AVS Forum banner
6M views 58K replies 1K participants last post by  jcmaharry 
#1 ·
Dynaudio doesnt get much attention here, but it is very exclusive and as such not readily available in all states. As the exclusive Dynaudio dealer in San Diego, we represent their speakers as the state of the art. If you want to leave nothing to chance and simply want the most accurate performance Dynaudio is the ticket. In an industry where you can easily overpay for underpeforming equipment, Dynaudio has always been about no compromise speaker design regardless of price. After listening to the Contours in our showroom, I immediately knew that my next speakers would be the Contour S5.4....still saving.

I would love you to hear from all you Dynaudio owners out there, and what kind of gear that you pair up with it.

#31,281 ·
Thanks a bunch for the help! The 340s do look fantastic! I wouldn't even bother fixing the scuffs, I have a feeling my toddlers will decorate them with more soon enough :(

maybe I should get them phones to play Pokemon Go so they keep their hands off of the speakers.
No problem at all ,Does this mean you are going to go ahead and buy the 340's?I would of bought them myself if I did not already have the xd 600's,i kind of have my heart set on the new contour c20 for my small 2 channel room. Glen said the naim xs 2 would drive them nicely...Naim and Dyn is a match made in heaven.

#31,282 ·
If I stick with Bryston I will simply get the 4B³ to drive my Contour 30, I believe it is more than enough headroom at 500wpc at 4ohms vs the 900wpc of the 14 B³. If I were you I would just get o the Cubed vs the Square :)

Been Driving the X-18 with the 6B-SST and it's sounds pretty darn good :)
yeah I think 500wpc is plenty for my C4s, but kinda wanted the giant amp anyways. Its alot to pay for the extra 3db of theoretical headroom

Cubed series seems to be getting good reviews, I am a pre owned buyer so in general I have to go with what becomes available vs exactly what I want.

#31,283 · (Edited)
yeah I think 500wpc is plenty for my C4s, but kinda wanted the giant amp anyways. Its alot to pay for the extra 3db of theoretical headroom

Cubed series seems to be getting good reviews, I am a pre owned buyer so in general I have to go with what becomes available vs exactly what I want.
Why not go for dual Monos 7B³ in this case, it would not be much more expensive than the 14 :D

I have been lucky enough to hear them with several speakers and they are mind blowing, the sound-stage is truly improved and they are certainly dead silent. I am pretty much set on the 4B³ unless I can get a 250dr for nearly as a good price NQ got his.

#31,284 ·
Why not go for dual Monos 7B³ in this case, it would not be much more expensive than the 14 :D

I have been lucky enough to hear them with several speakers and they are mind blowing, the sound-stage is truly improved and they are certainly dead silent. I am pretty much set on the 4B³ unless I can get a 250dr for nearly as a good price NQ got his.
That's what I was going to go with for my C4's until I decided on the Parasounds since I could get a deal on them...

#31,285 ·
i think the 14b is almost identical to two 7bs in the same chassis....I dont think the 2x7=14 is coincidental! In fact it seems like the 7b is really the parallel mono version of the 4b even if the math isnt quite as convincing. If that is the case 4 channels of 4b amplification condensed into 2 channel and 1 chassis is a 14b. Yikes!

#31,286 · (Edited)
I plan to install Dynaudio IC17 in-ceiling speakers for an atmos setup.
The question/worries I have are related to the fact that the speakers are "open back" not sealed so to speak.
Are they designed to be used like that or I can use a protection box like this one here...
http://www.dynamat.com/architectural-home/architectural-home-dynabox/

@ Otto

will the performance of the speaker be affected ?

thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers

#31,287 ·
You perhaps should concentrate on solving that problem before putting speakers in the ceiling. We have plenty of opossum around here, the only houses they get into are the run down abandoned ones, so you must have a more brazen breed there. ;)

#31,288 ·

i think the 14b is almost identical to two 7bs in the same chassis....I dont think the 2x7=14 is coincidental! In fact it seems like the 7b is really the parallel mono version of the 4b even if the math isnt quite as convincing. If that is the case 4 channels of 4b amplification condensed into 2 channel and 1 chassis is a 14b. Yikes!
I just think 2 monos look cool when you can do it in your room.

Yeah 4B driven in mono are also capable of insane power. Regardless the option you choose i don't think you will have to worry about headroom ;)

Reactions: yonson
#31,290 · (Edited)
callas01 & Spurrier Sucks:
The Uniti 2 does looks interesting, thanks for the suggestion.
I'll add it to the ever growing list :)
EDIT:
Forgot: UnitiQute I'll check up on as well.

aschen:
Thanks for the suggestion, I can see that Bryston comes with a 20 year warranty!!!
That is borderline absurd in this modern, fast-paced world, I think! :)
(in a good way for sure)

I'll note down Bryston B100/B135 too.

There actually is a used Bryston B135 at a Danish dealer right now, it says on the homepage that normal sales price is $7348 which is of course way over my budget.
The used one he sells for $5848 which is also too expensive for me.

In the ads on a Danish hifi site there is a used B100 though, which the owner sells for $2339.
That's more like it.
However he lives in the other side of Denmark, so I can't easily get to hear it (even though Denmark is a small country, the other side is still some km/miles away :) )
He writes the B100 is 16 years old btw.!
I can't help smiling when reading that!
It's just so crazy and new to me that electronics can actually be made to function for so many years.
I did have that old Denon amp that worked for 12+ years, however I just thought I got lucky and/or the days were over where electronics could last that long without breaking.
It's good news.

Anyway, I'll keep Bryston B100/B135 in mind, thanks.

Sunya:
Sim 340i is a possibility for sure.
About being satisfied for a long time vs. getting the upgrade bug right after getting a cheaper model, don't you think it's often also just because we hifi people are curious people who feel the need/desire to change gear every now to hear how this or that other amp or whatever sounds in our system and room?
I think that's how I feel anyway.
But if I do end up paying lots of $$$ for some unit next up, then switching gear will become more difficult or downright impossible for me as this is pretty much a one shot opportunity for me to get this kind of expensive gear.
I don't have that amount of money normally, it's only because of this inheritance I'm receiving that I do now.
I guess I must try and get used to the fact that I will be set from now on hifi-wise, depending on what unit I buy next up.
It's a boring thought in a way! :)

Bladelius Thor MkIII I'll also keep an eye out for.
Thanks!

Lots of stuff for me to check out now about the possibilities (reviews, forums etc.)
That's ok though, there's no rush.

#31,291 · (Edited)
I went and picked up my new nap 250 dr today and some naca5 speaker cables,still in the box for now.I promised some photos for Lincoln,who is interested in the focus 340's my dealer has,as you know there are a couple of scuffs on 1 speaker only.You have to get real close to even notice them,he had them playing and they sounded wonderful...well worth the asking price.The closeups are of the scuffs.
Is @Callas going to jump on these?

#31,294 ·
I managed to move my xd 600's back to the hometheater,and unboxed and hooked up the Naim Nap 250dr...connected the excite 12's(for now) with the naca5 speaker cables.Damn that naca5 is hard to work with,the amp has probably not been played for at least a month,so will take some time to warm up.Right now everything sounds a bit shut in,more relaxed than the xd 600's,it is still very early,so no critical listening done yet...i know ,it didn't happen without pics,next up will be the contour c 20 audition,hopefully in october.:)

Attachments

#31,295 ·
What connector is that on the end of the cables, opposite the spade terminals? Proprietary to Naim?

Reactions: dashpuppy
#31,297 ·
I managed to move my xd 600's back to the hometheater,and unboxed and hooked up the Naim Nap 250dr...connected the excite 12's(for now) with the naca5 speaker cables.Damn that naca5 is hard to work with,the amp has probably not been played for at least a month,so will take some time to warm up.Right now everything sounds a bit shut in,more relaxed than the xd 600's,it is still very early,so no critical listening done yet...i know ,it didn't happen without pics,next up will be the contour c 20 audition,hopefully in october.
Black Naim Fraim sure would look nice in that room.

Reactions: no quarter
#31,298 ·
I managed to move my xd 600's back to the hometheater,and unboxed and hooked up the Naim Nap 250dr...connected the excite 12's(for now) with the naca5 speaker cables.Damn that naca5 is hard to work with,the amp has probably not been played for at least a month,so will take some time to warm up.Right now everything sounds a bit shut in,more relaxed than the xd 600's,it is still very early,so no critical listening done yet...i know ,it didn't happen without pics,next up will be the contour c 20 audition,hopefully in october.:)
Do the trip to Montreal and come listen to the 30s if no dealer has the 20 in stock yet :)

#31,300 ·