AVS Forum banner

19681 - 19700 of 47985 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,747 Posts
Computer Audio: So who is the guru in this area on here, I have dabbled in it from time to time but found it more of a pain in the ass because there is way too many ways you can do it. Currently using the newest iMac and I have a Macbook Air along with a Mac Mini which I am thinking of using as a music server etc.. Any suggestions on getting the best high resolution audio out of a Mac Mini in a main system? I was thinking of burning everything to Apple Lossless or the highest resolution MP3 and then using some type of Dac. Open to any suggestions, its funny on how everything is shrinking and costing more and how music went from great quality to crap! I mean come on everything is compressed then re-upscaled, I could be wrong but I think MP3s blow ass, especially when you compare it to a SACD. I love it that they have these new wireless devices that are basically stream garbage quality music, off the internet.
Perplexing.


Quote:

Originally Posted by seanmf


That was what I first thought when I first saw the C2s.


I like my tux speakers! They put out a nice refined sonic sound for my ears! LOL I have owed everything up the food chain at Dynaudio, C1,C4s all the Contour line, Focus line, Excite the only thing I have not had is the DM line. C4 were too big for my room.



Just curious if anyone has heard these which would be cool for my computer system..

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/428123.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19680#post_23457061


Computer Audio: So who is the guru in this area on here, I have dabbled in it from time to time but found it more of a pain in the ass because there is way too many ways you can do it. Currently using the newest iMac and I have a Macbook Air along with a Mac Mini which I am thinking of using as a music server etc.. Any suggestions on getting the best high resolution audio out of a Mac Mini in a main system? I was thinking of burning everything to Apple Lossless or the highest resolution MP3 and then using some type of Dac. Open to any suggestions, its funny on how everything is shrinking and costing more and how music went from great quality to crap! I mean come on everything is compressed then re-upscaled, I could be wrong but I think MP3s blow ass, especially when you compare it to a SACD. I love it that they have these new wireless devices that are basically stream garbage quality music, off the internet.
Perplexing.


....

I won't claim to be an expert, but what I use is a QNAP NAS running Logitech Media Server with the UPnP plugin. I use a Mac Mini to rip CDs to FLAC files with XLD, stored on the NAS. I use Metadatics (from the Mac App Store) to edit metadata, since I mostly play classical and the metadata is almost always very screwed up and has to be fixed. I also buy high resolutiion FLAC audio (up to 24/192) online.


That's my digital library. I only stream it, either to a Squeezebox Touch in my office system or to a Naim Audio ND5 XS in my two channel system. I don't even have a CD player for my two channel system, even though I buy CDs. Since I have 24/192 FLAC files I use ethernet for both devices. Using wireless you are limited to 24/96.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19680#post_23457061


Computer Audio: So who is the guru in this area on here

I know a thing or three.



Oh, but...if you're sticking with Apple; I'm not down with the fruit...lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafo  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19680#post_23456095


There is an old review from Stereoplay here, that also has the frequency response of Contour S1.4.

it seems to be one of the more balanced speakers on the market. Frequency response does look

better on axis and that is how I use mine, aimed directly at my head.

http://www.technologyfactory.com/reviews/dynaudio/Contour%20S14.pdf

Don't suppose anyone speaks German?



Thanks for the link, not many reviews of Contour's around... It's kind of the overlooked line...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,001 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19680#post_23457128


I know a thing or three.



Oh, but...if you're sticking with Apple; I'm not down with the fruit...lol

I am all ears, CDLehner and RaceTripper!
Looking at using my MacMini in my two channel system and HT system as it is being moved as I am getting a iMac. I have PC's I have built as well, but I am sick and tired of fixing everyones so I decided to go the Mac route just because I like there OS better lately.



So good Moderate Priced Dacs?


I was thinking of trying one of these, as I would love to have a portable device.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/review-battle-dacs
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/505-meridian-explorer-usb-dac-review/


Thanks man!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19590#post_23436176


Jamesblond: I have had all of those speakers, all very different. The Audience 122 have a wide dispersion rate for a thin speaker and do sound great for HT, so so on music but pretty darn good! The 1.8Mk2 you don't see very often because to me that speaker could play anything well, from hard rock to classical that was one of Dynaudio most diversified speaker at the time. The Contour 3.0 had a ton of base

some times a tad bit too much and the 3.4s were more refined and have a been updated more. All good depending on on how well the speakers were cared for.
DSCN1422.jpg 869k .jpg file
CIMG0740.JPG 1819k .JPG file
MU52H4OA.JPG 45k .JPG file
Hi Garman,

thanks for your reply.

I can't really imagine anyone buying speakers like those and neglecting or abusing them. In the pictures supplied, they look in excellent condition. If I were to buy them, I'd first seriously and critically audition them, bringing my own amp and cables. Of course, my own room will sound different, but that's a gamble I'll have to take, buying stuff second hand. Fortunately, I know a thing or two about loudspeaker technology, audio equipment and sound reproduction in general, so any easy-to-fix defects with the loudspeakers won't scare me. I've rebuilt the crossovers in my 122's with hi-end components and it payed off. It just didn't give me the extra bass extension I wanted, which was to be expected from a relatively compact speaker system.

IMAG0347.jpg 1916k .jpg file


My main concern is that my current amp, a Rotel RSX1067, might not be able to drive the Contour 1.8mkII or 3.0 properly, making the purchase a waste of money. It does a good job with my current power-hungy Elac fs208a however, but the older Dynaudio Contour range is notoriously power hungry. Do you, or anyone else, have experience with these speakers and Rotel gear? The RSX1067 is rated at approximately 120Watt per channel, I use only five channels. I have a very good subwoofer (Adam Sub10 mkII), but prefer to not use it in two channel play back. My room has proven to be acoustically pretty decent (quite an even frequency response across the entire range), without needing many adjustments.


[Edit] Or would it be wiser to just save up and get me a pair of Contour 3.4's? If I am to believe my dealer, they will be replaced by a succeeding new line, some time next year. Meaning that the current Contour line can be had for less. And since money for such endeavors is always a concern...


Thanks!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19680#post_23457784


I am all ears, CDLehner and RaceTripper!
Looking at using my MacMini in my two channel system and HT system as it is being moved as I am getting a iMac. I have PC's I have built as well, but I am sick and tired of fixing everyones so I decided to go the Mac route just because I like there OS better lately.



So good Moderate Priced Dacs?


I was thinking of trying one of these, as I would love to have a portable device.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/review-battle-dacs
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/505-meridian-explorer-usb-dac-review/


Thanks man!

Are you you’re using iTunes on your Macs? If so and you have a HDMI compatible monitor nearby, an Apple TV and a DAC will get you started.

I’m not big into streaming (yet) but the above config works for me, I’m still saving everything as AIFF (old school) and sounds fine by me but that’s with CDs, SACD is another kettle of fish.


The portable DACs smell a bit too much like MP3 and I’m a big believer in power supplies and the electronics responsible for the analogue output, but that’s just me.



Benchmark is still popular
http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac/dac1



Or Bryston
http://www.bryston.com/products/digital_audio/BDA-2.html




And there is always Emotiva, again, the XDA-2.
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xda2



Even this little guy at $60 did a fairly decent job, if you can believe it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19680#post_23457784


I am all ears, CDLehner and RaceTripper!
Looking at using my MacMini in my two channel system and HT system as it is being moved as I am getting a iMac. I have PC's I have built as well, but I am sick and tired of fixing everyones so I decided to go the Mac route just because I like there OS better lately.



So good Moderate Priced Dacs?


I was thinking of trying one of these, as I would love to have a portable device.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/review-battle-dacs
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/505-meridian-explorer-usb-dac-review/


Thanks man!

Garmin, if you want to use the MacMini as the streamer...you'll want to replace the iTunes with another player (you can still rip with iTunes...although I think a program like dBpoweramp does a better job). Streaming with Macs is very popular with 'philes...so there's lots and lots of good software and support; Audirvana, Decibel, Pure Music. I'm sure they all have their fans, and pluses and minuses.


I've never used those others...because they are Mac-centric; but I think JRiver is king of the media-servers right now...and it's now available for Mac. I don't know how "robust" it is for Mac yet; after all, they just started with OSX support. One way or another...here's what you're going to need to do: do a little research, just to see which path feels right for you. Then...pick an approach. You're right; there's lots of ways to skin this cat...and everyone has a favorite. So if you straddle the fence, you'll get pulled in many directions (again...all, mostly, having their merits); and probably suffer paralysis by analysis. Research, get a feel...pick one; and then start! You're going to need some tweaking anyway; better to ask and get answers in actual practice...rather than the old "if I do it this way, how will..."


As for the DAC; I'm with Rob...parts and power-supplies still matter. That being said...the reviews, both the DragonFly and Explorer are getting; are off-the-charts, ridiculously good...especially for the price. Forget some of the non-computer audiophile sites, which might just be taken with the price and size; even hardcore computer audiophile sites like Computer Audiophile and AudioStream love the things.


If you really need/want portable; I don't see anything wrong with either choice (although I'm really hearing good things lately, about the Meridian). Let me know if I can answer any other questions. Probably a wealth here...though, once you pick a path, you'll probably spend some time at that product's forum. If it feels like you're going OT, you can always PM me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19680#post_23458256


Garmin, if you want to use the MacMini as the streamer...you'll want to replace the iTunes with another player (you can still rip with iTunes....

I’d love to trash iTunes
but what’s a guy to do if your if you’re running wireless from your Mac to an Apple TV feeding your stereo in another room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19680#post_23458454


I’d love to trash iTunes
but what’s a guy to do if your if you’re running wireless from your Mac to an Apple TV feeding your stereo in another room.

IDK Rob; but sometimes, the right solution costs more than $99



Just ask Jax. He lived and died with the ATV for the longest time; until I convinced him to build his own streamer ( C.A.P.S. )


Don't get me wrong; for free (iTunes) and $99 (ATV), it's a helluva inexpensive solution. You get good performance, and easy UI (as long as you add a very good DAC; and Jax would probably say the same...that he could have lived with the ATV). But $1k speakers, and $500 amps are "good". If that's all we wanted, we'd go choose another hobby, yes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19680#post_23457061


Computer Audio: So who is the guru in this area on here, I have dabbled in it from time to time but found it more of a pain in the ass because there is way too many ways you can do it. Currently using the newest iMac and I have a Macbook Air along with a Mac Mini which I am thinking of using as a music server etc.. Any suggestions on getting the best high resolution audio out of a Mac Mini in a main system? I was thinking of burning everything to Apple Lossless or the highest resolution MP3 and then using some type of Dac. Open to any suggestions, its funny on how everything is shrinking and costing more and how music went from great quality to crap! I mean come on everything is compressed then re-upscaled, I could be wrong but I think MP3s blow ass, especially when you compare it to a SACD. I love it that they have these new wireless devices that are basically stream garbage quality music, off the internet.
Perplexing.


Quote:

Originally Posted by seanmf


That was what I first thought when I first saw the C2s.


I like my tux speakers! They put out a nice refined sonic sound for my ears! LOL I have owed everything up the food chain at Dynaudio, C1,C4s all the Contour line, Focus line, Excite the only thing I have not had is the DM line. C4 were too big for my room.



Just curious if anyone has heard these which would be cool for my computer system..

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/428123.html

If you have multiple Macs, you might wanna consider getting a NAS as your media server. I am using a Synology DiskStation DS212 with 4TB storage and it works great. The NAS also goes asleep automatically when not used and you can simply manage it from any other device that has a browser. I have the whole house cabled with Cat6a cables (can go up to 10Gbit with ease, since I want my wires to be future proof) with Gigabit switches in between and one wireless access point for phones and such. For HT I prefer dedicated media players with at least blu ray class chips in them, so they can handle high bit rate movies. They are usually below $150 and don't have fans.


For Mac I'd also recommend to get Voxapp ( http://coppertino.com/vox/?src=vox_original ) as a second music player. It doesn't have a library and will simply play the songs in the folder. It's very minimalistic, but it supports pretty much every audio file format (it can even play Amiga modules and other tracker stuff) you can think of and it can also export a playlist to quite a few other formats. I usually use it for music I haven't bought yet, so it won't end up in my library and if I wanna do a quick listen of downloaded songs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19680#post_23458475


IDK Rob; but sometimes, the right solution costs more than $99

True, but unless digital streaming offers me better sound quality from my “current sources and music collection, CDs and LPs”, and is not just an alternative convenient storage solution for quick access, I’m fine pushing a play/eject button on my CD player or lowering the stylus on an LP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19680#post_23458588


True, but unless digital streaming offers me better sound quality from my “current sources and music collection, CDs and LPs”, and is not just an alternative convenient storage solution for quick access, I’m fine pushing a play/eject button on my CD player or lowering the stylus on an LP.

FWIW: My wife and I auditioned a T+A Universal player. We used a DSD-sourced hybrid SACD and compared the SACD layer on the player to the 16/44 Red Book layer ripped and streamed. I thought the SACD sounded marginally better in the midrange, but the difference was so small I could never justify adding a SACD. My wife thought the streamed audio sounded better (she didn't know which I was playing).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19680#post_23458588


True, but unless digital streaming offers me better sound quality from my “current sources and music collection, CDs and LPs”, and is not just an alternative convenient storage solution for quick access, I’m fine pushing a play/eject button on my CD player or lowering the stylus on an LP.

Fair enough; but how do you test that, for yourself?


I wouldn't say the best disc-less playback is any "better", than the best from disc-players (though some claim exactly that. In theory...I do think that aluminum-pitted wafer, makes for a bad medium); but...disc-less is far more convenient, and comes at a much cheaper cost.


However, Rob; if you are perfectly happy with CD and Vinyl playback...then yours isn't a problem looking for a solution. Me...I was miserable, trying to shuffle through ~5,000 discs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19680#post_23458700


Fair enough; but how do you test that, for yourself?


I wouldn't say the best disc-less playback is any "better", than the best from disc-players (though some claim exactly that. In theory...I do think that aluminum-pitted wafer, makes for a bad medium); but...disc-less is far more convenient, and comes at a much cheaper cost.


However, Rob; if you are perfectly happy with CD and Vinyl playback...then yours isn't a problem looking for a solution. Me...I was miserable, trying to shuffle through ~5,000 discs.

CDLehner: I have no problem going this route at all as long as "I" have control over it, I don't trust iClouds weather they are Apples or some other companies to help me store and manage "my" content. The problem is with digital download no matter who you are buying from, from they track your every move, and now I have even ads that pop up on hear that Amazon is constantly putting crap up on items I just looked at over the last couple of days. Call me semi old school but I still do like CDs and vinyl, but that being said Flac Files and other HD downloads are becoming more appealing, but I have compared High Resolution Flac files to a SACDs and I still prefer SACDs, which you can get Cheap as far as players go. Now certain SACDs cost way too much but those are the ones that are no longer made.


Mr. Q, thanks for the interesting Vox App, interesting as I miss "Front Row" on my Mac Mini as I was pissed when Apple removed it as it was a simple interface to access Music and Movies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Owned a pair BM5a's. Good god. Those speakers were really special. had to sell them during the recession along with all my other studio equipment. I used to also hook my Xbox 360 up to my music Mixer and play COD and halo through the dynaudios and man....... yea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19680#post_23458700


Fair enough; but how do you test that, for yourself?


I wouldn't say the best disc-less playback is any "better", than the best from disc-players (though some claim exactly that. In theory...I do think that aluminum-pitted wafer, makes for a bad medium); but...disc-less is far more convenient, and comes at a much cheaper cost.


However, Rob; if you are perfectly happy with CD and Vinyl playback...then yours isn't a problem looking for a solution. Me...I was miserable, trying to shuffle through ~5,000 discs.

Digital streaming is here to stay and if I was just getting into music it would be the way to go; my only regret was that the Redbook CD sampling rate was allowed to live so long.

Given the fact that when the Silver Disc hit the starting block in 1982 it would have cost over $200,000 in hard disk space to back-up one disc, its understandable the focus in digital format was the Mp3 but later on to get the general consumer to see the benefits of embracing a higher res format has been an up hill battle and a losing one at that.

So I’ve really no problem with mass digital storage for music and video, as there really is no excuse today not to, but most us oldies and goldies have probably accumulated the majority of our music collection and have resigned ourselves to a physical library, which is not a bad thing in itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19590#post_23433644


Well in that case there is always Emotiva's new 35 watt class “A” mono blocks


Power output (all channels driven):

250 watts @ 8 ohm (0.1% THD)

500 watts @ 4 ohm (0.1% THD)
35 watts @ 8 ohm; Class A operation

Note: In Class A mode, under normal conditions, the XPA-1L operates in pure Class A mode at all power levels up to 35 wattsPower output (all channels driven):


BTW, they will also be releasing a new tube amp

As long as you don't mind the smell! Once they check their quality then maybe I will try again but not any time soon!
 
19681 - 19700 of 47985 Posts
Top