AVS Forum banner
6M views 58K replies 1K participants last post by  jcmaharry 
#1 ·
Dynaudio doesnt get much attention here, but it is very exclusive and as such not readily available in all states. As the exclusive Dynaudio dealer in San Diego, we represent their speakers as the state of the art. If you want to leave nothing to chance and simply want the most accurate performance Dynaudio is the ticket. In an industry where you can easily overpay for underpeforming equipment, Dynaudio has always been about no compromise speaker design regardless of price. After listening to the Contours in our showroom, I immediately knew that my next speakers would be the Contour S5.4....still saving.

I would love you to hear from all you Dynaudio owners out there, and what kind of gear that you pair up with it.

#47,721 ·
Not liking this new layout with so many ads. Just posting to share my frustration.

I did read all the comments from previous pages but it's still not a good layout.

#47,722 ·
Not liking this new layout with so many ads. Just posting to share my frustration.

I did read all the comments from previous pages but it's still not a good layout.
Use an ad blocker.

I've said before, when there are standards for reasonable user experience with ads, I'm open to allowing them on my screen and I'll stop blocking them, but as long as they interefere with content and ruin the user experience I'm having none of it. Agressive advertising can suck it.

#47,724 ·
The way I see forced ads are that's a product I wouldn't buy unless it was the absolute last thing left on the planet that would save my life...
What? You mean you don't need a $79.99 personal air conditioner?

Reactions: Roberto Calvo
#47,727 ·
#47,730 ·
Probably because they're able to hit their design targets for bass extension, sensitivity, and output with the 23cm woofers. If so, then why go bigger? Larger woofers require larger cabinets and baffles which have their downsides and drive up the cost.

Reactions: Strlok
#47,732 ·
The Excite X44 had 20cm woofers, which were some of the biggest they've made.

#47,733 ·
Garman
How is the Aqua Dac treating you? I was just on the Audioshark forum browsing,and I came across a thread that Chris started(CD) on the Aqua La Voce Dac in 2016. He seemed to really like it,and at that time he also had an Ayre Dac at home. I forgot how DEEP he was into demoing gear,lol. He had three systems on that one room,hard to believe he beat the addiction.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Garman
#47,734 · (Edited)
Hi
I was able to quickly listen the special forty against some other speakers (different price/size like Dynaudio evoke 20 et 30, b&w 706 et 702 s2, klipsch forte, pmc twenty5 21 et 23, focal kanta n°1) and liked them a lot. It was on a Advance Paris Playstream A7 amplifier.
I often read that those speakers really need juicy amp to work fine.
Do you think or have you tried them with a Marantz pm8006 ? This is to be used in my living room, about 28m².
This is the one I have, but was not able to do the listening with that one. I wonder if it can drive correctly those speakers or if I should try something working better with it.
Thanks

#47,735 ·
no quarter/everyone: I hope everyone is doing well, considering the crap we are dealing with... Being in the medical/biologic arena over the last 5 months has been an eye opener that's for sure..

The Aqua Dac I have has been updated it's version 3, it will do DSD files etc.. Its very good, one of the better pieces of equipment I have had in my system.... The Special 25 cabinets are fixed, well almost need to spray the tops with a flat lacquer to take care of some of the scratches but ding in back looks pretty darn good, now I am just waiting for the tweeter replacements and haven't heard anything yet, in regards to that.. So they are a project speaker for now...... If I retain my job, I will most likely keep most of the speakers I have, too much fun trying different ones out right now, but if I don't I will be putting a pair of monitors on the selling block along with my Magnepan 1.7i... Great speaker but they take up a lot of room.. Frankly I could live with these that's how good they are for a floor stander. But the C2 just outshine everything, so those are not going anywhere.

MiB75: I would stick with a good Amp/Pre Amp combo or a good Int. Amp..... Musical Fidelity/Belles/Vincent/Naim/ are all very good and sound wonderful with Dyn's. There are many more to choose from....

#47,736 ·
Hi
I was able to quickly listen the special forty against some other speakers (different price/size like Dynaudio evoke 20 et 30, b&w 706 et 702 s2, klipsch forte, pmc twenty5 21 et 23, focal kanta n°1) and liked them a lot. It was on a Advance Paris Playstream A7 amplifier.
Do you think or have you tried them with a Marantz pm8006 ? This is to be used in my living room, about 28m².
Your amp will work fine, but it won't allow the Special 40's to play to their greatest capabilities. You want a higher quality amplifier; not just one with more juice.

#47,737 ·
Hi
This is the one I have, but was not able to do the listening with that one. I wonder if it can drive correctly those speakers or if I should try something working better with it.
Thanks
Hi @MiB75, happy to see some one from France here.
I am positive you listen those at Cobra, right? Had the same experience with Advanced Paris M150. It trashed both Naim Atom Unity and Nad M10 with the Special 40s.
But I have serious doubts about the reliability of Advanced Paris ( there are some horror stories about the same company with a different name Advanced Acoustic - I think I got it right). Also, are ugly like hell ( personal preference, plus my better one would through it on the window)
Have you tried other integrated apms? I seriously thinking to get the special 40s with an all in one but so far haven't heard something to convince me 100%

#47,738 ·
Thanks for your answers.
Yes, while visiting Paris with family, I took time to do a quick listening at Cobra store. Only this amp, and was free to change speakers, so, tried the ones in the auditorium quickly, but, it was enough for me to conclude that 40s were my favorites ones with this Playstream A7. There was a PM8006 but in a different auditorium, so, not able to try with it.
I have not listen to much amp earlier, so, don't know the Musical Fidelity, Belles, Vincent, etc. I know the names, but that's it. And they are not available in lots of stores.
I listened to a Cambridge Audio CX-A61 and a Marantz PM7000N in a different store, with Dali Oberon 5/7, and I preferred the sound of the Marantz, and really liked it with the Dali. Maybe some Opticon 5/6 would work fine with it too. I tried the PM7000N with Kef LS50, but it was really lacking bass, I did not liked the sound at all.
I ordered a PM8006 and ND8006 to replace my old Denon AVR4311, back to stereo.
Marantz seems to be well build and easy to use (not only by me).
Will use the DAC with my PC, can play all my CD/Flac from NAS, can still play some CD, and probably will take spotify premium or equivalent (even if not highest sound quality, don't plan to pay 20€/month for higher quality for now, but need to test/compare with free trial).
A detail, but I have rejected amps which can't really be put in stand by mode, I don't want something always on, eating 25w or more 24/24.
So, this is not perfect product, but choice made of compromises, and which sound good too.
We can find some used s40 around 2000€, this is quite expensive still, but, if that works well... I was impress by the sound of these bookshelves compare to other speakers, and was thinking that small speaker was maybe better in my "not so big" room.
Finally, problem with all that, is that we can't really test in our room, which can completely change our feeling.

#47,740 ·
I recently went through a similar process of wanting a list of songs to test systems while doing after market stereo upgrades for my cars. I couldn't really test speakers since the car (room) has such an influence but I could test the DSP tuning. One car used Esotar 2 430's and the other Esotar 2 650's. Building custom tweeter sails was too expensive so I went with Esotec tweeters.

This is the playlist I put together based on songs I had that were recommended in various lists so I could get familiar with songs and compare them to the DSP tunes. I would often use my best headphones and headphone amp to get a baseline for what the song should sound like and then compare how it sounded in cars.
Hi,

I was interested in your remarks about car audio - curious about your set ups.

I’ve been in that scene for several years now - on the Sound Quality side. I had a Subaru BRZ with Audison Thesis 3-way, and a front mounted (passenger floorboard), Mosconi amplifiers, and a Pioneer P99 head unit.

I now drive an Audi S4 with Audison Thesis Tweets, mid range, and Dynaudio MW170 mid bass drivers, Stereo Integrity BM12 where the glove box was, Sinfoni amplifiers, MiniDSP 8x12DL processor.

Here is a very goofy video of me at Finals, but it shows the system pretty well.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro