudio but it sure was fun to experiment. I am also a fan of Vienna Acoustics and think they have the edge over SF. Hard to find now since Magnolia dumped them for B&W.

I am also a bit fascinated with Totem right now. They also have a new monitor I would love to hear. I may go this weekend to check it out. Totem Ember

Oh well.. Good Luck. I appreciate your approach to music and gear.

Rick

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plexihead  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18690#post_23045584

Mr.Softdome - Yeah I hear ya about not much going on in rear channels for movies, that's why I've been content with the Energy's thus far.

I believe the XEO 3's MSRP is $2300, and I can get a pretty good deal on the 160's.

BTW, that Confidence center must be wicked, congrats

Thanks. The Confidence Center is the best I have heard. Truth be told it is what pushed me to the Confidence Line. Had to go with C1s to get to Confidence line financially but well worth it. The Center changed everything.

Rick

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plexihead  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18690#post_23045441

So I've had the Focus 340's and a 210c for a while now (roughly 9 months) and for two channel music the 340's are awesome, definitely the best speaker I've owned. but have been using a pair of Energy RC-Mini's as rear surrounds for movies. Think it's about time I upraded those and am torn between the Focus 160's or the XEO bookshelves.

Although 160's would be overkill for rear surround speakers for movie/tv/sports watching, there's the fact the 160's would be the better speaker and could be used as fronts if something goes wrong with the 340's, or great quality fronts in another system if needed in the future... whereas the XEO's are wireless which certainly helps for rears, and could also be used as fronts in a smaller system at some point... also price wise they're fairly close to each other, within a few hundred anyway.

So what do you guys think, all Focus in a 5.1 system for surround movie watching... or XEO's as the rears to go along with the Focus front threesome.
How are the Xeos going to work with your receiver or pre/pro?

·
Registered
11,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18690#post_23045658

I think it's awesome you are trying some different brands. I love Dynaudio like all here but after years of the same speaker I think it might be fun to cheat on the wife

SF are beautiful speakers and I came dang close to the Cremona's before Confidence. In the end there was a slight veil to Cremona that made me stay with Dynaudio but it sure was fun to experiment. I am also a fan of Vienna Acoustics and think they have the edge over SF. Hard to find now since Magnolia dumped them for B&W.

I am also a bit fascinated with Totem right now. They also have a new monitor I would love to hear. I may go this weekend to check it out. Totem Ember

Oh well.. Good Luck. I appreciate your approach to music and gear.

Rick

Thanks Rick! That makes one of you.

Everyone else thinks I'm nuts.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18690#post_23045756

How are the Xeos going to work with your receiver or pre/pro?
I was wondering that as well. They have a transmitter that can accept a L/R? line in. I suppose you could feed those with the surround L/R pre out from the prepro? Not sure how the level works though.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18690#post_23045782

I was wondering that as well. They have a transmitter that can accept a L/R? line in. I suppose you could feed those with the surround L/R pre out from the prepro? Not sure how the level works though.

Good Questions guys. I would like to understand as well as I was under the impression that this is one of their great selling points (wireless rears). I have an open living room dining room combo and on wall rears don't work as they would be way back in the rear on the dining room wall. I am intrigued by wireless rears. Would be a bit nervous of sound delivery to rear like a lip-sync issue with a pre-pro. How would you adjust sound to rear if issue?

Rick

·
Registered
4,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18690#post_23045769

I have for a long time considered another brand for surrounds. that way i could change them in and out for something different to listen to every now and then. However I think Ill just go with DM2/6s. The Veneers/concerntino domus, totem rainmakers, focal 806s, dali ikon1s, and others ive highly considered.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plexihead  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18690#post_23045441

How do you like the 210C? You could always go with the X12s for surrounds, same as the XEO3 but not wireless.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18690#post_23045769

not me, i think what you're going thru is perfectly natural and funny thing is, it was when I got my first dream speaker, the c1 that I switched brands to Egglestonworks ( wc was kinda cheating since it had an esotar tweeter and morel drivers ).

That didn't last long though and I went back to Dynaudios soon after, I'm now with the c4 and my admiration of the c4 is intense, in my opinion it does nearly everything well and communicates music on both an ntellectual and emotional level, truly awe inspiring speakers.

I don't want to ever replace them although I would like to speaker roll, the only other speaker brands I've found palatable to me in terms of musical presentation were YG Acoustics, Wilson, Egglestonworks, Revel, Adam Audio, Spendor and Naim with the first three my top 3.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18690#post_23045782

It looks like it does have a line in. He should be okay then.

18681 - 18700 of 48079 Posts