AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone?

I have a short story to tell and I figured someone out there could benefit from it.

I purchased a Dynaudio Sub 500 back in 2006. I was very excited to add it into my system as I upgraded to all Audience series speakers (82 main , 122c center and 42w rears). It came in Maple finish to match my system. Awesome. I worked with Dynaudio in the past and always was amazed on the musical abilities of there woofers. So when this baby came out , I had to have it.

Just a few weeks ago it stopped working. It blew a fuse. So I went and purchased a new fuse and it blew as soon as I turned on the amp. I called Dynaudio and they had me ship out the amp for repair. Thank god I didn't have to send the entire sub. I talked to one of the guys there "Mick" and he told me about a upgrade they have made since they released the sub. More storage caps from 80 to 100. Ok cool. I always liked the musical ability but theater always seemed a bit lacking, not for deep bass but for sheer output. I didn't feel scared like if you had a Definitive Technology Trinity in the room or a DD 15 Velo.

So The repaired amp came back and I reinstalled it into the sub. I already noticed something has changed. I had to back off my settings 2db. OK thats fine different amp , different output cool.

The Depth charge scene in U571 has been my ultimate test for a subwoofer. I'm sure if you have seen the movie, you already know why. I have it on DVD and HD DVD. So before the amp upgrade , I heard the water spashes better then feeling scared of the charges. The sub used to play deep but not output scary. Now I feel the sub has a bit of scary to it. I noticed better head room hence the new caps. It digs and shakes the room so much better. It seems to recover quicker not that it had any problems before but I noticed it's start and stop is better. I don't know what else was done to the amp other then bigger caps but it sure made a difference in my system.

My hat goes off to Dynaudio and there service department. They took care of my problem and improved on my already fantastic sub. I have always been a fan of Dynaudio but they just made that more solid.

If you own a early model Sub 300 or 500 and feel you want a bit more for theater output , then I suggest asking Dynaudio for a upgrade. The amount of money it will cost you for the upgrade will be well worth it. I don't know what it costs as I just made warranty on my repair( by like days , man it was close) but if I was out of warranty I would have paid knowing the difference in performance.

I have not tested it for music but I plan on a day today with some dynamic passes. I run my Audience 82's in small cut at 80hz and sometimes I drop to 50 hz. Depending on my mood and the material I listen to. I really prefer the Sub 500 to do all the low end extension , I'm eager to know what the new amp is going to do for music. I will report back my findings.

Has anyone else got the amp upgraded?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm sorry to dig up this old thread, hopefully you are still on here. I was wondering if you by chance took any pics of the amp before reinstalling? I have a sub300 and I'm trying to do this upgrade myself, as I learned it will cost $250-300 to have it done and I'm very comfortable installing them. I'm trying to figure out what caps they replaced in there. It looks like they went from a 80v to a 100v? Do you recall any other specs?! Was the capacity the same? Thanks for any leads!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts