AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Bought in June 2010, I spent countless hours setting up and, I think, flashed new firmware along the way. However, I've got vague recollection that updating the firmware didn't go so well. I think I've blocked most of the memory of the setup sessions as these may have been traumatic. I think I may have been in a Romanian prison at this time.

Nonetheless, it has worked for me for 3+ years, except for net radio and other net functions.

And so, the other day I tried the solution with the hard reset incantation to fix the network problem. (holding buttons while you cycle power, five seconds, etc.). I ca't really say why I did that. I've not missed the net-radio function. I have some innate desire to have things in my life be in good repair. Anyone know of any good self-help books on this subject? I digress.

The result of performing the vulcan nerve pinch on my Denon AVR-3310CI is that: After changing a setting on the receiver, I loose all audio. This includes changing input, sound mode, etc. almost anything. However, the receiver does accept the change in setting and maintains it through a power cycle. And (here's the fun part) after cycling power, the audio comes back. Sigh.

And so, here's my question: If I replace the ethernet card will that fix the problem that I've created with the hard reset?

I'm thinking that, after I fix the ethernet, I should be able to update firmware and, hopefully, restore function. 

Anybody got some advice for me? It's been said that difficulties, once resolved, bring those involved together in a more meaningful way. This has applied to old British sports cars, 36 hour labors and successful couples counseling. Crutchifield has an appealing deal on the Yamaha Aventage 1020. Getting that would, surely fix my problems. However it would cost me an extra $500. 

Scott Sands

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

I fixed the problem with the dead audio. Seems that if your ethernet is out then you need to make sure that "Network Standby" is set to "off" (obtained by Manual Setup-> Network Setup-> Other-> Network Standby-> off).

So, now I'm encouraged to replace the network card. References to a howto or other advice are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
This unfortunately is a sign of the times. The cost to replace parts in modern electronics is often not financially feasible. It seems replacing the whole unit becomes the short answer. For whatever reason , the manufacturer does not want us putzing around inside the equipment and makes the parts unavailable to the public. Yet any yahoo can buy parts for a car then go out and drive it on a public street with no repair experience what so ever. I have a LG plasma that has well know issues with the zsus board. Fortunately it was common enough that someone went to the trouble of making replacements and also doing repairs and I was able to resurrect the tv by replacing the board myself. I own a AVR-3311 and also had network issues with i but managed to resolve them, though I don't use the streaming my kids do airplay to it from time to time and I like the ability to access it with my smartphone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts