AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using DVD Jr. to convert E-20 edited (i.e., use E20 to lop off extraneous video at the beginning and end of a program recorded off cable) DVD-RAM vro's to vob and author/re-burn to DVD-R for permanent archiving (NTSC). The DVD-R's i make with DVDJr don't allow the scan/shuttle (ffwd/rew) controls on my Pioneer 434 to be used. Is there something I need to add to the DVD-R Video_TS folders to get consistent scan control on my Pioneer deck? Clue: The DVDJr DVD-R doesn't even properly play back in the E20 - it freezes after hitting the menu start button on the opening menu. The DVD-RAM was originally recorded in FR speed (i.e. variable rate fill the disk mode). Used generic (Tape Resources) gold DVD-R. These same DVD-R disks do record and play back in the E20 and the Pioneer when recording directly from the video inputs or tuner of the E20 so this seems to rule out a DVD-R media compatibility problem. Only thing I can think of is some DVDJr. incompatibility either in the vro to vob conversion or associated with the DVD-R authoring. I use a simple single screen menu that simply uses the the title text of the program against a stock DVDJr. background to "start" the program. Will continue to experiment with media and "fixed"recording speed (XP, SP, etc...) DVD-RAM vro's. Any further hints or help would be appreciated.

TIA,

Vic

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
One thing certain about DVD-Jr is that it is full of "bugs."

The founder of DVD-Jr (Victor Tung), informed me that the DVD-Rs created with his program will not play on the E-20.

There is also a problem when trying to add chapter stops; the video freezes up while scrubbing from scene to scene, and the mark is usually off by a fraction of a second. This is all normal and simply the "nature of the beast" according to Mr. Tung.

Some on this forum simply copy the edited DVD-Ram back to the E-20 via a RP-91 or other Ram burner. I must admit that--to the eye--there is no generation loss using this method. But it bugs me psychologically; I'd rather not have to have the Vro files re-compressed, this is why I invested in DVD-Jr (loss-less VRO to VBO conversion).

I can't wait for a DVD recorder that will have a built in hard drive for recording the data, and a loss-less system for editing and burning the final DVD-R.

There is also a way to convert VRO to MPEG (CKNA placed a "Must Read" post several weeks ago) using a free program on the web, but for some reason my authoring program does not recognize these MPEG files.

We should keep this thread active, because one of us is bound to come up with a reasonable solution to all of this.

Peter M

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just found out that the disc I finally was able to make using DVD Junior does not play in my mother's dvd recorder either (it's an Apex 1500). More grrrr!.

I have pretty much given up on DVD Junior and considered the $99 a total loss. It makes me angry both at Panasonic for "crippling" an otherwise good program (MovieAlbum) and Victor Tung for not being terribly upfront about the severe limitations of his product. Alas, I have resigned myself to only using the DVD-RAM feature to record stuff I have no desire to keep long term. For other stuff, I use DVD-R on the E-20 and duplicate on my computer's LF-D311 drive when necessary. (Of course, this introduces a whole set of other issues which are the subject of a different topic).

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. DVDJr. is the only inexpensive authoring software I've found that allows me to author a DVD-R with AC3 audio (the audio portion of the E-20 converterd vro>vob). I guess I could strip out the audio and convert it to MPEG for Ulead, but now its starting to get a little cumbersome. I already have to transfer the vro file from my RAM disk to the hard drive for vob conversion as DVDJr. doesn't see my firewire RAM drive. Maybe I can hook up my RAM drive to my laptop and play back the DVD-RAM into the E20 using a software DVD player on the laptop and record to DVD-R. Any software DVD players that recognize and play back E20 recorded DVD-RAMs? So much for the implied promise that you can take an E20 DVD-RAM and easily manipulate and re-burn using your PC. About the DVDJr DVD-R not playing back in the E20, I thought I saw a previous post were it was reported that it would play back but at slightly degraded quality. Was this from using an earlier version of DVD-JR? Mine is ver 1.20.

Thanks,

Vic

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dave. I had an OEM version of WinDVD that did not recognize the E20 RAM's. Upgrading to Version 4 seems to have done the trick.

Vic

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aaack!!!! WinDVD 4 doesn't play well with my laptop and, therefore, I can't get a reliable, glitch free feature length playback run of the DVD-RAM's back to my E20 (to record a DVD-R). Besides, the S-Video output from my laptop is not very clean. I'm now back to square one and exasperated. :mad:

Besides the RP-91, what standalone DVD players out there support or will support DVD-RAM (E20 format vro) playback? It appears the forthcoming RP-82 will support DVD-RAM playback at a reasonable price point, but it's hard to tell from the poorly formatted post in the thread "Current and Upcoming Pany DVD Players". Besides, even if the info comes directly from the company, I don't believe it until someone has actually seen and reported that the player actually accepts a DVD-RAM disk. For the price of the RP-91, I would consider a second E20 unit, instead or maybe a TiVO.

I've given up on the stick the DVD-RAM disk in your PC DVD-RAM drive and convert away false promise (even if it was only implied).

Thanks,

Vic

P.S. The Panasonic Dual Tray DMR-E40 looks nice too...Just Kidding (I wish!)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I totally agree with you about the DVD-RAM playback. I think the format is killer, but Panasonic really needs to start pushing it. Having DVD-RAM playback in ONE upcoming unit with one currently on the market is not enough, especially if these DVD-RAM camcorders start catching on.

My guess (or is it hope?) is that some company will come up with a simple, lossless way to get DVD-RAM recordings onto a DVD-R. Although I think I have found the way - I use tmpgenc to demux my .vro and then use the resulting .m2v and .ac3 files in SpruceDVD, which is a great program. I just wish that Spruce hadn't been bought out by Apple, because now we'll never see how they could have progressed home DVD authoring on a PC.

·
Registered
87 Posts
DAve, I tried doing the demux with TMPGENC but for some reason, When I tried to download the program to SpruceUp, it gives me a "parsing error".

Have you ever seen this?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Besides Spruceup, which is no longer available, what DVD authoring programs accept the demuxed m2v and ac3 files for authoring to DVD-R?

Thanks,

Vic

·
Registered
92 Posts
I believe Dazzle DVD Complete will accept the files, the problem is that it won't accept the resolution that the Panasonic E20 produces, which is 704 instead of 720.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
vferrari,

There is DVDit, but it will only do DD 2.0 and not 5.1 which is pretty useless. There are some other programs available that will do it, but they are VERY VERY expensive. I myself bought spruceup a while ago when they started there beta program for creating Mini-DVD (Dvd on CD) and feel lucky I did since it works with today's DVD-R drives.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Chap, I agree with you except on the point of DVDit doing only DD 2.0 being useless, as that is all the Panasonic DMR-E20 records audio as. At any rate, I've found my perfect solution for taking .vro files and putting them on DVD-R.

1) Record, at any speed, including VR, on my E20

2) Demux the audio and video into .ac3 and .m2v files respectively using TMPGenc

3) Author those files in SpruceUp: put in my chapter points, make menus

The above steps have rendered PERFECT DVD-Rs for me, they even play in my RP56 beautifully, which ever other program has failed to do for me. They also play in my E20, which is something that DVDJr cannot claim and even warns agains.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Dave,

I forgot it only did 2.0. I never picked one up because I went the pc route instead because I needed it for data.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Dave Gill Quotes:

1) Record, at any speed, including VR, on my E20

2) Demux the audio and video into .ac3 and .m2v files respectively using TMPGenc

3) Author those files in SpruceUp: put in my chapter points, make menus

The above steps have rendered PERFECT DVD-Rs for me, they even play in my RP56 beautifully, which ever other program has failed to do for me. They also play in my E20, which is something that DVDJr cannot claim and even warns agains.

REPLY: Dave, would you be kind enough to list the exact steps you take when using Tempeg to convert the VRO file?

I've been following the instructions CKNA had posted, and everything seems to work fine until I try bringing the file into My-DVD; the program accepts the file, but claims it is too large to fit on a DVD.

Thanks,

Peter M

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Peter,

Do you mean DVDit PE instead of My-DVD? My-DVD does not have AC3 support. Plus it eats up disk space by converting mpeg audio to PCM. If you work with just the .m2v file (no audio), it wants to create a DVD that's about twice the size of the .m2v file. I would kill, or at least pay, for a full version of Spruceup. Why do companies (e.g., Apple) acquire perfectly good software applications and then make them unavailable to consumers? This just drives me nuts.

Vic :mad:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Videonut:

When I open TMPGENC (don't use the wizard) I got to File-->MPEG Tools and then choose the "Simple De-multiplex" tab. For the input file, browse to your .vro (you'll have to choose to view all files in the "files of type" dropdown) and it will automatically choose the file names to demux the .vro file, an .m2v and an .ac3 file. SpruceUp takes both files without a hitch.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If only one could buy SpruceUp...

I, of course, am an irate DVDit! LE owner, which won't take the demuxed files (or any mpeg file for that matter). Seems there is a glitch which makes the program unable to find a "suitable codec" for anything under Win XP. Instead of being able to fix it with a patch, which they have now REMOVED from their website, they suggest you simply "upgrade" to SE for a measly extra $300 or so. The maker, Sonic, has no customer support to speak of (I have never had any of the emails I have sent detailing the problem answered). I did discover that the problem was wide spread from their forum. I have a more friendly Panasonic tech support guy trying to beat the fix out of them (they were somewhat surprised and concerned to find out that the software shipping as part of the LF-321U DVD-RAM/R package doesn't seem to work with Windows XP). So even if a version of DVDit! does work with the demuxed files, I will never shell out even a nickel for DVDit! (or any other Sonic product).

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I believe unpaid for demo will not do 5.1 sound if I remember correctly. I could be mistaken though. A good site to learn how to use Spruce is www.dvd2dvdr.com. Spruce's main problem is that it doesn't handle aspect ratio's properly, but this site explains how to get around that.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.