AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just set up my Dynaudio Temptations, run by a Boulder 2060 amp, with Meitner gear. Surrounds are Dynaudio C4's and the center is a Confidence. They are run by a BAT 6200. All I can say is wow. Seamless sound,with incredible detail. A new room is in the works, and since it will be 6 months until opening, I'm holding off on a projector. I will get a Qualia then, if nothing better (3-chip, fujitsu, epson, etc.) turns up. Will be upgrading my Thea to CIII status in the next couple of weeks.

David Shapiro

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
David

Congrats!! Dynaudio is on my list and very high. You have there an incredible system... C4 for surrounds!! Fine speakers superior to many highly touted ones in this forum... WOW!!!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Phil,

I have a Meitner CDSD transport, a Dac6 and a Switchman 3. I'm in the process of getting my analog going again. A Basis Debut 5, VDH Colibri and Manley Steelhead pre.

David

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah, Rel Studio 3 on the way, to replace the Stentor 2.

David

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Congrat's ! I have followed some of your audio travels/upgrades over the years at AA. I have always admired the Temptations at my dealers.

You had some big Avalon's previously, as I recall ?

What Wow'd you about the Dyn's that the Avalon's were lacking ?

- Andy

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Andy,

Yes, I had Avalon Osiris speakers for 4 years. They are excellent, but in the Avalon tradition they are somewhat polite, without solid bass. This in a speaker with 2 15" woofers. Plus, there is an enormous external crossover. I will be going into a somewhat smaller room, and the speakers would have been too big. Plus, my tastes are changing . The dynaudios are much more dynamic. It puts incredible energy into the room. On the other hand, the Temptations will appreciate the Rel Studio sub soon to come. I considered trying Dali Megalines, but they are too big. I even corresponded with the owner of the Alon Grande Exoticas, owned by a man on this forum. Those were enormous. So far, I love the Dyns. We'll see how long they last.

David

David

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
C4s as *surrounds* !! Crimineys.

The c2s are one of my all time favorite speakers, let alone C4s, let alone letting the poor guys sit in surround duty. Well enjoy it, because you have on heck of a system!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Excellent system. The Dynaudio's were among the elite 4 speaker systems that I auditioned during my 14 month search for the perfect speakers. Although they did not win out in the end, as I said before, they were one of the 4 systems I was considering until I happened to find the speakers I finally went with.

In any event, great choice, I am sure you will get a lot of enjoyment from them.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
ludwig---you might as well indulge our curiousity: what speakers did you end up selecting? And what were the others in the top 4?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The three other systems I found on a par with the Dynaudio's were the Genesis 1.1 (actually I found the Genesis slightly better than the Evidence), VMPS's newest speaker (the "Elixir" I believe), and the Alon's.

I finally ended up going with Rockports.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
That's a healthy list of speakers there. No doubt you're enjoying the results... thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Ludwig

They (VMPS) are THAT good? Will not be the first time I have seen their name mentionned among the best speakers around. Your opinions on them would be most welcome... I mean 1.1, Dyn Evidence?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Frantz;

It surprised me too, but they really are world class (to my ears at least). In fact, had I not auditioned the Rockports, I would have purchased the VMPS on principle.

It's really great to see a company willng to deliver a truly high end product without the heart attack inducing margins most other high end speaker makers base their business model on.

Now the Elixirs werent much to look at, but were bested sonically only by the Genesis (slightly), and the Rockports (wider margin). At about $12,000.00 delivered (including a couple of add-ons), it really is unmatched in terms of the sound they deliver for the price.

If I get some free time this weekend, I'll try to figure out the total wholesale cost of the drivers offered on the Elixir vs the same for the $125,000 Wilson X-2 (which was also an excellent speaker that I auditioned and liked slightly less than the VMPS). I think it would be an interesting comparison.

I hope to have been of help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.