AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've fallen in love with the Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE speaker. So, they are my left and right speakers.

So, now to do a 5.1 setup for home theater, and (eventually) DVD-Audio and/or SACD. I'm planning on a Dynaudio Contour T2.1 as the center speaker. However, what to do for the two surround speakers?

1) 2 more Contour 1.3 SE's. Expensive, but meets the canon that speakers be identical.

However, the local high-end audio store hinted that "why spend so much on surrounds?" Their reasoning was a) movie surround isn't that hifi, so the Contour 1.3SE's would be wasted. For DVD-Audio or SACD, they said that the singer/orchestra is in front, not on the sides, so again the Contour 1.3 SE's would be wasted. So, they suggested that I:

2) Save a few bucks and get Countour 1.3 MKII's.

OR

3) Save more bucks and get Contour 1.1's.

These are all great speakers. How pure should I be?

/eric

·
Registered
70 Posts
A review in the May SGHT recommended using a third 1.3 as a center channel rather than a T2.1. The problem with the T2.1 is that the side by side midrange/woofer drivers produce a large suckout in the midrange when listened to off axis. This is true of all center channels with this driver configuration, which is close to all center channels (the exceptions are centers, like the Aerial, that use flanking drivers just for bass). Using a 1.3 as your center assumes, of course, that you can perch a 1.3 adequately on top of your TV. For what it's worth, I use Audiences and have not been bothered by the suckout from my center, a 120c, which is basically a cheapo version of the T2.1; but my sitting area is so constrained that it is almost impossible for me to be very far off axis.

Also, I think that the position of your surrounds will dominate their sound. Because of this, it is possible you would be better off with (gulp) an Audience 42W, which is designed for wall mounting.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK...I'll go look at the SGHT article. That sounds informative.

But...no (nearby ) side walls...that's why I thought a front/back ported speaker (like the various Contours) would be interesting?

Perhaps you can elaborate on why the 42W's would be better as surrounds?

/eric

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was assuming that wall mounting was an option. That's why I suggested the 42W's as an option.

My guess is that the move from Audience 42s to the Contour 1.3MKIIs to the 1.3SEs will be the place where you will get the least bang for the buck, but I have no first hand experience with 1.3s in this role, only as a stereo pair. Given that the standard recommended mounting has the surround speakers placed well above where you would place them as a stereo pair, and given the similarity of sound across the Dynaudio line, and the good power handling of even the Audience series, I suspect that 42s will sound pretty similar to 1.3s when used as surround speakers. But you will lose a bit in terms of dynamics and so forth.

Ideally, the store should let you experiment.

·
Registered
437 Posts
first. congrats on the 1.3SE's. best mini monitor i've ever heard.

i've got the audience 50's, but as soon as my father-in-law meets his great reward i inherit the SE's.

as far as surrounds go, i totally agree with the dealer- go with 1.3mk ii's. not a great drop off in quality and these channels are not as critical. I also agree with John that a 1.3 for the center might prove better- however, i don't know if you can get the 1.3 sheilded.

finally. something you might look into is dynaudio's new in-wall speaker. haven't heard them myself, but if they are as good as dyn's other speakers you might be able to go with sides and rears of these in wall and save some space. see if your dealer knows anything about them.

good luck

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My system consists of Contour 2.8 tower mains, Contour center, Contour 1.1 surrounds and an M&K MX700 sub.

This system I've had for at least 2 years now and I find it completely satisfying and lacking nothing. Would I prefer the 1.3 mkII or SE? Probably not for the price difference. The Contour 1.1 surrounds got great reviews as mini-monitors as well.

I don't have SACD or DVDA, but listen to DD5.1 and DTS DVDs and plenty of time for CD and TT.

Bruce

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.