AVS Forum banner

19701 - 19720 of 47991 Posts

·
Registered
11,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19680#post_23459086

CDLehner: I have no problem going this route at all as long as "I" have control over it, I don't trust iClouds weather they are Apples or some other companies to help me store and manage "my" content. The problem is with digital download no matter who you are buying from, from they track your every move, and now I have even ads that pop up on hear that Amazon is constantly putting crap up on items I just looked at over the last couple of days. Call me semi old school but I still do like CDs and vinyl, but that being said Flac Files and other HD downloads are becoming more appealing, but I have compared High Resolution Flac files to a SACDs and I still prefer SACDs, which you can get Cheap as far as players go. Now certain SACDs cost way too much but those are the ones that are no longer made.

Garman...perhaps you misunderstand, the nature of computer audio. While it is true, some refer to Internet and "cloud"-based services, as "streaming"; most just use it as a ubiquitous term...to refer to, playing a music file from storage, as opposed to a disc. In other words...you could just rip your own music, to storage; and play that. No "clouds", no ads, and certainly...no big-brother watching you, lol.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19680#post_23458454

I’d love to trash iTunes
but what’s a guy to do if your if you’re running wireless from your Mac to an Apple TV feeding your stereo in another room.

rob80b: Apple use to make products that you could customize to your liking on the software side, but now they are doing cookie cutter software, and iTunes 11 is horrible. I took it off and re-installed iTunes 10.7 so my Mac Mini still gets the better software verses the BS they are pushing now.

I will give those other Dacs and try, I think I am going to go with the Meridian for portable and still use a stand alone as well.

Been looking at the MyDac as well, as well as a M1 Dac by Musical Fidelity.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/product-preview-micromega-mydac-the-399-miracle/

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19680#post_23459483

rob80b: Apple use to make products that you could customize to your liking on the software side, but now they are doing cookie cutter software, and iTunes 11 is horrible.

Tell me about it, I've been using Apple (PCs to) when Apple was Apple back in the early 80's.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
CD,

Complete understood you I was being sarcastic!!!
I plan on ripping most of my music and using HD Files for playback as well.

Rob80b:

I was a late bloomer, I started 2002 with my first Mac, I still use PCs but not nearly as much.

Wse:

I had a XPA-2 for a short while, not bad for the coin. I am sure Emotiva is going to have some issues and up's and downs but they are putting out some decent Amps for the coin. Even my old Classe Gear had issues back in the day!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19680#post_23459329

As long as you don't mind the smell! Once they check their quality then maybe I will try again but not any time soon!

Hi wse

How bad was it, it took 3-4 days for my new XPA-200 to clear, but I can imagine the XPA-1L being Class A what it might be like. Did you leave it on continually for a few days straight, that usually does the trick to burn off most of the burnt residue from the manufacturing process.

All new electronics will smell to one degree or another but if Emotiva are not washing the assembled boards after soldering or doing preliminary burn-in on their amps, which at the price I expect they do not, then it’ll probably be noticeable without even plugging it in, still it’s fairly common, just Goggle “new amp smell”.

But being their first Class "A" amp it just might be a little detail (the smell that is) that they did not take into consideration.

Bryston, Classe etc. usually perform a burn-in for 100 hours or so and that usually solves the problem.

Other than the smell how were the XPA-1Ls at driving your speakers as they did catch my interest.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Anyone had any experience from this company? I heard good things about their Dac.

http://schiit.com

·
Registered
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderion  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/30#post_8182591

Yuriv,

I believe the regular Audience line have the Esotec D260 tweeter. The SE have the Contour S model tweeter according to dynaudiousa website.

Nope, that would be the D28 or D28/2, depending on the incarnation of the Audience (50 or 52, 70 or 72). The Audience 122's use the D28/2; definetely not Esotec, although Dynaudio says so on their website. The Audience SE series and the Contour series de use the D260, I believe.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderion  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/30#post_8182591

Yuriv,

I believe the regular Audience line have the Esotec D260 tweeter. The SE have the Contour S model tweeter according to dynaudiousa website.

Hi jamesbond

You do realize the above post is from August 2006 but no harm in go over historical developments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19710#post_23460800

Nope, that would be the D28 or D28/2, depending on the incarnation of the Audience (50 or 52, 70 or 72). The Audience 122's use the D28/2; definetely not Esotec, although Dynaudio says so on their website. The Audience SE series and the Contour series de use the D260, I believe.

I asked similar question in 2008, how time flies!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/1800#post_12956775

Anyone here actually look into the technical difference in the Esotec D-260 tweeter.

Only reason I ask is that reading up on the different reiterations of the Contour models; 1.3MKII (which I own), the 1.3SE (which I think uses a 280) and the SR 1.4 many of the comparisons come down to improvements in the tweeter. Somewhere I had read but cannot find the source is that the tweeter on the 1.4 has been doped with a different coating, other wise it is basically the same as the 1.3MKII The openness of the new revision may also come down to a slight modification of the crossover or the new overall baffle.

Anyone care to comment?

Here's what Mick from Dynaudio had to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynlunatic  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/1800#post_12968817

Robert,

The tweeter in the 1.3mkII is the D-260 and the tweeter in the 1.3SE is called the D260Titan. The tweeter in the current ContourS1.4 is the D280 and is a tremendous improvement over both the 260 and 260Titan. While yes you are correct about the doping compound being different between the 260 and the 280 but the tweeter is also entirely different, with the 280 being loosely based on the current Esotar2 tweeter in the Confidence products. The only time we have modified an existing tweeter is in the case of the SE products(1.3SE, 52SE and 72SE) in all other cases we create a totally new tweeter for a new model. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Re: Emotiva. Not being an apologist...because I'm no fan (never tried it...haven't tried it for a reason; some bad word of mouth. But am curious to see for myself maybe). But...what if Emotiva explained things this way:

Sure; we don't QA, or burn-in, or "wash" our parts and boards the way some other amp manufactures might. It's one of the ways we keep costs down. Yes...this leads to some "burning" smells; but trust us, it's completely innocuous. Also...because we can't do these things; we admit...you might occasionally get a unit that fails. If you do...because of our process...we have a very strict policy, of replacing these units without questions.

If we didn't do things this way...manufacturing and labor costs would double; and the price of our amps would too.

If you knew this; and obviously, I'm not saying this is the case. But if you knew this was a cost choice...and not necessarily a side-effect of shoddy workmanship; would you put up with the smell, and occasional failure (again...knowing you could always get your unit replaced with a new amp)...in order to get the kind of watt/dollar ratio Emotiva offers. Or would you rather spend 3 times as much, and never wonder?

Just curious.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19680#post_23459871

CD,

Complete understood you I was being sarcastic!!!
I plan on ripping most of my music and using HD Files for playback as well.

Oops; my bad

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19710#post_23461883

..............If you knew this; and obviously, I'm not saying this is the case. But if you knew this was a cost choice...and not necessarily a side-effect of shoddy workmanship;...............

Just curious.

Being one to take apart everything I own since I discovered a screwdriver way back when, lets just call it "curious intervention", I can attest that the three Emo amps I’ve had where top notch on with regards to assembly.

But for the likes of me my Bryston 4BSST does have an inordinate amount of excess cabling.
but do not take this as a knock against them as my Brystons are not going anywhere.

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/rob80b/media/Bryston%204BSSTs/IMG_1937.jpg.html

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/rob80b/library/Dynaudio?sort=3&page=1

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Q  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19710#post_23462013

Hey! BM6! long time since I saw that old friend. Was a great nearfield speaker, especially considering it's price
. I did find them ugly. Never understood why the BM6 had to look so different from the BM5.

At one point it was rumored that the BM6 was a Contour 1.3MKII in sheep's clothing, as I had both I thought I'd illustrate the differences for those wishful thinkers!!
http://s117.photobucket.com/user/rob80b/media/Dynaudio/IMG_0404.jpg.html

Contour 1.3MKII mid/base driver and BM6 mid/base driver
http://s117.photobucket.com/user/rob80b/library/Dynaudio?sort=3&page=1

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19710#post_23461883

Re: Emotiva. Not being an apologist...because I'm no fan (never tried it...haven't tried it for a reason; some bad word of mouth. But am curious to see for myself maybe). But...what if Emotiva explained things this way:

Sure; we don't QA, or burn-in, or "wash" our parts and boards the way some other amp manufactures might. It's one of the ways we keep costs down. Yes...this leads to some "burning" smells; but trust us, it's completely innocuous. Also...because we can't do these things; we admit...you might occasionally get a unit that fails. If you do...because of our process...we have a very strict policy, of replacing these units without questions.

If we didn't do things this way...manufacturing and labor costs would double; and the price of our amps would too.

If you knew this; and obviously, I'm not saying this is the case. But if you knew this was a cost choice...and not necessarily a side-effect of shoddy workmanship; would you put up with the smell, and occasional failure (again...knowing you could always get your unit replaced with a new amp)...in order to get the kind of watt/dollar ratio Emotiva offers. Or would you rather spend 3 times as much, and never wonder?

Just curious.

My last Emotiva post, promise!!

http://www.emotiva.com/faq/returns

Returns

What is your returns policy?
Emotiva offers a 30-day, no questions asked, hassle-free returns policy, except for clearance products. Simply call 1-877-EMO-TECH for an RMA number.

http://www.emotiva.com/faq/

Shipping in the USA

Where do you ship free?
We ship free within the contiguous 48 states. Additional shipping charges apply to Alaska, Hawaii, US territories, APO, and FPO addresses. Shipping options and delivery estimates are available at checkout.

Obviously the above faqs are an ideal scenario for those living in the States and curious about trying their equipment, but for the rest of us shipping is getting prohibitively expensive.

Just for the record in case one is wondering about this Emotiva crusade and I’m definitely not dictating that everyone go out and try their stuff.

The way I look at it is that for those who really would like to invest in a pair of Dynaudio speakers, cause lets admit relatively speaking they’re not cheap.

But if you want the Dyn sound, performance and workmanship you’ve got to pay the price of admission, as no one else makes their drivers and enclosures.

On the other hand when it comes to electronics, most if not all amps are assembled from parts purchased elsewhere, capacitors, transformers etc., with a few having brilliant designs, but many manufactures are just using true and tried circuits, maybe with a few modifications, put in their own boxes; higher cost coming from cosmetics and depending where it is made, labor.

So IMHO there really is no need to spend a fortune on an amp, although you can if you wish, as I have and I will, but knowing there are relatively inexpensive but comparable performing alternatives available, makes it that much more feasible in putting together a very good sounding system.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
rob80b:

I was a Emotiva doubter as well, but my 2 week experience with the XPA-2 was good. If it wasn't for me wanting my A5 Pre/Amp - A5 Amp combo, I would have kept it. I didn't smell anything odd about it, it ran quite and it sounded very good and had more than enough juice to run just about any speaker. That being said, I am not a fan of there other electronics as I don't think they have perfected a reliable Dac and or Pre/Amp just yet. An opinion of course, but I have 2 friends that have had a ton of issues on that side of the fence. I don't mind paying for more if stuff is built here, as I think it is a smart thing, because it employees more people instead of sticking more cash in good old Communistic China!
Ask Rogue Audio, they built most of there stuff and hand craft it right here and a pretty reasonable cost. Like I said in a previous post everyone like Krell and a lot of your high end manufactures are having stuff built in China at a greatly reduced cost, but that doesn't seem to be passed on the the consumer, just larger profits for them. Thats where I think Emotiva is doing justice to their name, as they are blatantly raping people of their good earned cash!

Sure enough I buy both A5 Pre/Amp and A5 Amp combo, and a guy calls me on my old Dream Int. Amp, a KW-500 by Musical Fidelity that I use to own. This unit was one of the better Int. Amps I have ever owned, with a ton of power and great sonics to run my Dynaudio C2's with Authority! But sure enough, he contacts me after I buy these two units! LOL

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
for as many people i have heard say they went from xxx to emo and have been happy(er), i have also heard as many people say they went from emo to xxx and been happy(er). for me, i have heard a few amps/pre's/IAs and i have to admit that I know that i prefer a certian sound, i have NO desire to buy something that i cant first listen to. so while Im sure Id be pleasantly surprised by the performance of the emos or outlaws of the world, im very concerned about buying without first hearing... hell i think i tortured CD for weeks asking all kinds of questions regarding different amps i never ended up buying... but one day i might. i will say, and this isnt meant to be offensive, i cant stand all the emo-fanbois pushing emo like crack; id almost rather buy an outlaw amp to avoid buying an emotiva amp. however pre-amps... im even more particular about, and it would be hard for me to ever buy a usp/xsp pre. i hear, that the sound of the emo pre's are rather dry and so i really have no interest in them. but not just emo, salk, phil, ascend, aperion, axiom etc., i cant see myself buying cause i cant hear them first.

·
Registered
531 Posts
All this talk of affordable amps....and not one mention of what I feel is the absolute bang/buck in amplifiers today....

ATI.

Incredible design by a legendary engineer.

No frills in the casing...every dollar spent is within the amplifier.

Stable down to less than 2ohms.

S/N of greater than 120dbs.

Amplifiers are made and designed in the US.

7 year warranty.

Customer service is top notch. Where else can you correspond with one of the company owners about their products?

I could go on and on...but my experience has been great and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

My amp is dead quiet, extremely powerful, imparts no sound (a good amplifier should never have a "sound") of its own, and is one of the best bang/buck purchases I've made.

If interested in a quality amplifier, I would research ATI and I think you'll like what you see.

They make their money manufacturing for high end "names", like Levinson. It's just that ATI's measure as well or better than the expensive stuff.

Off my soap box now.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19710#post_23464080

for as many people i have heard say they went from xxx to emo and have been happy(er), i have also heard as many people say they went from emo to xxx and been happy(er). ............

Maybe all amps do sound the same!!!

On the other hand I'd be very curious to try out one of these puppies.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Speaking of the Octave V-80 anyone know if Mick’s still around?

Last post 1/18/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynlunatic  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/18420#post_22846603

CEs has kept me out of the loop the last couple of weeks but honestly there some conversations that just made me ill. Looks like things might be back on track and I would like to make myself available for any and all Dynaudio discussions, just in case we need to set anything straight.

19701 - 19720 of 47991 Posts