·
Registered
510 Posts
Cool pic cd!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18720#post_23061194

Obviously ODD has some game. I need some toob advice; who are the glass-heads in here?

Nevermind; I don't need a show of hands.

So...I have finally taken, my first foray into tubed power. I have a couple of basic questions:

I was going to ask about this blue, gassy haze...with only one of the output tubes; but a little Google seems to have produced a suitable answer ( http://www.thetubestore.com/Blue-Glow#blueglow )

How about this...are 6550s and KT88s, pretty much interchangeable? TIA
Hey CD the blue glow means there is oxygen in the tube. It does NOT mean it's bad. All SED 6550/KT88's tubes have that blue glow. They just can't/didn't evacuate all the air. What tube is it? That being said I did have one SED KT88 with an excessive blue glow and it did arc over. Be careful not to push the volume too high. That's when mine thought it was the 4th of July LOL. Also make sure you bias is within the normal limits.

·
Registered
510 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18720#post_23062082

Hey Jax - still waiting for your review/thoughts of the C1 MKII's.

Will do. Just want the new speaker euphoria to wear off before I give my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18720#post_23063247

Is this an authorized dealer? Is selling this way on audiogon approved by dyn USA? God I hope so. Could it be the nut is finally cracking wide open? Internet selling at discount from authorized dealers? That would be a very big move in the right direction for high end audio....

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-dynaudio-focus-340-piano-black-lacquer-pair-free-shipping-2013-03-09-speakers-19970-millville-de

Do a google search on elegant audio video and look at the better business bureau - Hint they are rated an F

For some reason Avsforums seems to change the link when I submit it

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

·
Registered
11,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18720#post_23063422

Do a google search on elegant audio video and look at the better business bureau - Hint they are rated an F

For some reason Avsforums seems to change the link when I submit it

^^^ Ha; these guys are in my backyard. About 30 miles from my home, and I do business in the Rehoboth Beach, DE area...they're in proximity to...all the time.

My dealer has warned me about them, so I haven't even bothered to check for a B&M, etc. That...combined with the F rating...leads me to believe they are very un-authorized Jax. Keep dreaming (though what do you care...you're at the top of the mountain bro. Oh wait...you want C2s. Me too...maybe; new room a'comin')

·
Registered
510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18720#post_23063512

^^^ Ha; these guys are in my backyard. About 30 miles from my home, and I do business in the Rehoboth Beach, DE area...they're in proximity to...all the time.

My dealer has warned me about them, so I haven't even bothered to check for a B&M, etc. That...combined with the F rating...leads me to believe they are very un-authorized Jax. Keep dreaming (though what do you care...you're at the top of the mountain bro. Oh wait...you want C2s. Me too...maybe; new room a'comin')

It's the principle of the thing. B&M for high end audio is dead.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18720#post_23063811

Jax I want to disagree. Here in the Chicago area we have several high end B&M stores. I don't want them dead either because it makes for an easy return for service if you should need it (either in or out of warranty). I can't imagine sending my Octave back to Germany or the Dyns to Denmark or even the Meridian or Naim back to England. If man made it - it will break and it's not a question of if but when. They also give you the chance to compare products side by side (providing they have the products you want to compare). I mean you can ask on the internet questions regarding sound but you will get both positive and negative answers regarding a component. An example would be the Dyn S25 is fantastic - The C1 is fantastic - but they are 2 very different sounding speakers. Since you have had both the S25's and now the C1's I think you can agree on that statement. Both have good and less desirable qualities when comparing. Personally I would love the punch and slam from the S25's low end coupled with the smoother mids and highs of the C1's. We need more Borderdog type of reviews.

That being said I agree B&M stores are on the decline but we need them. I like everyone loves a huge discount but personally I would rather pay a bit more to keep these stores around and hopefully get some discount..

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
^^^ Well, I think this illustrates the point perfectly; we need both! We need to keep our B&Ms, and what they offer...for guys like ODD; and we need some ID convenience, for guys like Jax.

I know it's probably scary, for the long-established brands of the hi-end...to try it. After all...B&Ms mean an actual guy, that Mick can boss around; and make sure he's not giving away the store.

J/K; I'm sure it's more about protecting territories, and making sure everyone plays by the same rules (and...doesn't give away the store). But I think they've got to try and find a way to make it work. As time passes, it just becomes more and more passe. I'm sure, some still find it to be "charming"; a nice throw-back, to the hi-end they know and love. But you can't count on everyone to feel that way; and we all know things can be the opposite too.

How many sales, do you feel are lost...because some guy was made to feel like at idiot; at one of these B&M salons.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18720#post_23063811

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18720#post_23063512

Like most everything in the Western world, it's dying but I wish it weren't so. I cherish my remaining B&M dealers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
hey guys, need help deciding which dynaudio speaker/monitor pair to get for my room.

my room is about 30 x 18

I will use them primarily for listening. looking for well balanced, non harsh/fatiguing treble. its ok if the treble has some sparkle, but I actually prefer a slight roll off or neutrality on the treble.

good bass presence but not overemphasized.

also might go for floorstanding instead if you think they suit me better. some amp recommendations would also be nice if speakers are passive

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac336  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18720#post_23070814

hey guys, need help deciding which dynaudio speaker/monitor pair to get for my room.

my room is about 30 x 18

I will use them primarily for listening. looking for well balanced, non harsh/fatiguing treble. its ok if the treble has some sparkle, but I actually prefer a slight roll off or neutrality on the treble.

also might go for floorstanding instead if you think they suit me better. some amp recommendations would also be nice if speakers are passive

I think some more info is needed before any good suggestions can be made:

That is a pretty good sized room, so how much bass do you want to fill the room with?

Do you want to try to go with or without a subwoofer?

What is your budget?

·
Registered
42 Posts
no sub

budget is flexible, but trying to keep under 2,000 (no problem with buying used)

don't really want that huge of a bass presence. just good extension and impact., but not too bass heavy. don't really want something that is going to shake the walls at moderate listening volumes.

I was originally looking at the DM2/6, but Im aiming to make this a one time purchase, so figured I might as well go a couple of steps up to keep me satisfied.

or maybe I would be satisfied with the DM 2/6 ?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac336  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18720#post_23072683

no sub

budget is flexible, but trying to keep under 2,000 (no problem with buying used)

don't really want that huge of a bass presence. just good extension and impact., but not too bass heavy. don't really want something that is going to shake the walls at moderate listening volumes.

I was originally looking at the DM2/6, but Im aiming to make this a one time purchase, so figured I might as well go a couple of steps up to keep me satisfied.

Well, I've been pretty impressed with my Audience 82s(you can see them in my avatar pic) in my decent sized bedroom. They are not current models, so you would have to pick them up used. They are rated down to 26Hz and can produce some nice bass slam and impact without a sub. The mids and highs are nice as well, to my ears. The nice thing is that I got them used for $1200, with an original retail price of $2500. They also make a smaller floorstander, Audience 72 and 72SE, which are well thought of. IMO, it's hard to compete in a used speaker with the Audience 82 for ~$1200, if you want a fairly full range Dynaudio.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac336  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18720#post_23072683

no sub

If you're considering monitors why not go for the Focus 110/140/160 used ? Couple of steps up from the DM series. Just be patient if looking on the used market

Best of luck whatever you decide

I've never heard the DM's but as a C1 Sig owner there is no bad sounding Dyn speaker. I have had the Audience 42's in my home for a while as was very impressed especially for it's price point.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac336  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18720#post_23070814

my room is about 30 x 18

Sounds like a Contour to me.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18720#post_23073501

Sounds like a Contour to me.
+1

And used S3.4s are now dipping down into the lower $2K range. I've seen them on Audiogon for $2300.

18721 - 18740 of 48139 Posts