AVS Forum banner

19721 - 19740 of 48041 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhead  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19710#post_23464402


All this talk of affordable amps....and not one mention of what I feel is the absolute bang/buck in amplifiers today....


ATI.


Incredible design by a legendary engineer.

No frills in the casing...every dollar spent is within the amplifier.

Stable down to less than 2ohms.

S/N of greater than 120dbs.

Amplifiers are made and designed in the US.

7 year warranty.

Customer service is top notch. Where else can you correspond with one of the company owners about their products?


I could go on and on...but my experience has been great and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.


My amp is dead quiet, extremely powerful, imparts no sound (a good amplifier should never have a "sound") of its own, and is one of the best bang/buck purchases I've made.


If interested in a quality amplifier, I would research ATI and I think you'll like what you see.


They make their money manufacturing for high end "names", like Levinson. It's just that ATI's measure as well or better than the expensive stuff.

ATI's are the expensive stuff. I'm seeing over $700 online for a 120 wpc stereo amplifier.


Unfortunately for them, many people do know about their competition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19710#post_23464490


ATI's are the expensive stuff. I'm seeing over $700 online for a 120 wpc stereo amplifier.


Unfortunately for them, many people do know about their competition.

True. However, I called and was able to "negotiate" a new AT 1802 for $600 (with shipping).


I feel that even at 1200 bucks, their 1802 amp is of amazing build quality and you can't get much better....regardless of price (though, you may get prettier). Of course, if you call.....you never know unless you ask.


But...to each their own. I would pay a few dollars more to help support the American workers during this economic time...especially electronics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19710#post_23464433


Maybe all amps do sound the same!!!


On the other hand I'd be very curious to try out one of these puppies.


Nice looking Int. Amp, and very good sounding, especially with Dynaudio's. But even in the used market a tad too high, priced wise! If I didn't have 3 kids to feed I would buy one!


http://www.octave.de/en/htdocs/verstaerker/v110.php
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19710#post_23464056


..................


Sure enough I buy both A5 Pre/Amp and A5 Amp combo, ...............................

Hi Garman


Did the A5 amp work out in resolving the hum issue?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19710#post_23464916


Hi Garman


Did the A5 amp work out in resolving the hum issue?

Rob80b: Right now I am using the A5 Pre/Amp and a older Amp and zero hum, the A5 Amp comes tomorrow. I see your in Toronto, I have a lot of my cousins that live in Sue Saint Marie, their last name is Dewar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19710#post_23464433


Maybe all amps do sound the same!!!


On the other hand I'd be very curious to try out one of these puppies.

Lets not forget the V70SE or the V110


I will admit they hold their value so even used they are a bit pricey. That being said they are pretty bullet proof. I've had several tube failures (including tube arc overs) with no other damage. Can't say that with the great majority of tube amps or Integrateds. Want to change the sound - well swap a tube or more!! And before I forget they sound fantastic with ALL DYN's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19710#post_23466950


Lets not forget the V70SE or the V110


I will admit they hold their value so even used they are a bit pricey. That being said they are pretty bullet proof. I've had several tube failures (including tube arc overs) with no other damage. Can't say that with the great majority of tube amps or Integrateds. Want to change the sound - well swap a tube or more!! And before I forget they sound fantastic with ALL DYN's.

The dessert menu from the the 6moons review looks appetizing.


"Octave's V80 is characterized by ...


'for tubes' unbelievably well defined, differentiated and extended bass which, due to juiciness and body, turns many transistors into dry food.

a tonal balance set to zero and hence cooler than other valves. I find timbre differentiation well above the norm and ditto for speed and agility.

a generally neutral progression from the midrange through the treble with just a bit of extra energy in the presence region. In lit-up or even hard systems, the V80 won't act as antidote whatsoever.

a realistically broad and deep soundstage on which individual actors are cleanly elucidated, i.e. instruments and voices are embodied and surrounded by air for a very believable rendition.

an exceptionally dynamic behavior particularly fascinating in the micro range of the midband. One remains connected to the music.

a high degree of PRaT. The V80 tracks all music without hesitation."




Maybe, some day!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19710#post_23466950


Lets not forget the V70SE or the V110


I will admit they hold their value so even used they are a bit pricey. That being said they are pretty bullet proof. I've had several tube failures (including tube arc overs) with no other damage. Can't say that with the great majority of tube amps or Integrateds. Want to change the sound - well swap a tube or more!! And before I forget they sound fantastic with ALL DYN's.

I was giving some thought to auditioning a V110SE, but I feel like I've hit the sweet spot with my Naim boxes and don't think I'll make any changes there. But when I auditioned a V40SE a while back -- when I still had my UnitiQute -- I was very impressed. It just didn't have enough grip on the bass for my speakers. I needed more power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19710#post_23467331


I was giving some thought to auditioning a V110SE, but I feel like I've hit the sweet spot with my Naim boxes and don't think I'll make any changes there. But when I auditioned a V40SE a while back -- when I still had my UnitiQute -- I was very impressed. It just didn't have enough grip on the bass for my speakers. I needed more power.

its been a while since ive heard and octave amp, so i cant remember their sound very well. however i do have to agree that the naims do have a great grip on the bass. im thinking i need to go up the dyn line to some towers and then jump over to the xs or perhaps a nac202 and nap200. theres a few other things that i have liked over the years, but most of them lack the required htbp that I need in my setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Thinking of adding 7.1 to my existing 5.1 system. Currently use Dyn Focus 220 MKII, Focus 200C and Audience 42 as rears. I do not have room for anything to hang from the ceiling and would need to make the speakers flush to the ceiling or close to flush. Any thoughts on using the Thiel PowerPlane or HigherPlane to add the 2 new channels? Ideas on something better that might work would be appreciated as well.


Thanks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btscott  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19710#post_23467693


Thinking of adding 7.1 to my existing 5.1 system. Currently use Dyn Focus 220 MKII, Focus 200C and Audience 42 as rears. I do not have room for anything to hang from the ceiling and would need to make the speakers flush to the ceiling or close to flush. Any thoughts on using the Thiel PowerPlane or HigherPlane to add the 2 new channels? Ideas on something better that might work would be appreciated as well.


Thanks...
http://www.dynaudio.com/int/home_loudspeaker_systems/installation_products/installation_products.php
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,446 Posts
With all this love/hate for Emotiva, has anyone tried their Sherbourn brand? I'm interested to see as they are even cheaper in the watts/$$ dept than Emo for the amps I've taken a glance at. Not too many reviews exist for these guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,001 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19710#post_23467673


its been a while since ive heard and octave amp, so i cant remember their sound very well. however i do have to agree that the naims do have a great grip on the bass. im thinking i need to go up the dyn line to some towers and then jump over to the xs or perhaps a nac202 and nap200. theres a few other things that i have liked over the years, but most of them lack the required htbp that I need in my setup.

By the time I auditioned the V40SE I already had a NAP 250-2 running as the amp for my UnitiQute. I was trying to determine whether I wanted to switch to Octave (i.e. with a V70SE) or get a proper Naim preamp for the NAP250. The Octave sounded fantastic, but not enough to compel me to switch brands. Now that I have a 282/HC/250 I will bet it is at least as good as the V100. That 250 has amazing control of bass and the NAC282 is incredibly open and detailed. Upgrading to a 282 has been one of the biggest improvements I've made to the system. I actually had to get used to the sound being so much more open and expansive.


If you get a 202/200 be sure to get a NAPSC. It's not that much and is considered an essential upgrade. I had one on my 202. It comes with the 282.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Just got my GIK Tri traps today!


My first impression is that I gained lots of clarity. This weekend I will do the whole fun setup procedure again to see if I need to change my sub crossover/placement and will let you guys know the difference. I still have to do the more important back and front wall treatments to really get improvements on the nulls I experience on my couch.


Here are some pictures:







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19710#post_23467319


The dessert menu from the the 6moons review looks appetizing.


"Octave's V80 is characterized by ...


'for tubes' unbelievably well defined, differentiated and extended bass which, due to juiciness and body, turns many transistors into dry food.

a tonal balance set to zero and hence cooler than other valves. I find timbre differentiation well above the norm and ditto for speed and agility.

a generally neutral progression from the midrange through the treble with just a bit of extra energy in the presence region. In lit-up or even hard systems, the V80 won't act as antidote whatsoever.

a realistically broad and deep soundstage on which individual actors are cleanly elucidated, i.e. instruments and voices are embodied and surrounded by air for a very believable rendition.

an exceptionally dynamic behavior particularly fascinating in the micro range of the midband. One remains connected to the music.

a high degree of PRaT. The V80 tracks all music without hesitation."




Maybe, some day!

I hear you, I would love to have a Octave in my system, I only heard them at a dealer once. I would love to have one of these back Musical Fidelity (KW-500) which I think was just as good, this is my system before I had kids. The MF gear just for some reason matches up very well with Dynaudio Speakers. I can't say much for the nice looking CD Player by Consonance as I think they make ok stuff, it just doesn't hold up! I had the casing crack on 2 units. The KW-500 I see has popped up on Audiogon but guy is asking way too much, as I can pick up in good shape for 2K. This would be a step up even from what I am using.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Q  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19740#post_23469207


Just got my GIK Tri traps today!


My first impression is that I gained lots of clarity. This weekend I will do the whole fun setup procedure again to see if I need to change my sub crossover/placement and will let you guys know the difference. I still have to do the more important back and front wall treatments to really get improvements on the nulls I experience on my couch.

Looks great! I'm not sure I'll be able to do that unless I get a dedicated theater room though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btscott  /t/686371/dynaudio-owners-thread/19740#post_23470060


Thanks, I hadn't seen these before.

I've actually heard the Emo in-wall speakers, if you're just looking for surround channels, those sound great. They actually sound good enough that I'd be willing to use them in a living room system if I had a separate listening room elsewhere in the home. Worth a look especially with the difference in cost. I can't remember if it was the 8.2 or 6.2 though.. Sorry that I can't be more detailed in that regard. If you're really interested, I can get a more detailed look as they're in my father's home serving surround duty.
 
19721 - 19740 of 48041 Posts
Top